Rome 2, your thoughts?

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#51 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

[QUOTE="jwsoul"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Framerate issue is annoying but they can fix that. Overall they made a lot of drastic changes to the core of the formula. I have yet to really dig into the campaign to see how they all work together.

It could be the best Total War game ever made if it wasn't so buggy and rushed. Once they patch the game it will be amazing.

wis3boi

Mate i have had NO p[roblems at ALL! Frame Rate is perfect and all maxed out on high settings! Hmm interesting!

you are very, very alone or lying

Lying go swivel no i am not lying. I just encountered a Bug mind where my Men did not land correctly on the shore and became trapped which to say the least ruined the battle.
lightingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#52 lightingbird
Member since 2004 • 143 Posts

I usually don't like Total War games but I like this one.  Not sure how long it will hold my attention though.  Also, I have it on max settings and have utterly no problems at all. 

dsgsdfgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 dsgsdfgf
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

The game is awful compared to other the TW games. Even if they manage to fix the technical issues, bugs, graphics and performance the game contains so many stupid design choices that it still wouldn't be near the other games in the series imo.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#54 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1181 Posts

- Battlecam sucks and is the last button I want to hit if I want to get a good view of the action

KHAndAnime

I agree the battlecam doesn't give you an excellent view of what is happening and could be improved. I read somewhere general's were supposed to have their battles listed I haven't found it. All I have found is a list with every factions battle outcomes. I would have prefered it per general--but it might be there.

I must put more hours into this game. Too busy defending the game.lol.

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

My only "problem" with the game right now is the long wait between turns.

I'm one of the gang with FPS issues but I wouldnt say I have a "high end" PC either. Radeon 6900 HD 2 gigs - 8 gigs ddr5 ram and a I5 @ 3.3ghz. Still, the FPS at Ultra did seem quite low for my specs but who knows. I'm doing good on a mix of High and Very High average about 40-55.

Love the game though ive been waiting for this one for a while now.

About the UI: It's new, still getting used to it but I don't think it's bad. Just new.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Made it too aracady imo. Shogun 2 was fantastical with hero units and what not and even that wasn't this level arcade. The UI is also highly suspect, makes me think they have consoles mind.

uninspiredcup

It's more arcade than 30 swordsman defeating 1.8k peasants? :lol: I jest, I actually love Shogun 2 and probably will like Rome 2 once I get it. It does seem bug-ridden and the AI seems worse than what I see in Shogun 2, but that's likely because Shogun 2 is patched and I have AI mods that really enhance the game.

lightingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 lightingbird

The game is awful compared to other the TW games. Even if they manage to fix the technical issues, bugs, graphics and performance the game contains so many stupid design choices that it still wouldn't be near the other games in the series imo.

dsgsdfgf

Ok I have zero problems with the game, playing it on max setttings.  Can you list the technical issues, bugs, graphic problems, and performance issues?  Also at what point should a person consider that maybe the problem is on their end? 

Just saying.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

lightingbird, what CPU do you have?

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#59 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

Game seems ok for me so far.  I ran into a few bugs here and there but, no crashes or anything earth shattering.  Just bad textures that have since gone away after I set the full memory option.

As for what I think of it I'm not sure yet as I've only played it for a few hours.  I beat the prolog and just started the campaign playing as Carthage.  It's nice that Hannibal is your general right at the get go.  Too bad he only last like 20 or so turns before he dies of old age.  They really need to have the generals last longer.  

It's definitely not a bad game.  I don't get the people screaming about how it's the end of the world.

The one thing I have found so far messing with the new Champion character is that they are way too overpowered with the training troops option.  Basically, he gives XP to one of your armies every turn.  Quickly making the army way overpowered.

