The One Major Flaw of Christianity

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mig_killer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 mig_killer2
Member since 2007 • 4906 Posts

[QUOTE="luke1889"]The major flaw with Christianity is that the requirements to get into Heaven amount to one epic case of duress.LJS9502_basic

What?

I second that
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

dood uz got it all wrong, If your a christain you believe in Jesus, but i was talking to my priest and i was asking him about other faiths and he said that as long as you are a good person and adhere to universal goods that you will go to heaven. He told me this little story to kind of explain it. He said imagine theres all these different boats setting out for a new island. Along the journey overseas some boats will get lost, maybe sink, some will take longer and some will get you to the new island quicker. Christianity is just one of those boats that can get you into Heaven, it is not the only way

st3wi3

That's not the teaching in the NT however.

Darth_Tyrev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#103 Darth_Tyrev
Member since 2005 • 7072 Posts
One major flaw? Lol.
tarunramesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 tarunramesh
Member since 2005 • 1188 Posts
[QUOTE="Silver_Dragon17"]

[QUOTE="manic626"]Before I begin, I am not an Athiest. I do believe in a higher power or "god" of the universe(s). However I cannot accept the Christian version of god. I have tried but there is one nagging fact the keeps me from becoming a Christian.

That is believing in Jesus, gods only son, IS THE ONLY WAY INTO HEAVEN. NO MATTER WHAT VALUES YOU LIVE YOUR LIFE BY. I'll explain.
A serial killer, rapist, career criminal can live his life anyway he wants to. But as long as he sincerely believes in Jesus Christ or accepts him at the last minute. He has bought his way into heaven.
However, someone who lives a just and moral life and does things to help out in society will still end up in hell if he does not believe in Jesus Christ. Believing in a higher power is simply not enough.
I'm sorry but I simply cannot accept this. That would mean the only reason to life, or to live is for Jesus. Which would mean anything else you do in life is meaningless if it wasn't for him. You could simply do whatever you wanted in life and copout at the last moment by sincerly accepting him.

Sorry for the rant but I've always heard Christians say something along this line. And I read a story about someone's near death experience. He was being judged and he found out that he wasn't even close to getting into heaven despite all the good things he's done in his life. When he came back, he said no matter what you do, the only way into heaven is believing in JesusLJS9502_basic

This is absolutely false.

To be a Christian, you must believe in Christ. This much is true. But a serial killer, rapist, etc. can not get into heaven. People who only "believe" in Jesus for afterlife insurance will not enter Heaven.

Wrong. You CAN repent and get into Heaven regardless of prior sins. It's called forgiveness....and Christianity is an advocate of it.

But it's not a flaw...

hey guys pretty much what the above poster said yes you can repent in the last minute and get into heaven. And if thats called forgivness and all, why dont i go out murdering people right now becuase according to you "ill be forgiven" see thats the problem, in my christian beliefs and values teacher said what the TC said, rather in the muslim religion, it says that you have to have good morals and whatnot to get into heaven or what not.

But heres another question for you guys, ever wondered what defines good, something that helps people you might say, well how do you define something that helps people becuase not everything helps someone, society just defines good based upon how they think and its been like that for sometime

Avatar image for Silver_Dragon17
Silver_Dragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#105 Silver_Dragon17
Member since 2007 • 6205 Posts

We should be willing to answer for our own actions! The Bible is essentially a history that we hold in high regard, so why exactly should we only take from history nice comfortable stories about how God helped people in the past and how Christians were proudly martyred for their beliefs?

History is the story of Christ and part of that is taking the bad with the good. Christianity may be true but its followers have not always done right. Besides, God tells Israel in Exodus 20:5 that he punishes the children for the sins of the fathers. Therefore History is integral for Christianity.

And didn't Jesus live like what, TWO THOUSAND Years ago? So his actions are annuled because it was so long ago?

The issues may not be our direct fault, but it is something we should step up, make a positive example and take responsibility for.

-Ophiuchus-

It is not MY actions that I'm answering for! Unless reincarnation is true, which means Christianity is not, I was NOT there at the Crusades, and I didn't do horrible things in the name of Christianity, so who's actions am I answering for?

