What are you currently reading?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.

Great novel.

I recently also finished 1984 by George Orwell, my mind was blown.

What bou you?

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

This thread. :D

Actually, I'm about 80% through a book called, 'Second World', by Jeremy Robinson. He's one of my favorite authors and this one doesn't disappoint.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence.

Other than a few minor plot holes I haven't been able to put it down. As of typing this I have about 20 pages left in it and I went ahead and ordered the rest of the trilogy off Amazon.

It's set roughly 1100 years after a nuclear war and humanity has reverted to a Medieval level society. Magic now works because so many people died at once in the "War of a Thousand Suns" that the gates were left broken.

I hear the other 2 books outshine Prince. Highly recommended for fans of dark fantasy like ASOIAF.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Augustus by Adrian Goldsworthy

It's pretty good so about on par with his Caesar book. Reading it because I have to.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Boddicker

Does nobody else read?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Reading world war z.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Boddicker

@sonicare said:

Reading world war z.

I read that a few months ago. It's pretty good, not perfect, but presents an actually plausible solution to a zombie apocalypse. Very original.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Hmm, let's see. After I finished The Martian by Andy Weir I picked up Blowback by Brad Thor. Probably one of his better novels in the Scot Harvath series. I'm now finishing Takedown, also by Brad Thor, which is the novel right after Blowback. I also bought The Kill Switch by James Rollins and I'm going to read that after.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Boddicker said:

Other than a few minor plot holes I haven't been able to put it down. As of typing this I have about 20 pages left in it and I went ahead and ordered the rest of the trilogy off Amazon.

It's set roughly 1100 years after a nuclear war and humanity has reverted to a Medieval level society. Magic now works because so many people died at once in the "War of a Thousand Suns" that the gates were left broken.

I hear the other 2 books outshine Prince. Highly recommended for fans of dark fantasy like ASOIAF.

It was a decent series but it doesn't hold a candle to ASOIAF.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jasean79

Finished Second World. Currently on 'The Everything Guide to Catholicism' by Richard Gribble. Good book. I like it because he offers a background on the history of the Church, as well as Roman Catholicism and other subject matter relevant to the religion.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Transformation by Carol Berg, it's a great book

@airshocker said:
@Boddicker said:

Actually read Prince of Thorns right before Transformation. It was pretty good but I disliked Jorg for most of the book. Liked him a little better by the end though. Will probably go back and read the rest of the series soon though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I also didn't like Jorg until the second and third book. But I think that was the author's goal.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By chessmaster1989
@airshocker said:

I also didn't like Jorg until the second and third book. But I think that was the author's goal.

Probably, but it did sour me a little on the first book even though I generally liked it. Have a couple things I'm probably going to read first before getting back to it.

Related question, have you read The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Yes. Phenomenal book. Haven't been able to get to the second one yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#18 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Skin Game by Jim Butcher.

To all of the people mentioning Prince of Thorns...never heard of the book. What kind of book is it? "Dark fantasy about a teenager on a vengeance quest" doesn't say much...Also, do you recommend the trilogy?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@korvus said:

Skin Game by Jim Butcher.

To all of the people mentioning Prince of Thorns...never heard of the book. What kind of book is it? "Dark fantasy about a teenager on a vengeance quest" doesn't say much...Also, do you recommend the trilogy?

Read what Bodd wrote about it. It's pretty much it, mixed with "Dark fantasy about a teenager seeking vengeance".

Give the first book a try. You'll never know until you read it. Like I said before, the second and third books made the main character more likable.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#20 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I'm reading Doctor Sleep by Stephen King at the moment. It's all right, has a somewhat neat idea behind it, but so far it's nowhere near as good as a lot of his other books (especially his recent 11/ 22/ 63). With his best books I find that I can't stop reading them but with this one it feels like I'm reading it just because I read The Shining. I've got two books in my backlog, one that I can't remember at all and American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Boddicker

@airshocker@chessmaster1989

I'll go ahead and copy here my review of Prince of Thorns that I published on Amazon. Have you ever heard of KJ Parker? Apparently him and Mark Lawrence have a lot in common, and I was thinking of trying one of his/her trilogies next.

@korvus

I suggest trying out the book for yourself. It's short at a little over 300 pages and can be had off Amazon for like $4. I haven't read the rest of the trilogy yet, but it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. Oh, and don't read my spoiler.

