Will the drug wars ever stop?

• 196 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrEnvelope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MrEnvelope
Member since 2007 • 2424 Posts

In my honest humble opinion, I believe the only way to stop this problem is by legalizing the drugs. Seriously, the anti-drug laws and plans to stop it have only increased the amount of violence and police bribing and in no way have they decreased the amount of drug addicts. I believe that a reason why people get into drugs is because they are illegal and young people are said not to use them (something that encourages most to try them). So, what can you say about this topic? :)

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

No of course not. The problem is calling it a drug 'war' though. It's not a war. It's just another crime we try to prevent.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
That would be taking money away from the criminal underworld...we can't have that :[
Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
I don't believe giving into a law because of "trouble" will solve anything.. I think the law should stand..
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

i don't think it will ever stop.

btw, legalize it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Opium was legal for decades and it nearly destroyed China and several other countries. Simply legalizing drugs is not a sensible solution.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
No, governments will never eliminate illegal drug use unless none of it is illegal. I agree with you partially, but I don't think people just sit around looking for something illegal to do when they turn to drugs.
MrEnvelope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrEnvelope
Member since 2007 • 2424 Posts

Opium was legal for decades and it nearly destroyed China and several other countries. Simply legalizing drugs is not a sensible solution.

sonicare
Well, what can be done? It seems that there is no solution to this growing problem that might actually work.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pirate700

sonicare

Yeah I hate that legalize everything crap. Why don't we legalize robberies, B&Es, pirating, speeding, etc. so we don't have to spend money on that either. Calling it a 'war' was the worst move law enforcement ever made on the matter.

Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
When we secure the drug's surrender.
Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Strider_91
Oh.. genius strike's.. Hear me out.. we add even more dangerous drugs into the one's being sold, literally "killing" the drug trade?
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pirate700

Oh.. genius strike's.. Hear me out.. we add even more dangerous drugs into the one's being sold, literally "killing" the drug trade?Strider_91
You could introduce pure cyanide as a drug and it wouldn't stop anything. People that want to use drugs are going to do it. It's the same reason why people keep breaking into homes even though they know there's a good chance they're going to be shot. People that commit crimes don't care. They're too stupid.

x8VXU6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 x8VXU6
Member since 2008 • 3411 Posts

NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Strider_91

[QUOTE="Strider_91"]Oh.. genius strike's.. Hear me out.. we add even more dangerous drugs into the one's being sold, literally "killing" the drug trade?Pirate700

You could introduce pure cionide as a drug and it wouldn't stop anything. People that want to use drugs are going to do it. It's the same reason why people keep breaking into homes even though they know there's a good chance they're going to be shot. People that commit crimes don't care. They're too stupid.

Always a flaw in my plans.. :lol:
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Hasn't Obama already said that they will be dismantling the War on Drugs program?
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 needled24-7

[QUOTE="Strider_91"]Oh.. genius strike's.. Hear me out.. we add even more dangerous drugs into the one's being sold, literally "killing" the drug trade?Pirate700

You could introduce pure cyanide as a drug and it wouldn't stop anything. People that want to use drugs are going to do it. It's the same reason why people keep breaking into homes even though they know there's a good chance they're going to be shot. People that commit crimes don't care. They're too stupid.

aw come on, i wouldn't say they're too stupid.. would i be stupid for wanting to do marijuana? :P

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 needled24-7

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Strider_91"]Oh.. genius strike's.. Hear me out.. we add even more dangerous drugs into the one's being sold, literally "killing" the drug trade?Strider_91

You could introduce pure cionide as a drug and it wouldn't stop anything. People that want to use drugs are going to do it. It's the same reason why people keep breaking into homes even though they know there's a good chance they're going to be shot. People that commit crimes don't care. They're too stupid.

at first i thought you said there was a flaw in your pants >_>

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Strider_91

[QUOTE="Strider_91"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]You could introduce pure cionide as a drug and it wouldn't stop anything. People that want to use drugs are going to do it. It's the same reason why people keep breaking into homes even though they know there's a good chance they're going to be shot. People that commit crimes don't care. They're too stupid.

needled24-7

at first i thought you said there was a flaw in your pants >_>

Also a result of drugs.. pant flaws ;)
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

As soon as the US realizes that some European countries are doing a much better job of dealing with drugs.

