Official Windows 7 thread. Post all your Windows 7-related topics here.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Recontrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#201 Recontrooper
Member since 2009 • 1012 Posts
Hi so I will be installing Windows 7 oem over my pc that has Windows 7 RC. Do I just go into the RC OS and format the hard drive to delete everything thing(I have my stuff backed up) and then just boot and install the Windows 7 CD?
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
I havent bothered with the gadgets with vista because most of em were .."lame" but with windows 7, they continue to be lame. Havent really seen anything exciting to bother with. Anyone have anything interesting?
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#203 Ghost_loy
Member since 2005 • 2447 Posts
Hi so I will be installing Windows 7 oem over my pc that has Windows 7 RC. Do I just go into the RC OS and format the hard drive to delete everything thing(I have my stuff backed up) and then just boot and install the Windows 7 CD?Recontrooper
Yes. But you don't have to go into your RC and format. Just boot the computer with the Win 7 disk and when it asks you where to install click Advanced option(or something like that) and format the drive.
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 Ghost_loy
I havent bothered with the gadgets with vista because most of em were .."lame" but with windows 7, they continue to be lame. Havent really seen anything exciting to bother with. Anyone have anything interesting? Tjeremiah1988
Nothing really that groundbreaking or anything...we'll just have to wait and see.
expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts
[QUOTE="Ghost_loy"] As far as I know it is an MSDNAA policy. However I do not know if this means the Windows Update will not work, or that all updates simply will not install. Because you can d/l updates individually from MS.

:( I'd be sad if that's true.. I've been waitin for my ECE department to acknowledge MSDNAA since they're currently working on it.. if i've been waiting on something that won't last.. then Q__Q.
k1o8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 k1o8
Member since 2009 • 79 Posts

will windows 7 ultimate work on 1gb of ram and pentium 4cpu 2.8ghz processor??

vgm007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#207 vgm007
Member since 2005 • 20931 Posts

will windows 7 ultimate work on 1gb of ram and pentium 4cpu 2.8ghz processor??

k1o8
No. The processor alone isn't enough to run it.
k1o8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 k1o8
Member since 2009 • 79 Posts

i justed googled the minimun requirments for windows 7 and they said it officialy needs

• 1 GHz processor (32- or 64-bit)
  • 1 GB of RAM (32-bit); 2 GB of RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB of available disk space (32-bit); 20 GB of available disk space (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

so would it run well on 2.8ghz pentium 4cpu?

Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Ghost_loy

i justed googled the minimun requirments for windows 7 and they said it officialy needs

• 1 GHz processor (32- or 64-bit)
  • 1 GB of RAM (32-bit); 2 GB of RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB of available disk space (32-bit); 20 GB of available disk space (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

so would it run well on 2.8ghz pentium 4cpu?

k1o8

It should run fine. I would upgrade your ram though, if it requires 1 and you have 1 well.....

rastaman219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 rastaman219
Member since 2006 • 3032 Posts
Anyone else suffering from STOP 0x00000124 BSOD Error and got a solution? Its driving me crazy.
jamesfffan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 jamesfffan
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

You overclocking? check your CPU's temperatures, and voltages. It could be related to the gpu tho.

Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Ghost_loy
Taken from another forum: ______________________________________________________________________________ Alienware recently published a workaround for this problem. It worked for me: It has been determined that the blue screen of death code 0x00000124 is caused by audio devices in Windows Vista. This particular issue is industry-wide and can happen on any computer with a sound card or integrated audio and Windows Vista. We have found a workaround to this issue which should help stabilize the system without sacrifing something as important as your computer's audio devices. Please perform the following steps to resolve the issue: 1. Go to the BIOS by pressing [DEL] during POST. 2. Go to Advanced Chipset Features. 3. Go to CPU Configuration 4. Select C1E Enhanced Halt State and set it to Disabled 5. Press [F10] to save the changes and exit.
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Ghost_loy
It seems to also be here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952681
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Ghost_loy
I have ALSO found that it can be related to Overclocking, specifically RAM timings.
l0ve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#215 l0ve
Member since 2005 • 3178 Posts
Ok so I recently installed windows 7. I entered the key for it and had it registered. Now my Hard drive is having some physical problems so I need to reinstall windows 7, since I registered it and all I'm just wondering if my key for it is now no longer valid? Or can I reinstall it no problem using the same key that I already used and registered?
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 Ghost_loy

Ok so I recently installed windows 7. I entered the key for it and had it registered. Now my Hard drive is having some physical problems so I need to reinstall windows 7, since I registered it and all I'm just wondering if my key for it is now no longer valid? Or can I reinstall it no problem using the same key that I already used and registered?l0ve

You should be fine. No matter what you WILL be able to install it. IF after the installation it asks you to activate windows just do what it says, and everything will work out fine.

