Show us your stuff

This topic is locked from further discussion.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127523 Posts

@insane_metalist said:
@horgen said:

@insane_metalist: That won't be anytime soon. The shop I am working in is closing next week. So I am out of a job next week :(

Ahh I feel you on that, last two companies I worked at did that to me.

Well no one could stop this one. Everyone lost their job. Yes that includes even my boss. Because I've been there for a while, I have two months where I still get paid, even if I am not working.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#52 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@horgen said:
@insane_metalist said:
@horgen said:

@insane_metalist: That won't be anytime soon. The shop I am working in is closing next week. So I am out of a job next week :(

Ahh I feel you on that, last two companies I worked at did that to me.

Well no one could stop this one. Everyone lost their job. Yes that includes even my boss. Because I've been there for a while, I have two months where I still get paid, even if I am not working.

Company I worked for got closed down in Denver. They were moving it to Texas or something so everyone here lost their jobs too.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 horgen  Moderator

@insane_metalist said:

Company I worked for got closed down in Denver. They were moving it to Texas or something so everyone here lost their jobs too.

How long did it take you to get a new job?

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#54  Edited By elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 horgen  Moderator

@elessarGObonzo: Looks quite nice!

Personally I would minor adjustments to the wiring, but that is just me.Speaking of which, I will do it on my computer one day now. Speaking of which, I think I shall go through my cable management again.

Anyone here know if any stores sells SATA power cables that do not have 3-4 inches between the connectors?

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By elessarGObonzo

@horgen: have never found any without 3 connectors ~3" apart. looked a few years ago even for shorter single plug sata power cables and couldn't find any for sale. even some sleeved more flexible power cables would be nice.

have a ziplock bag full of fat black twisty-ties and snap-in plastic cable management ties but have gone through a lot of review items and got very sick of untwisting\tying and refitting. eventually it'll get a semi-permanent cable-management setup in there. just moved two HDs to an external dock so it's getting a little clean up today.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By RenegadeSteve
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

Here's my first PC build completed 8/24/14... You never forget the date from your first time know what I'm saying huh huh, no man I'm not talking doing the dirty I've never done that but anyways here the picture.

$1200 something for components but with the chair and desk it totaled $1535.

Was originally going to spend $2500 but I ended up playing some of my student loans off with it.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@elessarGObonzo said:

@horgen: have never found any without 3 connectors ~3" apart. looked a few years ago even for shorter single plug sata power cables and couldn't find any for sale. even some sleeved more flexible power cables would be nice.

have a ziplock bag full of fat black twisty-ties and snap-in plastic cable management ties but have gone through a lot of review items and got very sick of untwisting\tying and refitting. eventually it'll get a semi-permanent cable-management setup in there. just moved two HDs to an external dock so it's getting a little clean up today.

Damn. Perhaps I shall email Corsair about it. I could get lucky and win the lottery I mean :P

I wish my case was slightly bigger, like gave me another 1/2' where the cables go. It is more messy than I like and it has partly to do with that :(

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I decided to replace the old Phenom II X3 720BE (with GT 730 video card) PC my youngest kid had been using with an AMD A10-7850K APU.

I forgot to take photos of the parts in my eldest kid's gaming PC. I won't forget this time around. Well the boxes, anyway. He He.

It's weird not to hear a video card whirring inside. I would say graphics performance of the R7 7850K is a bit short of the GTX 660m in my laptop which is itself a bit short of a desktop HD 5770. Win 7 WEI for gaming graphics is 6.8. Not bad for integrated graphics.....

