Official Windows 7 thread. Post all your Windows 7-related topics here.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

digitalman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 digitalman42
Member since 2007 • 888 Posts

My question is can I buy a upgrade if my prior key is OEM???

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
blah, Windows 7 has been a pain so far. First the painful, long process trying to convert my file into iso (the damn student site doesnt even tell you in advance, nor the problems with 64 in a 32). Because I went to 32 to 64, Sony, on their official website basically said they will not even bother to support my notebook. The brightness on 7 doesnt work, nor does the touchpad correctly. Ive been searching for drivers for hrs, no luck. I guess ill have to wait months for a possible fix. Anyway, im off to class..
Marvi_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Marvi_I
Member since 2007 • 451 Posts
How do you intall Windows 7 from XP with the Upgrade version? Do I need my XP disc or product key? Please give steps. Thanks.
skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#104 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

WOW i didnt realize i could get directx11 on my video card wooot. I just did a dxdiag in win7 and the version it says i have dx11. I thought they where on the new cards only. :D

Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

You need a version of XP installed to use the upgrade version. Any version will of XP do.

Note : I added a Q&A to the first post to handle the most frequently asked questions. I will keep it updated as new questions arise.

Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Gog

WOW i didnt realize i could get directx11 on my video card wooot. I just did a dxdiag in win7 and the version it says i have dx11. I thought they where on the new cards only. :D

skipper847

Directx 11 has compatibility modes for directx 9, directx 10 and directx 11 hardware. It means you can use directx 11 on non-directx 11 hardware but you won't benefit from the extra directx 11 features.

boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#107 boostud
Member since 2004 • 1242 Posts

what would you be upgrading from?, if you didn't have a previous installation on your hdd?, you need a previous install..

jamesfffan
The reason I ask is because back in the day you could use the XP upgrade disc with NO OS INSTALLED. It prompted you for your 98/ME disk during the install to verify you had a copy of it. It didn't require you to run the 98 setup and then do it all over again with the XP setup. I was hoping for the same here as it sucks installing XP just to rerun another setup. Time is a luxury that I just dont have lately.
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Ghost_loy
Member since 2005 • 2447 Posts

Sorry if I overlooked this somewhere here, but from what I'm seeing is that with the 'upgrade' disc you can do a clean install? No Vista or XP installation has to be present?.

jamesfffan

what would you be upgrading from?, if you didn't have a previous installation on your hdd?, you need a previous install..

jamesfffan
I'm not sure he needs a previous install, after I created my disc I formatted my HDD and used the disc to install Win 7.
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Ghost_loy
[QUOTE="jamesfffan"]

boostud
The reason I ask is because back in the day you could use the XP upgrade disc with NO OS INSTALLED. It prompted you for your 98/ME disk during the install to verify you had a copy of it. It didn't require you to run the 98 setup and then do it all over again with the XP setup. I was hoping for the same here as it sucks installing XP just to rerun another setup. Time is a luxury that I just dont have lately.

I was NEVER prompted for any disc during installation.
spoo_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 spoo_
Member since 2004 • 27 Posts
[QUOTE="jamesfffan"]

boostud

Vista also had a trick that you could install the upgrade disc and not register then install the upgrade disc again and it counted as an "upgrade". Does anyone know if you can do something similar to Win7 yet? I ask because I have a HTPC that I built a few months ago and I didn't buy a copy of Windows for it so I just installed my copy of Vista on it using the same serial as my PC and I just never activated it. I bought 2 copies of Win7 upgrade this summer when they were $50 planing on upgrading my non registered HTPC with one copy. Does anyone know if Windows needs to be registered to upgrade with 7 yet? My copies are in the mail so I can't test this for myself yet.
jamesfffan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 jamesfffan
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

For the Upgrade Edition:

I assumed the way it works is, if you choose "upgrade" while installing, it checks or asks for a Vista/XP disc to confirm you have an original previous version.

But if you choose "custom" it wipes the hard drive and allows for a clean install even though you are using the upgrade disc and not the full retail. But if you do have a previous install but want a fresh install, then you have the option of saving your files in a folder named "windows.old."

It that not the case?

SophaerLam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 SophaerLam
Member since 2004 • 554 Posts

Upgrade is a full retail version but it only installs on machines that already have Vista installed OEM is the fullpackage though it's only meant for Original Electronics Manufacturers (HP, Compaq ect) it dosn't have any official customer support.