-Ophiuchus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 -Ophiuchus-
Member since 2006 • 226 Posts
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]

[QUOTE="-Ophiuchus-"]We should be VERY aware of our place in history and the sins we have done in the past. Again, it was OUR predecessors who are now keeping these people from God.

Our past dealings with First Nations is in my mind, should be among our biggest issues but instead it is brushed off like First Nations issues are by Non-Christians.

Regardless of your views these people NEED Christ andwe kept them from Him by our past actions.
mig_killer2

Do you believe in reincarnation or something? Because I know I wasn't alive during the 1400s.

LOL pretty good

You could apply this philosophy to our responsibility to Jesus' teachings.

Jesus told his disciples what to do, so since we weren't around then we don't have to do a thing.

Weallenjoythelegacyofhistory,whyshouldweignorethewrongswedidtogetthere?

Silver_Dragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Silver_Dragon17

One major flaw? Lol.Darth_Tyrev

Well, you certainlycontributed a great deal of intelligence to the topic.:roll:

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="luke1889"]The major flaw with Christianity is that the requirements to get into Heaven amount to one epic case of duress.mig_killer2

What?

I second that

I'm using "duress" in a slightly abstract context there, but if I am to elaborate, I mean that the basic gist of the whole belief in God is "believe in Him or you'll go to Hell."

To me, this seems to be little more than a scare tactic in order to force people to have faith, and it's certainly used as a tactic by many on young children.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 LJS9502_basic

hey guys pretty much what the above poster said yes you can repent in the last minute and get into heaven. And if thats called forgivness and all, why dont i go out murdering people right now becuase according to you "ill be forgiven" see thats the problem, in my christian beliefs and values teacher said what the TC said, rather in the muslim religion, it says that you have to have good morals and whatnot to get into heaven or what not.

But heres another question for you guys, ever wondered what defines good, something that helps people you might say, well how do you define something that helps people becuase not everything helps someone, society just defines good based upon how they think and its been like that for sometime

tarunramesh

No...again you can't assume that you can live you life anyway you want and at the end ask for forgiveness. That attitude in and of itself would be your downfall.

In regard to defining good in the context of religion.....every religion has a guide. Society is not the guide.

mig_killer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 mig_killer2
[QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="luke1889"]The major flaw with Christianity is that the requirements to get into Heaven amount to one epic case of duress.luke1889

What?

I second that

I'm using "duress" in a slightly abstract context there, but if I am to elaborate, I mean that the basic gist of the whole belief in God is "believe in Him or you'll go to Hell."

To me, this seems to be little more than a scare tactic in order to force people to have faith, and it's certainly used as a tactic by many on young children.

its not a scare tactic. God just cant associate himself with sin. This is why he prepared hell for.

People say that you will burn in hell forever, but I dont buy that. Im pretty sure it says its so painful because it is describing what its like to be seperated from God for all eternity. the thought of eternal seperation from God scares me more than a little bit of fire

damariofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 damariofan
Member since 2005 • 564 Posts

[QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"] Well there are like 50,000,000 flaws with christianity, but I'd say the major one is that people believe in it..... Silver_Dragon17

And yet again....intolerance.:roll:

Read my sig, about what the christians did to the Native Americans.. "You have to be white and believe in our god or will rip your freaking heads off and burn you alive!" .... Seriously, talk about intolerance.

That is not what happened. . .also, so what? You're blaming us for what some idiots did hundreds of years ago?:roll:

You blame the Jews for killing Jesus 2000 years ago, don't you?I'm not trying to flame, just pointing out a little flaw in your defense.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 LJS9502_basic

luke1889

Children don't really have a concept....and I was not taught that way. Second....if you want in any group you have dues to pay. You don't get a free ride anywhere. You have to work for what you want.

