What are you currently reading?

• 137 results
#51 Edited by fmobliv06 (2381 posts) -

@Scarebaby: There's an Alan Wake novel? Huh. How did it hold up against the game? Is it written better than your typical adaption?

#52 Edited by Zassimick (6342 posts) -

Just finishing the first volume in the New 52 line of Aquaman, The Trench. It was a really good read, putting Aquaman in a fantastic light. Loving the New 52 line DC has done, a lot of good stories so far. Next up is Justice League and Swamp Thing, then I'll pick up the second volumes of each of the three series.

Book-wise, reading A Game of Thrones on my Kindle, about 200 pages left. Was planning to continue to A Clash of Kings but I think I'll take a break and read White Noise by Don Delillo. Get some post-modernism up in hurr!

EDIT: I also have to finish Part 1 of the three-part Knightfall collection. Just massive books that are terrific.

#53 Posted by SaudiFury (8707 posts) -

Catching up on Guardians of the Galaxy comics from Marvel.

Also read through most of the first Game of Thrones book.

#54 Posted by Scarebaby (1271 posts) -

@Scarebaby: There's an Alan Wake novel? Huh. How did it hold up against the game? Is it written better than your typical adaption?

I didn't finish the game, sadly. I really loved the story but the gameplay became too repetitive and I just lost interest. Was thinking about giving it another go, though, so might have to put the novel on hold to avoid spoilers.

I'm about 50 pages in and it reads as your average adaptation, no better or worse. :)

#55 Posted by Korvus (3201 posts) -

I'm now reading Mark Lawrence's The Broken Empire Trilogy as per suggestion in this thread. I'm on the second book.

#56 Edited by Zombiekiller360 (368 posts) -

Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk - Just picked it up :)

and Me're Christianity by C.S. Lewis

#57 Posted by dave123321 (33771 posts) -

Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon

#58 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12822 posts) -

Our Mathematical Universe by Max Tegmark. The man's a real nerd.

#59 Posted by Aljosa23 (24739 posts) -

Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon

Nice. I might read it again soon to get ready for the film.

#60 Edited by dave123321 (33771 posts) -

That's actually what I'm doing. Read when it came out.

#61 Edited by awesome3496 (2158 posts) -

Twelve Steps to a Compassionate Life. I have to read it for a class.

#62 Posted by Behardy24 (3058 posts) -

The Walking Dead: Compendium 2

#63 Posted by Behardy24 (3058 posts) -

Just finished reading Before Watchmen: Minute Man and Silk Spectator. A great read. Plan to read the other volumes soon.

#64 Posted by GamerForca (7078 posts) -

A Feast for Crows

#65 Posted by airshocker (29028 posts) -

Currently reading The Blacklist by Brad Thor.

#66 Posted by AgeThe6 (92 posts) -

a lot of Comic books I recently finished up New 52 Teen Titans #29 and #30 and Red Hood and the Outlaws #5 :)

#67 Posted by teske4444 (47 posts) -

I'm reading A Wanted Man by Lee Child. It's part of the Jack Reacher series that the movie was based on. Although they are pretty good, I'd suggest Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series that follows a CIA counter-terrorism assassin. After I read the first one, I couldn't set them down until I read them all.

#68 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150316 posts) -

Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake

#69 Posted by Detroit222 (5283 posts) -

I'm currently on a Terry Pratchett kick. Love Discworld and am reading SNUFF.

#70 Posted by bforrester420 (1347 posts) -

I haven't picked up a book in probably two or three years. Reading kills my sleep. If I read before bed, I'll stay up until 1, 2 a.m. because I won't want to put it down.

#71 Posted by Behardy24 (3058 posts) -

Currently going through Before Watchmen: Nite Owl & Dr. Manhattan and Comedian & Rorschach. When I finish these up, I'll pick up the last volume and once that is wrapped up, I probably going to go through Scott Pilgrim.

#72 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

@Boddicker:

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence.

Other than a few minor plot holes I haven't been able to put it down. As of typing this I have about 20 pages left in it and I went ahead and ordered the rest of the trilogy off Amazon.

It's set roughly 1100 years after a nuclear war and humanity has reverted to a Medieval level society. Magic now works because so many people died at once in the "War of a Thousand Suns" that the gates were left broken.

I hear the other 2 books outshine Prince. Highly recommended for fans of dark fantasy like ASOIAF.