Shoooryuken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Shoooryuken
Member since 2009 • 969 Posts
Will Windows 7 work on my PC, which is labeled "Vista Capable"? (It's got XP right now)
flowdee79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#218 flowdee79
Member since 2007 • 4483 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked, but does anyone know where I can download daemon tools lite for Windows 7? Every time I run my current version it informs me there are compatibility issues.
rastaman219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 rastaman219
Member since 2006 • 3032 Posts
Will Windows 7 work on my PC, which is labeled "Vista Capable"? (It's got XP right now)Shoooryuken
Yeah should do. Download the Win 7 Compatibility Checker just incase. Google it.
expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 expanded
So when i bought Win7 they made me get this folder that contains setup.exe, boot etc... I'm trying to burn it into a DVD.. do i burn that folder as an .iso or what? help pl0x !
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Ghost_loy

Sorry if this has been asked, but does anyone know where I can download daemon tools lite for Windows 7? Every time I run my current version it informs me there are compatibility issues.flowdee79

http://www.disc-tools.com/download/daemon

So when i bought Win7 they made me get this folder that contains setup.exe, boot etc... I'm trying to burn it into a DVD.. do i burn that folder as an .iso or what? help pl0x !expanded

Assuming you bought it off the student discount then I answered your question already.

It should be here:http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27072155&page=2

Just look for my post, otherwise it's on page 3 for me.

l0ve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 l0ve

[QUOTE="l0ve"]Ok so I recently installed windows 7. I entered the key for it and had it registered. Now my Hard drive is having some physical problems so I need to reinstall windows 7, since I registered it and all I'm just wondering if my key for it is now no longer valid? Or can I reinstall it no problem using the same key that I already used and registered?Ghost_loy

You should be fine. No matter what you WILL be able to install it. IF after the installation it asks you to activate windows just do what it says, and everything will work out fine.

Yep I reinstalled, everything worked out fine just like you said, thanks.
JJS29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 JJS29
Member since 2003 • 391 Posts

I kind of want to buy a game from Steam but I don't see anywhere that it states it supports Windows 7. I'm sure it does, but has anyone tried it? Also, can I play games that I download offline with Steam?

expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 expanded
Just look for my post, otherwise it's on page 3 for meGhost_loy
I approve of your statement.. thanks!
expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 expanded

I kind of want to buy a game from Steam but I don't see anywhere that it states it supports Windows 7. I'm sure it does, but has anyone tried it? Also, can I play games that I download offline with Steam?

JJS29
I can guarantee you most steam games will work with win7..
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
When I'm trying to download something(happened from time to time and only with images),I get an error saying "You don't have the permission to modify files in this network location. Contact the administrator per permission to make these changes" But I'm the administrator and the only account is mine,what an I do?
Rougehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#227 Rougehunter
Member since 2004 • 5873 Posts

I bought the student version when I finished downloading it I get an error when opening the setup in the folder and the one on the desktop. The setup in the folder is saying it is not a valid windows image and the one for unloading the box is saying the folder properties needs read only to be turned off. When I try to change it though it keeps going back to read only.

l0ve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 l0ve

JJS29
So far all my games work on steam on windows 7., orange box, far cry, stalker, etc..
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Ghost_loy
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]When I'm trying to download something(happened from time to time and only with images),I get an error saying "You don't have the permission to modify files in this network location. Contact the administrator per permission to make these changes" But I'm the administrator and the only account is mine,what an I do?

I've found some possible culprits, do you have Nod32? If so then disable it when saving the files. If you do then you need a newer version, update it. Alternatively are you an admin account? Be sure to give your profile full access to the C:\ drive.

I bought the student version when I finished downloading it I get an error when opening the setup in the folder and the one on the desktop. The setup in the folder is saying it is not a valid windows image and the one for unloading the box is saying the folder properties needs read only to be turned off. When I try to change it though it keeps going back to read only.

Rougehunter
If you bought the student version then you cannot run it without burning the iso to disc, please see my post on page 3 explaining how to convert the folders to iso.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]When I'm trying to download something(happened from time to time and only with images),I get an error saying "You don't have the permission to modify files in this network location. Contact the administrator per permission to make these changes" But I'm the administrator and the only account is mine,what an I do?Ghost_loy
I've found some possible culprits, do you have Nod32? If so then disable it when saving the files. If you do then you need a newer version, update it. Alternatively are you an admin account? Be sure to give your profile full access to the C:\ drive.

