Official Windows 7 thread. Post all your Windows 7-related topics here.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

Windows 7

Release date 22 october 2009

Purchase Windows 7 for as little as 30$

As a student with a .edu email account

Reviews : What's new, what's good, what's bad?

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-systems/microsoft-windows-7-622923/review?artc_pg=1

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/12/windows-7-review/

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/review.asp

Benchmarks : My Windows is faster than yours!

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/windows_7_review

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_7_gaming/

http://www.paulspoerry.com/2009/08/13/windows-7-benchmarks-xp-vs-vista-vs-7/

http://www.driverheaven.net/articles.php?articleid=137&pageid=2

Compare Editions: Which version do I buy?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare-editions/default.aspx

Upgrade Paths: Do I need a clean install?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/08/8-06-09win7simple.jpg

Directx 11 games: More eye candy at what price?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support

Where is My Windows Mail, Messenger and Movie Maker in Windows 7?

http://download.live.com/

Download extra Windows Themes

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/personalize

Q&A

Q: What's the difference between The Full version and the Upgrade Version? Can I use the Upgrade version on my PC?

A: The Full version requires no version of Windows previously installed on your PC. The Upgrade version can only be used if you have a legitimate version of Windows 2K, XP or Vista already installed, either the retail or OEM version (OEM means the WIndows version that came installed with your new PC)

Q: Do I need to format my disk to install Windows 7?

A: Only computers with Vista installed will have to the option to do an in-place upgrade to Windows 7, and only when going from the same 32-bit/64-bit Vista version to its equivalent Windows 7 Version. Other users will have to perform a clean install. By default the clean install will erase eveything on the partition where you choose to install Windows. Even if you have programs installed on a different partition, you will have to reinstall most of them so they work under the new operating system.

Q : Can I upgrade my Windows 7 Beta or RC installation with the upgrade version without a clean install?

A: Officially, no. You need a clean install.There is little trick you can apply that might just do it anyway. In that case you don't even need a version of XP or Vista installed to use the upgrade disk.

belboz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 belboz
Member since 2003 • 1548 Posts

List of DirectX 11 games

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

So according to the sites Windows 7 Ultimate is the only one that can switch between languages. Is this really true? Like, if I wanted to switch my locale from America to Japan, as well as switch between English mode and Japanese/MIME mode, I need to fork out for Ultimate? I'm just confused because I have Vista Home Premium and I can already do that stuff (and I could do it with XP Home as well), so right now Win 7 looks like a crippling downgrade in that regard unless that information is wrong.

Recontrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Recontrooper
Member since 2009 • 1012 Posts
Can wait, I'm getting Windows 7 premium!
cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
For those of you with a valid .edu address, you can purchase Home Premium for $30!!!!!!!!! Check out the link!
Full_Of_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Full_Of_Stars
Member since 2009 • 113 Posts
Got it on pre order, can't wait to get it
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gog

So according to the sites Windows 7 Ultimate is the only one that can switch between languages. Is this really true? Like, if I wanted to switch my locale from America to Japan, as well as switch between English mode and Japanese/MIME mode, I need to fork out for Ultimate? I'm just confused because I have Vista Home Premium and I can already do that stuff (and I could do it with XP Home as well), so right now Win 7 looks like a crippling downgrade in that regard unless that information is wrong.

gameguy6700

You can change your system locale in all versions but only the Enterprise and Ultimate versions allow you to install language packs to change the text of the menus, taskbar etc of the OS into another language.

Recontrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Recontrooper
Member since 2009 • 1012 Posts
For those of you with a valid .edu address, you can purchase Home Premium for $30!!!!!!!!! Check out the link!cell_dweller
Ya I wanted to do this on my new build, but apparently you have can only get the upgrade not the oem or full version. So I'm stuck buying the oem for $100.
vgm007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 vgm007
Member since 2005 • 20931 Posts
[QUOTE="cell_dweller"]For those of you with a valid .edu address, you can purchase Home Premium for $30!!!!!!!!! Check out the link!

