Zoe Quinn article on Cracked.com

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@Serraph105: And I am trying to figure out who is actually even attemptingbto justify any of that. I have yet to see anyone say the death threats and such were OK.

Doesn't change the fact that Zoe is a piece of shit.

And for whoever asked, some of us really just want her to fade away which is why we don't want to give her articles hits. If she doesn't get the hits, she doesn't get to stay in the spotlight, granted she'll likely make some shit up for sympathy as she is a professional victim (forgot to mention she begs for money online all the time and actually gets a steady stream of money from people in the game journalism world far beyond those she slept with).

Oh sure, most people don't "justify it", but I see people overlooking it and excusing it all the time. Don't tell me you haven't seen comments like, "I don't agree with those people's actions, but the internet is gonna internet."

Revan_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#52 Revan_911
Member since 2007 • 1709 Posts

Anyone defending Zoe PLEASE read these two

http://apgnation.com/archives/2014/09/09/6977/truth-gaming-interview-fine-young-capitalists

http://imgur.com/a/4VOcx

Then tell me if she's the victim. #GamerGate isn't about her, she keeps making it about her by provoking people on using the tag.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By MrGeezer

@Revan_911 said:

http://apgnation.com/archives/2014/09/09/6977/truth-gaming-interview-fine-young-capitalists

Then tell me if she's the victim. #GamerGate isn't about her, she keeps making it about her by provoking people on using the tag.

See, here's the thing...I don't give a shit about defending Zoe Quinn. There are all sorts of accusations about what she may have done, I have no idea how much of it is true, and I have neither the time or inclination to find out. I'm more interested in criticizing the gaming community because...

"TFYC: Threats aren’t protected speech, period. And I feel they cloud the issue. As I’ve written in great length there are very good reasons to be critical of Zoe Quinn’s work. Honest criticism can not be expressed and explored fully when she’s receiving threats of violence."

Whatever she may or may not have done, that became a secondary issue the second that the gaming community rallied together to act like this. The response to Zoe Quinn overshadowed everything she may have done. There has been an absolutely shocking level of acceptance of this kind of vile behavior within this community, and THAT'S what sickens me the most. I don't know Zoe Quinn, I don't care about her works, any interest I have in her is from a purely trivial perspective. But I am a part of the "gaming community", and it sickens me to my gut to find out that a community that I'm a part of is so okay with that level of hatred and abuse. I'm better than that. I know that a lot of the members of this community are better than that. And it makes all of us look bad when we make excuses for that kind of behavior. Whatever Zoe Quinn may have done, the reaction from the gaming community is WORSE, and it's this kind of shit that makes me feel ashamed to be a gamer.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@Revan_911 said:

Whatever she may or may not have done, that became a secondary issue the second that the gaming community rallied together to act like this. The response to Zoe Quinn overshadowed everything she may have done. There has been an absolutely shocking level of acceptance of this kind of vile behavior within this community, and THAT'S what sickens me the most. I don't know Zoe Quinn, I don't care about her works, any interest I have in her is from a purely trivial perspective. But I am a part of the "gaming community", and it sickens me to my gut to find out that a community that I'm a part of is so okay with that level of hatred and abuse. I'm better than that. I know that a lot of the members of this community are better than that. And it makes all of us look bad when we make excuses for that kind of behavior. Whatever Zoe Quinn may have done, the reaction from the gaming community is WORSE, and it's this kind of shit that makes me feel ashamed to be a gamer.

Revan_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Revan_911

No one is justifying it. I'm just saying a lot of people have reasons to be pissed at her and her hypocrisy. She tanked a project to get women in gaming FFS , and now the press is acting like this is about sexism. We all condemn threats and harassment. That doesn't need to be actually said, no one is for it except extreme individuals who I don't want to associate with. That's not what the #GamerGate campaign is about. Zoe is so narcissistic and keeps saying it's all about her even though no one has mentioned her for days. If you check her tweeter feed all you will see is provocations against the people there to attack her so she can play victim.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@Serraph105: And I am trying to figure out who is actually even attemptingbto justify any of that. I have yet to see anyone say the death threats and such were OK.

And for whoever asked, some of us really just want her to fade away which is why we don't want to give her articles hits. If she doesn't get the hits, she doesn't get to stay in the spotlight, granted she'll likely make some shit up for sympathy as she is a professional victim (forgot to mention she begs for money online all the time and actually gets a steady stream of money from people in the game journalism world far beyond those she slept with).

