Farewell Steam Winter Sale!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

David719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#351 David719
Member since 2007 • 2187 Posts

Purchased the Dawn of War Franchise pack. I've been meaning to play these games for years

I was hoping Hotline Miami would be chosen.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#352 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

[QUOTE="FamilyGuyFan507"]

Why does Amazon not give me the option to buy games and put them on Steam, rather than their client? Is there a way to do this? The Amazon Client BLOWS.

FamilyGuyFan507

Which games did you purchase? They are in your game library, and just click to "view product key." Copy and paste that into Steam "activate a product on steam." Actually, Amazon.com (as far as I know), is the only digital service merchant selling steam keys for games that are not "steamworks." Other digital services are not doing that. In any case, if a game is steamworks, it doesn't matter where you purchase it; it will activate on steam.

In the case that a game uses other SecuROM, you can download it through Amazon.com and I've never had an issue with it. Download speed is very fast too.

I bought GTA IV Complete Edition (Only 7 dollars) and had to download it through their client. It is so miserably slow. I'm wanting to buy the Civilization 5 collection (link follows) so far, everyone says you can download it strictly to Steam. I'm hoping so. I did not get any way of downloading GTA through Steam, just popped up straight to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMKTR48/ref=amb_link_367831062_4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=0H1R1Y50YV3NTAPEK3TX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1446826902&pf_rd_i=979455011

As of now, the more popular, more recent games are getting the Steam DRM key attention at Amazon.com. Hopefully Amazon improves this in the future. Sorry to hear about your download speed. With mine, I get about .5 mb faster download speed on Steam compared to Amazon which averages around 1.5mb/s
Avatar image for FamilyGuyFan507
FamilyGuyFan507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#353 FamilyGuyFan507
Member since 2005 • 2463 Posts

[QUOTE="FamilyGuyFan507"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Which games did you purchase? They are in your game library, and just click to "view product key." Copy and paste that into Steam "activate a product on steam." Actually, Amazon.com (as far as I know), is the only digital service merchant selling steam keys for games that are not "steamworks." Other digital services are not doing that. In any case, if a game is steamworks, it doesn't matter where you purchase it; it will activate on steam.

In the case that a game uses other SecuROM, you can download it through Amazon.com and I've never had an issue with it. Download speed is very fast too.

Elann2008

I have a blazing fast internet and Amazon's Downloader took me about 12 hours to download GTA. I'm like really? That doesn't even make sense to me. I downloaded The Witcher 2, SimCity 4 and The Sims for my Sister in like 8.

I bought GTA IV Complete Edition (Only 7 dollars) and had to download it through their client. It is so miserably slow. I'm wanting to buy the Civilization 5 collection (link follows) so far, everyone says you can download it strictly to Steam. I'm hoping so. I did not get any way of downloading GTA through Steam, just popped up straight to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMKTR48/ref=amb_link_367831062_4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=0H1R1Y50YV3NTAPEK3TX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1446826902&pf_rd_i=979455011

As of now, the more popular, more recent games are getting the Steam DRM key attention at Amazon.com. Hopefully Amazon improves this in the future. Sorry to hear about your download speed. With mine, I get about .5 mb faster download speed on Steam compared to Amazon which averages around 1.5mb/s

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354 Elann2008
Total War SHOGUN 2 - $7. Comes with steam key.
Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#355 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
Wanna get Farcry 3 but its not on sale.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#356 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Purchased the Dawn of War Franchise pack. I've been meaning to play these games for years

I was hoping Hotline Miami would be chosen.

David719

Hotline Miami is $5 on Gamefly

FamilyGuyFan507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357 FamilyGuyFan507

Wanna get Farcry 3 but its not on sale. Led_poison

I assure you, most of us are right in your position. Hahaha. I check Steam every minute in the hopes that it will be.

fighter91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#358 fighter91
Member since 2005 • 1293 Posts
Bought Hotline Miami for 4 bucks with the coupon from Gamefly. I couldn't resist, even though my backlog is fairly big.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

As always nicely done mate, hats off to you. I'm sure i am going to be catching up on a lot of games i may have missed during the year.

BattleSpectre

Thanks Battle! I haven't seen you in a while. xD Are you playing any game in particular? (you do not have to answer lol). I needed a horror-fix so I bought FEAR 3. I know, not the best choice as I already have Amnesia and Dead Space games, but I guess it's close enough. Cheers.

Haha yeah it's been a while since i've come on ay. I've just been busy with family, friends and work you know how crazy that gets sometimes xD, it's a nice relief now that i'm on holidays and have a nice break from work so i have plenty of time to catch up on games and the like.

