So does this stop piracy

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sandeep410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sandeep410
Member since 2004 • 1180 Posts

Streaming some parts of game from a server like diablo3 did and now simcity is doing.

So there wont be anyother option other than buy the game to enjoy it.

It was one of the reason why D3 sold so well inspite of not being that great and no pvp.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Streaming some parts of game from a server like diablo3 did and now simcity is doing.

So there wont be anyother option other than buy the game to enjoy it.

It was one of the reason why D3 sold so well inspite of not being that great and no pvp.

sandeep410
pretty much unless some one hacks the system to get that info i would assume. always online dmr is sorta lame but, i don't care much. ALSO since it's always online drm they supposedly everyone's connected so everyone will have impact on the economy like prices and stuff or something on the line. I can't remember all the details but it was in a interview
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Industrial espionage? Nothing's stopped developers from offering friends free access before...

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

Nope. Diablo 3 in China was cracked with emulated servers(though it was missing content) before it even released. And there are a few vids on youtube directing viewers towards offline cracks.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
There isnt any decent work around for Diablo 3 pirated copies. So yes, it basically kills piracy at the expense of being an extremely over bearing draconian DRM for legit customers. I think pirates gave up on properly emulating Diablo 3 because it was a huge disaster anyway and a shadow of Diablo 2. As far as SimCity is concerned, it all depends on how good the game is and exactly what is being calculated on the EA servers.
rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

To be able to emulate Diablo 3 entirely...you will need the server files directly from Blizzard.

The emulators that u can find on warez sites...they are based on the DEMO!There is no emulator for D3 which works for the later levels...the AI dosent work at all...the item drops are very few...and thats about it!

Yes this is the way to stop piracy!
And please stop with this BS "draconic DRM"....i dont see you guys swearing at youtube for being an online service...or NetFlix...etc.
Who said the game content must be all on the disc or hdd??Where is this rule? You dont have internet connection you dont buy it!!!EASY AS THAT!

Phelaidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Phelaidar
Member since 2005 • 1533 Posts

To be able to emulate Diablo 3 entirely...you will need the server files directly from Blizzard.

The emulators that u can find on warez sites...they are based on the DEMO!There is no emulator for D3 which works for the later levels...the AI dosent work at all...the item drops are very few...and thats about it!

And please stop with this BS "draconic DRM"....i dont see you guys swearing at youtube for being an online service...or NetFlix...etc.
Who said the game content must be all on the disc or hdd??Where is this rule? You dont have internet connection you dont buy it!!!EASY AS THAT!

rhazzy
Servers get shut down and people like to play where there might be no internet... You're paying for a full package, so should receive a full package. It's like buying a blu-ray film and and having to prove it's yours to see the ending.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

rhazzy

There's so many holes in this post I don't know where to begin

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

rhazzy
The problem with this is that a youtube video and a video game are two different types of media. What if your connection is slow like mine was sometimes on dsl? Imagine playing CoD online where split second timing is important. Now imagine your connection is slow. You'd be pulling your hair out because the other guy's ping is really low on cable internet and yours is high on dsl and they've got you throttled back because you reached your data limit. You'd be getting owned all over the place because of slow internet.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Yes, until they shut down the servers which would stop everything.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Not entirely, but it is pretty effective. Probably the most effective DRM. It does stop sales though. It sold so well because it was a Blizzard game, and because it had Diablo in the name. I couldn't believe the number of people who said something like "normally I wouldn't buy this form of DRM, BUT THIS IS DIABLO HOLMES." Ok, very few people said holmes, but you get the idea.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Nowadays mobile games need an internet connection to run, people worrying about this stuff are living in the wrong time period.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
It just delays it a bit longer. Diablo 3 has been pirated for months if torrent sites are to be believed.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DanielDust
It just delays it a bit longer. Diablo 3 has been pirated for months if torrent sites are to be believed.JohnF111
There's nothing to delay or crack, Diablo is like WoW, it can't be cracked, those that want to do such a thing need to recreate the game from scratch, art, models, etc and program everything into the game.
ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
Haha no, Diablo III sold well because it's a Blizzard game. I would like to see another company try it and fail miserably.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
No, server streaming is silly and I won't buy any games that use that. How will these games be played 10-20 years from now? What if you had to download world 8 of Super Mario World? I prefer games that come as one package and can be played offline.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JohnF111
[QUOTE="JohnF111"]It just delays it a bit longer. Diablo 3 has been pirated for months if torrent sites are to be believed.DanielDust
There's nothing to delay or crack, Diablo is like WoW, it can't be cracked, those that want to do such a thing need to recreate the game from scratch, art, models, etc and program everything into the game.