I have an HP and I received my W7 upgrade, is it important that I us the OEM version or can I just install the other version on my pc without any problems.

boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 boostud
Member since 2004 • 1242 Posts
[QUOTE="jamesfffan"]

Sorry if I overlooked this somewhere here, but from what I'm seeing is that with the 'upgrade' disc you can do a clean install? No Vista or XP installation has to be present?.

Ghost_loy

jamesfffan
I'm not sure he needs a previous install, after I created my disc I formatted my HDD and used the disc to install Win 7.

There is the answer then guys. You can do a clean install with NO proof of previous version (nor by disk or previous install) to install Windows 7 via the upgrade disc.
Recontrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#114 Recontrooper
Member since 2009 • 1012 Posts
Quick question, is the $30 for Windows 7 only for an upgrade, b/c right now I'm only running the beta RC so will i be able to buy the upgrade version or do I have to shell out a $100 for the oem?
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Gog

Are you sure? I find this hard to believe. This would mean there is no difference at all between the Full version and the Upgrade version of Windows 7. Earlier statements were clear about the fact you needed a previously activated copy of Windows 2K,XP, Vista or event he 7 RC installed in order to use the upgrade disk.

jamesfffan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 jamesfffan

Are you sure? I find this hard to believe. This would mean there is no difference at all between the Full version and the Upgrade version of Windows 7. Earlier statements were clear about the fact you needed a previously activated copy of Windows 2K,XP, Vista or event he 7 RC installed in order to use the upgrade disk.

Gog

This is my understanding too.

From your source:

If you are running the Windows 7 Release Candidate, and you have activated it,you will not need to reinstall an older version of Windows before using an Windows 7 upgrade disk.

But there's a catch. If for some reason you later need to reinstall the finished version of Windows 7 from scratch using the upgrade copy you bought, you'll first need to install and activate Windows XP or Vista.

spellsword107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 spellsword107
Member since 2008 • 57 Posts

I just got windows 7 home premium 64 bit. turns out my wireless network card isn't compadable. Can someone recommend me a few that will work. thanks

jamesfffan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 jamesfffan

Which card do you have?

Have you been to the manufacturer's website for the latest drivers?

Have you tried simply disabling, then re-enabling the card?

Recontrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Recontrooper
Member since 2009 • 1012 Posts
Quick question, is the $30 for Windows 7 only for an upgrade, b/c right now I'm only running the beta RC so will i be able to buy the upgrade version or do I have to shell out a $100 for the oem?Recontrooper
Can someone please answer my question?
Marvi_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Marvi_I
I have the Windows 7 Upgrade version but have not installed yet. I want to do this: I save my files that I want to keep ,eg. word docs, music, to a laptop. Then I want to completely get rid off everything on my PC and my old OS (XP) and don't want any settings or stuff to be saved so I start fresh and then I can manually transfer the files I saved from my laptop. So what do I choose when installing Win 7? Do I not need the .Old file?(What ever it is called). What options will I need to select? Thanks in advance.
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Ghost_loy

For the Upgrade Edition:

I assumed the way it works is, if you choose "upgrade" while installing, it checks or asks for a Vista/XP disc to confirm you have an original previous version.

But if you choose "custom" it wipes the hard drive and allows for a clean install even though you are using the upgrade disc and not the full retail. But if you do have a previous install but want a fresh install, then you have the option of saving your files in a folder named "windows.old."

It that not the case?

jamesfffan
That appears to be the case.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Tjeremiah1988
[QUOTE="Recontrooper"]Quick question, is the $30 for Windows 7 only for an upgrade, b/c right now I'm only running the beta RC so will i be able to buy the upgrade version or do I have to shell out a $100 for the oem?Recontrooper
Can someone please answer my question?

you mean the student one? Well I did it and it saids retail. I dont know if that helps. Basically, you can upgrade if you have VISTA 32 and get the Win7 32, others, you have to do a custom.
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Ghost_loy

SophaerLam

Upgrade is a full retail version but it only installs on machines that already have Vista installed OEM is the fullpackage though it's only meant for Original Electronics Manufacturers (HP, Compaq ect) it dosn't have any official customer support.

