Zoe Quinn article on Cracked.com

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrFreehuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 MrFreehuggs
Member since 2010 • 1260 Posts

If you don't visit cracked.com, you should. It's filled with great articles and comedy. They just posted an article by Zoe Quinn called "5 Things I Learned as the Internet's Most Hated Person". It's an interesting read, check it out

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-i-learned-as-internets-most-hated-person/

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Love cracked but refuse to read that article. Not going to give Zoe any views on her shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Can't stand Cracked, one of the worst big sites on the internet. Cool that Quinn is getting exposure, I guess.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

who the **** is zoe quinn?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

I find it odd that people can say with a straight face that the hate towards her isn't mostly based on misogyny.

This is a story that shouldn't even be a story.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

who the **** is zoe quinn?

and why should we care?

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

So the huge issue going on is about gaming journalism showing bias and then they get Zoe Quinn to write an article on the current situation going on.. yup that article won't be bias at all. Seems she has to try to stay in the headlines and keep her name in the spotlight. Lets get back to playing games and let her fade back under the rock she came out from. It's perfect for cracked as they will probably get a bunch of hits from it. Seems like a win win situation for them. As for the rest of us, I guess we get to have more non gaming related news posted, not that anything very interesting has been posted lately anyway. Gamespot and IGN have been copying the same articles as each other and the most interesting thing is Doom coming out with modern graphics, that an 20 articles on Destiny.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

I don't read articles written by sub human neanderthals.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

I love how some groups of people are like "she is only doing this for more attention at this point, we should just ignore here and get back to video games"...then immediately proceed to continue harassing her.

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

lol cracked and zoe quinn

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Who did she have to blow to get this article.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LostProphetFLCL

@toast_burner said:

I find it odd that people can say with a straight face that the hate towards her isn't mostly based on misogyny.

I find it odd that there are people on a gaming site who STILL don't realize why so many people hate her.

Hint: It goes far beyond her being a slut. That is just the tiny tip of the massive iceberg that is "fucked up shit Zoe Quinn has done".

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I hate cracked.com. Once i start browsing there list I can't seem to get out.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Oh, this stupid pro victim again. She deserves all the hate she gets, not so much of the death threats but the criticism, yes.

MrFreehuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrFreehuggs

I honestly haven't seen any straight answers as to why I should hate Zoe Quinn. I've read that she's a whore/slut/cu and that she slept with her journalist boyfriend and broke up with him (which started this).

I had never heard of her before this. I'm finding it difficult to side with the guys posting her nudes, posting her friends' social security numbers and credit card numbers and threatening to rape and murder her. You know, things logical people don't do. This stuff makes me embarrassed to be a gamer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@toast_burner said:

I find it odd that there are people on a gaming site who STILL don't realize why so many people hate her.

Hint: It goes far beyond her being a slut. That is just the tiny tip of the massive iceberg that is "fucked up shit Zoe Quinn has done".

And why don't you share what that reason is?

Please don't say journalist integrity. That would only make sense if she was a journalist.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@MrFreehuggs said:

I honestly haven't seen any straight answers as to why I should hate Zoe Quinn. I've read that she's a whore/slut/cu and that she slept with her journalist boyfriend and broke up with him (which started this).

I had never heard of her before this. I'm finding it difficult to side with the guys posting her nudes, posting her friends' social security numbers and credit card numbers and threatening to rape and murder her. You know, things logical people don't do. This stuff makes me embarrassed to be a gamer.

You might want to look for a better source about what's really transpired than just Cracked. This is a heavily biased article.

MrFreehuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrFreehuggs

@ReadingRainbow4: you just proved my point. No straight answers, just "read more" . I'm starting to think that this is a conspiracy to get more web hits

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@MrFreehuggs said:

This is where I'm at also. I don't see how you could ever think any of those things are justified, also she mentioned they were actually calling her dad to tell him how she is such a slut.

These sorts of things are seriously fucked up.