Wow I thought the whole game was available by now. Oh well guess the pirates will be all "So what the game sucks anyway, there are better games!" :lol: Serves them right.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

rhazzy

Not sure if I 100% agree with you, but you make a point. There are several threds made about people complaining they can't max a game. The usual retort to said thread is "get better hardware." I can see the same argument with this issue made as "get a better internet connection."

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JohnF111

[QUOTE="rhazzy"]

Cwagmire21

Not sure if I 100% agree with you, but you make a point. There are several threds made about people complaining they can't max a game. The usual retort to said thread is "get better hardware." I can see the same argument with this issue made as "get a better internet connection."

I can see responses of "bu bu but I live in Amishville and don't have access to faster better broadband therefore it's the devs fault for not catering to me directly".
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

rhazzy
But is it a way to get those would be pirates to buy your game? My guess is that most of them still won't buy your game.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DanielDust

[QUOTE="rhazzy"]

Lost-to-Apathy

But is it a way to get those would be pirates to buy your game? My guess is that most of them still won't buy your game.

You can't have an accurate estimate for those kind of buyers, but there are obviously only two real sides to a product, those that don't buy and those that do buy, if somebody wants a game, they will buy it, if not they won't, the "oh I pirated your game, played to death, finished - or played for a while, till a point - and enjoyed it a lot, you guys probably deserve my money when the game will be much cheaper" kind of people are not that many and certainly aren't the kind of customers you'd rely on to sell your product.

Such DRM completely eliminates the side that pirates, why should, let's say, 40 million enjoy a game, when only 1 mill actually supports the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

[QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"][QUOTE="rhazzy"]

DanielDust

You can't have an accurate estimate for those kind of buyers, but there are obviously only two real sides to a product, those that don't buy and those that do buy, if somebody wants a game, they will buy it, if not they won't, the "oh I pirated your game, played to death, finished - or played for a while, till a point - and enjoyed it a lot, you guys probably deserve my money when the game will be much cheaper" kind of people are not that many and certainly aren't the kind of customers you'd rely on to sell your product.

Such DRM completely eliminates the side that pirates, why should, let's say, 40 million enjoy a game, when only 1 mill actually supports the game.

Uh, because those 40 million wouldn't buy it anyways and you'd be screwing the 1 million who would.

From a personal standpoint, I'd like to play the game, but I won't buy it unless it's dirt cheap because of the DRM.  Same with SimCity.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DanielDust

That wasn't a will not buy argument it was a, they will all play what they didn't spend a single cent on, will not buy anyway is just nonsense to use when such drm makes sure they get what they pay for, which is nothing.

Anyway wish you luck on avoiding such games, it will be the standard in the near future.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#24 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

[QUOTE="rhazzy"]

wis3boi

There's so many holes in this post I don't know where to begin

Constructive as always...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

That wasn't a will not buy argument it was a, they will all play what they didn't spend a single cent on, will not buy anyway is just nonsense to use when such drm makes sure they get what they pay for, which is nothing.

Anyway wish you luck on avoiding such games, it will be the standard in the near future.

