Duke Nukem - 5.5 on IGN

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1175639p1.html

The review was done on the 360....but still, it's not looking good for Duke fans.

"In most cases, the sections in Duke Nukem Forever that connect the shooting are dull, derivative experiences that feel like they exist for no other reason than to bloat the story mode, and it isn't clear if they're meant to parody video game filler content. It might be if different if Duke approached a puzzle section, laughed, lobbed some curse words at it and moved on, but since we're forced to solve the puzzles to continue it's not tongue-in-cheek satire, unless the joke is on us. "

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Not to surpising, i semi agree

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

More and more lately, FPSes don't seem like they are worth playing.

malikmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 malikmmm
Member since 2003 • 2235 Posts
should have delayed the game a bit more...
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

GummiRaccoon

Its sad we really haven't had an fps since bc2 that is really worth playing

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

I figured looking at the gameplay and trailer. They would get sales just because of the people waiting for the next Duke Nukem game.

The_Ronin129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Ronin129
Member since 2010 • 191 Posts
also got a 6.25 on the gameinformer mag.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Good to see those 14years were put to good use :roll:
dmb34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 dmb34
Member since 2004 • 1102 Posts
Im passing on this game, maybe 10 yrs ago it would have been a blast
Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

James161324

Guess you never played Singularity :D
Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts
[QUOTE="James161324"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Evz0rz

Guess you never played Singularity :D

Singularity is very dull.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11784 Posts

That is an average of about 6.6 so far from the ones added, including the 80 from another thread. (not bad, but thats not all of them either)

That being said, I find myself actually valuing these Reviews less and less each year, Games released a few years ago were reviewed decently, but it has gone downhill bad.. I find myself liking games with lower reviews, and disliking games with higher scores (more often now, and its all of them, not just GS and IGN).

It has gotten to the point to where if the game scores anywhere between a 63-100 (2008-present), I still am willing to give it a chance if the price is right or the right sale brings the price down enough. (Steam Summer Sale migh get Duke for a little off)

Singularity was a nice little Gem, a good little 1 play through game, I actually enjoyed it alot.. The performance was great. (visuals were dated though) but we have seen newer games with not too much better graphics, with considerably worse performance over the past few years, (some of them even got ridiculously high scores despite that)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Im passing on this game, maybe 10 yrs ago it would have been a blastdmb34
Are people really expecting a first class FPS to compete with HL2 and Crysis? The game is fun... nothing new or spectacular, but fun with Duke and his jokes... Stop being picky people...
deathshand707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deathshand707
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

[QUOTE="dmb34"]Im passing on this game, maybe 10 yrs ago it would have been a blastFelipeInside
Are people really expecting a first class FPS to compete with HL2 and Crysis? The game is fun... nothing new or spectacular, but fun with Duke and his jokes... Stop being picky people...

14 years...just saying.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="dmb34"]Im passing on this game, maybe 10 yrs ago it would have been a blastdeathshand707

14 years...just saying.

Wasn't 14 years in the making.... it went through different engines, modifications and developers. This release is obviously rushed... but people will never be happy: - You add modern day stuff to a game... and they cry "Oh, I wish they would have kept the classical gameplay" - You keep it classical... "wow, this game is dull" Anyone expecting more from Duke was just being naive...
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Seems consistent with what I experienced from the demo. Too bad. :(
drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
[QUOTE="dmb34"]Im passing on this game, maybe 10 yrs ago it would have been a blastFelipeInside

I think part of the problem is the game NOT being fun. It's not being picky when you're practically forced to drastically lower your standards for this one particular game.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="dmb34"]Im passing on this game, maybe 10 yrs ago it would have been a blastdrinkerofjuice

I think part of the problem is the game NOT being fun. It's not being picky when you're practically forced to drastically lower your standards for this one particular game.

Not fun for you I guess.... :(
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
If the demo is anything to go by, that sounds incredibly generous.
rben21232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rben21232
Member since 2007 • 568 Posts

Haha, totally called it after the demo

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Ouch.
TheMadGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 TheMadGamer
Member since 2003 • 8670 Posts

Did people really think this game would be good?

covertgamer78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 covertgamer78
Member since 2005 • 1032 Posts
I thought the demo showed the game had real potential. I beat the demo. They didn't change the game up enough from the old 90's template evidently.
Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts
[QUOTE="deathshand707"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Are people really expecting a first class FPS to compete with HL2 and Crysis? The game is fun... nothing new or spectacular, but fun with Duke and his jokes... Stop being picky people...FelipeInside

14 years...just saying.