I found some problems with it, but I couldn't put it down and finished it in 3 days. I even ordered the remaining books in the trilogy because they are reportedly much better than Prince. Still, for a first novel it was mildly impressive. If I didn't have the problems with it I've listed below it would have been a solid 4 out 5 stars, but as it stands I can only give it 3.5 out 5 stars. Amazon really needs to amend their rating system to include half stars.

****SPOILERS**** ye be warned

1) So it starts out that Jorg is the leader of almost 40 bandits and LOOT is of utmost importance to them. UT-MOST. Yet this little tidbit of info seemingly goes out the window when a) they willingly follow Jorg to the castle where they were formerly imprisoned/tortured and b) when they go on the seemingly suicide mission to the Red Castle. Not a word is said on this.

2) The Oracle of the Leucrota says that he brings death yet they let him in anyway? WHAT?!?!? How did Jorg know that the Leucrota would have any interest in Father Gomst? Jorg's initial reaction to Gorgoth felt fake for someone who was monstrous and could twist his head off (though that have been the Corion). When the mountain explodes leaving Gorgoth and Mog the sole surviving Leucrota why doesn't Gorgoth have more of a reaction instead of then joining the party? Again not a word is said.

3) This was the biggest pile of poo: So the Tall Castle just happens to contain a document written on plastic pointing to a secret nerve gas cache hidden underneath the Red Castle? After 1100-1200 years I'm expected to believe that?!?!?!?

4) It's obvious that a copy of the Bible has survived they being so prevalent, but I'm also expected to believe books by Plato, Aristotle, Nietzche, and a few other ancient philosophers survived while no other books did? WTH!!!!

Hopefully most or all of these plot holes will be dealt with in later books.

Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King. It's just alright so far, not too thrilling. After this I have two Dark Tower books, so I guess you could say I'm binging on King right now.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Boddicker

@Shadow4020 said:

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King. It's just alright so far, not too thrilling. After this I have two Dark Tower books, so I guess you could say I'm binging on King right now.

I've read a few of his books but in too many the main character was a writer. 1408, Salem's Lot, The Shining, Bag of Bones, Secret Window, Misery, Lisey's Story, and The Dark Half. I'm sure I'm missing a few of his short stories but those aren't my cup of tea.

They say write what you know, and good Lord, Stephen King obviously has. There's also a much smaller degree of psychics in his books but I can forgive him for that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#24 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@Boddicker: Will do =)

fmobliv06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 1

#25 fmobliv06
Member since 2006 • 2429 Posts

I'm currently re-reading one of my favorite series of all time, His Dark Materials. I just started The Amber Spyglass a few nights ago.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

Finished reading "A Raven's Shadow: Book 1: Blood Song" and am now reading book 2 "Tower Lord".

After that I will probably read "Prince of Fools".

I am awaiting the release of "The Broken Eye", and wish Brent Weeks would go back and finish his old Night Angel series.

Also waiting for Patrick Roffuss to release the final book in the Kingkiller Chronicles.

Edit: I just saw the Robin Hobbs released a new book called,"Fool's Assassin". I am tempted to start reading that as well but it's been so many years since I read the original books of the series which covers FitzChivalry's adventures that I would have to read the whole series again to know what is going on and that is at least six large books to cover before getting to the new one.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

After finishing the Hobbit for the third time I finally decided to read The Fellowship of the Ring. Currently a little more than halfway through.

@RyviusARC said:

Finished reading "A Raven's Shadow: Book 1: Blood Song" and am now reading book 2 "Tower Lord".

After that I will probably read "Prince of Fools".

I am awaiting the release of "The Broken Eye", and wish Brent Weeks would go back and finish his old Night Angel series.

Also waiting for Patrick Roffuss to release the final book in the Kingkiller Chronicles.

Edit: I just saw the Robin Hobbs released a new book called,"Fool's Assassin". I am tempted to start reading that as well but it's been so many years since I read the original books of the series which covers FitzChivalry's adventures that I would have to read the whole series again to know what is going on and that is at least six large books to cover before getting to the new one.

How are the Raven's shadow books? I heard good things about them.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban.

I actually just started reading it this morning.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 turtlethetaffer

@Shadow4020 said:

That's his new on right? I have literally no clue what it's about.

Also what other books of his have you read? I've read well over half of them.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#30 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

I've still haven't seen the movie but I'm reading World War Z at the moment

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 chessmaster1989
@airshocker said:

Yes. Phenomenal book. Haven't been able to get to the second one yet.