Awesome stuff indeed. I'll have to check it out when I get home. :D (I already have Vista HP on my desktop, so this'll work like a charm... I hope.)
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

Gog

You can change your system locale in all versions but only the Enterprise and Ultimate versions allow you to install language packs to change the text of the menus, taskbar etc of the OS into another language.

ah, I see. That's good to know.

KR6716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KR6716
Member since 2007 • 926 Posts
I am getting it for free cause I bought my laptop for school at the end of July. Is it easy to install?
Avatar image for nofriekinlemons
nofriekinlemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nofriekinlemons
Member since 2008 • 1392 Posts

i got this it on the preorder it was amazing my college was doing a special where you can pre order the already discounted Windows 7 at a discounted price it was awsome, can i get a better deal:D

oh ya it was 25 dallors:P

Devon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Devon32
Member since 2007 • 1620 Posts

Are the RC(test) builds expiring any time soon? I havent read anything about it yet.

Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gog

Remember expiration dates: Please plan ahead for when the RC expires. You'll get two weeks' notice, and then beginning on March 1, 2010, your PC will start shutting down every two hours. The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. To avoid interruption, you'll need to rebuild your test PC to replace the OS with a valid version of Windows, and reinstall all your programs and data before the software expires.

Devon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Devon32

Thanks. Odd that its all way in June I would expect it would expire upon Windows 7 official release or atleast soon. Guess I can stick to RC awhile longer since it runes fine till I can afford Windows 7.

Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Ghost_loy
Member since 2005 • 2447 Posts
I have a question, I recently found a good deal that will save me alot of money in purchasing Windows 7, however I do not know if I should get 32bit and upgrade my Vista or 64 bit and install over my vista. What should I do? And more importantly if I install over my Vista do I have to format my ENTIRE c:\ drive?
Devon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Devon32
From what I understand you cannot upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit but you can upgrade 32 vista to 32 bit win7 and same for 64 bit.
Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts
From what I understand you cannot upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit but you can upgrade 32 vista to 32 bit win7 and same for 64 bit.Devon32
That's true. I tried upgrading it on my brother's PC (his has Vista 32-bit), and it wouldn't go. I tried upgrading it on my friend's laptop (his had Vista 64-bit) and the install worked fine.
nofriekinlemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nofriekinlemons

so you cant upgrade 32 bit to 64 bit , well what if you have a 32 bit xp will you atleast be able to upgrade to windows 7 32 bit.

and can you upgrade from xp 64 bit to windows 7 64 bit

Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gog

You need a clean install when upgrading from any windows XP version to Windows 7. You can use the Full or Upgrade version of Win 7 for this.

The in-place upgrade is only supported from Vista to Windows 7 and only when going from 32-bit to 32-bit or 64-bit to 64-bit.

Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ghost_loy
I already know about the 32bit to 32bit only thing. I was going to do a fresh install if I went with Win7 64bit. Anyway, my question holds, should I get 32bit and Upgrade, or 64bit and do fresh install?
CStheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CStheGreat
Member since 2008 • 705 Posts

Just a heads up guys....

I work at Best Buy so I know the lowdown with Windows 7. Regarding the computers, most Best Buy stores should have the Windows 7 systems out on the floor by tomorrow (10/18 ). Presale will be online only and will run from Sunday-Wednesday (10/18 - 10-21) with the official launch on Thursday, 10/22. I'm pretty sure other stores (Fry's, MicroCenter, Amazon, SonyStyle, Microsoft, etc.) will have them for pre-sale as well. No major retail chain will sell the units before launch as there are HEAVY fines and penalties for doing so. Windows 7 looks very promising, I really think a lot of people are going to enjoy it.

Ken34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ken34
Member since 2003 • 247 Posts

Just a heads up guys....

I work at Best Buy so I know the lowdown with Windows 7. Regarding the computers, most Best Buy stores should have the Windows 7 systems out on the floor by tomorrow (10/18 ). Presale will be online only and will run from Sunday-Wednesday (10/18 - 10-21) with the official launch on Thursday, 10/22. I'm pretty sure other stores (Fry's, MicroCenter, Amazon, SonyStyle, Microsoft, etc.) will have them for pre-sale as well. No major retail chain will sell the units before launch as there are HEAVY fines and penalties for doing so. Windows 7 looks very promising, I really think a lot of people are going to enjoy it.

