Why is Smirnoff Ice considered a "women's drink"?

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@Nibroc420 said:
@Brain_Duster said:

@lightleggy said:

it turns out smirnoff ice has more alcohol than a beer.

Duh, really?

No it doesn't... It's only 5%.

Beer is 8%.

most beers are below 5%

Light beers?

A beer being "light" means less calories, not less alcohol content.

#102 Edited by Renevent42 (5126 posts) -

Kinda...light does refer to the calorie part but most light beers have around 3%-5% alcohol content. Most people here I think drink strong beers though which can range between 7%-10% (and even higher) and would be difficult to find a "light beer" in that range. I personally don't know of any light beers that are stronger than like 5%, though I of course don't know every beer in existence :P

#103 Edited by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

@Renevent42 said:

LOL...you're just being obtuse at this point. Both links show that 48oz of 9% beer is equivalent to 6-7 shots of 40% liquor...both in what it will make your BAC and how many drinks it would be considered for you to have. You can also do the math straight up:

48oz * 9% = 4.32 oz alcohol

12oz * 40% = 4.8 oz alcohol

Drinking 4 12oz beers with 9% alcohol is roughly equivalent to drinking 6-7 shots of 40% liquor.

You do know there is fast rule for BAC as it varies by individual?

Any way this is the breakdown of what equals what....12 ounce bottle of beer = 1.5 oz shot = 5 oz glass of wine

That was a copy paste by the way.....and it's the same thing I've seen whenever dealing with this topic. I have never seen....nor have you demonstrated that beer is stronger than liquor.

Up until the year 2000, Georgia had a cap of 6% alcohol by volume for beer which is why Budweiser here was only about 5.5% ABV. The state then repealed that and allows for malt beverages to have up to 14% ABV. A local brewery I go to on occasion (my brother used to know one of the co-owners though he has since left) has a Belgian Wit (wheat) that is 10% ABV. That one beer is equal to about 2 mass produced beers. They even have one beer that is about 12% ABV. Even the Leffe (Belgian Blonde) that I like to drink is 6.6% so there is stronger beer available over Bud or Miller.

#104 Edited by Diablo-B (4024 posts) -

A combination of their marketing and some idiots thinking that if a drink tastes good then it most be for women

#105 Edited by TrooperManaic (3728 posts) -

@TrooperManaic said:

Perhaps because $20 later im still sober.

So with beer it would be 40$ later.

depends on what type of beer you drink. I don't touch that yellow pee water. My favorite types of beer are Golden Monkey, arrogant bastard, and other types of micro-brew beers. Just don't touch DogFishHead, that bear SUUUUKS.

#106 Edited by kraken2109 (13005 posts) -

Smirnoff ice is like is not stronger than beer. Most decent beer anyway.

It's a woman's drink because it's full of sugar so you can't taste the alcohol.

#107 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@Nibroc420 said:
@toast_burner said:

@Nibroc420 said:
@Brain_Duster said:

@lightleggy said:

it turns out smirnoff ice has more alcohol than a beer.

Duh, really?

No it doesn't... It's only 5%.

Beer is 8%.

most beers are below 5%

Light beers?

Maybe to you :|

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_beer
Light beer refers to beer which is reduced in alcohol content or in calories, compared to regular beers.

#108 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4727 posts) -

"Men's drinks" are often bitter, strong, or plain.

"Women's drinks" are often light, fruity, or fancy and decorative.

Just another stigma to add onto social norms. Doesn't matter much to me, I personally think alcohol tastes like gasoline smells (and I can't stand that perfumey aftertaste it leaves). I go to bars for the food. I love me some $.20 wings.

#109 Edited by lightleggy (15904 posts) -

because it's made for people who cannot handle the taste of alcohol, predominantly women.

Where are you getting that data from? Most girls I know love the sht out of alcohol and love drinking anything, I have barely seen women who say things like "Ugh I don't like alcohol I cant handle the taste!".

#110 Posted by redstorm72 (4523 posts) -

Basically, if you drink Smirnoff Ice or the like, you are too much of a sissy to drink anything that even remotely tastes like alcohol. Even people who drink Bud Light have more balls.

#111 Posted by caseypayne69 (5388 posts) -

I used to drink it when I was in my early 20's. Now I don't drink at all unless I'm flying. Then I'll ask for a Miller Lite. M Lite + 30,000 feet = sweet.

#112 Posted by Cynical_Buzzard (224 posts) -

Why do you care what people think?

People like that are only trying to put you down.

#113 Edited by lightleggy (15904 posts) -

Basically, if you drink Smirnoff Ice or the like, you are too much of a sissy to drink anything that even remotely tastes like alcohol. Even people who drink Bud Light have more balls.