DanielDust
I think I see what you're saying but the line drawing between customers and everyone else has proven unsuccessful. Ubisoft has backed down from it because of that. I don't think it's beneficial to view everybody not buying the game as "everybody else" and instead view them as "potential customers." To turn potential customers into real customers, you have to offer them something more to make it seem worthwhile to them. Being able to come back to play a game ten years from now, without worrying about all their systems based on non-customers is something very valuable to me. I also highly doubt it will be the standard as many more games are being released without much DRM at all than those with always on. Even the bigger games. I can't see where the value would be in preventing over half the world from buying your product. The old publisher model is dying, and I especially don't think the smaller publishers will see value in that. It's all speculation either way though.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

No it doesn't stop piracy. There are ways to get around all forms of drm 

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

No it doesn't stop piracy. There are ways to get around all forms of drm 

James161324

So far, no one has successfully done that for Diablo 3. The cracked copies that are available are based on the demo, and the game systems (AI, Loot drops, etc.) are completely broken past that point. Any pirate site claiming to have a fully functioning offline cracked copy of Diablo 3 is lying.

Either way, that still isn't going to "stop piracy". People hate always online DRM. Diablo 3 gets away with it for a couple reasons. 1: Even though some people play ARPGs like that single player, most people play them multiplayer, and wouldn't have been wanting to play offline anyway. And 2: It's Blizzard. And it's Diablo. So even though it's effectively stopped piracy for that particular game, single player games aren't going to move into that kind of DRM, if publishers know what's good for them.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

guynamedbilly

I think I see what you're saying but the line drawing between customers and everyone else has proven unsuccessful. Ubisoft has backed down from it because of that. I don't think it's beneficial to view everybody not buying the game as "everybody else" and instead view them as "potential customers." To turn potential customers into real customers, you have to offer them something more to make it seem worthwhile to them. Being able to come back to play a game ten years from now, without worrying about all their systems based on non-customers is something very valuable to me. I also highly doubt it will be the standard as many more games are being released without much DRM at all than those with always on. Even the bigger games. I can't see where the value would be in preventing over half the world from buying your product. The old publisher model is dying, and I especially don't think the smaller publishers will see value in that. It's all speculation either way though.

Companies never really cared much about their customers, otherwise DRM wouldn't have been invented, everyone uses DRM even companies that like to "act" friendly towards their "friends". Prety much any developer nowadays admits that any game needs online components (not limited to multiplayer) and those that still try to hide their plans to completely monitor their products, hide behind "oh, games nowadays need community features and ways the be permanently connected to your friends and/or the community and/or achievements/leaderboards/etc", but in short everything is going into that direction, always online, OSs, random software, even those made purely for productivity (like Adobe for example, they're fans of online features that need you permanently connected) and especially games, it's easier to adapt your game and controll it yourself than to spend more money on 3rd party DRM (that almost every single game nowadays uses, even some indies, don't know what games you got to say that DRMless games started to be more common).

It's just like any major change was before, "WHAT? I NEED TO INPUT KEYS INTO MY GAMES?" the first few that tried got scared by the reactions, but more devs tried it and it immediately became THE way you install games, even today, then DRM "I'll sue, burn in hell, what is this trash, what the fudge is going on with you people" then those few companies that started, tried to back down, but then a lot more companies started using DRM and now it's THE thing, now always online, we're already past the "shy introduction" part, we're at "more companies considering" and as I mentioned, it's not just with gaming.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

This is pretty much the only solution.

Unfortunate, but I'm willing to put up with it if it stomps out piracy on PC.

It's a huge problem, and those free-loading jack-@sses are ruining our platform. Diablo 3 shows that a popular game on PC could sells 10+ million copies... IF no one could pirate it.  Diablo 3 would have sold 4 million copies TOPS if they had released a fully working single player client. Maybe even less.

Hell, the success of free to play games shows the same thing. Give away the client, and suddenly even the worthless pirates will jump in, to the tune of tens of millions (league of legends for example).

