Will the drug wars ever stop?

• 196 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#101 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts

[QUOTE="Strider_91"]If someone refuses help what do you believe to be the correct action if jail is off the table? GabuEx

Well, I mean, if they're committing crimes to fuel their addiction then that's one thing, but if they're not, then I don't see what there is to do, really. We've seen ample evidence in the US that locking someone up in jail doesn't make them suddenly stop wanting to do drugs.

Let people harm themselves if it's not at the expense of others. That seems like the logical thing to do in my mind.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"] How do you get that? How does smoking pot mean you think nobody cares? And as I said to LJS: wouldn't most of us like to believe we're contributing to society? But that doesn't mean that we don't find time to do the things we enjoy doing.jalexbrown

You stated that if you sat around watching TV and smoking pot it wouldn't hurt anyone...and i stated that..that is not necessarily the case...then proceeded to give an example of what one may think if one feels that doing nothing but sitting and smoking pot whilst watching television is not hurting anyone...

And what i said had nothing to do with contributing to society...it was more directed towards family obligations and such...

So you're implying that smoking pot interferes with a person's ability to meet family obligations? Because that's a generalization - and not a very fair one at that.

No, i am not assuming anything...but you stated that if one sits and watches tv as well as smoking pot..that he isn't hurting anyone...i was merely pointing out that such a statement isn't necessarily true..and if you were stating it in regards to a single man with no ties or obligations and such you should have been more specific and said so...

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#103 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts

[QUOTE="Strider_91"]Well i wasn't aware of ALL of that to be honest.. wow.. Fair point, but there isn't a guarantee that would work everywhere.. I just don't see a problem with the law at the minute enough to make a change like that.. But that's my life, probably not the best to judge the situation with the lack of drug situations surrounding me..GabuEx

Well the biggest problem with the war on drugs is the cost. Tens of billion of dollars are spent every day to enforce criminal laws against drug use... for what? In 1979, 31% of the population reported having used drugs in the past. In 2001, that number was up to 42%. The war on drugs has been one of the biggest failures in the history of US government policy, yet people still support it just because they're scared of the alternative.

I just don't support it because i'm scared of the alternative, to be honest i don't whole heartedly support either side.. I just can't stand drugs for what i see around me of the few reactions.. the overall choice won't even affect me..

I couldn't careless about drug abusers, if they're big enough to seek help that's great.. otherwise i don't want to know..

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

as long as some crack head demands drugs the "drug war" will continue. its all about money. supply and demand.

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#105 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
Kill everyone involve with it.. well maybe thats too harsh.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#106 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

i don't see it happening until ether the goervnmet just sits back and lets people hurt them sefls or people stop taking bad drugs like crack . One thing i cant stand when durgys say " well uh lots of people do it so it should be legal" lots of rapes happen every day does that make it okay?

links136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 links136
Member since 2004 • 2400 Posts

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]Can one not do both? You're a productive member of society I'm sure, but you still find plenty of time to post on Gamespot. Why would it be any worse if you did it while smoking marijuana?LJS9502_basic

Some people lose ambition....which was what I was referring to there.

and mcdonalds makes people overweight and lazy, while destroying their health, shold it also be illegal?

links136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 links136

i don't see it happening until ether the goervnmet just sits back and lets people hurt them sefls or people stop taking bad drugs like crack . One thing i cant stand when durgys say " well uh lots of people do it so it should be legal" lots of rapes happen every day does that make it okay?

dontshackzmii

so drinking alcohol is the same as rape.... gotcha

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 jalexbrown

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

You stated that if you sat around watching TV and smoking pot it wouldn't hurt anyone...and i stated that..that is not necessarily the case...then proceeded to give an example of what one may think if one feels that doing nothing but sitting and smoking pot whilst watching television is not hurting anyone...

And what i said had nothing to do with contributing to society...it was more directed towards family obligations and such...

Xx_Hopeless_xX

So you're implying that smoking pot interferes with a person's ability to meet family obligations? Because that's a generalization - and not a very fair one at that.