I would drink it if it didn't tasted like shit

#114 Edited by ssvegeta555 (2262 posts) -

@redstorm72 said:

I would drink it if it didn't tasted like shit

Yeah, mainstream beer is vile bum piss. If you want to try beer, go with micro-brews, skip the cheap stuff. If you can, get Blue Moon, Belgian White. It's a good, smooth, light wheat beer, well ale technically.

#115 Edited by thegerg (14828 posts) -
#116 Posted by foxhound_fox (87623 posts) -

Societal norms expect men to drink bitter or harsh drinks, to "prove" something about their manhood, or "manliness".

I drink what I enjoy, whether it be sweet, sour or bitter. I've found out recently I have a heavy inclination towards mojitos and mead.

#117 Posted by Truf89 (4668 posts) -

Nuvo is a girly drink

#118 Edited by ssvegeta555 (2262 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@ssvegeta555: Since when is Blue Moon a microbrew?

Hmm.. I guess I was confusing that with another similar wheat ale. It's kind of hard to keep track of things, there are so many varieties out there.

#119 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36775 posts) -
#120 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5281 posts) -

It's because there's a social stigma against men drinking sweetened alcoholic beverages. It's not because men wouldn't like it, as guys drink fizzy and energy drinks just as much as girls.

Beer advertising is some of the worst out there, it shames men into thinking if they don't drink a particular type of beer they are somehow less masculine. This even extends to so-called "fancy" beers, which, in my opinion, often taste a hell of a lot better than the cheap piss water which dominate beer sales.

#121 Posted by Netret0120 (2027 posts) -

I stick to my Viceroy and Coke cider combo. Tasty:-)

#122 Posted by foxhound_fox (87623 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Nope

Yep. Bud Light Platinum is 6.0%/vol. I drink Rickard's Red quite often, and it's only 5.2%/vol.

"Light/Lite" has no bearing on alcohol content. Many can have less, several have more.

#123 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36775 posts) -

@chaoscougar1 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Nope

Yep. Bud Light Platinum is 6.0%/vol. I drink Rickard's Red quite often, and it's only 5.2%/vol.

"Light/Lite" has no bearing on alcohol content. Many can have less, several have more.

America be strange

#124 Posted by JasonDarksavior (9325 posts) -

Dunno, don't care. I drink it anyway.

Yeah, it tastes great.

#125 Posted by CoolSkAGuy (9665 posts) -

Hey its no bother to me what drink you drink. That won't stop me from making fun of you haha

#126 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

@foxhound_fox:

Bud Light Platinum is a brand new product. Traditionally though, pretty much all "Light" beers are 4.2 to 4.3% while their so called full counterparts are 5%.

Realistically its all light beer though. Bland, yellow, fizzy industrial swill.

The original topic is also ironic because while people today view flavored malt beverages as girly drinks, post prohibition lager which is seen as a "Mans" drink was created for the female drinker since most of the men were away fighting a war. Good ole Budweiser included.

#127 Edited by theone86 (20555 posts) -

I dont get it, if somebody ask you if you like to drink, you can't say "Not much, a smirnoff once in a while" because they'll call you by a lot of homophobic nicknames. "Smirnoff is a girl's drink!".

At first I thought it was because it wasn't much of an alcoholic drink, but then I read on some stuff and it turns out smirnoff ice has more alcohol than a beer.

So it has more alcohol, thus its easier to get drunk, and it has a decent taste, its like taking away everything wrong with the beer and just leaving the good stuff.

So people really think that you're a "girl" if you drink it because it doesn't tastes like sht?

Ugh, need to get some things straight. One, it's not a woman's drink, it's a drink for people who don't know good booze. Two, Smirnoff has 5-7% ABV, most beer I drink is at least 8%, sometimes in the 11-13% range. Three, beer has a complex taste. It doesn't taste bad, it just sometimes takes a little time to acquire a taste for it (and if you're drinking Smirnoff I'm thinking maybe the quality of the beer you're drinking is the real issue here).

You know what else tastes great? Mixed drinks. Drink a White Russian, that's two parts vodka (40% ABV) and one part Khalua (20% ABV), so it's stronger than Smirnoff and tastes better. Maybe drink a Margarita (made with real lime juice, not that store shelf sugarwater). Both of these taste awesome, and since they're made with natural sugar instead of artificially sweetened to hell you're not going to wake up with a nasty hangover the next morning (the less sugary a drink is the better your next day will be). Or find any number of great cocktails to drink instead. Or drink wine, wine tastes great. Chradonnays are very sweet, full-bodied, and have a more complex flavor than whatever artificially concocted flavor Smirnoff decided to infuse their second-rate vodka with. Oh, and wine is stronger than Smirnoff Ice. There are so many better drinks out there than Smirnoff Ice, it's like going to McDonald's when you could get a Filet Mignon for an extra $5.