I already have full access to the C:\. I guess I'll go back with Kaspersky if I have to disable it quite often...

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Tjeremiah1988
[QUOTE="Ghost_loy"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"]When I'm trying to download something(happened from time to time and only with images),I get an error saying "You don't have the permission to modify files in this network location. Contact the administrator per permission to make these changes" But I'm the administrator and the only account is mine,what an I do?

Rougehunter
If you bought the student version then you cannot run it without burning the iso to disc, please see my post on page 3 explaining how to convert the folders to iso.

MS should fire that company who was in charge of the download student deals. Not only did they not inform us about a non iso image or inform us that if you bought the 64bit and want to custom installing in a 32bit OS, You CAN'T. And get this. the day of the download release, it was already all over the internet (setup, box 1 and 2) that is apparently easily hackable. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-RTM-Leaked-Direct-Download-Links-125141.shtml
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Tjeremiah1988

On a good note, Firefox 3.6 Beta comes out today which takes advantage of the new Windows 7 Taskbar :D. Cant find link right now, dont think its up, yet. Testers will notice that Firefox 3.6 will make use of Aero Peek, Thumbnail Previews via the Taskbar (Superbar) and Jumplists in Windows 7 just as Internet Explorer 8 does.

Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Ghost_loy
[QUOTE="Tjeremiah1988"][QUOTE="Ghost_loy"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"] If you bought the student version then you cannot run it without burning the iso to disc, please see my post on page 3 explaining how to convert the folders to iso.

MS should fire that company who was in charge of the download student deals. Not only did they not inform us about a non iso image or inform us that if you bought the 64bit and want to custom installing in a 32bit OS, You CAN'T. And get this. the day of the download release, it was already all over the internet (setup, box 1 and 2) that is apparently easily hackable. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-RTM-Leaked-Direct-Download-Links-125141.shtml

Well, the installing 64 bit from 32 bit isnt really a problem as you can just format the drive and install the 64 bit with the disk. But ya overall it was a bad release.

On a good note, Firefox 3.6 Beta comes out today which takes advantage of the new Windows 7 Taskbar :D. Cant find link right now, dont think its up, yet. Testers will notice that Firefox 3.6 will make use of Aero Peek, Thumbnail Previews via the Taskbar (Superbar) and Jumplists in Windows 7 just as Internet Explorer 8 does.

Tjeremiah1988
That sounds awesome.
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Ghost_loy
An update for those who have an MSDN copy, first it does NOT stop providing you with updates once you graduate, nothing actually happens. However the terms of service for the MSDN versions state that you must use the copmuter for educational purposes. So if you continue to use it after you graduate you will be in violation of the Microsoft TOS. Also, if you log into the MSDN website you can actually order the Win 7 Pro twice! Simply order the free Win 7 64bit and then the Win 7 32 bit, you will be able to d/l both and be provided with separate Activation Keys.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Tjeremiah1988
An update for those who have an MSDN copy, first it does NOT stop providing you with updates once you graduate, nothing actually happens. However the terms of service for the MSDN versions state that you must use the copmuter for educational purposes. So if you continue to use it after you graduate you will be in violation of the Microsoft TOS. Also, if you log into the MSDN website you can actually order the Win 7 Pro twice! Simply order the free Win 7 64bit and then the Win 7 32 bit, you will be able to d/l both and be provided with separate Activation Keys.Ghost_loy
:shock: thanks for the info.
expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 expanded
I thought I'd share my experience on what happend when I installed Windows 7.. First burning it took me awhile to figure out but wasn't that bad.. then.. Figuring out that 64-bit Vista Home Premium cannot go to 64-bit Win7 Prof. I was sad I had to backup my files for about 3 hours.. Finally popping in the Win7 cd to install it said it would move all my files to Windows.old .. then I cried in pain with a big NOOOOOOO reading those words considering I spent hours backing up -_- I said okay that's fine.. So as it finished installing I noticed whenever i see windows.. it would just stay black.. I thought it was because i corrupted the HDD as because I was trying to partition it while Vista was already installed.. so I said oh well atleast I backed up and reformated the HDD Next thing I know.. after I reinstalled Win7 with the reformatted HDD it was still showing a black screen -__-;... googling on my phone I find out it was because I had two outputs from my video card.. I remove the output to my TV and wala.. windows 7 shows up.. In summary. I fail at life. But in TIP: if you see a blank screen. just unplug your second video card output.. -sigh-beans.
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Ghost_loy
[QUOTE="expanded"]I thought I'd share my experience on what happend when I installed Windows 7.. First burning it took me awhile to figure out but wasn't that bad.. then.. Figuring out that 64-bit Vista Home Premium cannot go to 64-bit Win7 Prof. I was sad I had to backup my files for about 3 hours.. Finally popping in the Win7 cd to install it said it would move all my files to Windows.old .. then I cried in pain with a big NOOOOOOO reading those words considering I spent hours backing up -_- I said okay that's fine.. So as it finished installing I noticed whenever i see windows.. it would just stay black.. I thought it was because i corrupted the HDD as because I was trying to partition it while Vista was already installed.. so I said oh well atleast I backed up and reformated the HDD Next thing I know.. after I reinstalled Win7 with the reformatted HDD it was still showing a black screen -__-;... googling on my phone I find out it was because I had two outputs from my video card.. I remove the output to my TV and wala.. windows 7 shows up.. In summary. I fail at life. But in TIP: if you see a blank screen. just unplug your second video card output.. -sigh-beans.