I hate pirates, I hate what they've done to my platform. PC exclusives are almost entirely multi-player online experiences now And I LOVE single player experiences, which are now almost gone thanks to them.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

It's a huge problem, and those free-loading jack-@sses are ruining our platform. Diablo 3 shows that a popular game on PC could sells 10+ million copies... IF no one could pirate it.  Diablo 3 would have sold 4 million copies TOPS if they had released a fully working single player client. Maybe even less.

Hell, the success of free to play games shows the same thing. Give away the client, and suddenly even the worthless pirates will jump in, to the tune of tens of millions (league of legends for example).

I hate pirates, I hate what they've done to my platform. PC exclusives are almost entirely multi-player online experiences now And I LOVE single player experiences, which are now almost gone thanks to them.

Kinthalis

Diablo 3 sold 10 million becuase its blizzard and they have a cult basically, not becuase it was hard to pirate 

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

James161324

Diablo 3 sold 10 million becuase its blizzard and they have a cult basically, not becuase it was hard to pirate 

They have a cult of 12 million gamers?

Oh please.  The reason they sold that many copes is becuase:

1- despite the vocal minority of haters, it was a pretty good game. 

2. It was well marketed and highly anticipated.

3. It could not be pirated.

Have you seen the comments on Diablo 3 torrents?  It's like thousands of lines of people asking for a crack, and then thousands more of people giving up and saying that they'll go buy the game.

If Blizzard had released a single player client that fully worked off-line, I guarantee you, they would not have sold half as many copies.  Star Craft 2 was easily as anticipated as Diablo 3, IMHO. It sold like, what, 3-4 million copies in the same amout of time as Diablo 3?  The main difference? You could pirate the single player portion of that game.

sandeep410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sandeep410
Member since 2004 • 1180 Posts
Diablo3 sold well bec it coudnt be pirated. 10m is a huge number for PC even for diablo. Heck no1 except for minecraft even got close to that number. It would have sold 5-6m Max had it could be pirated. Witcher2 didnt had any DRM and it sold like crap.
GD-1369211121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GD-1369211121
Member since 2006 • 4087 Posts

Does anyone else hate having to depend on your internet connection to play a single player game? I sure do. How about finding another solution to combat piracy without inconveniencing those of us whom are not pirates.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
I wouldn't even waste my bandwidth on a game that requires me to be online 100% of the time. A business can't even guarantee 100% uptime, it's not possible. You also never own the product and can't play the game unless they say so. So it's an inherently flawed concept. If you give money to this kind of bullcrap you're a sheep and an idiot.
GD-1369211121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GD-1369211121
Member since 2006 • 4087 Posts
I wouldn't even waste my bandwidth on a game that requires me to be online 100% of the time. A business can't even guarantee 100% uptime, it's not possible. You also never own the product and can't play the game unless they say so. So it's an inherently flawed concept. If you give money to this kind of bullcrap you're a sheep and an idiot.SKaREO
On top of that, I have probably the least reliable internet on the planet.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10452 Posts

if they're using apache to serve requests then, steady internet connection or not, it'll be unreliable, even though i'm sure they have some serious server hardware.

if theyre using a more recent server type like nginx (maybe node is too new) then there's a better chance of consistency because, unlike apache, its insanely scalable and uses a fraction of apache's system resources

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
Just going to point out that wow have been cracked since beta. yes the get updates a lot later (they are like a year after or so) but its still cracked. Cant comment on D3 But everything is possible to crack unless you stream it. The server need to send the data to the client you can use said data to create a base for the game. Ofc you need to add some things on your own but well most of the people that play on a pirated server dont care about the wait.
KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 KodiakKoolaid
Member since 2012 • 443 Posts
It certainly is effective as it is extremely difficult to crack if part of the game requires server side data to function, but as a consumer what happens several years down the line and the servers get shutdown for some reason or another? I think while piracy is reduced, sales will also be much less then it should be, unless the game is super popular and overhyped like diablo 3.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]No, server streaming is silly and I won't buy any games that use that. How will these games be played 10-20 years from now? What if you had to download world 8 of Super Mario World? I prefer games that come as one package and can be played offline.