#128 Posted by Dogswithguns (10700 posts) -

Don't ask me.. I don't drink those stuff.

#129 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24961 posts) -

'Cuz real men pound Arbor Mist.

#130 Posted by GazaAli (22503 posts) -

Damn I've been really lusting for alcohol a while now, Vodka in particular and I have no idea why.

#131 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24961 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Damn I've been really lusting for alcohol a while now, Vodka in particular and I have no idea why.

You want a Russian invasion in yo bellay.

#132 Edited by GazaAli (22503 posts) -

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@GazaAli said:

I picture vodka and the taste and feeling of it to be a sharp, somehow bitter taste that makes your throat feels really cold. I'm not sure if I'm using the right words to describe that image though.

Am I even close :P

#133 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24961 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@GazaAli said:

I picture vodka and the taste and feeling of it to be a sharp, somehow bitter taste that makes your throat feels really cold. I'm not sure if I'm using the right words to describe that image though.

It pretty much tastes like Russian sadness.

Which is advanced sadness.

#134 Posted by GazaAli (22503 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@GazaAli said:

Damn I dig that :(

But really describe the taste and feeling of good Vodka.

#135 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24961 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@GazaAli said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@GazaAli said:

I can tell you from experience that you NEVER drink it straight, let alone chug it.

BUT, it has an excellent pain go bye-bye effect if you do.

#136 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24961 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@GazaAli said:

I can tell you from experience that you NEVER drink it straight, let alone chug it.

You're still not telling me how it actually tastes man rofl

But I always questioned the validity of the claim that certain alcoholic beverages just cannot be drunk straight or chugged. I mean is it really that bad tasting or strong? Fascinating shit lol

Trust me, you forget what it tastes like if you have enough. Also, chugging it means it all goes to your head REALLY fast so you get super drunk.

Basically, you become a cheap date.

#137 Edited by GazaAli (22503 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

You're still not telling me how it actually tastes man rofl

But I always questioned the validity of the claim that certain alcoholic beverages just cannot be drunk straight or chugged. I mean is it really that bad tasting or strong? Fascinating shit lol

#138 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150288 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Plenty of people drink it straight....

#139 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24961 posts) -

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@GazaAli said:

Well yeah, but they're all drunkards.

You wouldn't do something like that, right?

Right?

#140 Posted by thegerg (14828 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@GazaAli said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@GazaAli said:

What makes you think that your experience determine how he drinks vodka?

#141 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

@thegerg:

It has nothing to do with experience. Different liquor is meant to be consumed certain ways. Because of ignorance, most people drink like brain dead frat boys. Most people don't realize there is actually a science to it.

#142 Posted by thegerg (14828 posts) -

@thegerg:

It has nothing to do with experience. Different liquor is meant to be consumed certain ways. Because of ignorance, most people drink like brain dead frat boys. Most people don't realize there is actually a science to it.

If it's got nothing to do with experience then why did he frame the conversation in terms of experience?

#143 Posted by TheFlush (5508 posts) -

I like my drinks pink and fruity and decorated with a parasol. If I had glitter I would sprinkle it all around the room, Unicorns would fart rainbows.

#144 Posted by toast_burner (21426 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@GazaAli said:

Right?

Why does drinking it straight make you a drunkard? Surely that's determined by the amount you drink

#145 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150288 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

Right?

I use tonic.....but I don't necessarily think drinking vodka straight means one is an alcoholic. Alcoholism generally refers to someone that needs the drink.

#146 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24961 posts) -

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

Right?

I use tonic.....but I don't necessarily think drinking vodka straight means one is an alcoholic. Alcoholism generally refers to someone that needs the drink.

Yeah yeah, correlation=/=causation and all that fun stuff.

But seriously, I see a lotta alcoholics drinking straight vodka (and other stuff)...or is it because I'm in Wisconsin?

#147 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

@thegerg:

Maybe in his experience but generally there are specific ways you are supposed to drink certain alcohols in order to get the most out of them.

Sadly in America at least, most people don't know now to properly drink, most bar/resteraunt staff don't know how to correctly serve and most establishment owners don't know jack shit either. They even tend to think brands like Jack Danials, Jim Beam, Absolut, Jose Cuervo, 1800, etc are top shelf liquors. And for some reason, Blue Moon Leinenkugels, and Shock Top are craft beers .

#148 Posted by thegerg (14828 posts) -

@Murderstyle75: That doesn't answer the question. Please try to stay on topic.

#149 Posted by lostrib (34271 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@Murderstyle75: That doesn't answer the question. Please try to stay on topic.

it's probably because he's an alcohol elitist