Why is Smirnoff Ice considered a "women's drink"?

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Because people are dumb. Men especially.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152  Edited By Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

@lostrib:

What makes me an elitest? The fact that I take pride in my alcoholic beverages, understand them, appreciate them and respect them? Perhaps if more people had the mindset of a true beer or whiskey drinker, alcoholism wouldn't be a serious problem and people wouldn't abuse. That's not the case though and everything people know about alcohol comes from ignorant pop culture and corporate marketing.

The topic is about Smirnoff Ice being a girly drink. Realistically though, what mainstream beverage or brand isn't a girly drink? I already said about prohibition and women being the reason American Adjunct Lager was born (Budweiser, Miller, etc). Somewhere down the line, marketing made them men's drinks. Its even worse with liquor now days. How many fruity vodkas and rums can they make? Sadly this fruity girl trend has moved to whiskey now as well as fake craft beer. Here's an idea. Let's create a generic Belgian White Ale and make it as fruity as possible with a slice of orange. The ladies will go nuts and since its beer, men will drink it too.

picklesurprise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#153  Edited By picklesurprise
Member since 2013 • 185 Posts

Fruity shit like that makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Only bitches get sick to their stomach. I'm a man dammit.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

@Murderstyle75 said:

@lostrib:

What makes me an elitest? The fact that I take pride in my alcoholic beverages, understand them, appreciate them and respect them? Perhaps if more people had the mindset of a true beer or whiskey drinker, alcoholism wouldn't be a serious problem and people wouldn't abuse. That's not the case though and everything people know about alcohol comes from ignorant pop culture and corporate marketing.

The topic is about Smirnoff Ice being a girly drink. Realistically though, what mainstream beverage or brand isn't a girly drink? I already said about prohibition and women being the reason American Adjunct Lager was born (Budweiser, Miller, etc). Somewhere down the line, marketing made them men's drinks. Its even worse with liquor now days. How many fruity vodkas and rums can they make? Sadly this fruity girl trend has moved to whiskey now as well as fake craft beer. Here's an idea. Let's create a generic Belgian White Ale and make it as fruity as possible with a slice of orange. The ladies will go nuts and since its beer, men will drink it too.

More gender stereotyping. It's hard to take someone seriously when they define alcohol as sex specific. Also....your constant arrogance over popular brands makes you an elitist since you asked.

ExtremePhobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#155  Edited By ExtremePhobia
Member since 2008 • 349 Posts

@LJS9502_basic:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@ExtremePhobia said:

@lightleggy: Sweet drinks are girly drinks. That's pretty much what it comes down to. Beer and hard liquors are not girly drinks and they don't inherently taste bad. Generally the difference (in this case) is that men drink something for the experience of drinking it while women are just trying to get drink and act like they're on Sex and the City. Wine IS a relatively sweet drink but it's something that both men and women drink for the experience (or to unwind) and isn't considered a girly drink. Anybody with a respect for alcohol will tell you that you should taste the alcohol or you're not doing it right.

Which is all well and good. The occasions when I do really want to get drunk, there's nothing quite like a (sweet) Grateful Dead or Alabama Slammer. About 3 shots each and it goes down like water.

If you wake up and step outside into the real world....you'll find out girls don't all drink sweet drinks and some guys do. Stop making alcohol a girl/guy thing. It's not.

Gee... sorry, I thought he was asking a question! My bad for answering. Thanks for the news flash! I thought beer bottles came with dicks attached so that you knew they were "just for men!" Wait... didn't the last line say that I like sweet drinks?

Sorry to burst your bubble of "who you think I am" but if you actually read my post... Gee,Not only that but I made it a point to inform our dear friend that the alcohol isn't what makes it a girly drink, it's the people who drink it which tend to be the blonde bimbettes who go to Frats to get wasted and get male attention or have completely sworn off guys for the umpteenth time and sit on "verandas" with their "gal pals" talking trash.

That is essentially the definition of the term as used in the context he presented. Am I wrong? Or are you so pent up on your one opinion that you are incapable of seeing a normal discussion as... a discussion. One of my favorite drinks in my college days was Jack and Sour Mix. I quite liked Smirnoff Ice actually and Mike's Hard. I hardly drink them any more since I don't generally have as many sweet foods/drinks any more and find the sweetness overwhelming and a little nasty. So instead I tend to drink Stella Artois (which is an Ale) or occasionally I'll toss some Jack into Hot Chocolate or Apple Cider. And I love me some Red Wine. My wife despises beer. But she's tried every single one put in front of her to see if she likes it. I've seen her drink quite a few men under the table with any number of hard drinks.

But you keep at it champ. Keep pretending that you know everything that's everything and that others are stupid and the opposite of whatever you identify yourself as. It's the fools way.

EDIT PS:

Par of the reason I married my wife is because she's not a "girly girl" and she's actual a person instead of a walking stereotype. She has her own mind and her own ambitions. She stopped wearing heels a long time ago because I convinced her that, while I liked them they are far more effort, pain, and risk of injury than they are really worth. Except for once in a while (our wedding for example), she never wears them any more.

