Why is Smirnoff Ice considered a "women's drink"?

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

because it's made for people who cannot handle the taste of alcohol, predominantly women.

Avatar image for Zombiekiller360
Zombiekiller360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Zombiekiller360
Member since 2006 • 389 Posts

Girl drink is a girl drink

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#53  Edited By shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts

Because men drink straight vodka duhh. I don't really care I don't judge although the only time I see guys drinking Smirnoff Ice is when there is no other drink available personally.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

In those days, women drank the same liquor men did, and got just as drunk.

Avatar image for michael_1234576
michael_1234576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 michael_1234576
Member since 2004 • 8621 Posts

Ill drink what I want don"t really care if its considered a "womans drink"

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

I don't believe in women drinks. You can put an umbrella in a straight shot of Tequilla, a drink is still a drink. I'd like to see some tough guy down 10 shots of that with an umbrella and call it a women drink. He'll be trying to count the umbrellas after that, lol ..

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I rarely drink, but when I do, I don't let the opinion of others and what gender they think a drink is for effect what I purchase. If I am in the mood for smirnoff ice, the smirnoff ice it is. Only insecure people care about crap like this.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

Although I believe Smirnoff is the most disgusting liquid ever manufactured and sold in bottles, I do agree with the fact that it's kind of odd that people consider it exclusive to women. Hm.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

I wouldn't drink a lot of it in the same way I wouldn't binge on coke or pepsi.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

@destinhpark said:

Although I believe Smirnoff is the most disgusting liquid ever manufactured and sold in bottles, I do agree with the fact that it's kind of odd that people consider it exclusive to women. Hm.

Smirnoff Vodka and Smirnoff Ice are two different drinks, at least in the US. One is an alcohol distilled from potatoes and the other is brewed from malt, one of the ingredients in beer.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts

Cause it's delicious!

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

@WhiteKnight77 said:

@destinhpark said:

Smirnoff Vodka and Smirnoff Ice are two different drinks, at least in the US. One is an alcohol distilled from potatoes and the other is brewed from malt, one of the ingredients in beer.

Yeah I'm aware of that, sorry, but I was referring to Ice, the sweet gross skittle soda crap.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
@Brain_Duster said:

@lightleggy said:

it turns out smirnoff ice has more alcohol than a beer.

Duh, really?

No it doesn't... It's only 5%.
Beer is 8%.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:
@Brain_Duster said:

@lightleggy said:

Duh, really?

Beer is 8%.

most beers are below 5%

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
@toast_burner said:

@Nibroc420 said:
@Brain_Duster said:

@lightleggy said:

Duh, really?

Beer is 8%.

most beers are below 5%

Light beers?

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#68  Edited By TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

I laugh at social norms. As if I need to proof some masculinity or something, I'm not that insecure lol.

If it has a bright color and is decorated with fruit or a parassol, there's a big chance I really like it.
Cocktails galore yay!

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
@lightleggy said:

@Shottayouth13- said:

Because it's practically soda.

Did you read the part where I said it has more alcohol than a beer? A person who drinks 5 smirnoffs without getting drunk has more alcohol tolerance than a person who drinks 5 beers.

So who cares how it tastes? you get drunk way faster, not to mention the taste helps you drink it fast, I hate to go drinking with friends because it literally takes them 40 minutes to finish their drink, when im done in 10.

Still tastes like soda. Man up and drink real shit. :P

On a real though, I've never heard Smirnoff Ice being called a woman drink before and I personally don't have a problem with it. And it tastes way better than beer too.

thecrypticodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#70 thecrypticodor
Member since 2012 • 240 Posts

Anything that's not either Bourbon or Scotch whiskey is a womans drink.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

My sister can down 6 shots of tequila, 3 shots of shnaps and then go for a few drinks at the bar and remember the events of the evening. I'm usually good after a few jack and cokes. The idea of women's drinks is ridiculous.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

because its delicious, try to tell me something is a womans drink.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

I don't care what people think, I just drink it because I like it.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Most women (including my wife) I know like different drinks then the men I know...looking at what men/women drink in the dozens of bars I've been to it seems to be the same. That doesn't mean a dude can't drink whats considered a girly drink and vice-versa. Social norms are just that, if you don't fall into one I don't think it's a big deal.

Personally I think the stuff tastes awful and it has much less alcohol than the beers I typically drink (usually in the 7%-9% range).

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@Renevent42 said:

Most women (including my wife) I know like different drinks then the men I know...looking at what men/women drink in the dozens of bars I've been to it seems to be the same. That doesn't mean a dude can't drink whats considered a girly drink and vice-versa. Social norms are just that, if you don't fall into one I don't think it's a big deal.