At the moment i'm playing through L.A. Noire (got it from Steam recently for like $5), I did rent it for the 360 a while ago but never got to finish it and i must say i am having an absolute blast with this game. Rockstar certainly know how to create some masterpieces. I also just picked up Far Cry 3 the other week but have yet to start it.

Not to mention some other games i'll most likely be buying through this Steam Sale, Oh and my massive backlog of games which seems to get bigger and bigger as time passes on :evil: I'm going to really have my hands full this christmas break thats for sure lol

How have you been? Hope everything is going well for you and happy holidays =]

Being busy with friends and family, as well as work are great. :) Hope you're having a wonderful holiday too! I kept looking at LA Noire complete edition. Don't tempt me! lol. I have a huge backlog as well that I am not proud of. Far Cry 3 is awesome. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Yeah, haha. There's still 14 days left. It's insane. I've been good. I'm also on holiday vacation so I can't complain. I don't go back to work until the day after New Year's Day.

Stay safe but have lots of fun. :)

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360 Elann2008

Bought Hotline Miami for 4 bucks with the coupon from Gamefly. I couldn't resist, even though my backlog is fairly big.fighter91

Looks like a fun and entertaining game. I am eyeing that as well.

I've been playing FEAR 3. It's very good. I don't get the hate. Funny because I replayed the original FEAR a couple of days ago, and I wasn't expecting to purchase FEAR 3. I've played it at a friends house for a good hour and I hated it for some reason. I guess it was the prison level. Why do prison levels suck in video games? (also in Dead Island)

Once I got passed the first two missions, it turned out to be so much better than I thought. The atmosphere is insane. The attention to detail, tremendous. The graphics isn't ground-breaking like the original in its time, but it's better-looking than some modern games that would also be considered good-looking.

I've been wanting to satisfy my horror-fix and I'm glad I found FEAR 3. It's exactly what I needed. Yeah, sure, it isn't super scary, or anything but it nails the atmosphere. The gunplay is up to standard, and bad gunplay is something I notice right away. I'm a graphics-junkie as well and this game also looks up to standard. For what it's worth, it's a great buy at $5. You can't go wrong.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361 Elann2008
Uhhh guys... Alan Wake American Nightmare$3.75. Activates on Steam. Excellent deal!
fighter91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362 fighter91
Uhhh guys... Alan Wake American Nightmare$3.75. Activates on Steam. Excellent deal!Elann2008
Do you need the original Alan Wake in order to play this one or is it a standalone?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Uhhh guys... Alan Wake American Nightmare$3.75. Activates on Steam. Excellent deal!fighter91
Do you need the original Alan Wake in order to play this one or is it a standalone?

It's a standalone. :) Average length is 4 hours. Completionist might take 6 hours.

fighter91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364 fighter91

[QUOTE="fighter91"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]Uhhh guys... Alan Wake American Nightmare$3.75. Activates on Steam. Excellent deal!Elann2008

It's a standalone. :) Average length is 4 hours. Completionist might take 6 hours.

which game do you think is more enjoyable, FEAR 3 or Alan Wake? If you had to pick one, which would it be?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

[QUOTE="fighter91"] Do you need the original Alan Wake in order to play this one or is it a standalone?fighter91

which game do you think is more enjoyable, FEAR 3 or Alan Wake? If you had to pick one, which would it be?

Don't make me pick xD I'd say Alan Wake only because I really liked the first one, and American Nightmare isn't a bad follow-up. It's not a sequel though. I thought A-Nightmare was pretty good. For $4/4hrs it's not a bad deal. I'm also only saying this because I haven't finished FEAR 3. I've only played 2 hours so far but I like it as well. Hope this helps!
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

[QUOTE="fighter91"] Do you need the original Alan Wake in order to play this one or is it a standalone?fighter91

I really enjoyed Alan wake, but I also enjoyed FEAR 3. Alan wake has terrific atmosphere as well as a well told story.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#367 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
Wanna get Farcry 3 but its not on sale. Led_poison
It's on sale for 25% off on the Ubisoft site.
lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368 lockjaw333
Member since 2003 • 1743 Posts
Anyone have thoughts on Dishonored? On sale for $30, and all I heard was great stuff about it.
lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369 lockjaw333
[QUOTE="Led_poison"]Wanna get Farcry 3 but its not on sale. x-2tha-z

Does it activate on Steam?
Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

[QUOTE="Led_poison"]Wanna get Farcry 3 but its not on sale. x-2tha-z

can get it from amazon for $39.99. Ubi store re-directs me to the Canadian website and the canadian price is $60 with 25% comes out to be $44.99, in other words **** that

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

[QUOTE="x-2tha-z"][QUOTE="Led_poison"]Wanna get Farcry 3 but its not on sale. lockjaw333

No - the version from Ubisoft is guaranteed to run through Uplay - Ubisofts own platform.

