Rome 2, your thoughts?

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sn4k3_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 sn4k3_64
Member since 2007 • 1134 Posts

Hi all, well I just bought total war rome 2 as I have been craving an rts to play recently, however if you check the official forums it does not look good at all. Many players are very dissapointed/angry of the state of the game and now I am feeling slightly worried about my purchase. What do you think of it so far and when do you think patches will be released?

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts
I think it's a fun game regardless of the framerate issues. I'm only in the prologue campaign still because of school, but once the weekend starts then I'll be on it more.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Framerate issue is annoying but they can fix that. Overall they made a lot of drastic changes to the core of the formula. I have yet to really dig into the campaign to see how they all work together.

It could be the best Total War game ever made if it wasn't so buggy and rushed. Once they patch the game it will be amazing.

gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts
It's a CA game, give it a month or so for the technical issues to work out. Still, I pre ordered it but cannot find time to play :(
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#5 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I don't really care for the UI, but I can probably get used to it. I have yet to really dig into it and I'll be needing a new graphics card. Rome II makes my 275GTX beg for mercy. I can hardly wait for the 800 series next year.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Tick on "Use full video memory" and set your settigns to medium/high. It should be stable and playable. Once we get new drivers from AMD/Nvidia, and a patch form CA, performance should improve.

The game itself is fun, my only main complain is the AI hasn't improved from Shogun, and some fo the systems are inscrutable at the moment. Why doesn't my food reserves add up based on what the detail screen says?  How does crcifying x member of y household affect me? What the heck are champions good for?

I'm sure these thigns will become apparent as I continue to pla, but they could have done a better job of presenting you with mroe information. It's like Draogn Age, where they thought that by hiding things like +1 to this -1 to that woudl make the game more "approchable", but it only made it frustrating.

Again, I'm having a blast with it. Just hope patches fix some of these nigglign issues.

I'm playing on hard as Rome, and already have had a few memorabl battles. Amphibious assaults on port cities are super fun!

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#7 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

It seems like a lot of the changes and improvements have gone into the battles rather than the campaign map. If you are the kind of person who likes to autoresolve everything it might be a dissapointment but I'm personally loving the combined land/sea battles playing as Carthage and also the battles that take place in towns without walls. 

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

Tick on "Use full video memory" and set your settigns to medium/high. It should be stable and playable. Once we get new drivers from AMD/Nvidia, and a patch form CA, performance should improve.

The game itself is fun, my only main complain is the AI hasn't improved from Shogun, and some fo the systems are inscrutable at the moment. Why doesn't my food reserves add up based on what the detail screen says?  How does crcifying x member of y household affect me? What the heck are champions good for?

I'm sure these thigns will become apparent as I continue to pla, but they could have done a better job of presenting you with mroe information. It's like Draogn Age, where they thought that by hiding things like +1 to this -1 to that woudl make the game more "approchable", but it only made it frustrating.

Again, I'm having a blast with it. Just hope patches fix some of these nigglign issues.

I'm playing on hard as Rome, and already have had a few memorabl battles. Amphibious assaults on port cities are super fun!

Kinthalis

Yeah I am playing on Hard as Athens and I agree with the AI, especially in a battle.

I just load my army with a few Ballistas (Scorpions) and lay into the enemy... My five scorpions are incredibly experienced at this point, and they just go ham on the enemy army while they just stand there.  Those five ballistas can wipe out literally half an enemy army before I ever even send my hoplites in and by that point, they have sh-t morale anyways and break right after our lines meet...

I guess that is how it was back then and the whole point of weapons like ballistas (they are made specifically for shooting at people, not structures)... But still I would expect them to ride out and try to stop me... I just shoot until I have no more shots and kill hundreds of men (one battle over a thousand because they all piled up in a tiny town square)...

Still love the game.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

In the two hours that I've been able to mess around a bit between school work, the bugs that are plaguing the game are not ruining my enjoyment of it. everything just seems to work. The framrate is annoying, and I don't like the idea of having to turn downt he graphics to med. but it's not a big deal and I'm sure that once patches come out, then it will be a much better experience. I can't wait to start playing against some buddies this weekend.