I have an HP and I received my W7 upgrade, is it important that I us the OEM version or can I just install the other version on my pc without any problems.

You can install whatever version you see fit.
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Ghost_loy

Gog
I installed just fine after doing a format of my Vista using the Windows 7 Upgrade. [QUOTE=""]

I save my files that I want to keep ,eg. word docs, music, to a laptop. Then I want to completely get rid off everything on my PC and my old OS (XP) and don't want any settings or stuff to be saved so I start fresh and then I can manually transfer the files I saved from my laptop.

Simply put the Win 7 disc in, when it asks you what drive you want to install click "Advanced"(or whatever the button is called) then format the drive you intend to use. Now NOTHING will be on the drive except for the new Win 7 install.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Tjeremiah1988
I just got an idea. Anyone knows how to allow Windows to search for other updates instead of from Microsoft?
cfwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 cfwin
Member since 2006 • 344 Posts

Question: What version of win7 should I go with?

Home premium, Pro or Ultimate? I've been using the RC since May and I really like it and that corresponds to the Ultimate? Should I get the home premium since its the smallest, i.e. least bloated but is it lacking in functionality and features? If the Pro and Ultimate versions are bigger are they then slower but offer more features that u actually use?

According to wiki, home premium is for the average consumer, and pro and ultimate for the enthusiast. I suppose I'm an average consumer but I like to think of my self as an enthusiast, so which version and why?

cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
One thing that I am totally disappointed with is the fact that with Home Premium you can NOT RDP to the freaking machine....why did they remove that feature? That's so freakin stupid....
spoo_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 spoo_
Member since 2004 • 27 Posts

Question: What version of win7 should I go with?cfwin

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

blah, Windows 7 has been a pain so far. First the painful, long process trying to convert my file into iso (the damn student site doesnt even tell you in advance, nor the problems with 64 in a 32). Because I went to 32 to 64, Sony, on their official website basically said they will not even bother to support my notebook. The brightness on 7 doesnt work, nor does the touchpad correctly. Ive been searching for drivers for hrs, no luck. I guess ill have to wait months for a possible fix. Anyway, im off to class.. Tjeremiah1988

Vista 64 drivers work in Windows 7 64

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Tjeremiah1988

[QUOTE="Tjeremiah1988"]blah, Windows 7 has been a pain so far. First the painful, long process trying to convert my file into iso (the damn student site doesnt even tell you in advance, nor the problems with 64 in a 32). Because I went to 32 to 64, Sony, on their official website basically said they will not even bother to support my notebook. The brightness on 7 doesnt work, nor does the touchpad correctly. Ive been searching for drivers for hrs, no luck. I guess ill have to wait months for a possible fix. Anyway, im off to class.. Netherscourge

thats my problem. I went from 32 to 64. And the funny thing is, the Sony website for Windows 7, since its launch has said when oct 22nd comes, you will be able to see if your notebook can work with windows 7. Its finally oct 22nd and even though my notebook is obviously ready for win7 and 64bit, they refuse to even support my notebook or to update apps so it can work. I have been searching for hrs for a 64bit alphs touchpad drive and a solution to the FN keys not working on brightness and cant find anything.
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Netherscourge

One thing that I am totally disappointed with is the fact that with Home Premium you can NOT RDP to the freaking machine....why did they remove that feature? That's so freakin stupid....cell_dweller

Can't you just install a 3rd party program to do the same thing?

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Netherscourge

[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

[QUOTE="Tjeremiah1988"]blah, Windows 7 has been a pain so far. First the painful, long process trying to convert my file into iso (the damn student site doesnt even tell you in advance, nor the problems with 64 in a 32). Because I went to 32 to 64, Sony, on their official website basically said they will not even bother to support my notebook. The brightness on 7 doesnt work, nor does the touchpad correctly. Ive been searching for drivers for hrs, no luck. I guess ill have to wait months for a possible fix. Anyway, im off to class.. Tjeremiah1988

thats my problem. I went from 32 to 64. And the funny thing is, the Sony website for Windows 7, since its launch has said when oct 22nd comes, you will be able to see if your notebook can work with windows 7. Its finally oct 22nd and even though my notebook is obviously ready for win7 and 64bit, they refuse to even support my notebook or to update apps so it can work. I have been searching for hrs for a 64bit alphs touchpad drive and a solution to the FN keys not working on brightness and cant find anything.