Cool story bro, thanks for the tip. :)
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
THIS IS WEAK MATES!! I had a brain fart and never bothered to see if my dads laptop was 64-bit compatible not that it really matters, but it's not so he's stuck with XP :lol: Then i decide to install it on the family PC which is chained up with 2 IDE Drives on 1 slot, the CD drive is master and hasn't given me any problems until now. IT WON'T DETECT THE DISC! :x As long as it works for my PC i'll be fine but right now this is irritating, i might buy a new SATA DVD drive for this PC when the RC expires and i have to install 7.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#239 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
I have a question, if I may ask: For those who got the student deal and have ordered the backup disk, have you gotten it yet? (Cause I haven't...yet)
expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 expanded
[QUOTE="tjoeb123"]I have a question, if I may ask: For those who got the student deal and have ordered the backup disk, have you gotten it yet? (Cause I haven't...yet)

why have a backup disk when you can burnz it yo self!
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Ghost_loy
[QUOTE="tjoeb123"]I have a question, if I may ask: For those who got the student deal and have ordered the backup disk, have you gotten it yet? (Cause I haven't...yet)

Expanded is correct, and as I have posted multiple times now page 3 of this topic has the instructions to burning the MSDN version. If you have a different student discount then the burn process should be self explanatory.
Marvi_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 Marvi_I
Member since 2007 • 451 Posts
Do you need an internet connection to install Windows 7 Upgrade on a XP PC?
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 tjoeb123
[QUOTE="expanded"][QUOTE="tjoeb123"]I have a question, if I may ask: For those who got the student deal and have ordered the backup disk, have you gotten it yet? (Cause I haven't...yet)

why have a backup disk when you can burnz it yo self!

Because I like shiny discs, and I already paid for the disc before even knowing that you could burn it to a blank DVD, of which I don't have atm.
FiFa_kirikiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 FiFa_kirikiki
Member since 2008 • 978 Posts

Is it possible to a Windows Vista x64 to run Win7 x32?

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 tjoeb123

FiFa_kirikiki
Only if you clean install.
FiFa_kirikiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 FiFa_kirikiki
Member since 2008 • 978 Posts
[QUOTE="FiFa_kirikiki"]

tjoeb123

but will it work correctly, 'cause i have heard that computers that comes originally with Vista x64 installed just runs x64 OS 'cause of some codecs, it is true?
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Ghost_loy

Do you need an internet connection to install Windows 7 Upgrade on a XP PC?Marvi_I
No.

but will it work correctly, 'cause i have heard that computers that comes originally with Vista x64 installed just runs x64 OS 'cause of some codecs, it is true?FiFa_kirikiki

It should work fine, just do a clean install or a dual boot.

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Tjeremiah1988
[QUOTE="tjoeb123"][QUOTE="FiFa_kirikiki"]

FiFa_kirikiki

but will it work correctly, 'cause i have heard that computers that comes originally with Vista x64 installed just runs x64 OS 'cause of some codecs, it is true?

im sure it will run 32 just fine. BUT, if your drivers are already 64, they might have trouble running in a 32bit windows. If you can, just get windows7 64bit.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Tjeremiah1988
here are some more theme options for those who care. One bit of a let down is that I thought you can literally change windows default icons easily with a theme install, but that doesnt seem to be the case. Though in a couple of images, the start orb is changed but its a lot to go through to change it. Anyway , here : http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/download-windows-7-themes/
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 Tjeremiah1988
Fresh off the servers, FireFox Beta 3.6 is out. It takes advantage of Windows 7 areo and new taskbar. LINK : https://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2009/10/30/firefox-3-6-beta-1-is-now-available-for-download/