So far so good.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58998 Posts

Not as good as Shogun 2 imo. But like all Total War games, it's a great game with scope no game can touch, unless it's those low budget paradox games that are made of paper.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sweetbackhair

In the two hours that I've been able to mess around a bit between school work, the bugs that are plaguing the game are not ruining my enjoyment of it. everything just seems to work. The framrate is annoying, and I don't like the idea of having to turn downt he graphics to med. but it's not a big deal and I'm sure that once patches come out, then it will be a much better experience. I can't wait to start playing against some buddies this weekend.

So far so good.

soolkiki
You're going down!
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Loving it, unless this is your first total war game on release, this type of this always happens.

Hell every big releae on steam gets tons of flack the first week.

For me this is an improvement over both the last two TW games, Shogun 2 and Napoleon.

Only issues I have is that the turns take super long when in coop campaign for the AI and there is some bugs that could be fixed. But as the case with any TW game, you are never going to get everything right in a game this big and expansive. The TW vets know that every TW game has gotten TONS of updates, hell Shogun2 got over 30gb just from updates over the years.

Have played 11 hours and loving it, it took awhiel to learn all the new features and the new interface but overall its fantastic. There was bitching and complaining about shogun2 and empire also, but months later those same people where saying its the best TW game yet now. If you didnt expect some issues with a TW release then that is all your fault for not doign some research.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

The game seems good, but it's almost unplayable for me on anything above Medium. The campaign map is really laggy too.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 uninspiredcup

Any nvidia drivers out?

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kozzy1234

Also they ahve announced the first patch will be here on friday... this is nothign new to TW series people.. You cant get games this big and expansive perfect with out patches.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kozzy1234

Any nvidia drivers out?

uninspiredcup

The latest nvidia beta drivers work best for me so far.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 uninspiredcup

I'm hoping they patch the battlecam into Shogun 2. Probably never going to happen. I imagine it wouldn't be too much work though.

gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts

I'm hoping they patch the battlecam into Shogun 2. Probably never going to happen. I imagine it wouldn't be too much work though.

uninspiredcup
Not OT but I really hate when people think it "probably wouldn't be too much work" when they're not software developers (assuming here). You never know how much work it is to actually get a new feature in unless you're actually doing it.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Just out of curiosity, have they allowed you to sim battles and watch them play out in real time yet? My biggest issue with the TW games is that whilst I enjoy the world map politics/civilization portion of the game, I am so dire at the actual RTS elements that I'm put me off after a few hours of seeing my armies get cut down due to my utter tactical incompetance. 

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Squeets

Just out of curiosity, have they allowed you to sim battles and watch them play out in real time yet? My biggest issue with the TW games is that whilst I enjoy the world map politics/civilization portion of the game, I am so dire at the actual RTS elements that I'm put me off after a few hours of seeing my armies get cut down due to my utter tactical incompetance. 

dommeus

You can put your units under AI control in the Battlemap.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Best TW i've played, and I've played them all.  Performance asisde, it's stellar.  And as a long time huge fan of custom battles over campaign, I'm super excited they added so many customization features in custom battles....I mean, the entire campaign map is ripe for picking now instead of preplanned maps!

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dommeus

[QUOTE="dommeus"]

Squeets

All of them? Does it work? I don't suppose you have tried it before?
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Squeets

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="dommeus"]

dommeus

I have no idea, its under grouping options... It says "Group: AI Attack" and "Group: AI Defend" I believe... I would assume you can do it with an entire army.  But it takes the selected group and AI commands them attack or defend.  It says on the tooltip that the AI will remain in control until another order is issued.

I can try it out later and let you know, I have class now.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Do the castle sieges feel like sieges again or just speed bumps like in Shogun 2?
sn4k3_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sn4k3_64
Member since 2007 • 1134 Posts

Wow lots more responses than I expected, plus they are all positive which is great news! Should be receiving it by tommorow so will install it then and post back on here my thoughts. How complex it rome 2? does it require knowledge of the first game to be able to play properly? I actually have the first one but never really played it!

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wis3boi

Do the castle sieges feel like sieges again or just speed bumps like in Shogun 2?guynamedbilly

Feels like a larger scale siege style of Rome 1/Medieval II

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]Do the castle sieges feel like sieges again or just speed bumps like in Shogun 2?wis3boi

Awesome! Shogun had a good uniquely uniform flow to combat, but I didn't want that style for Rome 2. I'm gonna have to pick this up.