Oh ho, that's a FANTASTIC novel. Lawrence is one of the best fantasy writers on the market. And that opening chapter...brutal, but so bloody fantastic. I'm actually good friends with Mark on facebook. We chat sometimes. :P

Anyway, I'm about to start on Heroes of Ages, the last Mistborn novel. But otherwise, I'm reading The World Before by Karen Traviss and Great North Road by Peter F Hamilton.

#73 Edited by Renevent42 (5126 posts) -

I just finished reading my first comic book (was given to me by a friend)...well I think it was more like 3-4 books in one but it was the Infinity Gauntlet series:

Overall was pretty cool, though honestly a lot of it is fairly corny...and I am a pretty big nerd. I think if I started reading comics when I was younger I would have been totally into it, though.

#74 Posted by JEP_100 (27 posts) -

I am currently reading a book called the Orphan Masters Son. It' a great read and recommend it to anyone who likes to know about third word countries.

#75 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

@airshocker said:

I also didn't like Jorg until the second and third book. But I think that was the author's goal.

Probably, but it did sour me a little on the first book even though I generally liked it. Have a couple things I'm probably going to read first before getting back to it.

Related question, have you read The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson?

I read about half of it when it first came out. My mum bought it for me as a gift, and I was too young at the time to fully pay attention to it. I'll give it another go when I'm done with Mistborn.

Also, for you guys in this thread: check out Joe Abercrombie. He's bloody fantastic. And I mean bloody in every sense of the word. His most loved character is a crippled torturer. Oh yes.

#76 Posted by Behardy24 (3058 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

This thread. :D

Easily one of my favorite threads on this site.

#77 Posted by Master_Live (14170 posts) -

I don't read. I achieve.

#78 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

@behardy24: Agreed. We need more of these. :)

I'll keep posting as long as there's other people to respond/chat to about books. :P

#79 Edited by Aljosa23 (24739 posts) -

Soccernomics. It's about the financial, economic, and also social aspects of soccer/football. Quite good.

#80 Posted by -TheSecondSign- (9185 posts) -

Been reading Christopher Moore lately. Finishing up A Dirty Job.

Tried to get into John Ringo but I just couldn't get into it.

Trying to get back into Terry Pratchett but I haven't had the time.

#81 Posted by airshocker (29028 posts) -

Been reading Christopher Moore lately. Finishing up A Dirty Job.

Tried to get into John Ringo but I just couldn't get into it.

Trying to get back into Terry Pratchett but I haven't had the time.

Ringo is a bit weird but The Last Centurion is fantastic. Probably his best work.

I just finished every Brad Thor novel, which has been my goal for years. His later work blows when it comes to the quality of the writing, but his first four novels were pretty good. He has good stories, he's just become a really lazy author.

Now I'm on the latest James Rollins novel: The 6th Extinction. Fucking AMAZING books(the Sigma Force novels)this guy creates. Anybody who likes science with a dash of great military action should pick up his novels.

#82 Posted by airshocker (29028 posts) -

@korvus said:

I'm now reading Mark Lawrence's The Broken Empire Trilogy as per suggestion in this thread. I'm on the second book.

Do you absolutely hate Jorg yet?

#83 Posted by dave123321 (33771 posts) -

I'm reading infinite jest and audiobooking against the day

#84 Edited by Korvus (3201 posts) -

@airshocker: I'm having trouble sticking with the book...normally I read a whole book (unless it's a ASOIAF =P) in either a day or 2 at bed time...with this trilogy I read one or 2 chapters and I put it down. Jorg is an annoying brat who does have some semblance of a heart, but he tries too hard to deny it.

#85 Posted by dave123321 (33771 posts) -

Need to get back to the audiobook. Mostly am doing okay with it, but at times I get kinda lost with it.

#86 Posted by Korvus (3201 posts) -

Need to get back to the audiobook. Mostly am doing okay with it, but at times I get kinda lost with it.

I could never get into audiobooks. I didn't enjoy being read to to as a child either because I didn't enjoy having to experience the story at somebody else's pace...

#87 Posted by dave123321 (33771 posts) -

That's understandable.