Which is to say, no, never. :P

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
How about we introduce something into the water that prevents people from getting high from illegal drugs. You can't feel the effects, there's no point in the drugs, there's no point in selling them, there's no point in producing them anymore. Problem solved as far as drugs go.
pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pis3rch
Member since 2006 • 1695 Posts

As soon as the US realizes that some European countries are doing a much better job of dealing with drugs.

Which is to say, no, never. :P

GabuEx
Haha pretty much this. In a perfect world, people would realise that you cannot fight a public health issue with criminal charges and swat teams. Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world....
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pirate700

How about we introduce something into the water that prevents people from getting high from illegal drugs. You can't feel the effects, there's no point in the drugs, there's no point in selling them, there's no point in producing them anymore. Problem solved as far as drugs go.CRS98
You would still have the physical addiction.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

Pirate700

Yeah I hate that legalize everything crap. Why don't we legalize robberies, B&Es, pirating, speeding, etc. so we don't have to spend money on that either. Calling it a 'war' was the worst move law enforcement ever made on the matter.

I think it's mosly those that want/do use that want legalization.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
I would legalize and regulate the use of many of these drugs. But hey, that's just me.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

LJS9502_basic

I think it's mosly those that want/do use that want legalization.

Trust me man, I know. ;)

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
I don't see it ever ending, and it's a huge waste of money (and lives). It's silly to me why it's criminalized, and why the U.S. government cares so much about these drugs on the international scale.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic
I don't see it ever ending, and it's a huge waste of money (and lives). It's silly to me why it's criminalized, and why the U.S. government cares so much about these drugs on the international scale. -Sun_Tzu-
International scale? When have we made law in other countries. Nonetheless, drugs are not a benefit to society.
ShAbInAtOr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 ShAbInAtOr
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts

The answer to that question would be: No way, as long as people use drugs and as long as their's a system of justice and cultural ethics in the world, nothing of that sort will stop. If the world ended and a new one started there still will be drug wars, as long as their is this thing called "drug" there will be "drug" wars!

Plzhelpmelearn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Plzhelpmelearn
Member since 2010 • 1270 Posts

as long as drugs are illegal and they still feel good then it will continue...

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]I don't see it ever ending, and it's a huge waste of money (and lives). It's silly to me why it's criminalized, and why the U.S. government cares so much about these drugs on the international scale. LJS9502_basic
International scale? When have we made law in other countries. Nonetheless, drugs are not a benefit to society.

We've conducted military operations in other countries all the time in the name of the "war on drugs". As for drugs not being beneficial to society - so what? Lot's of things aren't beneficial to society; that fact alone doesn't warrant the criminalization of that thing.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]I don't see it ever ending, and it's a huge waste of money (and lives). It's silly to me why it's criminalized, and why the U.S. government cares so much about these drugs on the international scale. -Sun_Tzu-

We've conducted military operations in other countries all the time in the name of the "war on drugs". As for drugs not being beneficial to society - so what? Lot's of things aren't beneficial to society; that fact alone doesn't warrant the criminalization of that thing.

I expect you haven't first hand experience with severe drug problems?
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Is there something that makes cigarette above drugs? (other than the power of tobacco companies)

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] International scale? When have we made law in other countries. Nonetheless, drugs are not a benefit to society.

No, unfortunately I do have first hand experience - I've had very good friends drop out of school because of drugs and have watched relatives destroy their lives and hurt the people who care about them, but I don't look at these people as criminals just because they have a drug problem. I'm fine with most recreational drugs being illegal, but I'm not fine with it being a criminal act to use these drugs.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

As long as there is demand they won't stop...

And whose to say people won't still buy drugs off the street if drugs are legalized...street sellers would probably just sell their drugs for less then pharmacies..

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Strider_91
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] We've conducted military operations in other countries all the time in the name of the "war on drugs". As for drugs not being beneficial to society - so what? Lot's of things aren't beneficial to society; that fact alone doesn't warrant the criminalization of that thing.