Have you run Microsoft Updater yet?

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Tjeremiah1988

[QUOTE="Tjeremiah1988"][QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

Netherscourge

yea, i asked is there a way for the update to get other things beside MS stuff , but then again, it did update my intel cards :? . But the touchpad and FN keys, nope.
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Netherscourge

[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

[QUOTE="Tjeremiah1988"] thats my problem. I went from 32 to 64. And the funny thing is, the Sony website for Windows 7, since its launch has said when oct 22nd comes, you will be able to see if your notebook can work with windows 7. Its finally oct 22nd and even though my notebook is obviously ready for win7 and 64bit, they refuse to even support my notebook or to update apps so it can work. I have been searching for hrs for a 64bit alphs touchpad drive and a solution to the FN keys not working on brightness and cant find anything. Tjeremiah1988

yea, i asked is there a way for the update to get other things beside MS stuff , but then again, it did update my intel cards :? . But the touchpad and FN keys, nope.

You have a Vaio or something like that? WHat's the model #?

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Tjeremiah1988

[QUOTE="Tjeremiah1988"][QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

Netherscourge

You have a Vaio or something like that? WHat's the model #?

VAIO VGN-NR160E . Dont bother, I literally search every search options from google with no luck.
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Netherscourge

Yikes:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/os7upgrade.pl?mdl=VGNNR160E

Sorry dude. Looks like your SOL. Still supports VISTA though.

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Tjeremiah1988

Yikes:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/os7upgrade.pl?mdl=VGNNR160E

Sorry dude. Looks like your SOL. Still supports VISTA though.

Netherscourge
yea, i was aware of this. Just wish they would of flat out said so at least a week ago. But the good news is, im not the only one, so i know someone out there is creating a solution. I'll just have to...wait:?
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Tjeremiah1988

1 SOLVED : I fount a HUGE list of drivers for Sony products, 32 and 64 bit for Windows 7 and can confirm that they do in fact work. Maybe the MOD can add this to the first page?

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/VAIO/ORIGINAL/

Now, just gotta figure out which fixes the brightness issue and all is well :D

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#139 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

I just used the upgrade option on mine and it installed fine on my year old Asus laptop. Bought the family pack for 7 home premium.

cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

Can't you just install a 3rd party program to do the same thing?

I ended up rolling with PC anywhere, but still a pain...
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
I really like 7 so far. I have only encountered two problems: WMP no longer drops down to a toolbar, and there are no drivers for my printer model for 7. However, even though there are no drivers, it still reads my printer, and allows me to print, so good times. :)
jamesfffan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 jamesfffan

dude switch the window in wmp12 to the now playing window, minimize it, and you will see when you hover over it on the taskbar, you can play/pause/skipnext/goback tracks and has the visualization playing at the same time through aero preview. Small correction in library view the icon is in the bottom RIGHT.

wmp12

Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Ghost_loy
Wow, literally hours after I purchased Win 7 Home Premium for 30 USD and installed it my University is Offering Windows 7 Pro for FREE!!!!!
Marvi_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Marvi_I

Will that delete everything on C:, D:, E: and F: ?

Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Ghost_loy
Will what delete everything? Installing Win 7 will only remove everything from whatever drive you choose to install it on.
Marvi_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Marvi_I

Will what delete everything? Installing Win 7 will only remove everything from whatever drive you choose to install it on.Ghost_loy

Is there an option while installing to format all the drives?

And, Will this work...

If I save my files that I want to keepon Drive D and then after I have installed Win 7 on C:, my files will still be there on my PC in Drive D ?

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Tjeremiah1988
Wow, literally hours after I purchased Win 7 Home Premium for 30 USD and installed it my University is Offering Windows 7 Pro for FREE!!!!!Ghost_loy
id be tight (mad)! But hey, at least when you bought it , you didnt pay 200+ like many.
digitalman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 digitalman42

If I have Vista OEM 32-bit and want to upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit, which ones would let me do that, oem, upgrade, full retail?

Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Gog

All of them: 64bit OEM, Upgrade retail or Full retail. You'll need a clean install in any case.

digitalman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 digitalman42

Is it true with OEM you only get to reinstall it 3 times?