What's your take on Teen Pregnancy?

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

I was watching this show about girls who get pregnant really early and how it must feel to give up your own childhood because you give into peer-pressure or something. Honestly raising a kid is not an easy job for women so girls who are like 15/16 really take up a HUGE challenge by getting pregnant so early, I feel sorry for the parents of such kids since the pressure is obviously on them as well to provide for the kid as well as the their on child who has abruptly become a mother.

I know having a child is one of the best things that could happen to a couple but having it so early is just plain stupid, especially if you become pregnant accidentally, well I wouldn't really call it an accident since it's pretty obvious what would happen if you don't use protection. Here in the UK I have noticed that a lot of teens get pregnant, like a lot. I don't see why one is not more careful because you would need to give up your own childhood at that age, really sad :(

So whats your take OT? and do you know anyone who is at the age of 14,15 or 16 ad are pregnant?

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

It's sad. It is something that I've seen. Fourteen and fifteen year old girls that have already had a child, and to listen to a girl at such a young age talk about it is very shocking. They're so young, and they talk about having a baby very ignorantly and naively. It is not supposed to happen.

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
I think more needs to be done to educate teens about sex and how to do it safely.
FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
I think that 96% of the time the 'mother' is a moron. While unfortunate, it serves as a sobering lesson on why not to be a moron.
Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
My take is I can't believe I'm not getting any of that.... :P
Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#6 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
I usually just laugh at the mothers because typically they are complete morons.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
First of all, I really do not care. What people do in their own lives is their business. Secondly, I never saw the big deal. People have always gotten pregnant at young ages. It just seems so forbidden, and shunned now.
MasterBolt360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 MasterBolt360
Member since 2009 • 5293 Posts

I laugh at them, for being idiots, in my opinion. I mean come on, the now-should-be-called-mother should have thought about what shell' have to go through now. Looking prego, buying baby clothes, being judged, maybe the boyfriend will leave, taking care of the baby, your career down the drain, ashamed parents, and more.

FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
[QUOTE="clayron"]First of all, I really do not care. What people do in their own lives is their business. Secondly, I never saw the big deal. People have always gotten pregnant at young ages. It just seems so forbidden, and shunned now.

Forbidden now? 50 years ago parents would disown their daughter if she came home pregnant at 15. Now, most parents become live-in babysitters for them.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
ruins peoples lives
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

You could argue that actually the mother is in the best possible physical shape to give birth in her late teens. There's nothing wrong with it as long as the parents are emotionally and intellectually mature enough to provide for the child.

Western parents seem to be getting ever-older when they have their first children, while other cultures are having children at ages where birth defects are far less common. It's impossible to be sure whether the cause of our stagnant population growth in the UK is ultimately economic, but I'd hazard a guess that low youth income has some effect on many couples' decisions as to how serious a decision havong a child is.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clayron

Forbidden now? 50 years ago parents would disown their daughter if she came home pregnant at 15. Now, most parents become live-in babysitters for them.FragStains
I will concede to that. But my point is back then teens got pregnant just as they do today, promiscuity was far less revered than it is today, so I do not see what all the hullabaloo is about.

kingkui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 kingkui
Member since 2008 • 883 Posts

As long as the baby is safe and healthy, I couldn't give a **** about the parents

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
I feel more sorry for the kids than the parents in this regard. They usually suffer for the mother's loose legs more than she does. I've seen a lot of cases where the kid is totally pushed off on the grandparents, with the mother and father becoming more like an aunt or uncle. I give a lot of respect for young parents that own up to it and make the sacrifices they are called upon to make, but respect and pity really can't flow from the same fountain.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clayron
I feel more sorry for the kids than the parents in this regard. They usually suffer for the mother's loose legs more than she does. I've seen a lot of cases where the kid is totally pushed off on the grandparents, with the mother and father becoming more like an aunt or uncle. I give a lot of respect for young parents that own up to it and make the sacrifices they are called upon to make, but respect and pity really can't flow from the same fountain. Second_Rook
I have actually seen that happen.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jimmyjammer69
I feel more sorry for the kids than the parents in this regard. They usually suffer for the mother's loose legs more than she does. I've seen a lot of cases where the kid is totally pushed off on the grandparents, with the mother and father becoming more like an aunt or uncle. I give a lot of respect for young parents that own up to it and make the sacrifices they are called upon to make, but respect and pity really can't flow from the same fountain. Second_Rook
Is there really a problem with the grandparents helping to look after the kids? Nine times out of ten, they have nothing better to do with their time and love spoiling their grandchildren as opposed to sitting, staring at the TV. I think the grandma's often considered the head of the family in Carribean families, and this sort of family structure allows the mother to go on leading a normal life without having to sacrifice her career just because she acted on her instincts.
Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts
My take is I can't believe I'm not getting any of that.... :PJazz_Fan
You make a good point.... Anyway I find it pretty shocking to see 15 year olds pregnant.
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
People who have babies while in their teens are idiots. Their life, unless they are rich idiots, will be effectively ruined. There is always adoption, or abortion, but that is hardly the point.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 clayron
People who have babies while in their teens are idiots. Their life, unless they are rich idiots, will be effectively ruined. There is always adoption, or abortion, but that is hardly the point.super_mario_128
Thats actually the silliest thing I have heard this morning. I attended college with plenty of people in my age group who have had kids at young ages, and still manage to do well and live a fulfilling life.
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 super_mario_128
[QUOTE="super_mario_128"]People who have babies while in their teens are idiots. Their life, unless they are rich idiots, will be effectively ruined. There is always adoption, or abortion, but that is hardly the point.clayron
Thats actually the silliest thing I have heard this morning. I attended college with plenty of people in my age group who have had kids at young ages, and still manage to do well and live a fulfilling life.