Wasn't 14 years in the making.... it went through different engines, modifications and developers. This release is obviously rushed... but people will never be happy: - You add modern day stuff to a game... and they cry "Oh, I wish they would have kept the classical gameplay" - You keep it classical... "wow, this game is dull" Anyone expecting more from Duke was just being naive...

Thank you! Seriously sick of the '14 years' comments. It's like nobody paid any attention at all to the development of this game. And nobody should be expecting a 10/10 game, or a 9/10 game even.
anolecrabcf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 anolecrabcf
Member since 2005 • 658 Posts
That's what happens when you rush games.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Elann2008
That's what happens when you rush games.anolecrabcf
Rush? It had AMPLE development time. Perhaps my sarcasm detector is broken tonight. ;)
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="anolecrabcf"]That's what happens when you rush games.Elann2008
Rush? It had AMPLE development time. Perhaps my sarcasm detector is broken tonight. ;)

This release was rushed.... they picked the game up half finished and quickly try to finish just to get it out the door....you can tell by playing it. The whole "14 years in development" is just a title, it has gone through multiple engine modification and developers... it WASNT in development for 14 years...
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="anolecrabcf"]That's what happens when you rush games.FelipeInside

This release was rushed.... they picked the game up half finished and quickly try to finish just to get it out the door....you can tell by playing it. The whole "14 years in development" is just a title, it has gone through multiple engine modification and developers... it WASNT in development for 14 years...

Derp. I know it wasn't in development for 14 years.. but wouldn't you think with such a "title" that they would take the time to make the game at least good? It might not have been in development for 14 years but I'm sure they had more time than most games. It's stupid that they rushed it. There's no excuse.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] Rush? It had AMPLE development time. Perhaps my sarcasm detector is broken tonight. ;)Elann2008

Derp. I know it wasn't in development for 14 years.. but wouldn't you think with such a "title" that they would take the time to make the game at least good? It might not have been in development for 14 years but I'm sure they had more time than most games.

I totally agree with you... I myself was expecting more. Still is a fun game and it's Duke...
covertgamer78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 covertgamer78
Member since 2005 • 1032 Posts
A lot of actual gamer opinions will probably be higher than the game sites scores on this one. Based on the demo, I will conjecture it isn't an A list game and wouldn't get higher than an 8 from me. If you are making a predominantly SP game these days, it better be one of the best SP games ever to get high ratings. Gamers are sick of rehash.
anolecrabcf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 anolecrabcf
Member since 2005 • 658 Posts
[QUOTE="anolecrabcf"]That's what happens when you rush games.Elann2008

You need to fix that
rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="deathshand707"]

14 years...just saying.

Twisted14

Thank you! Seriously sick of the '14 years' comments. It's like nobody paid any attention at all to the development of this game. And nobody should be expecting a 10/10 game, or a 9/10 game even.

Ok...fair enough...but what if:

Lets say i have no clue about Duke Nukem history...and iam new to fps genre...actually i have played only a bunch of fps's like Crysis,FEAR,HL 2 and DooM 3...After playing Duke Nukem Forever am i being entitled to say that this game is crap???As i said lets say i dont know anything about DNF history and i dont have either high expectations or low expectations,i just want to try this new game...or this game only addresses to DNF fans???

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] This release was rushed.... they picked the game up half finished and quickly try to finish just to get it out the door....you can tell by playing it. The whole "14 years in development" is just a title, it has gone through multiple engine modification and developers... it WASNT in development for 14 years...FelipeInside
Derp. I know it wasn't in development for 14 years.. but wouldn't you think with such a "title" that they would take the time to make the game at least good? It might not have been in development for 14 years but I'm sure they had more time than most games.

I totally agree with you... I myself was expecting more. Still is a fun game and it's Duke...

Yup. I'm going to enjoy it. I thought the demo was fun. :D

Trinexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Trinexxx
Member since 2008 • 883 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

James161324

You should give Brink a shot.
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
cool, this will be 5 euro next week
nightharvest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nightharvest
Member since 2005 • 1782 Posts
I haven't played the demo or purchased the game, but I'm going to give Gearbox respect for getting the product out there. It takes a long time to kick start a dead horse, but at least they are trying. I'm sure it's not the last Duke game we will see from them. Good luck to them. 8)
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

i do hope they try again with a completely new next gen effort.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

lmao

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] Rush? It had AMPLE development time. Perhaps my sarcasm detector is broken tonight. ;)Elann2008

Derp. I know it wasn't in development for 14 years.. but wouldn't you think with such a "title" that they would take the time to make the game at least good? It might not have been in development for 14 years but I'm sure they had more time than most games. It's stupid that they rushed it. There's no excuse.