Personally I think the stuff tastes awful and it has much less alcohol than the beers I typically drink (usually in the 7%-9% range).

Beer isn't really hard hitting in the alcohol department either. Though with the infusion of flavored alcohol....guys drink just as much "girly" drinks if not more than girls do now.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Renevent42

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Renevent42 said:

Beer isn't really hard hitting in the alcohol department either. Though with the infusion of flavored alcohol....guys drink just as much "girly" drinks if not more than girls do now.

9% beer will get you drunk pretty quick IMO...though obviously not as fast as hard liquor. Regarding your second statement, based on what I've seen in bars I don't agree with that. I suppose social norms vary from place to place though.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@lightleggy said:

I dont get it, if somebody ask you if you like to drink, you can't say "Not much, a smirnoff once in a while" because they'll call you by a lot of homophobic nicknames. "Smirnoff is a girl's drink!".

At first I thought it was because it wasn't much of an alcoholic drink, but then I read on some stuff and it turns out smirnoff ice has more alcohol than a beer.

So it has more alcohol, thus its easier to get drunk, and it has a decent taste, its like taking away everything wrong with the beer and just leaving the good stuff.

So people really think that you're a "girl" if you drink it because it doesn't tastes like sht?

Beer tastes delicious
When you're old enough to drink
Feel free to offer your opinion again

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Renevent42 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Renevent42 said:

9% beer will get you drunk pretty quick IMO...though obviously not as fast as hard liquor. Regarding your second statement, based on what I've seen in bars I don't agree with that. I suppose social norms vary from place to place though.

It will get your drunk pretty quickly if you're a lightweight. I don't agree with your earlier statement. Around here I see women drinking beer....which you apparently consider manly....vodka....whiskey etc. And I know guys you like the sweet drinks. It's idiotic to make drinking gender specific.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Renevent42

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Renevent42 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Renevent42 said:

It will get your drunk pretty quickly if you're a lightweight. I don't agree with your earlier statement. Around here I see women drinking beer....which you apparently consider manly....vodka....whiskey etc. And I know guys you like the sweet drinks. It's idiotic to make drinking gender specific.

Well not sure what kind of alcoholic you are, but 3-4 9% beers will def get me pretty buzzed. That equivalent to about 6-7 shots of vodka. Also, I never said I consider drinking beers manly. I'm more referring to stuff like Smirnoff Ice and other drinks like it that are seen as more "girly" drinks. I was simply commenting on the social perceptions of said drinks and what I've observed with the people I know and what I've observed over many years hanging out in bars. There is a social stigma around stuff like that right or wrong. I personally don't care if a dude has a Smirnoff Ice (like I said above), but I definitely know of the stereotype and from what I've seen it's def a drink I've seen girls drink waaaaaaay more often then boys.

Maybe you hang with different types of people, that's fine.

I'll ask my wife if she's noticed this stuff though, she bar tended for 10 years wonder if she noticed if the perception that men/women typically stick to certain drinks or if there is no merit at all to it.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
@ferrari2001 said:

Social norms. You may not agree with them but they exist.

This. It sometimes feels like you guys have never been in the real world before.

@Flubbbs said:

all fruity drinks are women drinks

@KHAndAnime said:

Sweet or easy drinks are considered girly drinks. You really didn't know that? There are only few exceptions (maybe hard cider isn't too scoffed at...)

@Shottayouth13- said:

Because it's practically soda.

These too. That's just life. You shouldn't be hardcore insulted for ordering one but a little razzing or comical response is to be expected.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Renevent42 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Well not sure what kind of alcoholic you are, but 3-4 9% beers will def get me pretty buzzed. That equivalent to about 6-7 shots of vodka. Also, I never said I consider drinking beers manly. I'm more referring to stuff like Smirnoff Ice and other drinks like it that are seen as more "girly" drinks. I was simply commenting on the social perceptions of said drinks and what I've observed with the people I know and what I've observed over many years hanging out in bars. There is a social stigma around stuff like that right or wrong. I personally don't care if a dude has a Smirnoff Ice (like I said above), but I definitely know of the stereotype and from what I've seen it's def a drink I've seen girls drink waaaaaaay more often then boys.

I'll ask my wife if she's noticed this stuff though, she bar tended for 10 years wonder if she noticed if the perception that men/women typically stick to certain drinks or if there is no merit at all to it.

3-4? Lightweight man. I'm not an alcoholic but something as weak as beer isn't going to get me drunk at that few drinks. And 3-4 beer equivalent to 6-7 vodka shots? Uh no. You do know there is more alcohol in vodka? It's unrealistic to think less beer does more than double the vodka.