Oh sure, most people don't "justify it", but I see people overlooking it and excusing it all the time. Don't tell me you haven't seen comments like, "I don't agree with those people's actions, but the internet is gonna internet."

They aren't excusing it just stating that it happens and quite frankly it happens to a LOT of people who just ignore it as they should without try to make a big deal of it.

We have been condemning it a lot as quite frankly even though it is a TINY portion of morons doing that shit, it has been constantly thrown in our faces as if it somehow invalidates whatever we say.

Guess what? I haven't said a damn word to Zoe and don't plan to. People can shut their damn mouth about those idiots threatening her. That is not me and I am fucking sick of people treating it as if it is my actions. Go bitch to the people actually doing it.

Seriously, it is baffling the way people like to judge and treat an entire group (and yes this has led to the entire gaming community being treated like misogynistic morons even though I have seen nothing but support for including more women in games) as if the small number of extremists speak for our entire community. I guess that means that if I make my way down to Detroit and have a little discussion with a few gangbangers on the corner then I would have the views of the entire community, right?

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 tourgen
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Games, the latest battleground for the post-modern con artists' attack on reason and enlightenment. No one cared about what they did to comics. Maybe gamers won't be such a push-over? Who can say. We know they come with no research or facts to back their claims while shouting down all opposition with sexist and racist slurs.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

who the **** is zoe quinn?

some bitch trying to play victim becuz of the lies and dirty dealing she did in order to game famous in the game industry, while using feminism to justify her case.

ReconX89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59 ReconX89
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

@Revan_911 said:

No one is justifying it. I'm just saying a lot of people have reasons to be pissed at her and her hypocrisy. She tanked a project to get women in gaming FFS , and now the press is acting like this is about sexism. We all condemn threats and harassment. That doesn't need to be actually said, no one is for it except extreme individuals who I don't want to associate with. That's not what the #GamerGate campaign is about. Zoe is so narcissistic and keeps saying it's all about her even though no one has mentioned her for days. If you check her tweeter feed all you will see is provocations against the people there to attack her so she can play victim.

This is what GamerGate TRULY is, but people keep fucking stamping and shouting saying its a campaign against Zoe Quinn and feminism, and that trolls and flamers have "poisoned the well."

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 MrGeezer

@magicalclick said:

@MrGeezer:

Trivial fact. People make death threat. Period. Expecting people to stop hating Justine Beiber? That's naive. That goes against human nature. You have more chance taking over the world and force them to behave.

Trivial fact. People look at the gaming community, see that it's a cesspool of immaturity and misogyny, and then complain about it. Period. Expecting feminists to stop calling out the kinds of shit that goes on in the game industry? That's naive. That goes against human nature. You have more chance taking over the world and force them to behave.

Or more accurate: if the internet gonna internet, then feminists gonna feminize. Don't be a hypocrite.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 MrGeezer

@LostProphetFLCL said:

They aren't excusing it just stating that it happens and quite frankly it happens to a LOT of people who just ignore it as they should without try to make a big deal of it.

We have been condemning it a lot as quite frankly even though it is a TINY portion of morons doing that shit, it has been constantly thrown in our faces as if it somehow invalidates whatever we say.

Guess what? I haven't said a damn word to Zoe and don't plan to. People can shut their damn mouth about those idiots threatening her. That is not me and I am fucking sick of people treating it as if it is my actions. Go bitch to the people actually doing it.

Seriously, it is baffling the way people like to judge and treat an entire group (and yes this has led to the entire gaming community being treated like misogynistic morons even though I have seen nothing but support for including more women in games) as if the small number of extremists speak for our entire community. I guess that means that if I make my way down to Detroit and have a little discussion with a few gangbangers on the corner then I would have the views of the entire community, right?

The gaming community reveals their true colors by what they choose to accept and what they choose to condemn. Just looking at this thread, it's clear that the majority of the people in this thread have more of a problem with Zoe Quinn's actions than with the response by the vocal minority of gamers. And you can see the exact same thing happening in forum after forum. That speaks volumes about what this community thinks and feels without them having to say a damn word to the person getting harassed.

ceromaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64 ceromaster
Member since 2009 • 209 Posts

@MrGeezer:

So what you're saying is that because a few people think something, that must mean that everyone from that group thinks the same way? So by your logic, if a meet a racist Caucasian, I should assume that all Caucasians are racist?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Serraph105 said:

@MrFreehuggs:

I'm trying to figure out how any of that justifies stealing her (and her friends) personal information such as phone numbers, social security numbers, posting nude pictures or harassing members of her family.

Oh right it really doesn't.