At least, they finally got rid of the curse which came with the title and they got another 14 years to come up with a good sequence.
Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
I'm getting the idea that some people don't realize what Duke Nukem 3D was all about. It's meant to be goofy, just like the original.. I would expect nothing less from Duke Nukem Forever... First day buy for me btw :)
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Instead of playing with the idea of Duke as an anachronism, Duke returns in classic form, and he's never felt so old, so out of place, and so embarrassing.

So why do people still like and want to see sequels to '80s action movies? Why are their stars still successful? Why did the people of Detroit (the people!) raised money to build a statue of Robocop? Why are the c1assic action movies that Duke imitates rebooted or sequelized?

There's a lot of fondness for the culture Duke revels in. The only thing that's embarrassing about it are the people that claim we moved past that era's simple pleasures.

Also, why exactly is DNF's alien rape more offensive than Nathan Drake murdering thousands of people and cracking goofy everyman jokes while doing it?

(and LOL at the console version's 30 seconds loading time after each death)

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
I don't like how the ign review seemed to complain about duke being an immature misogynistic macho man, when that's exactly what he's supposed to be. I'm hoping that this game ends up being more good than bad. At the moment it's looking like something that might be alright to buy but not until it comes down in price a fair bit. I've been playing through duke 3d and am really enjoying the careless run around shooting things that lots of old fpses used to have. I was hoping dnf would be like that but at the moment it seems to be caught in limbo between that and the modern fps formula. Hopefully if this doesn't work out then at least they have a solid base for making a proper duke game in the near future
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Brink is actually a fun game..Takes team work nothing like cod its why i like it..How ever ill enoy duke for what it is..Im expecting more the next title..Updated graphics same gameplay maybe a new engine..How ever duke is in better hands this time around..Gearbox at least knows what its doing..3do i think had the duke title didnt know how to produce a game..Its a shame what this title went through to getinto the publics hands..Give them a break they did the best they could in a short period of time..Wait and see what the next duke game will be like than yall can comment..This game took so long to come out..That boss battle actually looks like fun the one with the rocket launcher..

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

3/10 on Eurogamer, but it's the 360 version and they admit it plays much better on PC.

They claim (among other stupid things) that all weapons are from Duke 3D and that there's no new weapon, which is false.

Are they reviewing the circumstances around the game or the game itself? I'm fine with people not enjoying it, but not with lying like that. And what's wrong with having the same weapons as a 15 years old game anyway? You can't find them anywhere else, that's for sure.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Gearbox knew that the game would not be a major seller (they probably even knew it would suck). But they did not have to invest too much to finish the game that 3D Realms started. They knew that just selling this to nostalgic Duke diehards would still be profitable for them. You've heard of house flipping. Well this was game flipping. Put a little money into something old or used that has a market, and make more money.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Based on my play time with the PC demo I fully agree with these low scores. It's not the crudeness of the game either (which I like), it's the way it actually plays. Guns feel weak, levels are more restricted, two gun limit, health regen, and many other things just kill the game. The graphics aren't that good, which I did expect, but I didn't expect it to be so unpolished. I thought it was just a mess and while I didn't pre-order, I was planning to pick the game up. Not anymore...
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I enjoyed it. It's not perfect and therehave been bad decisions made in development (only being able to carry 2 guns...wtf)I found it to be a fun game, which is all i really want from anygame,and the first play throughtook more than the 4 1/2hours it took to finish Black ops on hard.

If i was scoring i'd give it 67-70% but there havn't been many FPS games over the last few years i'd score over 80%

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Very indifferent about the Duke, I've never played any Duke Nukem games (they were before my time). However, I must say, the writing in the review was absolutely awful. Coming from an unbiased source that doesn't care about the Duke, but I find it hard to take a review seriously when the writing is that bad. Am I the only one that thinks that review was bad?

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts
Same could be said for most FPS games out there xD Am I supposed to play cod that feels like a dull movie? I can see DNF is 90% scripted scenes but it certainly lives up to the Duke name. 7.5 / 8/10 imo.