I also feel they need to slow down the action a bit.  This may be because I only have early units.  Perhaps the more armored units will last longer but, I have gotten that far along yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

runs like garbage and has a miriad of other technical issues....and doesnt look as nice as the videos seemed to make it look. still a fun TW game. i think once the framerate issues, crashes, freezes, stuttering... and all that get worked out, it will be a good game.Geminon

Runs like garbage for people who don't know the limitations of their PCs. There are a MYRIAD of fixes on the Steam forums for everyone who cares to improve their experience without waiting on patches.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

It's more arcade than 30 swordsman defeating 1.8k peasants? :lol: I jest, I actually love Shogun 2 and probably will like Rome 2 once I get it. It does seem bug-ridden and the AI seems worse than what I see in Shogun 2, but that's likely because Shogun 2 is patched and I have AI mods that really enhance the game.

iHarlequin

Four praetorian guard units + a general can defeat 2k troops. It's not too difficult.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Framerate issue is annoying but they can fix that. Overall they made a lot of drastic changes to the core of the formula. I have yet to really dig into the campaign to see how they all work together.

It could be the best Total War game ever made if it wasn't so buggy and rushed. Once they patch the game it will be amazing.

jwsoul
Mate i have had NO p[roblems at ALL! Frame Rate is perfect and all maxed out on high settings! Hmm interesting!

buuuuuuuullshit. it is a universal issue. everyone is suffering from it.
Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Geminon

[QUOTE="Geminon"]runs like garbage and has a miriad of other technical issues....and doesnt look as nice as the videos seemed to make it look. still a fun TW game. i think once the framerate issues, crashes, freezes, stuttering... and all that get worked out, it will be a good game.airshocker

Runs like garbage for people who don't know the limitations of their PCs. There are a MYRIAD of fixes on the Steam forums for everyone who cares to improve their experience without waiting on patches.

oh gawd... here we go. "yer PC isnt gud enuff" the game is massively ****ed up. get it through your head. it has performance issues and technical flaws out the wazoo. it has nothing to do with hardware.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="jwsoul"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Geminon

I'd be more likely to believe its a vocal minority. The performance is the same as every Total War game at launch. I own three different PCs and I get satisfactory FPS given their hardware on all 3. If it's so universal - how come it runs fine on 3 of my computers? Two of them are even 5 years old. Could also be that people are expecting more from their computers than what's reasonable given their settings, the amount of detail portrayed in this game, and its scale. Wouldn't be surprised if people with not top-of-the-line stuff are trying to run the game at high settings.

I mean, graphically - this game's graphics are amazing. It's a huge step up from Shogun 2.

lightingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 lightingbird

[QUOTE="Geminon"][QUOTE="jwsoul"] Mate i have had NO p[roblems at ALL! Frame Rate is perfect and all maxed out on high settings! Hmm interesting! KHAndAnime

I'd be more likely to believe its a vocal minority. The performance is the same as every Total War game at launch. I own three different PCs and I get satisfactory FPS given their hardware on all 3. If it's so universal - how come it runs fine on 3 of my computers? Two of them are even 5 years old. Could also be that people are expecting more from their computers than what's reasonable given their settings, the amount of detail portrayed in this game, and its scale. Wouldn't be surprised if people with not top-of-the-line stuff are trying to run the game at high settings.

I mean, graphically - this game's graphics are amazing. It's a huge step up from Shogun 2.

/Cosign

If it was universal then everyone would have the same problem just like everyone sees the same intro, hears the same intro music and hears the same vocals.  Either update your pc, check it for malware/running programs, or do some maintence on it.  Out of habit, everytime I get a new game, I put it on max settings so I'll know when its finally time to replace my gaming laptop.  It hasn't happened yet.  But when it does, I'm not gonna be going around saying its a performance problem with the game.  Talk about denial. 