It doesn't but you can't focus on only one aspect of all of this. Also the nudes were already out in the public domain (not saying it's right but they weren't exactly stolen)

The censorship of vital information via certain aspects of the gaming press and Reddit, false DMCA notices thrown around youtube for stating facts is also another thing that's far from right.

So essentially what you're saying is that everyone, on both extremes of the argument, are assholes - and their actions cancel each other out?

See, that doesn't fly. Whatever faults the gaming industry has, vocal parts of the gaming community had proven themselves to be much worse. Articles may or may not reveal how supposedly terrible this one lady is...but the comments sections of those articles (and in the danker basements of the internet) shine light on how horrible hundreds or potentially thousands of gamers are.

Even if those asshole gamers are in the minority, it's reflecting poorly on the rest of us, and people need to speak out against them.

Also, seriously, can we stop calling it GamerGate? GamersGate is already an established part of the industry, and it has nothing to do with gaming journalism.

Revan_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Revan_911

@Planeforger said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Serraph105 said:

@MrFreehuggs:

I'm trying to figure out how any of that justifies stealing her (and her friends) personal information such as phone numbers, social security numbers, posting nude pictures or harassing members of her family.

It doesn't but you can't focus on only one aspect of all of this. Also the nudes were already out in the public domain (not saying it's right but they weren't exactly stolen)

The censorship of vital information via certain aspects of the gaming press and Reddit, false DMCA notices thrown around youtube for stating facts is also another thing that's far from right.

So essentially what you're saying is that everyone, on both extremes of the argument, are assholes - and their actions cancel each other out?

See, that doesn't fly. Whatever faults the gaming industry has, the gaming community had proven themselves to be much worse. Articles may or may not reveal how supposedly terrible this one lady is...but the comments sections of those articles (and in the danker basements of the internet) shine light on how horrible hundreds or potentially thousands of gamers are.

Also, seriously, can we stop calling it GamerGate? GamersGate is already an established part of the industry, and it has nothing to do with gaming journalism.

Et tu?

Anyway , check out the GamerGate tag on tweeter any time. It's been like three weeks, but people have behaved better than in most gaming communities, even of topic and system wars. Differences put aside, politics, race,gender, personal taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYqBdCmDR0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkto-HtXqg8

Watch this. So no I will not accept your oppinion that gamers are inherently pad people. I haven't been to many cons, but I have been to some and it has been wonderful.

Do you know how hard it was to keep composure when we were attacked non stop by some of the most vile people imaginable? People who don't even play videogames but were so sure that we were all worthless scum like you are saying right now. How about you lighten up? We can beat it with positivity not blaming and shaming

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

Still not hearing about any of this in any actual game. That spans across consoles to pc, fps to mmorpg. This pretty much follows the lines of people only coming to the forum of their game to bitch. But then again there is this whole crowd of "gamers" who mostly watch someone stream a game so perhaps that is just how the meta game has evolved.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

@Revan_911 said:

Et tu?

Anyway , check out the GamerGate tag on tweeter any time. It's been like three weeks, but people have behaved better than in most gaming communities, even of topic and system wars. Differences put aside, politics, race,gender, personal taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYqBdCmDR0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkto-HtXqg8

Watch this. So no I will not accept your oppinion that gamers are inherently pad people. I haven't been to many cons, but I have been to some and it has been wonderful.

Do you know how hard it was to keep composure when we were attacked non stop by some of the most vile people imaginable? People who don't even play videogames but were so sure that we were all worthless scum like you are saying right now. How about you lighten up? We can beat it with positivity not blaming and shaming

Seems like you beat me to an edit, although it was clear enough in my original post:

I am not claiming that gamers are inherently bad people. I limited it to a few hundred, maybe thousands of gamers who have been acting like troglodytes in light of all of this media hubbub recently.

They might not even be bad people - they could just be people ignorant about what each argument entails, or unable/unwilling to be critical of the information they are consuming, or people who firmly believe that their stance is right without realising that other people might be hurt by that stance.

Regardless of their intentions though, their vocal nature is bringing the rest of the community down to their level.