Mannimarco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#60 Mannimarco
Member since 2015 • 41 Posts

I'm too embarrassed to post my main desktop, seeing as how all your guys PCs compare to it. I will, however, give you some details. It's an old-ish "gaming" PC that I built out of a mix of old parts from a 2008 build (case, fans, psu, drives, HDD) and some new parts for around $100. I have many old PC's that I like to tinker with, some newer, some vintage, as old as 1983. I have my old tandy computers, IBM's, old pc's up to the year 2000. My Radioshack Tandy Model 4 won't even let you put in a year past 1990 when it prompts the user for date and time. I also have a nice windows 95 packard bell, my pride and joy. Play a lot of MS-DOS and Windows 9x games on that old beast with a Pentium MMX-166 CPU and 64 mb ram, and a whopping 2.1 gb IDE HDD! Anyway, I'll quit yapping about the old stuff. My main desktop is an asrock AMD socket AM3+ motherboard, supports both DDR2 and DDR3 (I use DDR2). I've installed a AMD Athlon II x3 450 tri core CPU, a reused Nvidia Quadro video card, 4 DVD ODD's, 1 internal USB multi card reader, Panasonic 3.5 inch floppy drive (for legacy stuff). The neat thing about this board is all the legacy features (IDE controllers for FDD and HDD/ODD). I reused a PSU from 2008 (a cheapie one). And thats about it.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 jun_aka_pekto

@mannimarco said:

I'm too embarrassed to post my main desktop, seeing as how all your guys PCs compare to it. I will, however, give you some details. It's an old-ish "gaming" PC that I built out of a mix of old parts from a 2008 build (case, fans, psu, drives, HDD) and some new parts for around $100. I have many old PC's that I like to tinker with, some newer, some vintage, as old as 1983. I have my old tandy computers, IBM's, old pc's up to the year 2000. My Radioshack Tandy Model 4 won't even let you put in a year past 1990 when it prompts the user for date and time. I also have a nice windows 95 packard bell, my pride and joy. Play a lot of MS-DOS and Windows 9x games on that old beast with a Pentium MMX-166 CPU and 64 mb ram, and a whopping 2.1 gb IDE HDD! Anyway, I'll quit yapping about the old stuff. My main desktop is an asrock AMD socket AM3+ motherboard, supports both DDR2 and DDR3 (I use DDR2). I've installed a AMD Athlon II x3 450 tri core CPU, a reused Nvidia Quadro video card, 4 DVD ODD's, 1 internal USB multi card reader, Panasonic 3.5 inch floppy drive (for legacy stuff). The neat thing about this board is all the legacy features (IDE controllers for FDD and HDD/ODD). I reused a PSU from 2008 (a cheapie one). And thats about it.

Nothing to be ashamed of. There are many areas in the world where PC gamers are still gaming below 1080p, probably still using a CRT monitor. I'd keep my really old stuff if my wife didn't raise a fuss about having so much "junk."

I still have a dualcore 2.6 Ghz "Wolfdale" Celeron with an 8600GT video card. It's in a beige case and still has a floppy drive.

I also have an old Athlon XP 1700+ PC from 2001. I'm not getting rid of it because of the motherboard which is an ASUS A7M266. It was a legend during its time.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#62  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17853 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I decided to replace the old Phenom II X3 720BE (with GT 730 video card) PC my youngest kid had been using with an AMD A10-7850K APU.

I forgot to take photos of the parts in my eldest kid's gaming PC. I won't forget this time around. Well the boxes, anyway. He He.

It's weird not to hear a video card whirring inside. I would say graphics performance of the R7 7850K is a bit short of the GTX 660m in my laptop which is itself a bit short of a desktop HD 5770. Win 7 WEI for gaming graphics is 6.8. Not bad for integrated graphics.....

Are you punishing your kids with that hardware? Have they been bad? Hehe ;) I am sure they will still have fun regardless.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@BassMan said:

Are you punishing your kids with that hardware? Have they been bad? Hehe ;) I am sure they will still have fun regardless.

My youngest kid is only 7 years old. All she cares about is MInecraft and mods. I will never buy my kids a real gaming PC.

Of course, my eldest daughter is the exception because she is legally an adult although she still doesn't act like one. But, an adult is an adult. That's why she has an i5 4670k paired with an MSI R9 290x. Damn kid has a better PC than me.