No, i am not assuming anything...but you stated that if one sits and watches tv as well as smoking pot..that he isn't hurting anyone...i was merely pointing out that such a statement isn't necessarily true..and if you were stating it in regards to a single man with no ties or obligations and such you should have been more specific and said so...

I'm confused here. Are you saying that if someone has a family and smokes marijuana in their free time, that that somehow makes it harder for them to live up to family obligations?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178887 Posts

Xx_Hopeless_xX

True...doing that would harm a family that depended on the individual.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 jalexbrown

dontshackzmii
Any why shouldn't the government let people hurt themselves?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#113 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

dontshackzmii

So you're in favor of the criminalization of everything that is harmful to one's health?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]Can one not do both? You're a productive member of society I'm sure, but you still find plenty of time to post on Gamespot. Why would it be any worse if you did it while smoking marijuana?links136

Some people lose ambition....which was what I was referring to there.

and mcdonalds makes people overweight and lazy, while destroying their health, shold it also be illegal?

If you can show me where people that eat at McDonald's lose ambition.....which can be a side effect of smoking marijuana.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"] So you're implying that smoking pot interferes with a person's ability to meet family obligations? Because that's a generalization - and not a very fair one at that.jalexbrown

I'm confused here. Are you saying that if someone has a family and smokes marijuana in their free time, that that somehow makes it harder for them to live up to family obligations?

You didn't say whether or not it would be in their free time...therefore, i responded by stating that it may be detrimental to ones family life and such...

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"] So you're implying that smoking pot interferes with a person's ability to meet family obligations? Because that's a generalization - and not a very fair one at that.LJS9502_basic

True...doing that would harm a family that depended on the individual.

A lot of things depend on the individual. So the mind state I'm seeing is "Let's punish the people doing nothing wrong to stop those that are doing something wrong." The broad scope of people to which the drug laws apply is concerning to me, because there are responsible marijuana smokers despite popular opinion.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 dontshackzmii

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

jalexbrown

It's because it hurts the community as a whole when people hurt them selfs. It hurts familys it takes money from the community and so on . Gives money to some evil people .

pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 pis3rch
Member since 2006 • 1695 Posts

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

GabuEx

So you're in favor of the criminalization of everything that is harmful to one's health?

Hellz yeah I am, now back away from that keyboard with your hands behind your head! Do you have ANY idea how many dangerous bacteria flourish on that thing just so you can get cheap thrills posting online?!? :P

links136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 links136

[QUOTE="links136"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Some people lose ambition....which was what I was referring to there.

LJS9502_basic

If you can show me where people that eat at McDonald's lose ambition.....which can be a side effect of smoking marijuana.

so if anyone were to lose ambition for any reason, we should throw them in jail.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 jalexbrown

Xx_Hopeless_xX

You didn't say whether or not it would be in their free time...therefore, i responded by stating that it may be detrimental to ones family life and such...

Oh - well of course smoking pot can be detrimental to your family if you do it in certain circumstances or at certain times. I thought the assumption that they were smoking in their free time was a logical given.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 LJS9502_basic

A lot of things depend on the individual. So the mind state I'm seeing is "Let's punish the people doing nothing wrong to stop those that are doing something wrong." The broad scope of people to which the drug laws apply is concerning to me, because there are responsible marijuana smokers despite popular opinion.jalexbrown
But part of the side effects of marijuana use is lack of ambition......

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="links136"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Some people lose ambition....which was what I was referring to there.

LJS9502_basic

woah so if i eat Mcdonalds once i automatically become fat and lazy :o...better stay away from that place then!

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 jalexbrown

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

dontshackzmii

It's because it hurts the community as a whole when people hurt them selfs. It hurts familys it takes money from the community and so on . Gives money to some evil people .

So cigarettes and alcohol should be illegal as well then?
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 dontshackzmii

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

GabuEx

self medication should never be allowed . All medications should be only from a medical doctor . People don't know what they are doing to them selfs . If you went to a doctor and asked for a medication and then the doctor asks why then you said cus its fun he would never give it to you .

Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#125 Pyro767
Member since 2009 • 2305 Posts
As long as there are drugs, the drug "wars" will continue. And we can't un-invent these drugs. Though I'm sure many of us wish we could....
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"] Any why shouldn't the government let people hurt themselves?jalexbrown

This argument furthers the opinion that marijuana should stay illegal.....since you're pointing out two problems....why make a third?
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 dontshackzmii

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"] Any why shouldn't the government let people hurt themselves?jalexbrown

smoking yes i watched my grandma die a horriable death due to her smoking . alchol should only be used in small amounts . drugs like crack should NEVER end up in someones system .

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#130 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

dontshackzmii

self medication should never be allowed . All medications should be only from a medical doctor . People don't know what they are doing to them selfs . If you went to a doctor and asked for a medication and then the doctor asks why then you said cus its fun he would never give it to you .

That doesn't answer the question.

You basically said that the government should not sit back and let people hurt themselves. My question to you is this: does this mean that you're in favor of the criminalization of everything that is harmful to one's health?

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#131 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Hopefully when all drug users overdose simultaneously.
links136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 links136

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="links136"]

Xx_Hopeless_xX

woah so if i eat Mcdonalds once i automatically become fat and lazy :o...better stay away from that place then!

kinda like smoking pot automatically makes you a junkie

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 jalexbrown

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"] A lot of things depend on the individual. So the mind state I'm seeing is "Let's punish the people doing nothing wrong to stop those that are doing something wrong." The broad scope of people to which the drug laws apply is concerning to me, because there are responsible marijuana smokers despite popular opinion.LJS9502_basic

A temporary lack of ambition - not a full time, I smoked a joint so I'm going to throw my life away lack of ambition. And thus we're back to the issue of free time, because some people could argue that posting on Gamespot indicates a lack of ambition. We're beings of luxury, and we shouldn't be expected to give all of our time not spent sleeping to the better of society.
Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Strider_91
[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

No because particular substances of those two can't kill you within a use.. And they are sold legally.. drugs have god knows what in them..
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"] A lot of things depend on the individual. So the mind state I'm seeing is "Let's punish the people doing nothing wrong to stop those that are doing something wrong." The broad scope of people to which the drug laws apply is concerning to me, because there are responsible marijuana smokers despite popular opinion.jalexbrown

A temporary lack of ambition - not a full time, I smoked a joint so I'm going to throw my life away lack of ambition. And thus we're back to the issue of free time, because some people could argue that posting on Gamespot indicates a lack of ambition. We're beings of luxury, and we shouldn't be expected to give all of our time not spent sleeping to the better of society.

Some people don't stop at one. While it's not physically addicting...it is psychologically addicting.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] If you can show me where people that eat at McDonald's lose ambition.....which can be a side effect of smoking marijuana.links136

It does appear to have detrimental side effects..whilst eating mcdonalds once in awhile..has none..

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 jalexbrown

LJS9502_basic

This argument furthers the opinion that marijuana should stay illegal.....since you're pointing out two problems....why make a third?

Because we're assuming that they're "problems". I don't see a person making a conscious decision to do something detrimental to their health as a problem.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]Hopefully when all drug users overdose simultaneously.magicalclick
that's no fun. We need to sell more drugs to them for $$$$$. Can't get more $$$ if they all died.

Everyone knows drug users can't get a job and therefore have no money.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"] So cigarettes and alcohol should be illegal as well then?jalexbrown

Because we're assuming that they're "problems". I don't see a person making a conscious decision to do something detrimental to their health as a problem.

You don't? Then I hope you don't advocate for government health care....
Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#142 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10991 Posts

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] But part of the side effects of marijuana use is lack of ambition......

LJS9502_basic

Some people don't stop at one. While it's not physically addicting...it is psychologically addicting.

This is true. Constant use of marijuana will (most likely) turn you into a dreadfully lazy couch potato. The more you smoke marijuana, the more you'll want to when you are sober. I can attest to this.

I used to smoke marijuana before i had like, big boy responsibilites. I hated moving. I hated effort. But hey, at least i graduated from college. I know of plenty of people who were baked 24/7 and dropped right out of college.