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts

That was a pretty poor list of things, they're supposed to be five separate pieces of information but that was just a single run-on article spaced with five headers that had nothing to do with the text attached to them. Still, good on her for coming out and writing it all in light of what's happened, that's a very bold thing to do. I still don't think she's a nice person but everyone has the right to say their side of the story, and nobody deserves to be abused.

I see Cracked itself is still garbage, however.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@MrFreehuggs said:

@ReadingRainbow4: you just proved my point. No straight answers, just "read more" . I'm starting to think that this is a conspiracy to get more web hits

What do you think all these terrible articles are for.

You need to get educated on the issues before contesting them. This isn't about Zoey anymore, there's a much larger problem at foot.

MrFreehuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrFreehuggs

@ReadingRainbow4: so what you are saying is that you will be banned/suspended by GameSpot for posting a brief summary to catch us up? I need to know who's part of the gaming illuminati

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LostProphetFLCL

@toast_burner said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@toast_burner said:

Please don't say journalist integrity. That would only make sense if she was a journalist.

Since you apparently have no idea about the situation at hand I will link you this video that goes over the timeline of events.

Some bullet points:

-She faked a doxx on her profile trying to make some site called wizardchan look bad claiming they had doxxed her.

-She got a gaming charity event where a group was going to pick the best idea for a game submitted by female gamers and make it into a game and pay them for it. She kept claiming it was sexist and eventually got it shut down.

-When the controversy first broke she was getting youtube vids discussing the situation pulled down under false copyright claims.

-On a similar note, she had her buddies throughout the industry attempting to do a mass silence on the subject, deleting numerous threads and thousands of posts on the subject from forums.

-I don't think that particular video goes into it, but there has been some stories circulating of her being an absolute bitch at some gaming events and harassing people.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@MrFreehuggs said:

@ReadingRainbow4: so what you are saying is that you will be banned/suspended by GameSpot for posting a brief summary to catch us up? I need to know who's part of the gaming illuminati

You won't get banned for posting a brief summary on this topic. I will provide one later if you want me to.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@Rattlesnake_8 said:

So the huge issue going on is about gaming journalism showing bias and then they get Zoe Quinn to write an article on the current situation going on.. yup that article won't be bias at all. Seems she has to try to stay in the headlines and keep her name in the spotlight. Lets get back to playing games and let her fade back under the rock she came out from. It's perfect for cracked as they will probably get a bunch of hits from it. Seems like a win win situation for them. As for the rest of us, I guess we get to have more non gaming related news posted, not that anything very interesting has been posted lately anyway. Gamespot and IGN have been copying the same articles as each other and the most interesting thing is Doom coming out with modern graphics, that an 20 articles on Destiny.

You guys are dumbasses for ever thinking "gaming journalism" wasn't bias to begin with.. Most Americans think all the mainstream news services for instance are bias.. Wtf do you think "gaming journalism" is when its sole purpose is to act as a buyers guide for products and produce hype for unreleased products?.. If anything this entire situation has lowered my opinion even FURTHER of the dumbasses in the "gaming community" while solidifying what I have already known for years on "gaming journalism"..

MrFreehuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrFreehuggs

@LostProphetFLCL: Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

ceromaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ceromaster
Member since 2009 • 209 Posts

I frequent Cracked and I gotta' say it was hilarious imo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@toast_burner said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@toast_burner said:

Since you apparently have no idea about the situation at hand I will link you this video that goes over the timeline of events.

Some bullet points:

-She faked a doxx on her profile trying to make some site called wizardchan look bad claiming they had doxxed her.

-She got a gaming charity event where a group was going to pick the best idea for a game submitted by female gamers and make it into a game and pay them for it. She kept claiming it was sexist and eventually got it shut down.

-When the controversy first broke she was getting youtube vids discussing the situation pulled down under false copyright claims.

-On a similar note, she had her buddies throughout the industry attempting to do a mass silence on the subject, deleting numerous threads and thousands of posts on the subject from forums.

-I don't think that particular video goes into it, but there has been some stories circulating of her being an absolute bitch at some gaming events and harassing people.