Someone may be able to correct me, but I think ALL versions of Far Cry 3 require Uplay, so even if you got it through Steam it still requires you to have and use a Uplay account.

That said I'm only going by what I've read on the forums - I'm still waiting for it to appear for a good discount in the sales :)

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Picked up Natural Selection 2 for $10 when it was on the flash sale, haven't tried it yet but it was a steal. Eyeing Blood Bowl for $5 at the moment, heard tons of good things from a friend and I do enjoy table top games. Otherwise for those who want some good cheap pickups, check this list: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33604516&postcount=1 I can safely say Hard Reset is a steal, and Zeno Clash is criminally cheap - it's a must own for that price, for the aesthetic alone.
lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373 lockjaw333

[QUOTE="x-2tha-z"][QUOTE="Led_poison"]Wanna get Farcry 3 but its not on sale. Led_poison

can get it from amazon for $39.99. Ubi store re-directs me to the Canadian website and the canadian price is $60 with 25% comes out to be $44.99, in other words **** that

In what country? Its $50 on amazon in the US.
lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374 lockjaw333

[QUOTE="lockjaw333"][QUOTE="x-2tha-z"] It's on sale for 25% off on the Ubisoft site.Avenger1324

No - the version from Ubisoft is guaranteed to run through Uplay - Ubisofts own platform.

Someone may be able to correct me, but I think ALL versions of Far Cry 3 require Uplay, so even if you got it through Steam it still requires you to have and use a Uplay account.

That said I'm only going by what I've read on the forums - I'm still waiting for it to appear for a good discount in the sales :)

So just like AC3.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Anyone have thoughts on Dishonored? On sale for $30, and all I heard was great stuff about it. lockjaw333
It's pretty great, though it is an odd game. Think Thief meets Blood Money and Deus Ex. There's tons of great stuff written about it, and it's a pretty great free form game, for that and its setting alone it's worth it imho. However the plot is pretty terrible which is a shame, and it isn't without its faults. If you do pick it up be sure to check for the .ini tweaks - all the texture and load in tweaks make an absolutely massive difference in terms of making the visuals pop out. Considering the Splinter Cell display pic, I reckon you'd get a kick out of it - just be sure to bump up the difficulty a little! Playing it stealthy at the moment, pretty damn good fun - a very interesting and creative game.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Why does Amazon not give me the option to buy games and put them on Steam, rather than their client? Is there a way to do this? The Amazon Client BLOWS.

FamilyGuyFan507

Yeah, I love Amazon's sales, but I agree in that their client sucks. Bought Crysis pack from them which weren't Origin keys and downloaded through them only to get corrupt files that wouldn't install. I eventually got Origin customer service to give me origin keys for both Crysis 1, Warhead, and got Crysis 2 for free since it was such a headache. :)

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen!

Dark Souls 15 bucks at Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Souls-Prepare-Online-Game/dp/B00917DBUE/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1356277442&sr=1-2&keywords=dark+souls

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378 Cwagmire21

[QUOTE="lockjaw333"][QUOTE="x-2tha-z"] It's on sale for 25% off on the Ubisoft site.Avenger1324

Yes, that's correct. If you buy through Steam, when you launch Far Cry 3, it just will launch UPlay.

I just purchased it through UPlay and they have a pretty dumb download limit so I'm having to save the installer on my external because you can't redownload the game after like 2 years or some BS. I'm thinking with Steam, even if it still has to launch UPlay, at least you will be able to download it unlimitedly throughout the years.

FamilyGuyFan507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379 FamilyGuyFan507

Two days straight where I have woken up to no deals on Steam. I am growing rather disappointed.

yonyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380 yonyz
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts
Be aware - Dark Souls is only playable with a 360 controller. If you don't want one, or have one but don't like using it, skip this game.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#381 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Be aware - Dark Souls is only playable with a 360 controller. If you don't want one, or have one but don't like using it, skip this game.yonyz
I suppose I could use a DS3 and make it emulate the 360 controller.
Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts
[QUOTE="yonyz"]Be aware - Dark Souls is only playable with a 360 controller. If you don't want one, or have one but don't like using it, skip this game.Miroku32
I suppose I could use a DS3 and make it emulate the 360 controller.

I have been using a DS3 with motionjoy and it works without a issue when I set it to emulate 360 controls.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Avenger1324"]

[QUOTE="lockjaw333"] Does it activate on Steam?lockjaw333

So just like AC3.

