Benchmark Thread V. 3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#351 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@insane_metalist: Post no.26

Oh I see it now, thanks for updating the score :p

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#352 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127525 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Hey guys.

I've added the "Extreme" bench for all you super rich, trendy people.

Why not hijack posts higher up for it?

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#353  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@horgen: I tried no.2 but for some reason it wont let me undelete it. I'll swap it to no.7

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354 horgen  Moderator

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@horgen: I tried no.2 but for some reason it wont let me undelete it. I'll swap it to no.7

The message that was buggy when I made this thread. First posted the FireStrike, and it wouldn't show. Made post 3 and then suddenly post 2 shows up later on. So I just deleted it. I can't undelete it either. :(

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#355 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115434 Posts

@insane_metalist : You've got better OCing knowledge than me. So I want to post something that maybe you might know more about dunno. Seems weird to me and I'm still learning things.

With K Boost on
I can get to 1260, which is +95 on the core clock and the boost shows 1449mhz. (Confirmed by both precision and gpu-z)

If i try to reach that same 1449mhz with K Boost off, its +132 on the core clock and that puts the core clock at 1290. Here's where I run into the problem. It crashes.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356  Edited By insane_metalist

@kitty said:

@insane_metalist : You've got better OCing knowledge than me. So I want to post something that maybe you might know more about dunno. Seems weird to me and I'm still learning things.

With K Boost on

I can get to 1260, which is +95 on the core clock and the boost shows 1449mhz. (Confirmed by both precision and gpu-z)

If i try to reach that same 1449mhz with K Boost off, its +132 on the core clock and that puts the core clock at 1290. Here's where I run into the problem. It crashes.

Just leave boost on. I've always left my boost on with Nvidia cards. You might need a different BIOS to OC without boost.

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts

@horgen said:

Updating it later tonight SPBoss.

What is the voltage and temps when running 2500K at 4.8 for you?

Voltage is @1.38v, temps idle at 20c and max out at 61c. I'm using a corsair h100 kit. Room temps are around 25c.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358 horgen  Moderator

@SPBoss said:

@horgen said:

Voltage is @1.38v, temps idle at 20c and max out at 61c. I'm using a corsair h100 kit. Room temps are around 25c.

Wow, high voltage. That cooler is one hell of a job.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Hey guys.

I've added the "Extreme" bench for all you super rich, trendy people.

Well I am neither super rich nor trendy, but no one is denying me to run this bench.

3611 - Horgen - http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6546681 - 3570K(4.5) - GTX 680(1254/3348) - 1600 RAM.

I will do better next time.

Now with slightly better score.

3766 - Horgen - http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6546821 - 3570K(4.5) - GTX 680(1306/3456) - 1600 RAM

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360 SPBoss

@horgen said:

@SPBoss said:

@horgen said:

Wow, high voltage. That cooler is one hell of a job.

It's a great cooler, I need to reapply thermal paste though it's been a while. Initially my temps wouldn't even go above 55c. It's great considering the ambient temperature of my room :)

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361 horgen  Moderator

@SPBoss said:

It's a great cooler, I need to reapply thermal paste though it's been a while. Initially my temps wouldn't even go above 55c. It's great considering the ambient temperature of my room :)

Which revision of the H100? The first one? I got the first one, and it did a good job, but not that good. Or the simple fact that Ivy runs a bit hotter than Sandy is the cause for mine having higher temperatures... I've benched my 3570K at 4.7. Wish I remembered the settings. Now I can't be bothered to find them again by testing.

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362 SPBoss

@horgen said:

@SPBoss said:

Which revision of the H100? The first one? I got the first one, and it did a good job, but not that good. Or the simple fact that Ivy runs a bit hotter than Sandy is the cause for mine having higher temperatures... I've benched my 3570K at 4.7. Wish I remembered the settings. Now I can't be bothered to find them again by testing.

How do I check what revision it is? I would have thought Ivy runs cooler than Sandy because their stock voltages are lower, they draw less power and they are a 22nm die instead of a 32nm one.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363 kitty  Moderator

@insane_metalist said:

Just leave boost on. I've always left my boost on with Nvidia cards. You might need a different BIOS to OC without boost.