And how does any of that justify hating her? Disliking her, sure.

If you don't like that she is in the spotlight, why did you put her in it?

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

That's a very one-sided op ed. Why can't those in "that side" of the discussion base themselves on facts and studies? It's all preaching judgemental opinions as if they were laws of physics.

Unlike what this woman does:

Loading Video...

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Serraph105

@LostProphetFLCL:

I'm trying to figure out how any of that justifies stealing her (and her friends) personal information such as phone numbers, social security numbers, posting nude pictures or harassing members of her family.

Oh right it really doesn't.

MrFreehuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrFreehuggs

@Serraph105: I'm coming up blank too

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SaintLeonidas

@SambaLele said:

That's a very one-sided op ed. Why can't those in "that side" of the discussion base themselves on facts and studies? It's all preaching judgemental opinions as if they were laws of physics.

Loading Video...

...literally everything she says in that video is opinion. She literally says "I have spent time looking at data and I don't think"...yet doesn't actually reference the data, only what SHE drew from it.

Like, she literally says "they do a lot of cherry picking"...then she does the EXACT same thing to single out games that feature female characters to prove her own point.

Honestly, I'd think this was an absolute joke post if not for the fact that I know you think it is true.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@Serraph105 said:

@MrFreehuggs:

I'm trying to figure out how any of that justifies stealing her (and her friends) personal information such as phone numbers, social security numbers, posting nude pictures or harassing members of her family.

Oh right it really doesn't.

It doesn't but you can't focus on only one aspect of all of this. Also the nudes were already out in the public domain (not saying it's right but they weren't exactly stolen)

The censorship of vital information via certain aspects of the gaming press and Reddit, false DMCA notices thrown around youtube for stating facts is also another thing that's far from right.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Serraph105

@MrFreehuggs: sorry about that I meant for that to go to Lost Prophets

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I can't even imagine the damage that she's done to the reputation of all women who work in the industry.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SambaLele

@SaintLeonidas said:

@SambaLele said:

Loading Video...

...literally everything she says in that video is opinion. She literally says "I have spent time looking at data and I don't think"...yet doesn't actually reference the data, only what SHE drew from it.

Like, she literally says "they do a lot of cherry picking"...then she does the EXACT same thing to single out games that feature female characters to prove her own point.

Honestly, I'd think this was an absolute joke post if not for the fact that I know you think it is true.

It's an informed opinion, based on studies and data from trustworthy companies. Not to mention it comes from a university professor who happens to actually study the field, so it's an opinion that's also a legitimate argument of authority (though she doesn't play that card). The other part's "opinion" comes from... the games she played? The dogmas she already preached before that?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SaintLeonidas

@SambaLele said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

It's an informed opinion, based on studies and data from trustworthy companies. Not to mention it comes from a university professor who happens to actually study the field, so it's an opinion that's also a legitimate argument of authority (though she doesn't play that card). The other part's "opinion" comes from... the games she played? The dogmas she already preached before that?

"From trustworthy companies" or really? What are those? Cause she certainly didn't go into much detail. Hilarious how bias this is. You literally are dismissing the opinion of someone you don't agree with, listing reasons why...then posting a video of someone whose opinion you do agree with, even though that person used the same logic and approach as the person you are dismissing. You have no idea what level of "research" Anita/Zoe, or the person in this video, actually did to come to their conclusions of the state of women in video games, yet you are conveniently choosing to consider one based on " preaching judgmental opinion" and the other "facts and studies".

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#39 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I am not going to read some populistic feminist crap

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Why are some people willing to look at pieces that paint quinn in a negative light but refuse to read what she has to say about this stuff because they refuse to give her attention or views?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SaintLeonidas

@dave123321 said:

Why are some people willing to look at pieces that paint quinn in a negative light but refuse to read what she has to say about this stuff because they refuse to give her attention or views?