CStheGreat

yea, at walmart we already got a bunch of desktops and laptops in with windows 7, cant sell em yet cause of huge fines. but so far from my experience of Windows 7 it is amazing, very well worth the upgrade from XP.

Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gog

I already know about the 32bit to 32bit only thing. I was going to do a fresh install if I went with Win7 64bit. Anyway, my question holds, should I get 32bit and Upgrade, or 64bit and do fresh install?Ghost_loy

At this point, you really want to go to 64-bits. 4 GB is the norm for new PC's now and if you want to keep the OS for the next 3-5 years, you willeventually need 64-bits just to address the extra memory.

You can do a clean install on an existing windows partition without formatting, but doing so will rename the original Windows and Program files folders, creating a lot of wasted pace.

Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ghost_loy

[QUOTE="Ghost_loy"]I already know about the 32bit to 32bit only thing. I was going to do a fresh install if I went with Win7 64bit. Anyway, my question holds, should I get 32bit and Upgrade, or 64bit and do fresh install?Gog

At this point, you really want to go to 64-bits. 4 GB is the norm for new PC's now and if you want to keep the OS for the next 3-5 years, you willeventually need 64-bits just to address the extra memory.

You can do a clean install on an existing windows partition without formatting, but doing so will rename the original Windows and Program files folders, creating a lot of wasted pace.

Thanks for the answer. I have already purchased Win 7 64bit Home Premium, I figured I should go with 64bit. Just to let everyone know you can get Win 7 for 30 USD if you go to college. Here: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27074542&msg_id=316958335#316958335

cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts

Thanks for the answer. I have already purchased Win 7 64bit Home Premium, I figured I should go with 64bit. Just to let everyone know you can get Win 7 for 30 USD if you go to college. Here: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27074542&msg_id=316958335#316958335

Ghost_loy
If you look higher up in this thread, I posted a link ;)
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghost_loy
My bad cell_dweller.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts

[QUOTE="cell_dweller"]For those of you with a valid .edu address, you can purchase Home Premium for $30!!!!!!!!! Check out the http://www.win741.com/" title="http://www.win741.com/">link!Recontrooper
Ya I wanted to do this on my new build, but apparently you have can only get the upgrade not the oem or full version. So I'm stuck buying the oem for $100.

wait, what does this mean :? I just purchased the one via the student deal. From what I remember, I purchased the 64bit and I have to do a clean install since im on 32bit. So maybe its really the full version?

hashabnelah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hashabnelah
Member since 2009 • 347 Posts

Are the RC(test) builds expiring any time soon? I havent read anything about it yet.

Devon32

The Release Candidate builds will expire on June 1, 2010, but beginning on March 1, 2010, users' PCs will start shutting down every two hours.

I would not be concerned about the shut downs and the June 1 expiration because by then, I would have purchased the non-expired version. It will be released this Thursday.

I have been using the Release Candidate since May 16 and have been mostly satisfied with it with the exception that some programs I use are yet to be compatible with Windows 7.

nofriekinlemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nofriekinlemons

thanks guys this thread has taken alot off my mind i was starting to get worried

Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ghost_loy

[QUOTE="Recontrooper"][QUOTE="cell_dweller"]For those of you with a valid .edu address, you can purchase Home Premium for $30!!!!!!!!! Check out the http://www.win741.com/" title="http://www.win741.com/">link!Tjeremiah1988

wait, what does this mean :? I just purchased the one via the student deal. From what I remember, I purchased the 64bit and I have to do a clean install since im on 32bit. So maybe its really the full version?

That's what I am wondering, if this is the "Upgrade" version, yet all I have to do if I have Vista 32bit and bought Win 7 64 bit, is a "Custom Install" then whats the difference between the upgrade and the full version?
digitalman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 digitalman42
Member since 2007 • 888 Posts

Any deals/sales for Windows 7?? if your NOT A student?