Okay just wondering. I was hoping that I could get higher :P thought I might have been doing something wrong. I was expecting a bit more from my core clock.
I mean I can get +600 from my memory, I wonder why I can't get more out of the core.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364 horgen  Moderator

@SPBoss said:

@horgen said:

@SPBoss said:

How do I check what revision it is? I would have thought Ivy runs cooler than Sandy because their stock voltages are lower, they draw less power and they are a 22nm die instead of a 32nm one.

Bad job from Intel. They increased the max temperature for the CPU by 5 degrees or so compared to Sandy Bridge. I can delidd it to get lower temperatures, but I don't want to spend money on CPU again now if something goes wrong. Saving my money for a potential SLI/Crossfire setup.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365 insane_metalist

@kitty said:

@insane_metalist said:

Okay just wondering. I was hoping that I could get higher :P thought I might have been doing something wrong. I was expecting a bit more from my core clock.

I mean I can get +600 from my memory, I wonder why I can't get more out of the core.

Tons of people use a custom made BIOS for a GTX 780 / 780 Ti from a guy on OCN forums. They were getting pretty high clocks on their cards. He probably made one for a 970. If you're cool with flashing your card, you could do it.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 horgen  Moderator

@insane_metalist said:

@kitty said:

@insane_metalist said:

Tons of people use a custom made BIOS for a GTX 780 / 780 Ti from a guy on OCN forums. They were getting pretty high clocks on their cards. He probably made one for a 970. If you're cool with flashing your card, you could do it.

I'm thinking about using a custom bios on my card... When I have come to the point that I don't care if I brick it or not...

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368 SPBoss

@horgen said:

@SPBoss said:

@horgen said:

@SPBoss said:

Bad job from Intel. They increased the max temperature for the CPU by 5 degrees or so compared to Sandy Bridge. I can delidd it to get lower temperatures, but I don't want to spend money on CPU again now if something goes wrong. Saving my money for a potential SLI/Crossfire setup.

Me too bud I'm considering another 680 but I don't know if my Corsair TX650W PSU would handle two cards. That and also the fact that microstutter still worries me. I haven't had SLI since 8800gt's though so things might have changed by now.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369 kitty  Moderator

@SPBoss said:

@horgen said:

@SPBoss said:

@horgen said:

@SPBoss said:

Me too bud I'm considering another 680 but I don't know if my Corsair TX650W PSU would handle two cards. That and also the fact that microstutter still worries me. I haven't had SLI since 8800gt's though so things might have changed by now.

Probably not. I'd recommend a psu with more watts. I've got a overkill one atm for a single card, so I definitely need to get another card in the future.
i was running a pair of 7870's so I have a 750watt psu, now just a single a 970.

As for stutter. I didn't notice that much with crossfire. Only problems I ever had was actually on skyrim, it didn't like the enb I used. I'm betting Sli is the same. It should have improved by now to where it's not much of a issue in games.

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370 SPBoss

@kitty said:

@SPBoss said:

@horgen said:

@SPBoss said:

@horgen said:

@SPBoss said:

Probably not. I'd recommend a psu with more watts. I've got a overkill one atm for a single card, so I definitely need to get another card in the future.

i was running a pair of 7870's so I have a 750watt psu, now just a single a 970.

As for stutter. I didn't notice that much with crossfire. Only problems I ever had was actually on skyrim, it didn't like the enb I used. I'm betting Sli is the same. It should have improved by now to where it's not much of a issue in games.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait a while and see if its cheaper to either sli my 680 and buy a new PSU or buy the upcoming 980ti and sell the 680.

Off-topic but your post count is ridiculous! lol :)

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371 insane_metalist

@horgen said:

@insane_metalist said:

@kitty said:

@insane_metalist said:

I'm thinking about using a custom bios on my card... When I have come to the point that I don't care if I brick it or not...

I'd do it if my cards were outdated but by that time I'll have something new.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372 horgen  Moderator

@insane_metalist said:

I'd do it if my cards were outdated but by that time I'll have something new.

I want something new... But at the same time I sorta stuck with older games that this card can max or play on high settings and still get 60fps most of the time... Even at 3440/2560 * 1440. Once I'm finished with DS2: SotFS, Saints Row: Gat out of Hell and Alice: Madness Returns, I'm pretty much out of games I know this GPU can run at max or close to max at those resolutions. Plus I want GTA V, which I am sure require more power than I got atm.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373 deactivated-579f651eab962

@horgen: Do it. I had custom Bios on my 680's which I made myself (sorta) and I use Skyn3t's on my 780's, much better power usage.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374 horgen  Moderator

@SPBoss said:

@horgen said:

@SPBoss said:

I'm not sure.. But if it is H100 and not H100i, you got the first model at least.