It is like any other "politic" topic. People are so consumed by their own bias they refuse to even consider the other side, or worse, they don't apply the same logic/criticism to the side they support. It is like climate change deniers who refuse to read/believe the 97% of scientists who believe it is happening, but will bend over backwards to force people to acknowledge the 3% of scientist they like and agree with.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SambaLele

@SaintLeonidas said:

"From trustworthy companies" or really? What are those? Cause she certainly didn't go into much detail. Hilarious how bias this is. You literally are dismissing the opinion of someone you don't agree with, listing reasons why...then posting a video of someone whose opinion you do agree with, even though that person used the same logic and approach as the person you are dismissing. You have no idea what level of "research" Anita/Zoe, or the person in this video, actually did to come to their conclusions of the state of women in video games, yet you are conveniently choosing to consider one based on " preaching judgmental opinion" and the other "facts and studies".

Well, kinda. While the other part is dismissing the "opinion" of someone they don't agree with, without listing reasons why.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SaintLeonidas

@SambaLele said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Well, kinda. While the other part is dismissing the "opinion" of someone they don't agree with, without listing reasons why.

The problem is the reasons you listed can be applied directly to the person you do agree with, and used to dismiss their opinion. You can't dismiss someone for lack of facts, then post a video to support your view...that contains a lack of facts. Either apply the same logic to both sides of the topic, or don't discuss the topic at all.

ReconX89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44 ReconX89
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

At this point I don't even fucking understand what's going on. I thought GameGate was supposed to support the equality and feminism and try and bring attention to the bad ethics some game journalism sites have, now... I just don't get it. Its a shitshow.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SambaLele

@SaintLeonidas said:

The problem is the reasons you listed can be applied directly to the person you do agree with, and used to dismiss their opinion. You can't dismiss someone for lack of facts, then post a video to support your view...that contains a lack of facts. Either apply the same logic to both sides of the topic, or don't discuss the topic at all.

So it's rovian projection. You're talking about what you're doing yourself, not me.

Lack of facts? She mentions ESA surveys, CIRP Freshman surveys, a study from the American Psychological Association by Christopher J. Ferguson and John Kilburn, and more.

If you disdain those multiple credible sources, you're clearly appealing to the fallacy of impossible evidence.

But you are right in saying that one side lacks facts, since that one side focused her "research" on buying games, playing them and watching "let's play" videos. Great research there. And the conclusions and assertions she makes have no academic references nor sources, and are simple ipse dixit. Who lacks facts here?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SaintLeonidas

@SambaLele said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

But you are right in saying that one side lacks facts, since that one side focused her "research" on buying games, playing them and watching "let's play" videos.

Again, you say "research" without actually know what that research entailed. But that is no surprise given your clear bias.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SambaLele

@SaintLeonidas said:

@SambaLele said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

But you are right in saying that one side lacks facts, since that one side focused her "research" on buying games, playing them and watching "let's play" videos.

Again, you say "research" without actually know what that research entailed. But that is no surprise given your clear bias.

Because it's not research. Where are the references, the sources, etc. It's got no credibility. What is that then? What would you call it?

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LostProphetFLCL

@Serraph105: And I am trying to figure out who is actually even attemptingbto justify any of that. I have yet to see anyone say the death threats and such were OK.

Doesn't change the fact that Zoe is a piece of shit.

And for whoever asked, some of us really just want her to fade away which is why we don't want to give her articles hits. If she doesn't get the hits, she doesn't get to stay in the spotlight, granted she'll likely make some shit up for sympathy as she is a professional victim (forgot to mention she begs for money online all the time and actually gets a steady stream of money from people in the game journalism world far beyond those she slept with).

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SaintLeonidas

@SambaLele said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@SambaLele said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Because it's not research. Where are the references, the sources, etc. It's got no credibility. What is that then? What would you call it?

Right, because she doesn't listen off all her specific sources, you automatically assume she did no research. She is just some random woman, making videos and did a TED talk on the topic...all solely based on her own opinion. But that random lady in that one video who references a few "surveys", not actually giving data, but references surveys and she is somehow a more reliable source for you...for someone who claims their standards are so high, you don't really go to very good sources.