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Geminon

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

[QUOTE="Geminon"] buuuuuuuullshit. it is a universal issue. everyone is suffering from it.lightingbird

/Cosign

If it was universal then everyone would have the same problem just like everyone sees the same intro, hears the same intro music and hears the same vocals.  Either update your pc, check it for malware/running programs, or do some maintence on it.  Out of habit, everytime I get a new game, I put it on max settings so I'll know when its finally time to replace my gaming laptop.  It hasn't happened yet.  But when it does, I'm not gonna be going around saying its a performance problem with the game.  Talk about denial. 

not cosigned... the game does not look signifcantly better than shogun 2.... it just doesnt. i dont even know how people can be saying that.
Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Geminon
[QUOTE="lightingbird"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] I'd be more likely to believe its a vocal minority. The performance is the same as every Total War game at launch. I own three different PCs and I get satisfactory FPS given their hardware on all 3. If it's so universal - how come it runs fine on 3 of my computers? Two of them are even 5 years old. Could also be that people are expecting more from their computers than what's reasonable given their settings, the amount of detail portrayed in this game, and its scale. Wouldn't be surprised if people with not top-of-the-line stuff are trying to run the game at high settings.

Geminon

/Cosign

not cosigned... the game does not look signifcantly better than shogun 2.... it just doesnt. i dont even know how people can be saying that.

This:  looks every bit as good as this:
2uneek4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 2uneek4u
Member since 2006 • 2548 Posts

I can run the game on high/ultra a smooth 60fps in battle mode. But while in campaign map mode, its laggy as hell! down to 9-20 fps!

Apart from the laggy campaign map mode, I have no other complaint. The game is good. I haven't spotted any bugs yet. I've already completed 50+ turns in my campaign.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Geminon

I can run the game on high/ultra a smooth 60fps in battle mode. But while in campaign map mode, its laggy as hell! down to 9-20 fps!

Apart from the laggy campaign map mode, I have no other complaint. The game is good. I haven't spotted any bugs yet. I've already completed 50+ turns in my campaign.

2uneek4u
that is the same issue pretty much everyone is having. the biggest problem is, on campaign map, most people will have smooth FPS until they click on something, like an army. the second you click on something, your FPS will drop down into the teens.
mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

[QUOTE="Geminon"][QUOTE="jwsoul"] Mate i have had NO p[roblems at ALL! Frame Rate is perfect and all maxed out on high settings! Hmm interesting! KHAndAnime

Most folks thought their pcs can maxed out the usual multiplat games and thus expect to max Rome 2 just as easily while not realising that Rome 2 far exceed almost all ither games in terms of scope and scale. Besides that, Total War games always have bugs and issues at launch, funny how seasoned gamers still buy at launch and expect perfection. Its not an ideal situation but if, what, 5 or 6 TW games had not thought them to be wiser and informed consumer, they only have themselves to blame. This game will be on a nother level once a few patches out and the modders get cracking on some serious game balancing/ai enhancing mods.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="Geminon"][QUOTE="lightingbird"]

/Cosign

Geminon

This: looks every bit as good as this:

Naw dog.

geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#72 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

Besides from the numerous performance issues and AI bugs, the core game has been changed quite a lot. IMO the game has been simplified.

The traits now work like a pokemon pool
Your army has an inflatble fleet in their backpacks; no need to build a navy anymore
No more seasons
Turns per year
There is no more city management, it's just one slider to rule them all
The family tree has been cut down
No more diplomats; doesn't really matter 'cause diplomacy doesn't work anyway
The UI is terrible to say the least; it fits a SCIFI game... not suitable for Rome

CA calls it streamlined, I call it a mess. Rome II has become an arcade game to cater a wider public. I wouldn´t be surprised at all if Rome II turns up on the consoles. The game has written port all over it.

Rome Total Warning: Stay away from it if you're a TW fan

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 KHAndAnime

Besides from the numerous performance issues and AI bugs, the core game has been changed quite a lot. IMO the game has been simplified.

