Duke Nukem - 5.5 on IGN

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

However, I must say, the writing in the review was absolutely awful. Coming from an unbiased source that doesn't care about the Duke, but I find it hard to take a review seriously when the writing is that bad. Am I the only one that thinks that review was bad?

Grodus5

I thought the IGN review was very well written and very articulate. All the criticisms were justified in detail rather than sounding like just a rant. The first paragraph alone articulates the biggest flaw in the best way more than any other review I have seen so far regarding the game's blatant hypocrisy.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

[QUOTE="Grodus5"]

However, I must say, the writing in the review was absolutely awful. Coming from an unbiased source that doesn't care about the Duke, but I find it hard to take a review seriously when the writing is that bad. Am I the only one that thinks that review was bad?

Qixote

I thought the IGN review was very well written and very articulate. All the criticisms were justified in detail rather than sounding like just a rant. The first paragraph alone articulates the biggest flaw in the best way more than any other review I have seen so far regarding the game's blatant hypocrisy.

Haha, that first paragraph is golden.
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

[QUOTE="Grodus5"]

Qixote

Okay, you have me there, I loved the first paragraph. You did make good points about the articulation of points and such, my main problem was with the organization. Maybe I'm just going a little loony (which is always a very big possibility), but I thought the review was a little confused about when it wanted to say things. You are right about articulation, though :)
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 SkyWard20

Instead of playing with the idea of Duke as an anachronism, Duke returns in classic form, and he's never felt so old, so out of place, and so embarrassing.

So why do people still like and want to see sequels to '80s action movies? Why are their stars still successful? Why did the people of Detroit (the people!) raised money to build a statue of Robocop? Why are the c1assic action movies that Duke imitates rebooted or sequelized?

Baranga

So people can get their childhood memories ruined and fill the wallets of a couple of hacky film directors who are trying to squeeze the last buck out of a dying film series? Well, good news, all those action heroes that are getting milked by their producers get panned by critics too... usually, and if there's any justice in the world.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

They wouldn't do it if there's no audience.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 SkyWard20

They wouldn't do it if there's no audience.

Baranga
Of course. That's why they're rebooting classics.
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Saw all the gimmicky sex appeal and drugs and stupid humor and knew it would suck. Fail. Dont think many people still cared anyway.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#58 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

Saw all the gimmicky sex appeal and drugs and stupid humor and knew it would suck. Fail. Dont think many people still cared anyway. Gamesterpheonix

A lot of people still bought it.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Everything seems to point to it being a bad game based on its own merits. There's Bulletstorm and Serious Sam at least.
jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#60 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
Isn't it exactly what someone who has played the duke games would want. General action, random one liners, over the top boss fights, run and gun, with some odd puzzle mechanics? Or is it people now want the new 2011 fps games to have fused in on a game like this... Personally, game didn't look good to me but at the same time, why are folks going wooo over IGN? They are just as lol as any other reviewer these days.. How about someone discuss that Pc gamer gave it a 8/10? See, it works both ways.
Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts

Isn't it exactly what someone who has played the duke games would want. General action, random one liners, over the top boss fights, run and gun, with some odd puzzle mechanics? Or is it people now want the new 2011 fps games to have fused in on a game like this... Personally, game didn't look good to me but at the same time, why are folks going wooo over IGN? They are just as lol as any other reviewer these days.. How about someone discuss that Pc gamer gave it a 8/10? See, it works both ways. jedikevin2

PC Gamer gave it an 8/10 because they are receiving a financial incentive for doing so.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

[QUOTE="jedikevin2"]Isn't it exactly what someone who has played the duke games would want. General action, random one liners, over the top boss fights, run and gun, with some odd puzzle mechanics? Or is it people now want the new 2011 fps games to have fused in on a game like this... Personally, game didn't look good to me but at the same time, why are folks going wooo over IGN? They are just as lol as any other reviewer these days.. How about someone discuss that Pc gamer gave it a 8/10? See, it works both ways. Remmib

PC Gamer gave it an 8/10 because they are receiving a financial incentive for doing so.

While I do not disagree... It must be pointed out that nearly 90% of big budget or highly hyped titles do the same (in some form to a degree)... Including the obvious examples here at GS.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts

[QUOTE="jedikevin2"]Isn't it exactly what someone who has played the duke games would want. General action, random one liners, over the top boss fights, run and gun, with some odd puzzle mechanics? Or is it people now want the new 2011 fps games to have fused in on a game like this... Personally, game didn't look good to me but at the same time, why are folks going wooo over IGN? They are just as lol as any other reviewer these days.. How about someone discuss that Pc gamer gave it a 8/10? See, it works both ways. Remmib

So much for your credibility.
Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Remmib

[QUOTE="Remmib"]

[QUOTE="jedikevin2"]Isn't it exactly what someone who has played the duke games would want. General action, random one liners, over the top boss fights, run and gun, with some odd puzzle mechanics? Or is it people now want the new 2011 fps games to have fused in on a game like this... Personally, game didn't look good to me but at the same time, why are folks going wooo over IGN? They are just as lol as any other reviewer these days.. How about someone discuss that Pc gamer gave it a 8/10? See, it works both ways. MythPro1

Oh what, you want a source that doesn't exist? Do you think that reviewers would ever allow the fact that they receive financial incentives for inflating review scores to leak?