The sequel is also fantastic. Very highly recommended.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@benleslie5 said:

I've still haven't seen the movie but I'm reading World War Z at the moment

Stay away from the film if you're expecting a good adaptation. It has nothing to do with the book besides sharing the same title.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

just finished A Game of Thrones.. finishing up the first Hunger Games book and gonna jump into A Clash of Kings

Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Shadow4020 said:

Yeah, I think it's the newest. It's about a retired detective trying to track down and stop a guy that ran people over in a Mercedes before he hurts anyone else again. It's not too bad, but it's a bit slow.

I've read: Insomnia, Dreamcatcher, The Stand: Complete, The Dark Half, and The Dark Tower 1-3; not that many, really.

-Fromage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 -Fromage-
Member since 2009 • 10572 Posts

I'm currently working my way through Stephen King's 'Four Past Midnight'.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Brandon Sanderson Elantris. Then I'm reading the Mistborn Trilogy.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 chessmaster1989
@iambatman7986 said:

Elantris is amazing, arguably his best work. I say arguably because The Stormlight Archives (starting with The Way of Kings) is also phenomenal. Mistborn is pretty good, but if you haven't read it yet you should definitely read The Way of Kings before Mistborn.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Boddicker

@airshocker said:
@Boddicker said:

You're of course right (I'm halfway thru King of Thorns and haven't noticed any plotholes yet but neither has it cleared up any presented in Prince). It doesn't hold a candle to ASOIAF, but I'm not going to read unfinished series anymore. I've already forgotten more than I like after finishing Dance with Dragons early last year. I'm going to have to go over the wiki to freshen up when Wind of Winter comes out.

George RR Martin really needs to get writing or his show is going to catch up with him.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Walking Dead compendium 1

it was on sale on Google Play store

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 turtlethetaffer

@Shadow4020 said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Shadow4020 said:

Yeah, I think it's the newest. It's about a retired detective trying to track down and stop a guy that ran people over in a Mercedes before he hurts anyone else again. It's not too bad, but it's a bit slow.

I've read: Insomnia, Dreamcatcher, The Stand: Complete, The Dark Half, and The Dark Tower 1-3; not that many, really.

You should get on that. The Shining, IT, Cujo, 11/ 22/ 63 are all really great and so are a lot of his other books.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Currently reading Django Unchained the comic. Never watched the movie, but comic is being a fun read thus far. If your wondering what it is, it's basically an adaption of Tarantino's first draft of the movie. Which, if converted to screen time, would be 4 hours long! So being able to see QT's original full vision is cool.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@lostrib said:

Walking Dead compendium 1

it was on sale on Google Play store

I just bought it today. It's a pretty big book. I plan to read it through when I go for my 10 hour train ride with my family to LA soon. It's going to be fun reading it!

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I'm still working on the Walking Dead Comics, and also reading through Steven King's Wind Through the Keyhole. Both are great.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#45 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

@chessmaster1989 said:
@iambatman7986 said:

Elantris is amazing, arguably his best work. I say arguably because The Stormlight Archives (starting with The Way of Kings) is also phenomenal. Mistborn is pretty good, but if you haven't read it yet you should definitely read The Way of Kings before Mistborn.

Yes, I hear it is amazing. I am trying to read his Cosmere works in order of Publication though because I hear the Stormlight series is like the Dark Tower, and ties all his other works together and tells the bigger story of the universe. I know it's not necessary, but I'm a completionist so I really can't help it lol.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jasean79

Currently reading 'America: Imagine a World Without Her' by Dinesh D'Souza. Good read so far.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I just started up on A Clash of Kings.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Been making my way through various Alan Moore comics and The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman. I'm pretty new to the world of comics, but so far I've enjoyed a lot of the graphic novels that are available at my local library. I'm also about half-way through The Castle by Franz Kafka.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

Midway through "The long hard road out of hell", the Marilyn Manson autobiography. It's an interesting read to say the least.

Scarebaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Scarebaby
Member since 2008 • 1273 Posts

@fmobliv06 said:

I'm currently re-reading one of my favorite series of all time, His Dark Materials. I just started The Amber Spyglass a few nights ago.

I LOVE that series! Amber Spyglass is my favorite part of it. :)

I'm currently reading the novelization of Alan Wake, rereading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman as well as plowing through a bunch of Captain America. (Ed Brubaker's)