I never got to world 8 on super mario word :(
rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rhazzy

No, server streaming is silly and I won't buy any games that use that. How will these games be played 10-20 years from now? What if you had to download world 8 of Super Mario World? I prefer games that come as one package and can be played offline.YoshiYogurt

Then you no need to worry about this things...Mario World will be the only kind of game you will be playing

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JohnF111
I wouldn't even waste my bandwidth on a game that requires me to be online 100% of the time. A business can't even guarantee 100% uptime, it's not possible. You also never own the product and can't play the game unless they say so. So it's an inherently flawed concept. If you give money to this kind of bullcrap you're a sheep and an idiot.SKaREO
I guess you don't have broadband since like you say, "a business can't guarantee 100% uptime", or a mobile phone because anything less than 100% uptime is a waste of bandwidth and money. :roll:
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SKaREO
[QUOTE="SKaREO"]I wouldn't even waste my bandwidth on a game that requires me to be online 100% of the time. A business can't even guarantee 100% uptime, it's not possible. You also never own the product and can't play the game unless they say so. So it's an inherently flawed concept. If you give money to this kind of bullcrap you're a sheep and an idiot.JohnF111
I guess you don't have broadband since like you say, "a business can't guarantee 100% uptime", or a mobile phone because anything less than 100% uptime is a waste of bandwidth and money. :roll:

You're a perfect example of the people throwing money at this bullcrap. An idiot who can't even form a reasonable understanding of what you're purchasing. You are buying a license to play a game that is only playable when the company says you can play it. You're never going to be able to mod the game. You're never going to be able to play it on a laptop while you travel. You're never going to be able to play it after they stop supporting it. Why would you put yourself through that kind of bullcrap just to play a subpar video game? Moron.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JohnF111
[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="SKaREO"]I wouldn't even waste my bandwidth on a game that requires me to be online 100% of the time. A business can't even guarantee 100% uptime, it's not possible. You also never own the product and can't play the game unless they say so. So it's an inherently flawed concept. If you give money to this kind of bullcrap you're a sheep and an idiot.SKaREO

You're a perfect example of the people throwing money at this bullcrap. An idiot who can't even form a reasonable understanding of what you're purchasing. You are buying a license to play a game that is only playable when the company says you can play it. You're never going to be able to mod the game. You're never going to be able to play it on a laptop while you travel. You're never going to be able to play it after they stop supporting it. Why would you put yourself through that kind of bullcrap just to play a subpar video game? Moron.

I know exactly what I'm buying, I just play games and not licenses. If I didn't like what I was being offered I can always no buy it and be happy playing something else. Games aren't a right, they're like everything else in the world, if one company doesn't have something you want then go to a different one. Either buy it or don't buy it but please stop blowing it out of proportion with the "if it doesn't have 100% uptime then screw them". Don't be so damn serious all the time it's just another product in a sea of other similar products to choose from.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DanielDust
[QUOTE="sandeep410"]Diablo3 sold well bec it coudnt be pirated. 10m is a huge number for PC even for diablo. Heck no1 except for minecraft even got close to that number. It would have sold 5-6m Max had it could be pirated. Witcher2 didnt had any DRM and it sold like crap.