Anyone with a functioning cerebellum can see that this is obvious.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts

[QUOTE="MythPro1"][QUOTE="Remmib"]

Remmib

Oh what, you want a source that doesn't exist? Do you think that reviewers would ever allow the fact that they receive financial incentives for inflating review scores to leak?

Uh oh! I can't prove your opinion wrong because no proof exists! An unprovable opinion! This happened for other games, so it must be true! The Duke paid money and that's why it received a glowing review!

Not saying it doesn't happen, but you have no idea if that's the case here. I'm not even sure if you've played it, and you're simply regurgitating what you've been reading.

Proof is everything. If you have none, then you know how it goes ;).

You can't shout objectivity from the rooftops, and then five minutes later make baseless assumptions.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#66 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

Remmib

Just about all sites and reviewers get incentives etc on some games (not all)... Its the nature we live in. Its always why I lol at people defining a game base on any score. Anyone remember the black ops (maybe it was mw2) incentive fest where reviewers were choppered to a special resort to test play the game in special rooms with all the goodies they could have? We live in a weird era now where gamers look so closely at a specific score, or group of scores to define what exactly they should get. No more researching on a game that may show some interest to them that now its all about trying to get those scores in the sweet spots. Maybe i'm just getting too oldschool with how i decide if I will want a game (and no.. I do not want DNF.. speaking globally)

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#67 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

I don't like how the ign review seemed to complain about duke being an immature misogynistic macho man, when that's exactly what he's supposed to be. EJ902

This is something I see in all reviews. I know exactly what's happening with this game: People just don't get it.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 SkyWard20

[QUOTE="EJ902"]I don't like how the ign review seemed to complain about duke being an immature misogynistic macho man, when that's exactly what he's supposed to be. THA-TODD-BEAST

This is something I see in all reviews. I know exactly what's happening with this game: People just don't get it.

I sincerely doubt that. "And it's here that the game plays its solitary trump card. It's Duke Nukem, silly. He's supposed to be cheesy and dumb and shallow. Stop thinking about it. It's justabirrovfun. Except it isn't. It's not fun at all. It's depressing. Duke's long-awaited comeback has turned him from genre innovator to wheezing has-been. In the time since his last outing, the likes of Halo, Battlefield, Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto have all gone from nothing to world-conquering, genre-defining juggernauts. Even within his own narrow niche, Bulletstorm and Gearbox's own Borderlands have taken Duke's irreverent shooter crown and made it their own, and it seems that after a decade and a half on the shelf, the self-proclaimed king no longer has the muscle to claim it back. Duke Nukem Forever attempts to turn back the clock, but can't even get that right."
THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#69 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

[QUOTE="THA-TODD-BEAST"]

[QUOTE="EJ902"]I don't like how the ign review seemed to complain about duke being an immature misogynistic macho man, when that's exactly what he's supposed to be. SkyWard20

I sincerely doubt that.

I don't.

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#70 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] Rush? It had AMPLE development time. Perhaps my sarcasm detector is broken tonight. ;)Elann2008

This release was rushed.... they picked the game up half finished and quickly try to finish just to get it out the door....you can tell by playing it. The whole "14 years in development" is just a title, it has gone through multiple engine modification and developers... it WASNT in development for 14 years...

Derp. I know it wasn't in development for 14 years.. but wouldn't you think with such a "title" that they would take the time to make the game at least good? It might not have been in development for 14 years but I'm sure they had more time than most games. It's stupid that they rushed it. There's no excuse.

Wut? :?

Skeptomania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71 Skeptomania
Member since 2004 • 8104 Posts

It was quite predictable that DNF was not going to be a particularly good game. The devs knew they'd make money off the name and attention the game had drawn for such a long development cycle. They didn't need to make a special game in order to draw a lot of attention and get some suckers to pre-order it.

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

It was quite predictable that DNF was not going to be a particularly good game. The devs knew they'd make money off the name and attention the game had drawn for such a long development cycle. They didn't need to make a special game in order to draw a lot of attention and get some suckers to pre-order it.

Skeptomania
I'm rather surprised it even sold in the first place. I imagined that the crowd interested in DNF grew up. :P
Travis281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Travis281
Member since 2004 • 2546 Posts

That's the point, the nostalgia was to be the main selling point.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
You guys just need to stop over-analyzing the game... and go out and buy it with some "BALLS OF STEEL !!!" (sorry, just had to.... giggle giggle)
Darksonic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#75 Darksonic666
Member since 2009 • 3482 Posts

Looks kind of fun to me not amazing but looks like a good time.

clixshper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 clixshper
Member since 2005 • 545 Posts

You have to really bring something new to the table when it comes to FPS now, heck, even with RTS games, RPG and so on. If its just mainly a generic type game of the genre other than the name being big then you wont pull in the gamers of this generation. People are more harsh nowadays with their games and more provide more feedback. Otherwise, its good to see Duke back, but nothing big, done and dusted.