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@horgen: Do it. I had custom Bios on my 680's which I made myself (sorta) and I use Skyn3t's on my 780's, much better power usage.

How much did you gain from doing so?

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375 SPBoss

@horgen said:

@SPBoss said:

@horgen said:

@SPBoss said:

I'm not sure.. But if it is H100 and not H100i, you got the first model at least.

@klunt_bumskrint said:

How much did you gain from doing so?

Oh yeah it's the H100, from memory I got it within a few months of its release date so I think I may have the first revision.

Btw, does anyone know where I can buy drive bay covers (in mesh preferably)? I lost some from my case so it is currently exposed and I can't seem to find them on any UK websites.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376 deactivated-579f651eab962

@horgen: Cards are much more stable at higher MHz and go higher too. Can't tell you how many extra MHz I got as I flashed them on day 1.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377 horgen  Moderator

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@horgen: Cards are much more stable at higher MHz and go higher too. Can't tell you how many extra MHz I got as I flashed them on day 1.

Damn. Well I have to look it up. If it gives me enough boost (mind you mine only got 2*6pins power), I can maybe wait for Pascal cards to arrive... With 16nm process hopefully.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378 insane_metalist

@horgen said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Damn. Well I have to look it up. If it gives me enough boost (mind you mine only got 2*6pins power), I can maybe wait for Pascal cards to arrive... With 16nm process hopefully.

That's the custom BIOS I was talking about "Skyn3t". Tons of people use it on their 780 & 780 Ti and they're getting outrageous overclocks.
Too bad I never tried while I had my 780 Ti's.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379 horgen  Moderator

@insane_metalist said:

@horgen said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

That's the custom BIOS I was talking about "Skyn3t". Tons of people use it on their 780 & 780 Ti and they're getting outrageous overclocks.

Too bad I never tried while I had my 780 Ti's.

I could do with some help. I am trying to use GPU-Z to save a copy of my bios, however I get the error that bios reading is not supported. Thus I can not make a backup copy of it :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962

@horgen: Just tried mine and it's fine. What version of gpu-z you on?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@horgen: Just tried mine and it's fine. What version of gpu-z you on?

I used 0.7.7.. Updated and it worked.

And it has been done. Still I hope I get no problems since I got 2 6pins contacts and not 8+6 pins.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382  Edited By horgen  Moderator

I've done some testing now with the new bios. New OC record for me on the core. 1346MHz... Memory ran at 6.9GHz. I can run the memory slightly faster, perhaps another 50MHz, on stock bios. The core I've never pushed above 1320MHz and have it stable.

So I got my score up to 7573 points.

7573 - Horgen - http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6609824 - 3570K(4.5) - GTX 680(1320/3448) - 1600 RAM.

My position on the list doesn't improve though. Need another 320 points to beat @The_Animator420. Who beats me because he got a 3770K running at 4.7. (Or 5.0 if you check the link). He has 680 clocked lower than mine... Stopping at 1290 on the core, though slightly higher on the VRAM, running it at 7.050 or so effective.

The new bios has new stock clocks for me. 1254 or so as stock. Put in +95 on the core, 135 as power limit. So hopefully I still have ways to go before I stop.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383 deactivated-579f651eab962

@horgen: That's an amazing core clock! Congrats. Highest I ever got my 680's was 1293

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384 horgen  Moderator

@klunt_bumskrint: I hope to break the 1400 barrier.

Now the power saving is thrown out the window though. It runs at full speed in DkS 2: SoFtS. 1254 on the core is 254-400 more than needed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385 deactivated-579f651eab962

@horgen: if you get 1400 it's pure gold.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386 horgen  Moderator

@klunt_bumskrint: One can hope, right?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387 horgen  Moderator

Sadly 1400 on the core is out of reach. During a failed test it went up to 1385. Putting in +130 instead of +135 in MSI Afterburner gives me 1372 as highest boost. And it was stable at that. I didn't give it more than +450 on the memory. I have had it higher before.