Ironfist66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ironfist66
Member since 2006 • 93 Posts

anyone know what games will work on windows 7

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Just another question about windows 7 Pro. At the moment im using windows vista Home premium. Im not going to upgrade but actualy going to do a clean install of windows 7 but the Pro version. Ive brought the Window7 pro retail version can i format my PC and install a clean retail version of windows 7 on a home premium vista by formating it using the Windows 7 pro version?. Ive seen that you carnt upgrade to a pro version of windows pro unless youve gotWindowsVista Business. Can i do a clean install though. thanks. can some one anser asap please as now im getting abit worried that i carnt do a clean install on my home premuim vista to a pro version of win7.

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Tjeremiah1988

digitalman42
I believe someone here mentioned they got it for 50 from some early deal.
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gog

Just another question about windows 7 Pro. At the moment im using windows vista Home premium. Im not going to upgrade but actualy going to do a clean install of windows 7 but the Pro version. Ive brought the Window7 pro retail version can i format my PC and install a clean retail version of windows 7 on a home premium vista by formating it using the Windows 7 pro version?. Ive seen that you carnt upgrade to a pro version of windows pro unless youve gotWindowsVista Business. Can i do a clean install though. thanks. can some one anser asap please as now im getting abit worried that i carnt do a clean install on my home premuim vista to a pro version of win7.

skipper847

You can do both a clean install or an upgrade from Home Premium to Win 7 Pro. Check the Upgrade paths diagram link in the first post for details.

SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts

I'm just going to throw this out there. This "Official" windows 7 thread is not picking up steam, and you are locking so many windows 7 threads without even saying "Oh, hey post this here."

Do us a favor, when you lock a thread tell us to come here.. or delete this and let us have our discussions in user made threads.

digitalman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 digitalman42
[QUOTE="Tjeremiah1988"][QUOTE="digitalman42"]

I believe someone here mentioned they got it for 50 from some early deal.

I dont think that deal is going on any longer.
jamesfffan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jamesfffan
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

Well my Copy of the Full Version - Windows 7 Home Premium arrived today ( £48 ). I installed the 64-bit DVD, within 20 minutes. It boots just as fast as Windows 7 RC (between 18-25 seconds). It appears to have a small amount of more polish over the RC.

It is much faster than any OS I have used, way better than XP & Vista in my experience, and has more features than ever before, its like they have thought of everything, put it in, taken the crap out, and streamlined it into an awesome OS.

Do you guys remember that test? vs XP,testing Win 7's performance over it?, they kept the exact same hardware, but installed 7, and 7 gave all games a 20-30% boost, just think if you upgraded your hardware too, it leaves XP in the dust gaming wise.

Link to Gaming Test

I would argue to say it leaves XP in the dust Overall too. It's out of the box badass.

I am a very happy customer. By the way I got my Copy from Amazon.co.uk.

Has anyone else received and installed their copy? What are your impressions?

SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts

Well my Copy of the Full Version - Windows 7 Home Premium arrived today (£4. I installed the 64-bit DVD, within 20 minutes. It boots just as fast as Windows 7 RC (between 18-25 seconds). It appears to have a small amount of more polish over the RC.

It is much faster than any OS I have used, way better than XP & Vista in my experience, and has more features than ever before, its like they have thought of everything, put it in, taken the crap out, and streamlined it into an awesome OS.

Do you guys remember that test? vs XP,testing Win 7's performance over it?, they kept the exact same hardware, but installed 7, and 7 gave all games a 30-40% boost, just think if you upgraded your hardware too, it leaves XP in the dust gaming wise.

Link to Gaming Test

I would argue to say it leaves XP in the dust Overall too. It's out of the box badass.

jamesfffan
I have had the full version for about two months now. MSDN and TechNet Got it a few months early. And I like it, the task bar can be annoying, but it gets some getting used too. While I could switch it back to normal windows mode I like it. Luckly it uses Vista's drivers so everything worked out of the box.
jamesfffan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jamesfffan

That is true those who never got the RC or anything, would need to get used to that Taskbar change, but the Superbar I think improves productivity. I'm glad everyone is enjoying it as much as me, 2 months aye? no fair :( :P hehe

I just did this lil tweak, I know the minimizing/maximizing animation when opening windows is really cool feel, I unchecked it, and without that animation windows open even faster than before lol, the animation is cool but jus thought others could try.

control panel > performance and information > adjust visual settings > click custom > untick the 2nd option.