In any case, you're probably right. We should be trying to educate them, not name and shame them. For example, we could post things like:

• If someone is posting about the "nepotism" in the gaming industry, politely inform them that nepotism isn't the word they are looking for.
  • If someone reposts poorly collaged screencaps from message boards, or posts youtube videos in response to questions instead of creating their own arguments, politely request that they summarise that information in their own words and come up with their own position on what happened. It might allow them to start developing some critical thinking skills about what to believe.
  • If someone is treating particular feminists or their arguments as being representative of feminism as a whole, politely inform them that there is no unified theory of feminism, and that a hundred theorists may take a hundred different stances on any given issue.
  • If someone denies that "such and such" person is not really a victim, please inform them that chances are they're wrong. Especially if they have been hacked, "doxxed", or received threats of physical or sexual violence. Criticism can be useful. Personal attacks aren't.
  • If someone tries to change topics without really addressing the issues - for example, by responding to a discussion about the treatment of women in videogaming with "Who cares about this? Let's just talk about games!" or "This isn't the issue - we should focus on gaming journalism!" - you should politely tell them to stop being disruptive and create their own thread about it. Each issue may be entirely worthy of discussion, so there's no need to blur them all together.
  • And so on. And so on.

Of course, I'm not saying that I'm perfect. I'm just a commentator trying to remain level-headed about everything.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

@SaintLeonidas: Random lady? If one is to be a "random" lady to talk about feminism, that certainly wouldn't be the one who's a scholar on the subject. And for every work she writes or makes videos of, she shows new data, new sources. Unlike Sarkeesian, so, who's the random? Who's got the highest standard (like you said)?

@Planeforger: you are completely right. But if you've been following this, you'd see that avoiding disruptiveness seems impossible. Even so, gamergaters are trying to avoid it (not every each one of them though, of course, because this is not a "movement" that can select who's a part of it, but I see them being reprimanded by colleagues). You'll see that the vast, vast majority is completely against harassment, and even after lefting that clear and trying to move on with the topics, trying to focus, they're dragged back down to that very same issue all over again and again. They are not allowed to discuss other subjects, like you said is perfectly possible. The only sites that allowed discussion to move further than that are Slate, Forbes, The Escapist, What Culture, The Examiner, (not mentioning BreitBart because it's too one-sided in favor of gamergate) and they all conceded that the "movement" did in fact show that there're conflicts of interests exposed on a public level which should be addressed. Yet the ones focusing on the bad apples are completely ignoring that for some reason, and discussion is stagnated, they don't allow the multiple fronts you and I talk about.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#70 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Several women have come forward to support gamergate and talk about how SJW are not doing the right thing here. SJW are not fighting for equality. Many have freely posted on social networks stating they don't play games, will never play games and that they "hate gamers" and want "death to all nerds". They are have made many threats towards gamers so having backlash is completely understandable. I don't believe threats of any kind or necessary, but I can see why they happen when someone logs in to read up on some new game coming only to hear about a scandal and then reading pages and pages of random people calling themselves SJW telling him they want him to die and while not being gamers, they've decided they want to destroy his hobby and enjoyment.

This whole thing is stupid. SJW need to go find a real cause and stop making nonsense up. They are screaming about what goes on in the gaming industry despite not actually playing games or even having any interest in games. They don't work in the industry and never will since they freely say so. Why should gamers let some random group of people come out screaming, swearing, threating and throwing punches at them get away with it? There can be no discussion, just insults and threats. I'll go back to enjoying my games now, and hopefully this anti game movement will move on to something else that might actually improve the world instead of trying to ruin peoples enjoyment and lives with slander, abuse, doxxing and harassment.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38671 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

@comp_atkins said:

some bitch trying to play victim becuz of the lies and dirty dealing she did in order to game famous in the game industry, while using feminism to justify her case.

i guess i should have added: "and why should we care"?

bunch of gossiply gils up in here.

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Brain_Duster
Member since 2013 • 473 Posts

Other than the constant bitching I hear about her, this woman has had zero impact on my life. Anyone who makes the effort to even dislike this woman is likely fairly scummy themselves.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@Planeforger said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Serraph105 said:

@MrFreehuggs:

See, that doesn't fly. Whatever faults the gaming industry has, vocal parts of the gaming community had proven themselves to be much worse. Articles may or may not reveal how supposedly terrible this one lady is...but the comments sections of those articles (and in the danker basements of the internet) shine light on how horrible hundreds or potentially thousands of gamers are.

Even if those asshole gamers are in the minority, it's reflecting poorly on the rest of us, and people need to speak out against them.

lol, except I never said that.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By amillionhp
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

So.... i guess i have to shut my mouth, disregard my own opinions and agree with Zoe / Anita strictly because they've been harassed and don't deserve that kind of treatment? Harassment i've taken no part in nor have no direct connection with? Oh, and its apparently my responsibility to speak up and condemn anyone who chooses to do that otherwise i'm just as bad? I guess i signed on here not to post about what i want to discuss but rather just find out what i should discuss and what opinion i'm supposed to have.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Who gives a crap about her, the one I have a problem with is Anita Sarkeesan. She will cause much more problems for the gaming industry.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@SambaLele said:

@SaintLeonidas: Random lady? If one is to be a "random" lady to talk about feminism, that certainly wouldn't be the one who's a scholar on the subject. And for every work she writes or makes videos of, she shows new data, new sources. Unlike Sarkeesian, so, who's the random? Who's got the highest standard (like you said)?