Anyhow my new score is 7709.

7709 - Horgen - http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6618519 - 3570K(4.5) - GTX 680(1372/3456) - 1600 RAM.

So a reference PCB designed GTX 680, which originally had MSI Twin Frozr III (Or IV) cooler on it and a factory OC of 1058/1124(core/turbo) instead of the normal 1008/1058, I've managed to push up 1372, 248 above stated turbo clock from MSI, 314 above what nVidia originally gave it as boost clock. That I am quite happy with :D

All this because of a modified bios and watercooling. :P

Perhaps the next thing I should do is get peltier elements to cool liquid with instead of a radiator.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389 deactivated-579f651eab962

@horgen: I totally forgot you're under water. That'll help.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390 horgen  Moderator

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@horgen: I totally forgot you're under water. That'll help.

Yeah. Max temp was 37C, although if I push it for 40min or so at max power draw, it will go up to 44... Well higher now with the increased limit, but still under 50C I believe.

4Sir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#391  Edited By 4Sir
Member since 2013 • 50 Posts

http://valid.x86.fr/2namls

Hello I need some answer from you guys. Hope I'm in the right place. As you can see my PC specs from the link above and pics on the left. Should I upgrade my CPU to at least i5 or i7? Also is it wise to buy this ram?

http://www.newegg.com/global/sg/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239603&cm_re=ram_ddr3-_-20-239-603-_-Product

That's all thanks...

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392  Edited By insane_metalist

@4Sir said:

http://valid.x86.fr/2namls

Hello I need some answer from you guys. Hope I'm in the right place. As you can see my PC specs from the link above and pics on the left. Should I upgrade my CPU to at least i5 or i7? Also is it wise to buy this ram?

http://www.newegg.com/global/sg/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239603&cm_re=ram_ddr3-_-20-239-603-_-Product

That's all thanks...

An i5 or i7 would be beyond an upgrade for you but your GPU would bottleneck i5 or i7.
G.Skill has the best price/performance ratio on RAM. If you're gonna be playing games then you'd need at least 8GB (2X4GB).
RAM: something along these - G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory | G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393  Edited By kitty  Moderator

@insane_metalist Figured out why I can't do certain things without Kboost. I hit a voltage limit. I believe.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6783369?

That was run with +50 core / +200 on mem without Kboost. Kind of a random test to see if she would go, as I had no luck previously. I'm gonna say that I tried too much.

The voltage hit 1175mv, which should be 1.175 right? Thats the max it would reach without Kboost. With Kboost on, it reaches 1212mv or 1.212.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394 kitty  Moderator

okay skipping the demo intro on firestrike allows me to get passed where I was stuck at when OC'ing but causes the time error....

13K in graphics

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6783511?

Higher OC as well.
+120 on the core (as opposed to being stuck at +95)
+550 on mem (same memory clock)

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395 horgen  Moderator

I think I could go higher on my card if I could give it more power... Wonder if I can easily solder on an 8 contact on it.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396 kitty  Moderator

@horgen said:

I think I could go higher on my card if I could give it more power... Wonder if I can easily solder on an 8 contact on it.

I hope you can :o I wanna see what your 680 can do :P
I think I just got a bad chip. I do plan to grab another, so maybe the next 970 will be better.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397 horgen  Moderator

@kitty said:

@horgen said:

I think I just got a bad chip. I do plan to grab another, so maybe the next 970 will be better.

Easier said than done. And besides I have no idea if it will brick my card, so it's not happening this summer. Honestly though I have the option of adding a potential 150W to it's possible power draw.. 375, up from 225 as it has now.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398 insane_metalist

@kitty: Still, you should be able to push it further. I wouldn't leave it on with that voltage 24/7.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399  Edited By kitty  Moderator

@horgen said:
@kitty said:
@horgen said:

Easier said than done. And besides I have no idea if it will brick my card, so it's not happening this summer. Honestly though I have the option of adding a potential 150W to it's possible power draw.. 375, up from 225 as it has now.

Trying to make a record with that card? :P

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400 kitty  Moderator
@insane_metalist said:

@kitty: Still, you should be able to push it further. I wouldn't leave it on with that voltage 24/7.

I know, might have a dud. I could try selling this and getting another.
Also I don't, I only do that for when I'm testing. When isn't very long usually.