Your army has an inflatble fleet in their backpacks; no need to build a navy anymore
No more seasons
Turns per year
The UI is terrible to say the least; it fits a SCIFI game... not suitable for Rome

CA calls it streamlined, I call it a mess. Rome II has become an arcade game to cater a wider public. I wouldn´t be surprised at all if Rome II turns up on the consoles. The game has written port all over it.

geitenvla
Ultimately it's the same game as it has always been. Some things get removed, some things get added, but the essence of the game is the same. The Total War series has never had particularly deep economics. City management now boils down to strategic building management (maintaining food amount, order, fixing up slums). They just simply chose to put more emphasis on the generals, armies, and battles this time around.
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#74 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

[QUOTE="geitenvla"]

No more seasons
Turns per year

KHAndAnime

Ultimately it's the same game as it has always been. Some things get removed, some things get added, but the essence of the game is the same. The Total War series has never had particularly deep economics. City management now boils down to strategic building management (maintaining food amount, order, fixing up slums). They just simply chose to put more emphasis on the generals, armies, and battles this time around.

Well actually the emphasis on Generals means simpler meachanics. There is no more family tree and now you just buy a general from a pool. The number of armies you can have now are in relation to the size of your faction. You can't split an army, you can't have troops without a general; for sure this limits your strategic options.

Everything has been dumbed down in this game. Strategy gamers want windows with info, they want control and more complexity than they can digest. Rome II is simple and obvious; you can learn the basics of the game within an hour. It's a shame.

dsgsdfgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 dsgsdfgf
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

No more seasons
Turns per year

geitenvla

You forgot the worst things.

The control points you have to defend. It removes all tactics, use of the terrain to your advantage etc. and is a simply idiotic design decision imo.

The battles themselves aren't much better either. They take like 2 minutes and have no semblance of order at all. Just men running at each other at insane speeds and then fight for a few seconds before one side runs away. There are little to no tactics involved at all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

No more seasons
Turns per year

geitenvla

Please tell me what transports are going to do against biremes and triremes. I've spanked multiple AI navies with warships at 2 to 1 odds. Navies are worthwhile, but if you don't understand the game you're obviously going to think transports are warships.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Geminon

[QUOTE="geitenvla"]

No more seasons
Turns per year

airshocker

Please tell me what transports are going to do against biremes and triremes. I've spanked multiple AI navies with warships at 2 to 1 odds. Navies are worthwhile, but if you don't understand the game you're obviously going to think transports are warships.

look out guys we have a bad ass over here....
Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Geminon

[QUOTE="Geminon"]oh gawd... here we go. "yer PC isnt gud enuff" the game is massively ****ed up. get it through your head. it has performance issues and technical flaws out the wazoo. it has nothing to do with hardware.airshocker

It has a lot to do with hardware. Are you stupid? Obviously bugs will play SOME part, but with decent hardware the game runs fine after using some of these fixes. If you weren't such a whining bitch you might actually find them.

enjoy the mod report.... i dont have the time or energy for your petty dick wagging contest.
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

anybody think that the skirmishers is OP? My armies are getting hammered by and routed easily by these units.

RasAlgethi28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 RasAlgethi28
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

Once they fix the bugs it will be the best Total War yet. I have faith in CA. CA pls ;_;

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Some people here must have magical PCs. Me and my friends bought the game and none of us find it playable above Medium settings, at which point it looks significantly worse than Shogun 2.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#83 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59237 Posts

Greart post explaning with Shogun 2's interface is miles better.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?618763-Rome-2-Interface-is-uninformative-and-a-downgrade-on-the-near-perfection-of-Shogun-2

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Hopefully they get it up quick. I thought CA had moved past the disastrous releases after Empire. I literally couldn't play Empire for around 9-10 months after release.
Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

Some things require CA's attention ASAP, like AI navies landng troops in battles then letting them have the day off for a beach party, or the constant crashes on some siege maps (Pella & Athens).

But my number one pet peeve? WHY DO WE RENDER AN ENTIRE SECOND SET OF UNITS WHEN I HIT SPACEBAR

I just want little triangles or circles to mark where they are. I don't want my game to slow significantly every time I check my formations. It's a terrible design decision and it looks like a total disaster on screen.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

The videos ive seen on rome 2 blew me away. This is amazing!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

I'm trying to play a co-op campaign but the AI takes 5 minutes to take their turn. It gets boring very quickly.