I am sorry, but how is she being a "scholar" on the subject of feminism (the movement) make her qualified to talk about actual feminism in gaming? She openly admits she does not play video games. She might know what feminism stands for, and its relevancy in other topics...but she has to look completely elsewhere for data on how it is handled in gaming. What is that data? The only actual studies the "factual feminist" (laughs) woman in the video references are ones that counted the percentage of female gamers. That is it. It has NOTHING to do with actual sexism in games. The only time she references any other "research" actually regarding possible sexism and misogyny is when she says she looked at video game "literature"...that is it. "Literature"...that could be anything, or nothing. So again...the video you posted in nothing more than an opinion. It is the video creators opinion of sexism in gaming based on "literature" (not specified). Yet, you claim she is a reliable source for feminism in gaming.

Then on the other hand, you have Anita, who clearly has done her own "research" as well. Yet you are willing to openly ignore that fact (and ignore the fact that Anita isn't some bum off the street and has a masters degree in social/political thought). So again, your bias is blatantly clear. You set a standard for this discuss as having to be someone with the background and research to actually discuss facts. Both the woman in the video and Anita have the background (Anita much more so in regards to gaming), and both have done "research", the specifics of which for both aren't clear...yet you are completely dismissing one as "preachy judgmental" opinion and believing the other to be fact/an "informed" opinion.

The woman in the video makes some good points...but they are no better or worse than the ones Anita has made. Neither are the best source of information. Both cherry pick. Both have a clear bias. Both are going off of "research" they've done. Yet your dismissal of one over the other, and your failure to apply your same logic (listed in your first post) for what constitutes a reliable source to both makes it impossible for me to take anything else you say on this topic seriously.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By SambaLele

@SaintLeonidas: The other one once admitted she doesn't like video games. Your argument goes both ways. And what do you mean "actual feminism" in games? Like a "no true scottsman" fallacy? The only valid feminism approach for games is the one that comes from the side that has no scientific basis nor factual evidence? I say that there are stronger points and weaker points brought to light by people that declare themselves part of a movement. The material quality and the formal validity of what they say weight more than self-defining themselves as "pure" members of any kind of ideology. The ideas are what should be discussed after all.

Saint, don't think that I don't agree with things that Anita points out. It's only that they are rare, since I think there's too much semiotical paranoia on the whole. I agree both have good points. I never bought a Dead or Alive game because I think it's too perverted. I think it's sexist. Though I don't think it should stop being made, this would be censorship. I just don't buy those games. And I don't see a problem with them existing actually, as I wouldn't think it would be a problem to have a game the same way with male characters appealing to a female audience. I think they only should be rated accordingly and people should be aware of the nature of the product, like happens with adult content on other mediums, like magazines.

Why semiotical paranoia? Because there are signs that are relevant, and there are signs that are irrelevant. But you can make the latter seem like the former through demagogy and fallacies. What I think of all this is that one feminist here has very strong points, and doesn't generalize as much as the other one, which really has weaker points and is much more dependent on bias, you can see that easily by how conclusions are throwed as pure ipse dixit, without even feeling the need to back it with literature, essays or surveys. I see it like this, then it is like this. Or I understand it like this, it could mean this, hence it must mean this. It's barely empiricism since she only played games and watched "let's play" videos. Empiricism with lack of evidence. Which is only part of what scientific knowledge can be (though it's another area of human knowledge formally), and in this case it's much more a sensory experience, than the whole package. This is too limited to be upheld as superior to the background of someone who knows the very ideology which they base themselves on, and it's sociocultural implications, than the other one. And the study you mentioned is only the ESA one. She also mentions a psychology study (which stretches her view for multidisciplinarity), a CIRP study (which along with the ESA one seeks basis on facts and measurable statistics), etc. She has other videos on the subject with other sources (from what I saw, she didn't even repeat them). And I don't understand that as denying sexism in games, but denying the ubiquity of it as preached by Anita, and Sommers finding signs of chauvinism on that reasoning.