Let her enjoy for a while.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By BassMan  Online

@jun_aka_pekto: Well, your eldest daughter must be smart. She convinced her daddy to buy her a decent rig or she paid for it herself. Either way... she is one up on daddy. hehe :)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@BassMan said:

@jun_aka_pekto: Well, your eldest daughter must be smart. She convinced her daddy to buy her a decent rig or she paid for it herself. Either way... she is one up on daddy. hehe :)

Actually, it's part of her graduation present. She wanted what I would buy if I was assembling a mid-range rig today. Plus, she mentioned no "hand-me-downs." He He. This time, she wanted everything brand new.

Actually, if I was assembling a new rig today, I'd probably go for a hexacore Intel i7 and a GTX 970. The specs above were last year's. ☺

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By BassMan  Online

@jun_aka_pekto: Nice. Hopefully you got her into gaming too. We want her having fun and making use of the hardware. :)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 jun_aka_pekto

@BassMan said:

@jun_aka_pekto: Nice. Hopefully you got her into gaming too. We want her having fun and making use of the hardware. :)

She is into gaming. She has her own client accounts and have at least 2x the games I have. She was bugging me for two years to assemble her a new PC.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 jun_aka_pekto

Nowadays, it would be silly to keep a gaming PC inside the nook of a computer desk. My desk has a computer nook that goes to waste most of the time. But, with central air conditioning and a ceiling fan keeping the room cool, I found out I can keep my PC in the computer nook with the side panel removed and keeping the nook door open whenever the PC is powered up.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 elessarGObonzo

@jun_aka_pekto said:

nice tv there. retro themed?

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 insane_metalist

@pcdc650: I really like those new EVGA SLI bridges. I have two of the previous gen and they're still sexy but I have no use for them right now :/ How are those Titan X's treating you?

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@pcdc650: Yeah, I knew you'd come round

Now we're brothers from another mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-579f651eab962

@pcdc650: Yeah I'm on the notify list for the EVGA one but it's not available yet here. I'd prefer the ROG one though. I might not even bother with either. I'm also waiting for the EVGA AIO cooler which I'll be grabbing. Both of my cards have the lowest ASIC's I've ever had so they should love the water.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#78  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

So, I tried SLI again...

Meh... Still prefer single cards. :P

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 insane_metalist

@pcdc650 said:

@insane_metalist: They're both running great! Love being able to rip through games. I thought that they would run too hot and loud but they usually stay around 60-70c with a custom profile which I can't really hear over my speakers. I had to fresh install Windows 8.1 since Windows 10 was way too buggy for me.

Haha, it better rip through games, it's one beast of a system, congrats!

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

So, I tried SLI again...

Meh... Still prefer single cards. :P

Those are SLI GTX 970's? What don't you like about SLI? I've had a two card setup for the past year and a half.. and it's always nice to have another card to push more FPS.
If you really want a single card setup then sell your 970's and get a 980 Ti. One of those will keep you happy.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#80  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

@insane_metalist:

The SLI artifacts like flickering.

Yeah, they are Zotac Extreme AMP! Core Edition with 1380 MHz boost clock and 7200 MHz mem from factory.

I got a 67% ASIC on my second card. Boosts to 1417. Adding the second card made my top card about 15c hotter. So it's hitting 70c. Bottom card though is running 55c. Just like my top one did before I put the other in.

My top throttles once 13 MHz and it has a ASIC rating of 71% (max boost before throttle is 1430). So now it's hitting 1417.

My 2x 140mm exhaust fans feel like blow dryers now lol. About 190 more watts added to my power bill too.

I didn't want to try and sell my 970 I already have. I figure I'll use these 2 cards for about 2 years and do another system build.

I'm only 1 FPS average less then a stock 980 SLI setup. I should be happy I guess.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 horgen  Moderator

@klunt_bumskrint: What do you have between the Titan Xs there?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962

@horgen: Soundblaster Z, I've moved it now to just under the bottom one.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By insane_metalist

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

@insane_metalist:

The SLI artifacts like flickering.