Anyway I'm not sure about where you are but around here I've never heard Smirnoff Ice called a woman's drink.

And considering I've seen both sexes drink what apparently OT considers gender inappropriate....I'm just going to say this.....no drink belongs to one sex. There is no right or wrong. Drink what you like. But don't stereotype people. That the purview of the ignorant.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Renevent42

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Renevent42 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

3-4? Lightweight man. I'm not an alcoholic but something as weak as beer isn't going to get me drunk at that few drinks. And 3-4 beer equivalent to 6-7 vodka shots? Uh no. You do know there is more alcohol in vodka? It's unrealistic to think less beer does more than double the vodka.

Anyway I'm not sure about where you are but around here I've never heard Smirnoff Ice called a woman's drink.

And considering I've seen both sexes drink what apparently OT considers gender inappropriate....I'm just going to say this.....no drink belongs to one sex. There is no right or wrong. Drink what you like. But don't stereotype people. That the purview of the ignorant.

I find it kinda funny that earlier you (wrongly, mind you) trying to imply that I making beer out to be manly and how the idea of girly drinks stereotypes are wrong, and here you are doing the whole lightweight thing lol.

I also do realize that vodka has more alcohol...but I also know the ratios. 1 beer = 1 glass of wine = 1 shot of liquor. That's one normal beer too, so a beer that has nearly twice the normal beer alcohol content will obviously be a bit stronger ratio wise.

Drinking 4 beers at 9% weighing 200lbs over an hour and a half shows my BAC is def in the drunk zone:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/bac.htm

So that would be .147 BAC...that def buzzed...and if that doesn't get you buzzed you might have a drinking problem (or maybe are very fat or something).

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online

@Renevent42 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Renevent42 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

I find it kinda funny that earlier you (wrongly, mind you) trying to imply that I making beer out to be manly and how the idea of girly drinks stereotypes are wrong, and here you are doing the whole lightweight thing lol.

I also do realize that vodka has more alcohol...but I also know the ratios. 1 beer = 1 glass of wine = 1 shot of liquor. That's one normal beer too, so a beer that has nearly twice the normal beer alcohol content will obviously be a bit stronger ratio wise.

Drinking 4 beers at 9% weighing 200lbs over an hour and a half shows my BAC is def in the drunk zone:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/bac.htm

So that would be .147 BAC...that def buzzed...and if that doesn't get you buzzed you might have a drinking problem (or maybe are very fat or something).

Do the math. You are contradicting yourself right here. You said 3 beer is more than 6 vodka. Your math doesn't add up. And yes....someone that gets drunk on three or four beers IS a lightweight.

As for the manly comment...I was not wrong. I was talking about this thread. Thought to be fair you DID define drinks based solely on gender.

Edit? BAC is a legal construct for driving while impaired. It in no way means one is either drunk or not drunk. It isn't even a concern of the law. But FYI those that have been drinking longer are generally able to drink more before they are intoxicated than one who does not.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Renevent42

I did the math, maybe you should:

http://rethinkingdrinking.niaaa.nih.gov/toolsresources/DrinkSizeCalculator.asp

48 fl/oz (4 beers) of 9% beer is equivalent to 7.8 drinks. The equivalent for 40% liquor is 12 fl/oz which is about 7-8 shots (1.5 fl/oz each).

You can do the same thing on the other link I posted which will show you the same BAC as well for the same ratios.

Also, I never defined drinks "soley on gender"...I said what I liked, said I didn't like the taste of Smirnoff Ice, and noted what I've have observed from my friends/going to bars and noted that I didn't care what people ultimately chose to drink.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Renevent42 said:

48 fl/oz (4 beers) of 9% beer is equivalent to 7.8 drinks. The equivalent for 40% liquor is 12 fl/oz which is about 7-8 shots (1.5 fl/oz each).

You can do the same thing on the other link I posted which will show you the same BAC as well for the same ratios.

Every time I've read BAC.....again not a gauge of intoxication....but a legal decision on what is considered impaired...it's one drink of wine, one beer, one shot....being equal. NOT doubling the shots.

I don't think that link shows you what you think it does by the way.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Renevent42

LOL...you're just being obtuse at this point. Both links show that 48oz of 9% beer is equivalent to 6-7 shots of 40% liquor...both in what it will make your BAC and how many drinks it would be considered for you to have. You can also do the math straight up:

48oz * 9% = 4.32 oz alcohol

12oz * 40% = 4.8 oz alcohol

Drinking 4 12oz beers with 9% alcohol is roughly equivalent to drinking 6-7 shots of 40% liquor.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:

@Renevent42 said:

Every time I've read BAC.....again not a gauge of intoxication....but a legal decision on what is considered impaired...it's one drink of wine, one beer, one shot....being equal. NOT doubling the shots.