A clear method really does give any analysis more credibility, I can't see how this is not something we can agree on.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By LostProphetFLCL

@MrGeezer: Funny thing is the gaming community IS condemning the harassment. However, I see none of the sociak justice warriors condeming people for insulting and stereotyping gamers, nor do those people condemn Zoe or Anita for that matter for the shit they have done.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SambaLele

Why hasn't this been posted here yet?

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/09/17/Exposed-the-secret-mailing-list-of-the-gaming-journalism-elite

Several prominent gaming journalists across America are part of a secret mailing list on which they discuss what to cover, what to ignore, and what approach their coverage should take to breaking news, Breitbart can reveal.

Confirms everyone's suspicion on why those sites published articles with one-sided views of things, without fact checking... the multiple "gamers are dead" articles that came out in the short span of a day; etc.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 MrGeezer

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@MrGeezer: Funny thing is the gaming community IS condemning the harassment. However, I see none of the sociak justice warriors condeming people for insulting and stereotyping gamers, nor do those people condemn Zoe or Anita for that matter for the shit they have done.

Condemning the harrassment? Is that what you call claims like, "what do you expect, the internet's gonna internet" or "how do you expect people to respond when something that they spend countless hours a day playing gets attacked?" That's the equivalent of saying, "I don't condone racism, but..."

Sure, there are PEOPLE within the gaming community who are condemning the harassment, but the primary sentiment from the community as a whole seems to be more along the lines of "sure the harassment is wrong, but the REAL problem is the social justice warriors messing with our gaming."

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#81  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@Revan_911 said:
No Caption Provided

This is incorrect (on the left). The initial money comes from mainly investors. Consumers pay after the fact. Brand loyalty comes into play, based mainly off of trust. You can buy a game, and hate it, but still assisted in gaining profit for those who produced it. The consumers can set a broad criteria, that developers may or may not follow, but it's ultimately based on trust and faith..that's why they call it loyalty, and it isn't intrinsic to the industry. Advertising has done wonders for the gaming industry's bottom line (for better or worse).

People can call games "art" all they want, but the fact is that for pretty much all games ever released are done so as part of a business model, and the people involved are very savvy. It's always been full of opportunists and nepotism. Those who are in it for artistic merit, like Team Silent for example, usually don't stay for long because the industry isn't built for them, and they get fed up with it.

tl;dr - Consumers just aren't important as they think they are

EDIT: I have NEVER had the kind of trouble with pictures on a forum than I have with GS forums. Utterly terrible

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 SambaLele

http://techraptor.net/2014/09/17/secret-game-journalist-mailing-list-gamejournopros-exposed/

What has this revealed overall? Some disturbing information for sure. The journalists named here as a part of GameJournoPros, and there may or may not be more we just don’t know yet, are working together to both silence one side of an issue (criticism of game journalism ethics) and bring attention to the other (harassment and Zoe Quinn’s work).

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#83  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

There are also those people who will try to justify it by not condoning the death threats and what not, but by desperately trying to convince others that they should hate this woman. It's basically a way of trying to give all this shameful behavior moral legitimacy.

Seems to me that many people in the gaming community need a punching bag, whether that be this Zoe woman or Anita or Carolyn or whoever.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

The gaming community reveals their true colors by what they choose to accept and what they choose to condemn. Just looking at this thread, it's clear that the majority of the people in this thread have more of a problem with Zoe Quinn's actions than with the response by the vocal minority of gamers. And you can see the exact same thing happening in forum after forum. That speaks volumes about what this community thinks and feels without them having to say a damn word to the person getting harassed.

Pretty much this.... Let's say everything that Quinn did was true, who the **** cares? You seriously think this even is a blip on radar of corruption, especially for corruption that even matters as a whole? Do you guys even know what real corruption looks like, instead of some bullshit video game site? Oh dear she may have canned the development of a game? Omg that never happened before, oh wait it happens hundreds to thousands of times..

And instead of going the INTELLIGENT route and boycotting the shit and not listening to it any more (they THRIVE off of traffic), they basically harassed vomited vitriol all over the fucking web, crying out foul about pointless shit that does not affect any one here.. The fact that this is being dubbed as "gamersgate" only makes me have a even LOWER opinion of the group that I am affiliated with.. Because it should have been fucking obvious years ago that there was corruption and bias.. We talk about Mainstream media in the United States being bias and corrupt.. Wtf would call a industry that thrives on basically doing a pitch for products for the viewer to buy, by writers who were never journalists, and who are not policed by watch dog groups what so ever..