Darkon_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 Darkon_X
Member since 2004 • 388 Posts

If I upgrade to Windows 7 will I lose all my media files and programs? Please let me know, I don't want to buy it just to lose all my stuff

jamesfffan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jamesfffan

You would lose it all if you do a Custom install, I think it would be best if you dont want to lost all your data is to make a new partition, put all your media and files onto it, then do a clean install over you current OS. Once you have done this, you can just go to "My Computer", and there will be that partition you created previously with all your media and files intact.

The other option is back it all up on DVD's.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

BAH It not come today, i no that it not ment to be out till tomorrow but with this postal strike i bet i dont get it till at least next week now. :(:(

digitalman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 digitalman42

whats the diff between oem system builders and the upgrade retail?

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

whats the diff between oem system builders and the upgrade retail?

digitalman42
Upgrade is a full retail version but it only installs on machines that already have Vista installed OEM is the fullpackage though it's only meant for Original Electronics Manufacturers (HP, Compaq ect) it dosn't have any official customer support.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Tjeremiah1988

If I upgrade to Windows 7 will I lose all my media files and programs? Please let me know, I don't want to buy it just to lose all my stuff

Darkon_X

if your current OS is XP or you have Vista and want to go 64bit even though your vista is 32bit. Technically, you only lose things you dont back up.

Im on the same boat :?. Im thinking of creating a separate partition, install Win7 there while still having Vista intact, then while in Win7, ill just import my Vista files in 7. Then when done, ill expand the HDD, thus getting rid of Vista. Could this work, anyone knows?

Full_Of_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Full_Of_Stars
Member since 2009 • 113 Posts

I have Win7 RC on one partition and all my programs and games etc on another partition. I'll be doing a clean install when my Win7 dvd gets delivered in the next few days. If I export HKCU/Software and HKLM/Software registry keys and import them into the newly installed OS will it register that all my programs are installed or will I still have to manually reinstall everything?

jamesfffan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jamesfffan

Here is what I had:

Vista on a new WD hdd, and I have 1 storage drive which had my Win 7 RC install on 1 partition, with the rest of the storage space available in the "separate data partition".

Here is what I did:

I logged into Vista. Copied all of my Data (music/videos/pictures/important files/installers etc..) to my "separate data partition" from my Vista install and from my Win 7 RC install.

Then I typed into search, msconfig, and ticked "use original boot config". I also went into EasyBCD(this may not be required), and removed the Win 7 boot Entry.

I restarted and only Vista loaded up. Once it did I formatted my Win 7 RC partition, then went into disk managment and deleted the volume, then extended my separate data partition to recover the space.

restarted the PC

Installed Win 7 64-bit remembering to format the Vista drive, then installing it onto that drive.

Once done, I was able to go into my data partition and link my media to my libraries on 7, and install everything again because I saved my program setups and everything I wanted to keep on my data partition before installing 7.

(I was dual-booting)

@Tjeremiah1988 -

Yes what you could do is create a new partition,

install windows 7 on it,

type msconfig into search, press enter, tick the box "use original boot config,", also go to the boot tab and check that you make win 7 the default OS. apply. ok. then restart,

Windows 7 should load. Then format your Vista partition after getting all the files from it you want, then yes delete the volume and extend your Win 7 partition to recover the space back.

-- Pretty sure that will work.

Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ghost_loy

Well my Copy of the Full Version - Windows 7 Home Premium arrived today ( £48 ). I installed the 64-bit DVD, within 20 minutes. It boots just as fast as Windows 7 RC (between 18-25 seconds). It appears to have a small amount of more polish over the RC.

Do you guys remember that test? vs XP,testing Win 7's performance over it?, they kept the exact same hardware, but installed 7, and 7 gave all games a 20-30% boost, just think if you upgraded your hardware too, it leaves XP in the dust gaming wise.

Link to Gaming Test

jamesfffan
My Win 7 is a digital copy, will it fit on a Normal DVD 4.7 gb ?