I don't think that link shows you what you think it does by the way.

Usually, that is roughly correct, but 9% ABV beers contains twice the alcohol that the average beer does, so basically one beer would be equivalent to two shots.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Renevent42 said:

LOL...you're just being obtuse at this point. Both links show that 48oz of 9% beer is equivalent to 6-7 shots of 40% liquor...both in what it will make your BAC and how many drinks it would be considered for you to have. You can also do the math straight up:

Drinking 4 12oz beers with 9% alcohol is roughly equivalent to drinking 6-7 shots of 40% liquor.

You do know there is fast rule for BAC as it varies by individual?

Any way this is the breakdown of what equals what....12 ounce bottle of beer = 1.5 oz shot = 5 oz glass of wine

That was a copy paste by the way.....and it's the same thing I've seen whenever dealing with this topic. I have never seen....nor have you demonstrated that beer is stronger than liquor.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Renevent42

Dude, just stop. The FACT is the amount of alcohol one would intake by drinking 4 beers with 9% alcohol is equivalent to drinking 6-7 shots of 80 proof liquor. You are wrong on the facts.

"nor have you demonstrated that beer is stronger than liquor."

What? Where am trying to say that?

"12 ounce bottle of beer = 1.5 oz shot = 5 oz glass of wine"

LOL...you do realize that formula is made with typical beer, which is 5% not 9% right? That's why I broke out the calculators as stronger beers have, yup, more alcohol and the ratio would have to be adjusted.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online

@Renevent42 said:

Dude, just stop. The FACT is the amount of alcohol one would intake by drinking 4 beers with 9% alcohol is equivalent to drinking 6-7 shots of 80 proof liquor. You are wrong on the facts.

More copy/paste for you.....

You can measure your BAC just 15 minutes after you consume your first drink, and, according to conventional wisdom, your BAC level will remain within safe limits if you consume only one “standard” drink per hour. A standard drink is defined by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) as half an ounce of alcohol (e.g., one 12 oz. beer, one 5 oz. glass of wine, or one 1.5 oz. shot of distilled spirits).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Renevent42 said:

You do know there is fast rule for BAC as it varies by individual?

Any way this is the breakdown of what equals what....12 ounce bottle of beer = 1.5 oz shot = 5 oz glass of wine

That was a copy paste by the way.....and it's the same thing I've seen whenever dealing with this topic. I have never seen....nor have you demonstrated that beer is stronger than liquor.

You realise that the numbers you posted show that 48oz of beer is the equivalent of 6 shots, right? Which is exactly what he said.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Renevent42

Jeebus...I give up lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Renevent42 said:

You can measure your BAC just 15 minutes after you consume your first drink, and, according to conventional wisdom, your BAC level will remain within safe limits if you consume only one “standard” drink per hour. A standard drink is defined by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) as half an ounce of alcohol (e.g., one 12 oz. beer, one 5 oz. glass of wine, or one 1.5 oz. shot of distilled spirits).

Are you even reading his posts?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 LJS9502_basic  Online

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Renevent42 said:

Yes. And he keeps telling me I'm wrong on that. So I'm giving him some facts. When are you getting an avatar back?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Renevent42

You are wrong, I have proven it with the actual numbers. 4 beers at 9% is equivalent to 6-7 shots of 80 proof liquor. This is a fact.

eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 eggdog1234
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts

@Renevent42 said:

Jeebus...I give up lol.

Get this guy a Chimay Blue, on the house.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@LJS9502_basic said:

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Renevent42 said:

Yes. And he keeps telling me I'm wrong on that. So I'm giving him some facts. When are you getting an avatar back?

He said 48oz of beer = 6 shots

The numbers you posted support that. Don't believe me? Lets do the maths;

48/12 = 4

1.5*4 = 6

So 4 bottles equals six shots.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online

@Renevent42 said:

You are wrong, I have proven it the actual numbers. 4 beers at 9% is equivalent to 6-7 shots of 80 proof liquor. This is a fact.

LOL (miss emoticons)......one on one basis to start with....for BAC. That does not mean you aren't a lightweight if you get intoxicated...or buzzed as you said on only three or four beer.

And it would be 8 1.5 ounces of liquor to the 8 beers.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Renevent42

@eggdog1234 said:

@Renevent42 said:

Jeebus...I give up lol.

That would be lovely :)

eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 eggdog1234
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts

@Renevent42 said:

@eggdog1234 said:

@Renevent42 said:

Jeebus...I give up lol.

That would be lovely :)

And grab 3 for LJ so we can turn this thread around.