Then when I see the knee jerk reaction by the community being even more hostile when "gaming journalism" calls foul, to me it looks like their claim hit close to the mark, and some jimmies were rustled.. Seriously this is like high school all over again, with he said she said bullshit that really doesn't affect anyone here.. Except for the responses by the community, which makes the community look like its full of douche bags.. Which it is... And if you take offense to anything I have said in this post, than you are part demographic..

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 LostProphetFLCL

So I guess now I can judge all of Christianity based on the WBC right? I mean after all, I don't see Christian groups condemning their actions.

Seriously, some of the people in this thread are so stupidly ignorant it makes my head hurt.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

This all seems overblown after doing some research

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-59d151f079814

@LostProphetFLCL said:

So I guess now I can judge all of Christianity based on the WBC right? I mean after all, I don't see Christian groups condemning their actions.

Seriously, some of the people in this thread are so stupidly ignorant it makes my head hurt.

....................... The hell you talking about? Christian community has condemned their actions constantly, furthermore the WBC themselves have said that they think all other Christians are not true Christians.. You seriously can't argue the fact that the entire community is chock full of douche bags? If you are not one of those douche bags, you shouldn't care what is said, because it means jack shit.. Your anonymous.. The criticism needs to be directed at the community not some trivial bullshit like this.. Because in these arguments YOU are going to lose.. It doesn't matter what kind of bullshit your going to say "but that is not me!" to the outside viewer when you see the shit that is going on, they are going to be against you.. If this weren't case, in politics when some one said something REALLY crazy, the affiliated groups and parties would not immediately pull their support..

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

I am interested in letting the drama go away and die, so I won't give the article any hits.

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

@comp_atkins said:

and why should we care?

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Can't believe that some of you are defending her.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By LostProphetFLCL

@sSubZerOo said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

....................... The hell you talking about? Christian community has condemned their actions constantly, furthermore the WBC themselves have said that they think all other Christians are not true Christians.. You seriously can't argue the fact that the entire community is chock full of douche bags? If you are not one of those douche bags, you shouldn't care what is said, because it means jack shit.. Your anonymous.. The criticism needs to be directed at the community not some trivial bullshit like this.. Because in these arguments YOU are going to lose.. It doesn't matter what kind of bullshit your going to say "but that is not me!" to the outside viewer when you see the shit that is going on, they are going to be against you.. If this weren't case, in politics when some one said something REALLY crazy, the affiliated groups and parties would not immediately pull their support..

If you seriously cannot understand this concept that judging an entire community as huge and diverse as the gaming community for the actions of an extreme few and throwing blanket insults at the community is nothing short of ignorant then you have some maturing to do.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch: some of the negative stuff she was said to do seems as if is being overblown

Some of the other stuff is irrelevant to any public concern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

If you seriously cannot understand this concept that judging an entire community as huge and diverse as the gaming community for the actions of an extreme few and throwing blanket insults at the community is nothing short of ignorant then you have some maturing to do.

Perhaps you do because clearly you haven't played online often enough.. And I am sorry but as some one that is a gamer, as a gamer, I am judging the community I am affiliated with.. And it isn't very positive, specifically the "vocal" group.. And this is nothing new, get over it, because this shit has happened for years with negative stereotypes.. And to this day none of those even come close to the shit you get called online by the said "community" involving animals, your heritage, race, sexuality, family etc etc (or all of the above).. So I don't know grow a thicker skin? It's hilarious how people are even bothered by what is said by these "journalists".. Seriously people crying out like their victims because of a hobby because some jimmies were rustled, it's fucking disgraceful.. Not to mention trivial in getting overworked over something so stupid.. Don't enter work place or life for that matter if something as stupid as this bothers you.. And to me when I see the scale of the backlash for something so irrelevant and trivial, I see nerves struck because it has led to a germ of truth about some of these jackasses online.. And if you don't fall in that bracket of the community that is like this, you shouldn't give a shit about what is said on fucking twitter.. Seriously every one is turning into a bunch drama queens. Oh noes, some one said something about a very MASSIVE group of people ( of all races, religions, genders etc etc), that is negative! Never heard that one before, I'm going to show my self importance by blogging about it!!

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 LostProphetFLCL

@sSubZerOo: So essentially you are ignorant and a hypocrite (you are apparently find with bashing gamer, but God forbid anyone bash a woman!). Got it.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By SambaLele

@sSubZerOo: Funny. I do agree with you, and I think GG should be more about gaming journalism than about the issue of PC in games. But notice that your argument is the very same one that those "vocal" gamers against PC being pressured in games by the media/academia or whatever source use as an argument: "grow a thicker skin". I don't really see this as a complete solution to either party (maybe a parcial one), though is this discussion heading for a loop?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@SambaLele said:

@sSubZerOo: Funny. I do agree with you, and I think GG should be more about gaming journalism than about the issue of PC in games. But notice that your argument is the very same one that those "vocal" gamers against PC being pressured in games by the media/academia or whatever source use as an argument: "grow a thicker skin". I don't really see this as a complete solution to either party (maybe a parcial one), though is this discussion heading for a loop?