Get it from Gamefly.com and apply the Holiday20 coupon code.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384 Miroku32
Thanks for the reply. I have been thinking of getting this one but I have so many games but so little time... Gonna think for a while.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385 Elann2008
Civilization V for $7.49. Code activates on steam.
Avatar image for Redick_is_Magic
Redick_is_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386 Redick_is_Magic
Member since 2006 • 1778 Posts

Anyone think football manager 2013 will go lower than 50% off on steam? Its 50% at gamersgate now which is why I ask.

FamilyGuyFan507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387 FamilyGuyFan507

Civilization V for $7.49. Code activates on steam.Elann2008

I might be jumping on this. I still have Saints Row: The Third downloading as well as Liberty City Stories. Ugh. Steam is not really holding up to their end of the bargain with deals. I expect THIS kind of deal for Steam...nope. :(

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

yep steam dropped the ball this time. 0 purchases for me so far and i have multiple purchases from gamefly and gamersgate. I even have an amazon purchase but zip from steam. unusual.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389 Elann2008

Seriously, Valve? You couldn't fill up one slot? 5/6 games? xD I am very glad that other digital services are more prominent this winter sale. They have certainly beaten Steam to the punch, with fortitude. I still appreciate Steam, but this year's sale is a letdown. :P Is it me or did they also cut down the number of games on Daily Deals? Weren't there 12 games or more in daily deals during other sales?

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
Another pretty lack lustre day for Steam it seems. In previous years Steam really stood out from the crowd, so is it Steam not offering great deals this time, or is it other sites have really decided to compete?
Avatar image for Redick_is_Magic
Redick_is_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391 Redick_is_Magic
Member since 2006 • 1778 Posts

agreed...this steam sale is weak so far. flash sales less often and so far nothing that I want has come up...its been mainly indie games. Imo indie games shouldnt be apart of the daily deals...leave that for the flash sales which again should be every 6 hours instead of 12

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392 Elann2008

Another pretty lack lustre day for Steam it seems. In previous years Steam really stood out from the crowd, so is it Steam not offering great deals this time, or is it other sites have really decided to compete?Avenger1324
Yup. Competition is good though! Hopefully Valve are taking notes. They are not the gods of sales, no longer! Presentation is flash and it's nice and all, but it all comes down to the price tag.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393 Cwagmire21

[QUOTE="Avenger1324"]Another pretty lack lustre day for Steam it seems. In previous years Steam really stood out from the crowd, so is it Steam not offering great deals this time, or is it other sites have really decided to compete?Elann2008

Yup. Competition is good though! Hopefully Valve are taking notes. They are not the gods of sales, no longer! Presentation is flash and it's nice and all, but it all comes down to the price tag.

I'm wondering if Valve is starting to get a little cocky thinking they don't need to bring the big sales like they used to.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394 Cwagmire21

DA: Origins looks pretty nice at $7.49. Should I jump on it?

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395 Miroku32

Cwagmire21
Yes, it is a superb game. One of the best RPGs in recent years imo.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396 Elann2008

Cwagmire21

I'm sure if you look around, there's an ultimate edition somewhere for a small amount more. I've seen it a few times already during these sales. Let me know if you need help finding one, if there is one. :P

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

Elann2008

I'm sure if you look around, there's an ultimate edition somewhere for a small amount more. I've seen it a few times already during these sales. Let me know if you need help finding one, if there is one. :P

The ultimate edition of DAO is indeed on sale right now for $7.49. Cwagmire21, you should definitely jump on it.
yodude1026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398 yodude1026
Member since 2011 • 184 Posts
just bought portal 2 for £3! I LOVE STEAM!!! :D
Peanut04_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399 Peanut04_basic
Member since 2002 • 724 Posts

yep steam dropped the ball this time. 0 purchases for me so far and i have multiple purchases from gamefly and gamersgate. I even have an amazon purchase but zip from steam. unusual.

tanerb
I agree. I have gotten a couple things from Steam, but so far it hasn't been very remarkable. The fact that a lot of sites are beating them not only on price, but in the quality of titles being sold. We still have a few days left left, so I hope Steam will really pick up the pace and surprise everybody.
balders1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400 balders1982
Member since 2008 • 312 Posts

Pretty good haul so far:

Prince of Persia complete pack,

The Sims 3,

Sim City 4 Deluxe,

Little Inferno,

Ace of Spades,

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

Add these games to my back log and I should be alright until the Steam summer sales:P

Also keeping my fingers crossed for a sale on Far Cry 3, but I doubt it would happen this close to its release