No, unfortunately I do have first hand experience - I've had very good friends drop out of school because of drugs and have watched relatives destroy their lives and hurt the people who care about them, but I don't look at these people as criminals just because they have a drug problem. I'm fine with most recreational drugs being illegal, but I'm not fine with it being a criminal act to use these drugs.

I only see problems caused by drugs, none helped or resolved.. I think they belong criminalized..
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="Strider_91"] I only see problems caused by drugs, none helped or resolved..

Which is why I'm fine with it being illegal. But I'm very troubled by the notion that putting something in your own body is a criminal act.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] We've conducted military operations in other countries all the time in the name of the "war on drugs". As for drugs not being beneficial to society - so what? Lot's of things aren't beneficial to society; that fact alone doesn't warrant the criminalization of that thing.

It's a slippery slope toward legalization. And when they first use...they are not addicts with a problem but someone choosing to break the law. Plus, they tend to get involved in other crimes to feed the habit. Which I'd not like to see increase due to legality.
pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pis3rch
[QUOTE="Strider_91"] I only see problems caused by drugs, none helped or resolved.. I think they belong criminalized..

So if someone is a heroin addict or whatever kind of drug user, they should be arrested? Do you honestly think that giving someone a criminal record and throwing them in with murderers and rapists is in any way going to help them with their drug problem? Once you get slapped with drug charges, it's difficult to get a job and it seems much easier to get back into the cycle of buying, selling, and using drugs constantly. I'm not here to argue that hard drugs are good in any way, but I cannot understand how criminalization solves anything at all.
Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Strider_91
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="Strider_91"] I only see problems caused by drugs, none helped or resolved..

Which is why I'm fine with it being illegal. But I'm very troubled by the notion that putting something in your own body is a criminal act.

Ahh, i misunderstood your point.. I suppose i agree with.. If you want to do it to yourself, do it.. At the same time, if others have to be around it i start to have a problem with it again.. I'm fine with the law the minute i think.. It should be a criminal act to use the substances.. (I'm all over the place) :lol:
Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Strider_91
[QUOTE="pis3rch"][QUOTE="Strider_91"] I only see problems caused by drugs, none helped or resolved.. I think they belong criminalized..

So if someone is a heroin addict or whatever kind of drug user, they should be arrested? Do you honestly think that giving someone a criminal record and throwing them in with murderers and rapists is in any way going to help them with their drug problem? Once you get slapped with drug charges, it's difficult to get a job and it seems much easier to get back into the cycle of buying, selling, and using drugs constantly. I'm not here to argue that hard drugs are good in any way, but I cannot understand how criminalization solves anything at all.

But the people becoming addicts are making that choice, i know not always but they're always exceptions.. There's no way to be fair to both groups though.. and for the most part they're doing it to themselves..
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Strider_91"][QUOTE="pis3rch"][QUOTE="Strider_91"] I only see problems caused by drugs, none helped or resolved.. I think they belong criminalized..

But the people becoming addicts are making that choice, i know not always but they're always exceptions.. There's no way to be fair to both groups though.. and for the most part they're doing it to themselves..

They made the choice before they were addicts....so yes, it's a choice.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I expect you haven't first hand experience with severe drug problems?

It's a slippery slope toward legalization. And when they first use...they are not addicts with a problem but someone choosing to break the law. Plus, they tend to get involved in other crimes to feed the habit. Which I'd not like to see increase due to legality.

How is it a slippery slope? There's nothing intrinsic about decriminalization that would make drug legalization inevitable. If there is a consensus that drug use is something that should be stifled (which there is), legalization isn't gonna happen any time soon.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] No, unfortunately I do have first hand experience - I've had very good friends drop out of school because of drugs and have watched relatives destroy their lives and hurt the people who care about them, but I don't look at these people as criminals just because they have a drug problem. I'm fine with most recreational drugs being illegal, but I'm not fine with it being a criminal act to use these drugs.