A niche game, from an unknown developer, with an unknown series will obviously not be able to compete with big names, in fact the extremely good sales of Witcher 2 make it seem pretty plausible (don't read only the titles, crap was just used in titles on websites looking for drama and attention, the only thing devs said was that it's depressing to see that only half of the people playing Witcher 2 paid for it), Diablo 3 being able to sell close to 10 mill even if it'd be vulnerable to pirates.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SKaREO
[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] I guess you don't have broadband since like you say, "a business can't guarantee 100% uptime", or a mobile phone because anything less than 100% uptime is a waste of bandwidth and money. :roll:

I know exactly what I'm buying, I just play games and not licenses. If I didn't like what I was being offered I can always no buy it and be happy playing something else. Games aren't a right, they're like everything else in the world, if one company doesn't have something you want then go to a different one. Either buy it or don't buy it but please stop blowing it out of proportion with the "if it doesn't have 100% uptime then screw them". Don't be so damn serious all the time it's just another product in a sea of other similar products to choose from.

Only, there's no other product in the world that compares to this type of highway robbery. If I buy a book I can read it whenever the hell I please, wherever the hell I please. If I buy a video I can watch it whenever I please, wherever I please. Now you're trying to tell me this is the same as a video game that requires you to always be online? Hell no. No other "product" in the world can say the same thing. Technically what they are doing is barely even legal, but since they aren't selling "products" at all anymore, they can get away with this. Also, you should know by now, I don't buy EA games anyway. Doesn't mean I won't comment on their despicable business practices.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JohnF111

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="SKaREO"] You're a perfect example of the people throwing money at this bullcrap. An idiot who can't even form a reasonable understanding of what you're purchasing. You are buying a license to play a game that is only playable when the company says you can play it. You're never going to be able to mod the game. You're never going to be able to play it on a laptop while you travel. You're never going to be able to play it after they stop supporting it. Why would you put yourself through that kind of bullcrap just to play a subpar video game? Moron.SKaREO

Only, there's no other product in the world that compares to this type of highway robbery. If I buy a book I can read it whenever the hell I please, wherever the hell I please. If I buy a video I can watch it whenever I please, wherever I please. Now you're trying to tell me this is the same as a video game that requires you to always be online? Hell no. No other "product" in the world can say the same thing. Technically what they are doing is barely even legal, but since they aren't selling "products" at all anymore, they can get away with this. Also, you should know by now, I don't buy EA games anyway. Doesn't mean I won't comment on their despicable business practices.

Don't like it don't buy it. More for me. Some products just don't work in certain environments, I can't use a towel when I'm the middle of a heavy downpour, an umbrella is more appropriate, those terrible evil towel companies telling me where and when to use my towels are just evil and terrible and bad and should deal with my needs directly.

Stick to games that can be used on a laptop whenever you have internet instead of whining about the ones that don't.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Yeah, it probably does slow piracy (not sure if anything will ever stop it) but it also guarantees the I won't be purchasing your game.  I will never buy a single-player game that requires me to be on-line to play it.  Never. It's just that simple.  Require me to activate the game once and register it, fine, but stay connected while I play?  Nope, not going to happen.  

I'm actually encouraged that Europe is mandating that companies allow the re-sale of digital games.  Chalk one up for the consumers, at least the European ones, I guess.  Sadly, we would never impose such meddling restrictions and regulations on our beloved job creators.

synxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 synxz
Member since 2004 • 148 Posts
Definitely love online-always games, even if they're single player focused. Don't care if people don't wanna buy it, the company can survive with my contribution of 60$ only hellea yeah. I'm gonna defend them since I have the avenues inline with these drm, surely these fair companies won;t push me any further. -Thoughts from naive persons
dreamerdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 dreamerdonkey
Member since 2012 • 82 Posts

It is something like that, you buy a dress from a shop and you can only wear it when the shop allow you to wear it. Other wise you are a naked person. That's how the DRM actually work. I pay full amount for a game but I have to assure them its me playing and not only that they can disable the server whenever they wish. Why? We are the consumers here. The product is made for us. And once we purchase a product its completely depend on us how are we going to use it (I mean online, offline whatever line). If the company disagree then don't tell video game is a product, change its name to comodity.

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rhazzy

Stop with the retard comparisons....

I dont see u guys complain about not being able to drive your

cars anywhere else than the streets...

Â