No where did I state a solution in my topic, simply the over dramatization of it in showing the stupidity of humanity. You want my solution? Stop going to these sites your bitching about, stop paying attention to "gaming journalism".. Stop acting so shocked when time and time again it illustrates that it is crooked as hell (after all they are trying to pitch products to you).. These sites thrive off traffic, if you stop going to it and stop paying attention to it, it will shrivel and die.. Stop riding the god damned hype train in preordering games because you bought the bullshit of these sites PR paid by publishers.. Because in the end of the day, all this fuss and bullshit isn't going to mean anything when money talks.. And sending threatening and disgusting vitriol is only going to give the other side more ammunition to use in defending their case..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@sSubZerOo: So essentially you are ignorant and a hypocrite (you are apparently find with bashing gamer, but God forbid anyone bash a woman!). Got it.

Or perhaps I have a problem with the attacking of people's character about issues that are no ones fucking business but their own? Where was the outrage about the jackasses that were developing a kickstarter game in which they were literally squatting in a home refusing to pay rent, and they were proud of it? The fact of the matter, this was no ones business, and it affected absolutely no one but the parties involved.. This is why I feel that people really haven't moved beyond god damned high school, which clearly you haven't.. This could be a guy for all I care, the issue at hand is you are getting worked up over absolute bullshit.. The hilarity of the matter is this is being dubbed as "gamersgate" like this is some how the "aha!" you were all waiting for to prove "gaming journalism" is corrupt.. When in reality this shit was all too obvious years back that developers/publishers were in bed with "gaming journalism"..

And the difference between the two (in case you don't understand) is the fact I am talking how shitty many people are out there.. I am not specifically targeting a specific person by name nor am I go after them for something that I have no business talking or knowing about.. You know for a culture that is extremely paranoid about our privacy being infringed on, we seem to be obsessed with private lives of others..

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#98 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

I used to like Cracked until I found out that their articles are riddled with mistakes and terrible, stupid errors (for a site which claims to be very meticulous with the info they handle). I went to the forums to complain about it one week because it got really bad, they literally featured 2 articles at the same time that directly contradicted each other, one said "you cant get sick for getting wet in the rain" and the other said "getting wet in the rain is the worst thing you can do if you want to stay healthy". So I went over the forums and made a thread about how hit and miss the editors were. Some editors/mod came over and covered their asses by saying that I was just mad that a 2 years old article draft I had was never accepted, and dismissed everything I said because of this, then proceded to ban me for the thread. Lovely guys over there.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#99  Edited By lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

BTW I just read the article and I can just say: Ugh, I didn't expect cracked to fall so low to get hits. Situation must be pretty bad over there.

It's a completely biased article which is only about cherry picking, the girl dosn't says shit about the real issue and she doesn't even mentions the horrible shit she did (which has already been confirmed, like the charity sabotage she did), she just says "oh no I'm a victim of mysoginy, all of this is happening because I'm a feminist!" And she tries to pretend she doesn't think thats the reason why with her 4th point, which is, like I said, a bullshit attempt at looking "unbiased", but really its all just crocodile tears.

I'm not justifying the leakage of her personal info, but I'm saying she deserves all the criticism she gets, and cracked should feel bad for jumping right onto her side instead of staying impartial in the matter.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 LostProphetFLCL

@sSubZerOo: No you are just focused on trying to say gamers are shitty and then turning around and acting like that isn't textbook ignorance. You then are being a hypocrite as you still have yet to even aknowledge the shitty stuff done by these "social justice warriors" including Zoey herself.

This is exactly what this entire thing has been to. The social justice warriors only care about justice for their group, **** everyone else. They complain about threats while threatening and harassing gamers and then cherry pick information to only suit their cause. They are completely blind to anything beyond their one little cause (which quite frankly I can think of way more strong female characters than I can strong Black, Middle Eastern, or Latino characters) and act like complete shitheads then turn around and act like the victim.

Funny thing is at least the shitheads in the gaming community are shitty to people who have done questionable things. Right now even simply trying to say gamers are human gets you attacked by shithead SJW's.