Yeah, they are Zotac Extreme AMP! Core Edition with 1380 MHz boost clock and 7200 MHz mem from factory.

I got a 67% ASIC on my second card. Boosts to 1417. Adding the second card made my top card about 15c hotter. So it's hitting 70c. Bottom card though is running 55c. Just like my top one did before I put the other in.

My top throttles once 13 MHz and it has a ASIC rating of 71% (max boost before throttle is 1430). So now it's hitting 1417.

My 2x 140mm exhaust fans feel like blow dryers now lol. About 190 more watts added to my power bill too.

I didn't want to try and sell my 970 I already have. I figure I'll use these 2 cards for about 2 years and do another system build.

I'm only 1 FPS average less then a stock 980 SLI setup. I should be happy I guess.

All those things come with SLI/Crossfire setups. Specially those type of temperatures are normal for SLI.
You should for sure be happy. Those 970's overclock quiet well but you can get much more out of that memory, enjoy them.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

MY new Sapphire R9 290 Vapor X came in today via Amazon. Card looks sweet and love the performance gain from my old 7850. It barely squeezes in my NZXT Source 210 case. There's a little bit wiggle space.

Next purchase will be a water cooling unit for my CPU.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 horgen  Moderator

@klunt_bumskrint: When you have modified the bios on your cards... Do GPU-Z shows the correct clocks for you? Mine doesn't. It does show the right clocks for memory but not for core. Stuck at the old one my cards used to have. (1059 base, 1124 boost)... Not 1254 which is my current boost clock. (dunno what base clock is now).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-579f651eab962

@horgen: Sorry chap, notifications not working again for me :(

as long as the card boosts to what it should don't worry about it. Some modded bios' don't read properly. Did you use -protectoff when you flashed?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 horgen  Moderator

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@horgen: Sorry chap, notifications not working again for me :(

as long as the card boosts to what it should don't worry about it. Some modded bios' don't read properly. Did you use -protectoff when you flashed?

Don't remember... Don't think so.I followed a guide on youtube.

Notifications aren't working properly for me either. Didn't get this one I believe.

Anyhow have they stopped making 30mm thick radiators these days?

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 insane_metalist

@CWEBB04z: That Vapor X 290 fits in that tiny NZXT 210? That's pretty impressive, it's sorta a smaller mid tower. The card looks great with the rest of blue theme.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#91 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

sorry about the mess :D

this is my setup :))))))))))))))

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 horgen  Moderator

@Jawad2007: Looks cool. Like the desk, although I could never fit my current set up on it =/

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#93 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

@horgen: thanks , you could 1.5 m width , the picture i took is crappy :P

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 horgen  Moderator

@Jawad2007 said:

@horgen: thanks , you could 1.5 m width , the picture i took is crappy :P

I got a 34inch 21:9 monitor and a 24inch 16:10 monitor next to each others... Hmm it would actually fit. My current desk is 150cm wide I believe. Though it looks much wider than yours when I compare it. I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 elessarGObonzo

it's taken quite a while for the GPUs to get nice looking . i love all the LED options and manufacturer logos showing now for most aftermarket cards. all the older GPUs i'd owned had heat pipes and wires showing through my side windows.

AdamK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 AdamK47
Member since 2003 • 1127 Posts

Found this photo online somewhere.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By BassMan  Online

@AdamK47: I want your 4 way SLI Titan X build. Hehe :)

It seems like you have a lot of extra space to work with. Ever considered a better desk setup?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962

Adams annual post

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By BassMan  Online

New Build! Sorta...

I recently swapped out my 970 SLI for a 980 Ti G1. The beast would not fit in my old NZXT Apollo case. So, I had to buy a new case. I bought the Fractal Design Define R5. Here are some pics of my updated build. All specs up to date in my signature.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 deactivated-579f651eab962

@BassMan: What was wrong with the 970's? or did you just have the itch.