#88 Edited by dave123321 (33771 posts) -

Currently having some issues because the book is really dense and jumps around in time and characters

#89 Posted by Korvus (3201 posts) -

Currently having some issues because the book is really dense and jumps around in time and characters

Yeah, I can see how that would be confusing with an audio book...makes it harder to "go back and check" previous events as well. And if you listen to it once a week or so then it'll be even worse. For books like that you probably have to get it done in 2 or 3 times.

#90 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

@korvus said:

@dave123321 said:

I could never get into audiobooks. I didn't enjoy being read to to as a child either because I didn't enjoy having to experience the story at somebody else's pace...

Yeah, same here. I read really fast, so I can't stand 'em.

Also, picking of Jorg, sure, he's a psychopath, but he's also one of the best characters ever. Seriously, he's brilliant.

#91 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

This thread....well actually I am reading what I type to make sure I don't have a typo.

#92 Posted by ferrari2001 (16811 posts) -

I'm almost done with the 1st Wheel of Time book. Liking it greatly so far. It has a very Tolkien sort of feel. It might take a while to get through the entire series though.

#93 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

@ferrari2001: I tried, but I couldn't get into it. It's still on my shelf, collecting dust with my 1,000+ other books.

Maybe I'll give it another go someday.

#95 Posted by thegamingjunkie (197 posts) -

American Gods by Niel Gaiman - Not exactly keeping me awake

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie - Too big it's depressing for me, yet I recently finished Clash of Kings.

Dead to The World by Charlaine Harris - Makes Jane Austen look like queen of the world.

Basically, just not in a reading mood these days :p But all are absolutely great books!

#96 Posted by madsnakehhh (14151 posts) -

@sonicare said:

Reading world war z.

I read that a few months ago. It's pretty good, not perfect, but presents an actually plausible solution to a zombie apocalypse. Very original.

I liked it but i think it dragged a little bit in the last part, however some of the chapters were really good.

I'm currently reading Just After Sunset by Stephen King, i'm not the biggest Stephen King fan, i always thought he takes too much time to get to the point, but finding out a collection of several short stories where he needs to go straight to the point? count me in.

#97 Posted by EasyComeEasyGo (584 posts) -

Re-reading Star Wars Darth Bane Trilogy books, [my sig below] Darth Bane has always been my favorite Sith Lord and one of the most important Sith in the Star Wars Universe. Once I'm finish reading Darth Bane, I'll look into Star Wars Exar Kun books which I never read any of them before.

#98 Posted by Boddicker (2509 posts) -

@Boddicker said:

@sonicare said:

Reading world war z.

I read that a few months ago. It's pretty good, not perfect, but presents an actually plausible solution to a zombie apocalypse. Very original.

I liked it but i think it dragged a little bit in the last part, however some of the chapters were really good.

I'm currently reading Just After Sunset by Stephen King, i'm not the biggest Stephen King fan, i always thought he takes too much time to get to the point, but finding out a collection of several short stories where he needs to go straight to the point? count me in.

Yeah, I agree with you. I already knew we won, and about 3/4 of the way thru the book when we "won" I was like you can end the book now. Other than that I didn't buy the blind Japanese guy taking on zombies all by himself.

Stephen King does take too long to get to the damn point. I guess he wants to stress the normalcy of the situation before any craziness starts to happen. I've never been into short stories unless you count HP Lovecraft.

#99 Edited by madsnakehhh (14151 posts) -

@madsnakehhh said:

@Boddicker said:

@sonicare said:

Reading world war z.

Yeah, I agree with you. I already knew we won, and about 3/4 of the way thru the book when we "won" I was like you can end the book now. Other than that I didn't buy the blind Japanese guy taking on zombies all by himself.

Stephen King does take too long to get to the damn point. I guess he wants to stress the normalcy of the situation before any craziness starts to happen. I've never been into short stories unless you count HP Lovecraft.

Lol, for some reason, i found that one to be pretty badass...maybe i was in the mood for some random "badassery BS" :P

I couldn't get into Lovecraft, i have a book of his best short stories, and for some reason, i just couldn't get into it, of course The Call of Cthulhu was pretty good, Dagon was pretty good too but The silver Key and The Case of Charles Dexter were...boring IMO, i'm definitely giving him a chance in the near future since i love a good horror/mistery/supernatural book.

#100 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie - Too big it's depressing for me, yet I recently finished Clash of Kings.

Abercrombie is awesome. I love his work. BSC is the one novel of his I don't have yet...but I'll get it soon.

I do have a signed copy of Red Country, though :P