Lucky for them they had a family who could support them, then.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 clayron
[QUOTE="clayron"][QUOTE="super_mario_128"]People who have babies while in their teens are idiots. Their life, unless they are rich idiots, will be effectively ruined. There is always adoption, or abortion, but that is hardly the point.super_mario_128

Lucky for them they had a family who could support them, then.

You are making assumptions.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

People who have babies while in their teens are idiots. Their life, unless they are rich idiots, will be effectively ruined. There is always adoption, or abortion, but that is hardly the point.super_mario_128

Perhaps you should take into account the children that are born into abusive families and aren't properly taught obedience and abstinence. Sometimes it isn't the kid's fault. It's something that they're born into.

k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#23 k_smoove
Member since 2006 • 11954 Posts

Irresponsible doesn't even begin to describe it, imo.

super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 super_mario_128
[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

Perhaps you should take into account the children that are born into abusive families and aren't properly taught obedience and abstinence. Sometimes it isn't the kid's fault. It's something that they're born into.

True, though if they have been educated on intercourse, contraceptives and conceiving a child through such idiocy, then the fault is entirely theirs when they choose not to protect themselves... et al.
You are making assumptions.clayron
Moreso generalisations than that.
Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
[QUOTE="Second_Rook"]I feel more sorry for the kids than the parents in this regard. They usually suffer for the mother's loose legs more than she does. I've seen a lot of cases where the kid is totally pushed off on the grandparents, with the mother and father becoming more like an aunt or uncle. I give a lot of respect for young parents that own up to it and make the sacrifices they are called upon to make, but respect and pity really can't flow from the same fountain. jimmyjammer69
Is there really a problem with the grandparents helping to look after the kids? Nine times out of ten, they have nothing better to do with their time and love spoiling their grandchildren as opposed to sitting, staring at the TV. I think the grandma's often considered the head of the family in Carribean families, and this sort of family structure allows the mother to go on leading a normal life without having to sacrifice her career just because she acted on her instincts.

Well I said "totally pushed off on," that's different than helping out. From your earlier post I am assuming you live in the UK, here in the states I believe these things are more common and handled with considerably less accountability. Grandparents helping is great, becoming a foster parent while their daughter resumes the in the moment lifestyle that got her pregnant in the first place is terrible.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clayron
[QUOTE="super_mario_128"] Moreso generalisations than that.

Based on what?
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 super_mario_128
[QUOTE="super_mario_128"] Moreso generalisations than that.clayron
Based on what?

Based what, on what? A lot of teenagers who have kids at a young age have failed to obey lessons taught to them in school. They are selfish idiots, whether they are rich or not. This is not an assumption: this is fact. My first post was a generalisation; yes, there are different cases, where the teens WANT children (though I have no idea why), or conceive due to faulty contraceptives.
kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
[QUOTE="clayron"]First of all, I really do not care. What people do in their own lives is their business. Secondly, I never saw the big deal. People have always gotten pregnant at young ages. It just seems so forbidden, and shunned now.

amen
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Pretty silly and avoidable. I guess most of the time people get caught up in the moment and don't do simple things such as condoms or pulling out :P. Oh well not my concern anyway.

T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts
I think more needs to be done to educate teens about sex and how to do it safely.bluezy
I'd love this to happen, the most I learnt about sex was through the internet, not through the rubbish sex ed' class I had at school. And to see a 15 year old with her own child or pregnancy, you wonder how much better off she would be if she waited to have a child.
Jfisch93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 Jfisch93
Member since 2008 • 3557 Posts

I call teen pregnancy a birth control fail.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clayron
[QUOTE="clayron"][QUOTE="super_mario_128"] Moreso generalisations than that.super_mario_128
Based on what?

Based what, on what? A lot of teenagers who have kids at a young age have failed to obey lessons taught to them in school. They are selfish idiots, whether they are rich or not. This is not an assumption: this is fact.

I would love to see statistical evidence stating that what you say is indeed fact.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

A really good friend of mine is pregnant.The baby's coming in November.She refused abortion.
I was pissed off,because she was pregnant.I'm over it.I still think it's stupid,she's young,incompetent,just not able to raise a child.
Her boyfriend left her.
She just turned 18 also.Got pregnant when she was 17.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="clayron"][QUOTE="super_mario_128"] Moreso generalisations than that.super_mario_128
Based on what?