How is it a slippery slope? There's nothing intrinsic about decriminalization that would make drug legalization inevitable. If there is a consensus that drug use is something that should be stifled (which there is), legalization isn't gonna happen any time soon.

Soon was not my concern. And it's illegal, should remain so, and those that choose to use it should be prosecuted.
pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 pis3rch

[QUOTE="pis3rch"][QUOTE="Strider_91"] I only see problems caused by drugs, none helped or resolved.. I think they belong criminalized..Strider_91

I don't really see your point.....I know it's a choice. A heroin addict damages their own body, wastes their own money, and may resort to stealing from others by making that choice. As a society, should we add on to that damage by imprisoning them and making it more difficult to clean up and become productive citizens? Personally, if my tax dollars are going to be spent on "solving" the drug problem I'd choose to finance rehab and therapy over imprisonment and the DEA. We're wasting billions on this, it's time to accept the fact that it doesn't work and, like Europe, move towards a different approach to the drug problem.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts

[QUOTE="CRS98"]How about we introduce something into the water that prevents people from getting high from illegal drugs. You can't feel the effects, there's no point in the drugs, there's no point in selling them, there's no point in producing them anymore. Problem solved as far as drugs go.Pirate700

You would still have the physical addiction.

I may have worded that less than intended, but that doesn't mean it isn't obvious of what I'm saying: This "product" introduced into the water prevents highness and addiction, thus virtually ending drug problems and drug deals.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LJS9502_basic

I don't really see your point.....I know it's a choice. A heroin addict damages their own body and wastes their own money by making that choice. As a society, should we add on to that damage by imprisoning them and making it more difficult to clean up and become productive citizens? Personally, if my tax dollars are going to be spent on "solving" the drug problem I'd choose to finance rehab and therapy over imprisonment and the DEA. We're wasting billions on this, it's time to accept the fact that it doesn't work and, like Europe, move towards a different approach to the drug problem. pis3rch
Bolded about is not true. One thing addict do to feed their habit is steal. Yeah if you're mega wealthy you might be able to waste your own money...not all addicts are wealthy or able to hold down a job.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#49 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I only see problems caused by drugs, none helped or resolved.. I think they belong criminalized..Strider_91

That drugs are harmful to their user is really not a good reason in my view for why their possession and personal use should be a criminal offense. That just makes no sense to me. Someone who is addicted to drugs is someone with a medical problem, not a criminal. Switzerland started a test program a while back in which they prescribed heroin to longtime addicts, and it was so successful that even its original opponents now support it. There has proven to be no black market for prescribed heroin; the health of addicts in the program has gone way up; and the number of new addicts has dropped, as heroin is now seen as a medical problem rather than a way to rebel. In 2008 Swiss voters overwhelmingly approved the continuation of the program due to its success. But I highly doubt that something like this would ever be approved in the US because of just that mentality: even though the "war on drugs" has produced basically no positive results, people are still convinced that it's the best option, even despite mounting evidence to the contrary.

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Strider_91
[QUOTE="pis3rch"][QUOTE="Strider_91"][QUOTE="pis3rch"] So if someone is a heroin addict or whatever kind of drug user, they should be arrested? Do you honestly think that giving someone a criminal record and throwing them in with murderers and rapists is in any way going to help them with their drug problem? Once you get slapped with drug charges, it's difficult to get a job and it seems much easier to get back into the cycle of buying, selling, and using drugs constantly. I'm not here to argue that hard drugs are good in any way, but I cannot understand how criminalization solves anything at all.

I don't really see your point.....I know it's a choice. A heroin addict damages their own body and wastes their own money by making that choice. As a society, should we add on to that damage by imprisoning them and making it more difficult to clean up and become productive citizens? Personally, if my tax dollars are going to be spent on "solving" the drug problem I'd choose to finance rehab and therapy over imprisonment and the DEA. We're wasting billions on this, it's time to accept the fact that it doesn't work and, like Europe, move towards a different approach to the drug problem.

I thought my view was clear.. Abuse drugs and you deserve whatever consequences that are given to you.. the lucky one's will get rehab.. but for those not willing.. there is jail.. and death.