But such things are endemic of social inequality. The problem isn't the skirts, the heels, the tops, etc. It's not even WHY they are worn that's the problem. It's the fact that it's done subconsciously. Don't believe me? When women go out "clubbing" (which is generally differentiated from "dancing" which doesn't require men's attention), they always dress "cute". Have you ever see a "cute" ring? Tops, skirts, heels are all cute. Rings? Definitely not. Aside from intentionally childish clothing, there are really no instances where the word cute would be used and the word sexy doesn't also apply. How many women actually realize that though? And so they get ready and dress "cute" when they go clubbing rather than sexy. So that they can be sexy and not be guilty. It also means that the sexiness then falls on the men, not them so they are blameless if somebody gets the wrong idea. I have no problem with women dressing sexy and crushing a few hearts. I take serious issue with trying to remain ignorant of what you're doing.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Murderstyle75 said:

@lostrib:

More gender stereotyping. It's hard to take someone seriously when they define alcohol as sex specific. Also....your constant arrogance over popular brands makes you an elitist since you asked.

Yes, he's very narrow minded. Try to explain to him that you don't like beer or drinking, and it's like he can't comprehend

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 LJS9502_basic

@ExtremePhobia said:

@LJS9502_basic:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@ExtremePhobia said:

@lightleggy: Sweet drinks are girly drinks. That's pretty much what it comes down to. Beer and hard liquors are not girly drinks and they don't inherently taste bad. Generally the difference (in this case) is that men drink something for the experience of drinking it while women are just trying to get drink and act like they're on Sex and the City. Wine IS a relatively sweet drink but it's something that both men and women drink for the experience (or to unwind) and isn't considered a girly drink. Anybody with a respect for alcohol will tell you that you should taste the alcohol or you're not doing it right.

Which is all well and good. The occasions when I do really want to get drunk, there's nothing quite like a (sweet) Grateful Dead or Alabama Slammer. About 3 shots each and it goes down like water.

If you wake up and step outside into the real world....you'll find out girls don't all drink sweet drinks and some guys do. Stop making alcohol a girl/guy thing. It's not.

Gee... sorry, I thought he was asking a question! My bad for answering. Thanks for the news flash! I thought beer bottles came with dicks attached so that you knew they were "just for men!" Wait... didn't the last line say that I like sweet drinks?

Sorry to burst your bubble of "who you think I am" but if you actually read my post... Gee,Not only that but I made it a point to inform our dear friend that the alcohol isn't what makes it a girly drink, it's the people who drink it which tend to be the blonde bimbettes who go to Frats to get wasted and get male attention or have completely sworn off guys for the umpteenth time and sit on "verandas" with their "gal pals" talking trash.

That is essentially the definition of the term as used in the context he presented. Am I wrong? Or are you so pent up on your one opinion that you are incapable of seeing a normal discussion as... a discussion. One of my favorite drinks in my college days was Jack and Sour Mix. I quite liked Smirnoff Ice actually and Mike's Hard. I hardly drink them any more since I don't generally have as many sweet foods/drinks any more and find the sweetness overwhelming and a little nasty. So instead I tend to drink Stella Artois (which is an Ale) or occasionally I'll toss some Jack into Hot Chocolate or Apple Cider. And I love me some Red Wine. My wife despises beer. But she's tried every single one put in front of her to see if she likes it. I've seen her drink quite a few men under the table with any number of hard drinks.

But you keep at it champ. Keep pretending that you know everything that's everything and that others are stupid and the opposite of whatever you identify yourself as. It's the fools way.

EDIT PS:

Par of the reason I married my wife is because she's not a "girly girl" and she's actual a person instead of a walking stereotype. She has her own mind and her own ambitions. She stopped wearing heels a long time ago because I convinced her that, while I liked them they are far more effort, pain, and risk of injury than they are really worth. Except for once in a while (our wedding for example), she never wears them any more.

But such things are endemic of social inequality. The problem isn't the skirts, the heels, the tops, etc. It's not even WHY they are worn that's the problem. It's the fact that it's done subconsciously. Don't believe me? When women go out "clubbing" (which is generally differentiated from "dancing" which doesn't require men's attention), they always dress "cute". Have you ever see a "cute" ring? Tops, skirts, heels are all cute. Rings? Definitely not. Aside from intentionally childish clothing, there are really no instances where the word cute would be used and the word sexy doesn't also apply. How many women actually realize that though? And so they get ready and dress "cute" when they go clubbing rather than sexy. So that they can be sexy and not be guilty. It also means that the sexiness then falls on the men, not them so they are blameless if somebody gets the wrong idea. I have no problem with women dressing sexy and crushing a few hearts. I take serious issue with trying to remain ignorant of what you're doing.

Yawn.....I quit reading your braggadocio and refer back to this statement you made.....

ExtremePhobia said:

Sweet drinks are girly drinks. That's pretty much what it comes down to. Beer and hard liquors are not girly drinks and they don't inherently taste bad.

Which puts the lie to your patting yourself on the back in the above drivel......

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts
Loading Video...