Silver_Dragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Silver_Dragon17
[QUOTE="Silver_Dragon17"][QUOTE="crusher2002000"]

these ppl claim these r the actual teachings. who's right u? them? nobody knows because its been translated thousands of times over centauries with ppl taking stuff out and putting stuff in.

crusher2002000

*cough*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-canonical_books_referenced_in_the_Bible

And the point is. . .?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 LJS9502_basic

You blame the Jews for killing Jesus 2000 years ago, don't you?I'm not trying to flame, just pointing out a little flaw in your defense.

damariofan

No one blames the Jewish people. :|

tarunramesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 tarunramesh

No...again you can't assume that you can live you life anyway you want and at the end ask for forgiveness. That attitude in and of itself would be your downfall.

In regard to defining good in the context of religion.....every religion has a guide. Society is not the guide.

true i understand what you are saying by guide, but how will that attitude be of thinking be our downfall because if jesus does exist and what they say is true as our sins will be frogiven, we might as well enjoy life by doing what we want and then be forgive, why will that be our downfall,

oh and btw im a athiest :)

Silver_Dragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Silver_Dragon17

[QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"] Well there are like 50,000,000 flaws with christianity, but I'd say the major one is that people believe in it..... damariofan

Read my sig, about what the christians did to the Native Americans.. "You have to be white and believe in our god or will rip your freaking heads off and burn you alive!" .... Seriously, talk about intolerance.

That is not what happened. . .also, so what? You're blaming us for what some idiots did hundreds of years ago?:roll:

Jewish people certainly killed Jesus, but NOT THE JEWISH PEOPLE ALIVE TODAY!!!

crusher2002000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 crusher2002000
Member since 2004 • 645 Posts
[QUOTE="st3wi3"]

dood uz got it all wrong, If your a christain you believe in Jesus, but i was talking to my priest and i was asking him about other faiths and he said that as long as you are a good person and adhere to universal goods that you will go to heaven. He told me this little story to kind of explain it. He said imagine theres all these different boats setting out for a new island. Along the journey overseas some boats will get lost, maybe sink, some will take longer and some will get you to the new island quicker. Christianity is just one of those boats that can get you into Heaven, it is not the only way

LJS9502_basic

That's not the teaching in the NT however.

according to your believe. but his may be different. again i say which interpretion is right i don't know. i cannot believe in sumthing that nobody knows which is right. in order to believe in sumthing like this u need some evidence. yes there is a bible, yes there was a person named jesus. But u have to think back then as well. Ppl couldn't explain certain things. so they thought about what made the most sense. god was a answer they came up with. its like the evolution theory today is another way of trying to explain the unknown. in the end it could be right but nobody knows thats alive today. i hope there is a god though because it would suck if nothing happened after this.

tarunramesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 tarunramesh
this topic is crazy wow so many posts in so few mintues, oh well i gtg ill be back later to see what has spanwed here
slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 slinky6
Member since 2004 • 8521 Posts

[QUOTE="crusher2002000"]i got another flaw. nobody knows what the interpretion is. one church may say one thing another says another. How can one follow this if the churches havent figured out the interpretionLJS9502_basic

If you want to make statements....back them up with some examples. Otherwise, your statement is meaningless.

Lol, hypocrite. You never give examples, LJ.
luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
[QUOTE="luke1889"][QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="luke1889"]The major flaw with Christianity is that the requirements to get into Heaven amount to one epic case of duress.mig_killer2

What?

I second that

its not a scare tactic. God just cant associate himself with sin. This is why he prepared hell for.

People say that you will burn in hell forever, but I dont buy that. Im pretty sure it says its so painful because it is describing what its like to be seperated from God for all eternity. the thought of eternal seperation from God scares me more than a little bit of fire

Technically it's not a scare tactic; I can appreciate that. However, it is often presented as one. I know for a fact that I, as well as countless others no doubt, was taught that you should have belief in God lest you go to Hell. And sure enough, Hell is depicted in as vile and evil manner as possible. I've been through all that.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 LJS9502_basic

true i understand what you are saying by guide, but how will that attitude be of thinking be our downfall because if jesus does exist and what they say is true as our sins will be frogiven, we might as well enjoy life by doing what we want and then be forgive, why will that be our downfall,

oh and btw im a athiest :)

tarunramesh

The attitude that you can do what you want and then ask for forgiveness. It doesn't work that way...you have to truly be sorry...and with that attitude that wouldn't be the case. You'd definitely have had to have a change of heart along the way.....which means you can't think like you state.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

[QUOTE="manic626"]Before I begin, I am not an Athiest. I do believe in a higher power or "god" of the universe(s). However I cannot accept the Christian version of god. I have tried but there is one nagging fact the keeps me from becoming a Christian.