Swatseal32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Swatseal32
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Remmib

Hate to be "that" guy, but the cerebellum controls fine motor movement. Your cerebrum on the other hand controls cognitive thought.
Skeptomania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Skeptomania
Member since 2004 • 8104 Posts

This game screams "wait a couple of months". The price will drop quick and you might be able to get it for as little as $20 on sale soon.

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Remmib

Hate to be "that" guy, but the cerebellum controls fine motor movement. Your cerebrum on the other hand controls cognitive thought.Swatseal32

Thanks for the correction, I got the two confused...been a while since bio.

MegaMatt91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 MegaMatt91
Member since 2011 • 462 Posts
Did anyone seriously expect a good score?
Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts
Did anyone seriously expect a good score?MegaMatt91
So far PC reviews of the game have been decent (unless you buy into Remmib's new world conspiracy theory of them being bought off). What I didn't expect was to find us discussing a review of the Xbox 360 version in the PC section of this forum ....... hm it's the Gamespot forum maybe I should've expected that.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Why would they bother making a great and compelling game when the name Duke Nukem would sell well no matter what?
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#83 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
PC gamer gave Duke Nukem 80/100, maybe the PC version is better then the console.
IU_Stizzal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 IU_Stizzal
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

Did anyone seriously expect a good score?MegaMatt91

I wasn't expecting a editor's choice score, but I thought it would do better. I read the IGN review and watched some gameplay footage, and I can see why it is getting such a low score. I'll put this off till it gets a major price cut.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Who didn't see this coming though?

bloodreaperfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 bloodreaperfx
Member since 2006 • 415 Posts

The reviewers are just pissed because they ran out of bubble gum.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#87 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

I was sure it would get at least a 6.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Lach0121

MetaCritic gave it a 62/100. So it looks to be Averaging around 6/10.

bblundell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 bblundell
Member since 2006 • 1086 Posts
After playing part of the game, it's what I was expecting......I didn't expect a over-the-top hollywood experience. Just some mature duke Nukem.
MegaMatt91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 MegaMatt91
Member since 2011 • 462 Posts
Game should have just been let to die, all it did was create jokes with its long release delays.
nocturial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 nocturial
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts

like few people before me said "people will cry no matter what" and personaly, i don't buy "it has been 14 years in the making" BS either... noone is taking under consideration the fact that 3 studios were acctually making this game and the 4th one finished it... and from what i've seen in the EXTRAS menu after finishing the game, i'm guessing that DNF was designed back in the late 90's and the animations/renders etc. are the same since 2008-2009... after all 3D Realms claimed that they had over 80% of the game done back in 2009 before the close down. All Gearbox did was polishing what was already done and add a few things. IMO it's good that DNF was finaly released and i'm looking forward to see more DN games, but this time fully designed and coded by Gearbox Software from start to finish. I had fun with this game, and it was exactly what i was expecting from DN. But again "people will cry no matter what"...

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Lach0121

This just means I will catch it on sale now. Didn't get good reviews from anyone except pc gamer.

. GS gave it a 3.5 the same as Legendary the Box. (Come on I know it isn't as bad as Legendary the Box)

I do have to say, its not because I disagree with the Reviewers here on Gamespot. Its seeming more and more that they really do not know how to review a game anymore. Mods do what you will, But you must not deny truth!

They copy paste Fantastic scores for games that DO NOT DESERVE THEM (and not just my opinion) But you have another game, that Suffers from the same problems, gets a horrible score.

GS your reviews much like everyones else, are very inconsistent... You try and be as lenient as possible with some, and as aggresive as possible with others. How is that Corporate Teat?

twistedface12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 twistedface12
Member since 2011 • 227 Posts

they should remake the game or something.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

This just means I will catch it on sale now. Didn't get good reviews from anyone except pc gamer.

. GS gave it a 3.5 the same as Legendary the Box. (Come on I know it isn't as bad as Legendary the Box)

I do have to say, its not because I disagree with the Reviewers here on Gamespot. Its seeming more and more that they really do not know how to review a game anymore. Mods do what you will, But you must not deny truth!

They copy paste Fantastic scores for games that DO NOT DESERVE THEM (and not just my opinion) But you have another game, that Suffers from the same problems, gets a horrible score.

GS your reviews much like everyones else, are very inconsistent... You try and be as lenient as possible with some, and as aggresive as possible with others. How is that Corporate Teat?

Lach0121
I've learned to never trust critic reviews. I have never based a buying decision on a critic review. It's the user reviews that pull through for me when it comes to games that get butchered on the rating. So far, I've had the privilege to play some hidden gems because of some recommendations by friends and users.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#95 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I am calling this a love/hate game.