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#88 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

Runs pretty well on ultra/very high settings for me, definately too many bugs and im still in the prologue... combat seems good tho, can't judge the rest yet because of not enough playtime

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 uninspiredcup  Online

Going back to Shogun 2. Maybe after 6 months of patches and some expansions this will get better, at the moment, i'm done with it. Too much bother. Get none of this shit and a better game with Shogun 2.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#91 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Going back to Shogun 2. Maybe after 6 months of patches and some expansions this will get better, at the moment, i'm done with it. Too much bother. Get none of this shit and a better game with Shogun 2.uninspiredcup

a game that had just as many if not more bugs when it released....United States of Amnesia

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 uninspiredcup  Online

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

Going back to Shogun 2. Maybe after 6 months of patches and some expansions this will get better, at the moment, i'm done with it. Too much bother. Get none of this shit and a better game with Shogun 2.wis3boi

a game that had just as many if not more bugs when it released....United States of Amnesia

Please go back and reread and think over this post.  Just go back, read, think, then re-do the post.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

Going back to Shogun 2. Maybe after 6 months of patches and some expansions this will get better, at the moment, i'm done with it. Too much bother. Get none of this shit and a better game with Shogun 2.uninspiredcup

Please go back and reread and think over this post.  Just go back, read, think, then re-do the post.

No, please rethink your entire posting history on this forum
gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts
I had absolutely **** slow performance with TW:R2, then I realised lowering the settings might help (HD5850 just won't cut it on 1080p)...and voila! Still not perfect but it works fairly nice
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 wis3boi
I had absolutely **** slow performance with TW:R2, then I realised lowering the settings might help (HD5850 just won't cut it on 1080p)...and voila! Still not perfect but it works fairly nicegigatrainer
way too many people are trying to run max settings when they dont have the system for it. They'd like to think that they do, but they dont
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="gigatrainer"]I had absolutely **** slow performance with TW:R2, then I realised lowering the settings might help (HD5850 just won't cut it on 1080p)...and voila! Still not perfect but it works fairly nicewis3boi
way too many people are trying to run max settings when they dont have the system for it. They'd like to think that they do, but they dont

Another great post, agreed 100%. How hard is it to go to the benchmark and try different settings,etc.. until you get what fits your pc well.

gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts
[QUOTE="gigatrainer"]I had absolutely **** slow performance with TW:R2, then I realised lowering the settings might help (HD5850 just won't cut it on 1080p)...and voila! Still not perfect but it works fairly nicewis3boi

Probably, setting Textures to High from Ultra helped a lot and so did setting secondary stuff to Very High/High. Looks good and doesn't seem to be lagging.
Gr0wl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#98 Gr0wl
Member since 2009 • 311 Posts

I had 1 spy left near my city , but then got camped by a horde of other champions and spies , and when I recruited more champions and spies they either got killed or bribed . That's ridiculous , at least leave my recruit in the city for 1 turn , then let me use them , not have the AI take advantage of this ... Annoying

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 KHAndAnime

Some people here must have magical PCs. Me and my friends bought the game and none of us find it playable above Medium settings, at which point it looks significantly worse than Shogun 2.

Postmortem123
Do you have a million background processes running or something? If you can't run this game above medium, then there's something seriously wrong with your PC dude. I'd consider driver sweeping or something. Or are you trying to play the game with Eyefinity on 3 1600p monitors?
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17857 Posts
how are the loading times? have they improved since shogun 2 or has it gotten worse? i had to stop with shogun 2 eventually as 90 - 120 seconds (not an exaggeration, i actually timed it a few times) to load a battle is just to long. for me i dont think it was my HDD either as it wasnt taking data from the HDD all the time. most of the time it was like the game was idle during loading. maybe the relatively weak single threaded performance of my P2X4 was to blame. so any better now?