...after the patches that is.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dommeus

[QUOTE="dommeus"][QUOTE="Squeets"]

Squeets

I have no idea, its under grouping options... It says "Group: AI Attack" and "Group: AI Defend" I believe... I would assume you can do it with an entire army.  But it takes the selected group and AI commands them attack or defend.  It says on the tooltip that the AI will remain in control until another order is issued.

I can try it out later and let you know, I have class now.

That isn't exactly what I had in mind, but I would appreciate it if you would give it a go to see how...adequate...it is. It surprises me really. They always build these vast engines with hundreds upon hundreds of troops. Wouldn't it be nice to just include a spectator mode? I mean they already predict the odds of winning each battle before you take action, and they already have AI for the enemy, which can attack and defend in much the same way as the player.
Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sweetbackhair
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]Do the castle sieges feel like sieges again or just speed bumps like in Shogun 2?guynamedbilly

Awesome! Shogun had a good uniquely uniform flow to combat, but I didn't want that style for Rome 2. I'm gonna have to pick this up.

You won't be disappointed.
soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 soolkiki

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

So far so good.

Sweetbackhair

You're going down!

Oh no! You're the one who's going down!!! >:) Just don't play too much so that you get more experience than me! :P

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 soolkiki

Wow lots more responses than I expected, plus they are all positive which is great news! Should be receiving it by tommorow so will install it then and post back on here my thoughts. How complex it rome 2? does it require knowledge of the first game to be able to play properly? I actually have the first one but never really played it!

sn4k3_64

Definitely more complicated thant eh first, but in a good way. The tutorial does a pretty thorough job of explaining everything.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sweetbackhair

[QUOTE="Sweetbackhair"][QUOTE="soolkiki"]

So far so good.

soolkiki

You're going down!

Oh no! You're the one who's going down!!! >:) Just don't play too much so that you get more experience than me! :P

If school wasn't in the way here!!

d

elegance89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 elegance89
Member since 2009 • 61 Posts

It does lack the polish of Shogun 2 but stating the obvious it's only been out a couple of days there are bound to be some bugs. All in all I have put in about 20 hours so far in a co-op campaign and I'm absolutely loving it. 

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Graphics and performance are awful, whats with the lack of AA options?

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

It seems like a lot of the changes and improvements have gone into the battles rather than the campaign map. If you are the kind of person who likes to autoresolve everything it might be a dissapointment but I'm personally loving the combined land/sea battles playing as Carthage and also the battles that take place in towns without walls. 

with_teeth26

Hrm, I'm not one to judge but this genuinely intrigued me -- there are people that play Total War games for the non-combat part :| ? If I wanted a grand-strategy game with less emphasis on combat, I'd stick to one of Paradox Interactive's titles.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts
runs like garbage and has a miriad of other technical issues....and doesnt look as nice as the videos seemed to make it look. still a fun TW game. i think once the framerate issues, crashes, freezes, stuttering... and all that get worked out, it will be a good game.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#37 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]

iHarlequin

Hrm, I'm not one to judge but this genuinely intrigued me -- there are people that play Total War games for the non-combat part :| ? If I wanted a grand-strategy game with less emphasis on combat, I'd stick to one of Paradox Interactive's titles.

I know one guy who plays Total War without playing the battles. I'm sure there are others, hard to imagine though. 

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kozzy1234

sn4k3_64

I have noticed over the years since the early TW games that some people have short memory... when a TW game comes out there is tons of complaints (Shogun2 and Empire had complaints for months and the same people that said THIS IS THE WORST TOTAL WAR EVER! Ended up saying it is now there favorite in teh series months later when patches came.

This series has so much depth and so many things going on you cannot get every single thing right. Just look at how many GB's worth of updates both Empire and Shogun2 got. IMO the game is great now and will be even better with some patches, as the case has bene with every TW game ever released.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

[QUOTE="sn4k3_64"]

kozzy1234

I have noticed over the years since the early TW games that some people have short memory... when a TW game comes out there is tons of complaints (Shogun2 and Empire had complaints for months and the same people that said THIS IS THE WORST TOTAL WAR EVER! Ended up saying it is now there favorite in teh series months later when patches came.