Based what, on what? A lot of teenagers who have kids at a young age have failed to obey lessons taught to them in school. They are selfish idiots, whether they are rich or not. This is not an assumption: this is fact. My first post was a generalisation; yes, there are different cases, where the teens WANT children (though I have no idea why), or conceive due to faulty contraceptives.

I don't see how having kids over choosing to abort is in any way selfish.
YoJim8obaJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 YoJim8obaJoe
Member since 2008 • 2653 Posts

it shameless propaganda,about 100-200 years ago girls as young as 11 were encouraged to become mothers and people started prostitution at 12,the gov then raised the age to 14 to try to stop peeps starting it as a profession and then again to 16 so it is by no way a new problem

hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts
Keep it in their pants or wear a condom. Srsly. It's not that hard. Teens need to learn to just 'bag it'
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Don't have sex if you don't want a baby.

AFraud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 AFraud
Member since 2004 • 1500 Posts

I'm 26 and I don't even think I could deal with a kid.

I can't imagine how overwhelming it would be for a girl in her teens who is still a child herself.

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts

There's no reason for teen pregnancy here, there are tons of methods of birth control, and if the girl does get pregnant, there are TONS of people waiting to adobt a baby, there's zero reason for her to keep the child. I have no sympathy for people who are like "I had a baby at 16, my life is all messed up because of it".

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Andrew_Xavier
[QUOTE="super_mario_128"][QUOTE="clayron"] Based on what?jimmyjammer69

Contributing to the over population of the world, raising a kid whilst unprepared, etc etc
perphekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#41 perphekt
Member since 2009 • 1096 Posts

If you can't handle the pleasure and/or responsibility of sex, then don't have it. Teens get pregnant all the time, even teen stars on tv have been getting pregnant and i think it's ridiculous. They do it then they **** about it like someone is suppose to feel sorry for them, well guess what, i'm not one of them. If you can't handle the fact that your taking a chance on getting pregnant, knowing that the precautions are not 100% of the time, don't do it, simply Don't Do It.

Avatar image for deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
deactivated-60f8966fb59f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
Member since 2008 • 1719 Posts
I knew someone who got pregnant at 16 who kept and another at 14 who aborted. I don't know if it ruins lives, or if their lives were already ruined. The cause isn't ignorance. It's nonchalance.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="super_mario_128"] Based what, on what? A lot of teenagers who have kids at a young age have failed to obey lessons taught to them in school. They are selfish idiots, whether they are rich or not. This is not an assumption: this is fact. My first post was a generalisation; yes, there are different cases, where the teens WANT children (though I have no idea why), or conceive due to faulty contraceptives.

Contributing to the over population of the world, raising a kid whilst unprepared, etc etc

Every child contributes to the "overpopulation of the world" not just unplanned pregnancies. Raising a kid whilst unprepared also seems far from selfish but rather an act sacrificing your own selfish desires for the life of your child - the consequences of your actions. Lots of children are unplanned, in all walks of life. By that kind of logic, doesn't it seem more selfish to have kids when the probability of birth defects is higher and the mother has less energy?
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

its a sad thing, really

Avatar image for import_fighter1
import_fighter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 import_fighter1
Member since 2003 • 1218 Posts
First of all, I really do not care. What people do in their own lives is their business. Secondly, I never saw the big deal. People have always gotten pregnant at young ages. It just seems so forbidden, and shunned now.clayron
You should care because if your paying taxes, you're supporting a majority of those kids.
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Andrew_Xavier

[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]I don't see how having kids over choosing to abort is in any way selfish. jimmyjammer69

Every child contributes to the "overpopulation of the world" not just unplanned pregnancies. Raising a kid whilst unprepared also seems far from selfish but rather an act sacrificing your own selfish desires for the life of your child - the consequences of your actions. Lots of children are unplanned, in all walks of life. By that kind of logic, doesn't it seem more selfish to have kids when the probability of birth defects is higher and the mother has less energy?

Keeping the baby is selfish when there are financially/mentally prepared couples begging to adobt babies. Keeping the baby is the most selfish thing the girl could do.

As per higher chance of birth defects, I agree, a 16 year old does carry a SIGNIFIANCTLY higher chance of giving birth to a baby with birth defects than a 30 year old, and about on par with a post-menstral pregnancy, so it could be argued that it is selfish on that level as well.

KcurtorMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KcurtorMas
Member since 2009 • 1484 Posts

It usually doesnt work out very well from what ive seen.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#48 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
I find it rather sad, bad parenting and lack of common sense are to blame.
Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

Well if there's grass on the wicket, play cricket!

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
It just goes to show how ignorant some people are and how unwilling they are to take responsibility for their actions. The main problem I have with it though, is how the media and quite a good portion of society is more accepting towards teen moms who abort their babies as opposed to teen moms that choose to raise their child : /