Woo hoo! Sounds Totally cool.

links136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 links136

[QUOTE="links136"]

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

Xx_Hopeless_xX

It does appear to have detrimental side effects..whilst eating mcdonalds once in awhile..has none..

ever seen super size me?

and please tell me all these fatal side effects that comes from smoking pot once in a while

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 jalexbrown

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] But part of the side effects of marijuana use is lack of ambition......

LJS9502_basic

I've never met anyone that couldn't quit smoking pot the day they decided they wished to do so. Smoking pot, as a recreational thing, isn't inherently wrong. And I don't believe that if I were to smoke weed even two or three times a week that I would end up as a burn-out living in my mom's basement at thirty eating potato chips and doing nothing with my life. That is a gross generalization. The truth is that there are quite a few recreational pot smokers out there that live productive lives.

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Strider_91

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="links136"]

links136

ever seen super size me?

and please tell me all these fatal side effects that comes from smoking pot once in a while

Problems with memory and learning; Distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch) Trouble with thinking and problem-solving; Loss of coordination; and Increased heart rate, anxiety.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]This argument furthers the opinion that marijuana should stay illegal.....since you're pointing out two problems....why make a third?LJS9502_basic

You don't? Then I hope you don't advocate for government health care....

Oh no; I certainly don't want people to be able to do what they want to their health and then have the government pick up the check. That would be asinine.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 SolidSnake35
you need a job to obtain money? magicalclick
Stealing money requires intellect and is thus a semi-profession in my eyes. Said drug users have yet to show signs of having such intellect given their drug taking antics. It's likely that any money in their possession was given to them by their grandma. I think sponging money from old people is abhorrent. Shame on you.
Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#149 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10991 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"] A temporary lack of ambition - not a full time, I smoked a joint so I'm going to throw my life away lack of ambition. And thus we're back to the issue of free time, because some people could argue that posting on Gamespot indicates a lack of ambition. We're beings of luxury, and we shouldn't be expected to give all of our time not spent sleeping to the better of society.jalexbrown

I've never met anyone that couldn't quit smoking pot the day they decided they wished to do so. Smoking pot, as a recreational thing, isn't inherently wrong. And I don't believe that if I were to smoke weed even two or three times a week that I would end up as a burn-out living in my mom's basement at thirty eating potato chips and doing nothing with my life. That is a gross generalization. The truth is that there are quite a few recreational pot smokers out there that live productive lives.

2-3 times per week isn't all that much, really...

I know people who smoke 2-3 joints...every 2-3 hours...every day..

Keep in mind, i live in BC :|

sigh

pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 pis3rch
Member since 2006 • 1695 Posts

Strider_91

No because particular substances of those two can't kill you within a use.. And they are sold legally.. drugs have god knows what in them..

C'mon, you seriously aren't aware of the fact that it's really easy to drink yourse;f to death in one sitting? Of course alcohol can kill you within a use.

And if illegal drugs were sold in a regulated legal market, they wouldn't have "god knows what" in them. They'd just have the drug. I've posted this thousands of times, but i guess once more couldn't hurt....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37319358/

Ok, let's look at this article.

"Originally associated with rock stars, hippies and inner-city junkies, heroin in the 1970s was usually smuggled from Asia and the Middle East and was around 5 percent pure. The rest was "filler" such as sugar, starch, powdered milk, even brick dust. The low potency meant that many users injected the drug to maximize the effect."

"Federal agents now commonly find heroin that is 50 percent pure and sometimes as much as 80 percent pure."

Let's say you go to the liquor store and buy whatever you usually get. You go home and drink your normal doe, and everything is fine and dandy because when you go to a store and get alcohol that claims to be 40 proof, it's 40 proof.

Now let's say you're going to pick up a stamp or two of heroin. You get it from a sketchy dealer in an alley, who like all others says his is "the good ****" and all that. You shrug this off as typical dealer BS, and proceed to go home and shoot up your normal dose. Unfortunately, you're used to weak heroin, and this guy actually had "the good ****." His was twice as pure as you expected, and you OD and die.

Do you see how, in a way, making the drug illegal is actually causing harm? Some form of regulation could reduce overdoses caused in such a way. It won't stop people from simply doing too much at once, but there really isn't a way to prevent that.. you'd have to make stupidity illegal :P