This series has so much depth and so many things going on you cannot get every single thing right. Just look at how many GB's worth of updates both Empire and Shogun2 got. IMO the game is great now and will be even better with some patches, as the case has bene with every TW game ever released.

not an excuse for releasing a game that runs like complete garbage.... the game does not look significantly better than Shogun 2.... and myself, and others could run that completely maxed out with no issues. this game, however, has -so many- technical issues, that it really should have stayed in development for a few more months
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 uninspiredcup

Made it too aracady imo. Shogun 2 was fantastical with hero units and what not and even that wasn't this level arcade. The UI is also highly suspect, makes me think they have consoles mind.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wis3boi

Made it too aracady imo. Shogun 2 was fantastical with hero units and what not and even that wasn't this level arcade. The UI is also highly suspect, makes me think they have consoles mind.

uninspiredcup
What a joke
anab0lic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 anab0lic
Member since 2011 • 374 Posts

I havent played it, but from what I have read and seen via people streaming it, the biggest problems it has right now are:-

- Low framrates, even for people with high end pcs

-Bad/Stupid AI

-Poor UI

-Long waits for enemys to finish their turns on the campaign map

Will likely all get fixed with the comming patches, they really should have had an open beta for a couple of months to eliminate many of these launch problems though...

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I'm really dissapointed with this launch, they need more time and polish, they need Paradox's new strategy, CK2 and EU4 were much more polished at launch than Victoria 2 and HOI3 mess.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#45 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

uninspiredcup

I haven't played too much but it doesn't seem arcadey to me. I liked the look of my Sparta hopilites blocking arrows and the look of their phalanx. I also like the option of having your men run, and then there is an option to have them run even faster which I think is great.

I think people are too quick to judge this game, particularlry people with negative reviews. I mean have they tried all the factions, maybe a certain faction would appeal to them more. Maybe battles get harder after 50 Hrs, who knows. I expect my hopilites to have no problem taking on a mob.

I havent played it, but from what I have read and seen via people streaming it, the biggest problems it has right now are:-

- Low framrates, even for people with high end pcs

-Bad/Stupid AI

-Poor UI

-Long waits for enemys to finish their turns on the campaign map

Will likely all get fixed with the comming patches, they really should have had an open beta for a couple of months to eliminate many of these launch problems though...

anab0lic

Only 4 Hrs. in and I have had no slowdown yet. I remember hearing somewhere framerates aren't that important in strategy games they are more important in First Person Shooters, that person could be wrong. According to my benchmark I get 20 FPS on Extreme graphics; I haven't noticed any poor performance though. I really like the UI it has a bunch of options; it is vastly improved from Rome 1. The AI has managed to trick me once and held its own with the units it had in a couple of battles.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

Framerate issue is annoying but they can fix that. Overall they made a lot of drastic changes to the core of the formula. I have yet to really dig into the campaign to see how they all work together.

It could be the best Total War game ever made if it wasn't so buggy and rushed. Once they patch the game it will be amazing.

Wasdie
Mate i have had NO p[roblems at ALL! Frame Rate is perfect and all maxed out on high settings! Hmm interesting!
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 wis3boi

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

jwsoul

Mate i have had NO p[roblems at ALL! Frame Rate is perfect and all maxed out on high settings! Hmm interesting!

you are very, very alone or lying

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
I haven't gotten the game yet because I presumed it will be buggy and it seems I'm right, Once they fix most bugs and right when it goes on its first sale I'll immediately get it.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

wis3boi

What a joke

Agreed, when things get changed and people have to relearn things they make huge deal about nothing. Instead of learning the new aspects they just complain and say it sucks

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I've been satisfied with my performance on my GTX 670 (maxed @ 1200p, 'use Unlimited Memory' ticked). The graphics are gorgeous and it's by far the best looking TW game yet. I don't feel like I've spent enough time to give a good analysis on the good or the bad of the gameplay, but there are some things that stand out to me.

- It takes too long to wait for the enemy turns in the multiplayer campaign

- Compared to Shogun 2's UI, Rome 2's UI feels a little stripped down and cryptic

- Battlecam sucks and is the last button I want to hit if I want to get a good view of the action

I was really hoping they put enough effort into the animations and 'combat' AI that the microbattles between units would look like actual melee fights as opposed to one group of troops simply swarming into the other. It's really just a cluster**** of units running through eachother and randomly swinging around until one of the groups retreat.  CA really gave me the impression they wanted Rome 2's battles to be more cinematic than the last games, with a Battlecam that really puts you into the battle and lets you see the graphics. Instead it's just more of the same 'ol battles.