What are you currently reading?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#201  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Been reading this comic to prepare for the 2015 movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 0

#202 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Started with Death Gate Cycle yesterday by @br0kenrabbit's suggestion.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#203 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17860 Posts

@korvus said:

Started with Death Gate Cycle yesterday by @br0kenrabbit's suggestion.

Awesome. Let me know how you like it. :)

halffullcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#204 halffullcup
Member since 2014 • 90 Posts

I am reading "the happy Prince and other stories" by oscar wilde.

Could someone recommend me something like asoiaf. And not lotr but i want a something that won't be boring in front of asoiaf. Plz thank you.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Behardy24

Starting to read the Fables comic series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#206 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

Awesome. Let me know how you like it. :)

Will do. It starts a bit convoluted so after I get properly introduced to the world and the characters I'll let you know, but Hickman & Weis were the ones who made me fall in love with the fantasy genre, so I trust this to be great as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

I'm re-reading The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. I've not read it in years and i love the style of comedy and writing.

gamerrr34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 gamerrr34
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

One Stranger to Another by Edwin E. Smith

Very Good!!!

A small review:

Edwin Smith talks about revision, false starts, what poems will last and why it is important to write not just for contemporary publications but for the audiences of Frost, Whitman, and even Keats and Shakespeare. He discusses the value of finding your own voice. And he tells very movingly, how he “often left my warehouse job after a fourteen-hour shift and wrote a sonnet the same way another man might drink a beer or watch a ball game.” Since I felt so connected with the poet, I was surprised that I had trouble getting into his poems. One that Smith considers his best, “Springtime Come,” contains this verse about a seven-year old in a school yard: “…tired from the recess and tarrying there, / giving no thought or fancy to the day / long years later when heavy with days / solitude would be in itself complete,” which to me seems lifeless and excessive. The images of the first poems are good enough, but the poems seem over-written and reaching for meaning and importance they don’t earn. Then in “Aquarium” we are treated to a rich vision of the moon as “some big fish / swimming blunt, / slow and deliberate” and we are suddenly through the doorway of words into a world of surreal beauty. “Dark of the Moon” speculates about what would have happened if they had left Buzz Aldrin stranded on the moon, “separated by more than time and space / from even the rain and the wind.” The moon seems to be a touchstone again revisited in “Café Satellites” “Other planets have many moons, / is ours a spoiled brat only child / twisted insane by loneliness / bound to us not by love but desperation?” Wow!

One of my personal favorites is “Never the Jailer” though I wish Smith would have inverted the two final words “like something worn upon the brow / that isn’t a crown quite.” There is such a nice thing going with the “worn” ”brow” “crown” sounds that the vowels and consonants of “quite” sidetrack. Besides the inverted word order strives too much to be poetic. Getting published in small literary journals may be of questionable benefit, but reciting poems before an open mike helps iron out things the eye may not see, but the ear hears. The people who write poetry and those of us who read it are not “One Stranger to Another.” In fact, we may feel we know each other more intimately than we know our spouses or children. We share an experience, and more significantly, the challenge of grasping that experience in words…

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By Behardy24

Reading Into The Wild for school.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#210 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#211 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

'Shadow and Claw' by Gene Wolfe...which is I guess my first real venture into a fantasy universe. A tad annoying, with all the 'random hard to pronounce' fictional names for just about everything, but the story has me interested enough to stick with it.