This is a clue:

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Murderstyle75

Arrogance over popular brands? Why? Because I understand the impurities and adjuncts that are in these beverages? And people wonder why they are sick as a dog the next day. Why does corona need a lime wedge? Because UV rays cause a chemical reaction that spoils the liquid. Why is adjunct lager meant to be drank ice cold? Because it freezes your taste buds to the point where you can't taste the actual ingredients and is why most claim not to like beer.

Its also not unrealistic to say I can find you a beer you would like even if you claim not to like beer. People only claim this because they have only tried a few styles of adjunct lager. With the hundreds of very distinct styles and thousands of variations out there, one certainly can't say for sure they don't like beer. Especially when there are so many beers out there that taste like nothing they have ever tasted before.

And saying many of these drinks are made and marketed towards women is not stereotypical. Unless of course you can say "Skinny Girl" flavored vodka wasn't made for women. If that's the case, I guess Eve and Capri cigarettes were made for men as well. Here is a suggestion. Go into a bar or club during ladies night. While you are there, observe what kinds of drinks are promoted on the menu.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Murderstyle75

@thegerg:

Yes I can because I have tried every last style and variation of popular beer. This isn't very hard since 99% of it is the exact same style of lager recommended to be served the exact same way. Believe it or not, when even Anheuser Busch releases a new product, I'll try it once but knowing I'll never try it again. There was one exception to this which was Budweiser American Ale which was only a limited release.

And the biggest problem with the whole beer thing is, people know nothing about style. They only know brand name and what is marketed to them. Most think style means dark or light.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 lostrib

@Murderstyle75 said:

@thegerg:

Yes I can because I have tried every last style and variation of popular beer. This isn't very hard since 99% of it is the exact same style of lager recommended to be served the exact same way. Believe it or not, when even Anheuser Busch releases a new product, I'll try it once but knowing I'll never try it again. There was one exception to this which was Budweiser American Ale which was only a limited release.

And the biggest problem with the whole beer thing is, people know nothing about style. They only know brand name and what is marketed to them. Most think style means dark or light.

and most people don't care

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#166  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Haha. I think Murderstyle75 is the first person I've ever encountered who sounds like such a pompous douchebag when talking about beer.

It's one thing to be a music or film elitist, but a beer elitist? rofl.

"The fact that I take pride in my alcoholic beverages, understand them, appreciate them and respect them?"

Bwahahahahahahahaha!

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#168 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Murderstyle75 said:

@thegerg:

You mean to tell me that you don't respect, take pride in, and understand teh beer?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 LJS9502_basic

@Murderstyle75 said:

@thegerg:

Trying so hard to be edgy and cool. Newsflash.....some popular brands are quality. I certainly consider that I don't drink lesser quality beer.....or wine.....or liquor....but I'm not near as silly about it as you come across.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By lostrib

@GreySeal9 said:

@lostrib said:

@Murderstyle75 said:

@thegerg:

You mean to tell me that you don't respect, take pride in, and understand teh beer?

I would say that I don't like drinking, but then Murderstyle may go into a whole spiel about how I have to try every form of alcohol imaginable

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@lostrib said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@lostrib said:

@Murderstyle75 said:

@thegerg:

I would say that I don't like drinking, but then Murderstyle may go into a whole spiel about how I have to try every form of alcohol imaginable

That's ridiculous.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By lostrib

@LJS9502_basic said:

@lostrib said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@lostrib said:

@Murderstyle75 said:

@thegerg:

That's ridiculous.

yes, he seems to lack the ability to understand that someone may not like alcohol/drinking

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts
@GreySeal9 said:

Haha. I think Murderstyle75 is the first person I've ever encountered who sounds like such a pompous douchebag when talking about beer.

It's one thing to be a music or film elitist, but a beer elitist? rofl.

"The fact that I take pride in my alcoholic beverages, understand them, appreciate them and respect them?"

Bwahahahahahahahaha!

plz dont consider him representative of beer snobs in general

i only look down on bad beers (b/c i dont like them), but not ppl who drink them

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

I don't think it's a "girly" drink, but if you drink it I will think less of you because it tastes like absolute shit. The stuff is so loaded with sugars. Same with hard lemonades, coolers, etc. that it ruins any sort of alcohol flavoring. It also does NOT have more alcohol than most good beers.

When I drink alcohol, I like tasting the actual alcohol even if it's only a slight hint. If it's higher quality alcohol then it's fun to attempt to analyze the distilling process based on flavors.

Dredcrumb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#175 Dredcrumb9
Member since 2012 • 69 Posts

@WhiteKnight77: @lightleggy: Smirnoff is a girls drink.

Smirnoff Ice is not a malt beverage. You people watch too many tv commercials.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#177 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@thegerg said:

@Dredcrumb9 said:

@WhiteKnight77: @lightleggy: Smirnoff is a girls drink.

Smirnoff Ice is not a malt beverage. You people watch too many tv commercials.

"Smirnoff Ice is not a malt beverage."

Yes it is.

Outside the US it's mixed vodka

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#179 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

Got drunk on that. Only time less than 20 beers (Similar abv) made me blow chunks. And I felt miserable the whole time.

I hate smirnoff.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Because according to science, if you drink it, you grow a vagina.