That is believing in Jesus, gods only son, IS THE ONLY WAY INTO HEAVEN. NO MATTER WHAT VALUES YOU LIVE YOUR LIFE BY. I'll explain.
A serial killer, rapist, career criminal can live his life anyway he wants to. But as long as he sincerely believes in Jesus Christ or accepts him at the last minute. He has bought his way into heaven.
However, someone who lives a just and moral life and does things to help out in society will still end up in hell if he does not believe in Jesus Christ. Believing in a higher power is simply not enough.
I'm sorry but I simply cannot accept this. That would mean the only reason to life, or to live is for Jesus. Which would mean anything else you do in life is meaningless if it wasn't for him. You could simply do whatever you wanted in life and copout at the last moment by sincerly accepting him.

Sorry for the rant but I've always heard Christians say something along this line. And I read a story about someone's near death experience. He was being judged and he found out that he wasn't even close to getting into heaven despite all the good things he's done in his life. When he came back, he said no matter what you do, the only way into heaven is believing in Jesusst3wi3

I always love reading about people using a boating story as a reason for their existence.

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts

[QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"] Well there are like 50,000,000 flaws with christianity, but I'd say the major one is that people believe in it..... damariofan

Stop posting. For your own sake....
Silver_Dragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Silver_Dragon17
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="crusher2002000"]i got another flaw. nobody knows what the interpretion is. one church may say one thing another says another. How can one follow this if the churches havent figured out the interpretionslinky6

If you want to make statements....back them up with some examples. Otherwise, your statement is meaningless.

LJ isn't making baseless claims on something he knows nothing about.;)

-Ophiuchus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 -Ophiuchus-
[QUOTE="damariofan"][QUOTE="Silver_Dragon17"]

[QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"] Well there are like 50,000,000 flaws with christianity, but I'd say the major one is that people believe in it..... Silver_Dragon17

What? Its the same race, same belief,and some say they'd do the same again, but if given the chance wouldn't we christians let them?

The Crusifixion turned out to be a good thing in the end didn't it?

Anyway WHAT GIVES US THE PLACE TO JUDGE ANYBODY BUT OURSELVES is my point.

mig_killer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 mig_killer2
[QUOTE="damariofan"][QUOTE="Silver_Dragon17"]

[QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"] Well there are like 50,000,000 flaws with christianity, but I'd say the major one is that people believe in it..... CptJSparrow

Stop posting. For your own sake....

yeah, just stop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
[QUOTE="tarunramesh"]

LJS9502_basic

In addition, just because you ask for forgiveness doesn't mean you'll receive it.
Silver_Dragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Silver_Dragon17
[

What?Itsthesamerace,samebelief,andsomesaythey'ddothesameagain,butifgiventhechancewouldn'twechristiansletthem?

TheCrusifixionturned out to be a good thing in the end didn't it?

AnywayWHATGIVESUSTHEPLACETOJUDGEANYBODYBUTOURSELVESismypoint.

-Ophiuchus-

S P A C E B A R .

These aren't the same people. Now, you're the one making rather racist claims.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="crusher2002000"]i got another flaw. nobody knows what the interpretion is. one church may say one thing another says another. How can one follow this if the churches havent figured out the interpretionslinky6

Example of what? I give examples if I make a statement. :|

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 slinky6
[QUOTE="-Ophiuchus-"][

What?Itsthesamerace,samebelief,andsomesaythey'ddothesameagain,butifgiventhechancewouldn'twechristiansletthem?

TheCrusifixionturned out to be a good thing in the end didn't it?

AnywayWHATGIVESUSTHEPLACETOJUDGEANYBODYBUTOURSELVESismypoint.

Silver_Dragon17

S P A C E B A R .

It's a glitch on GameSpot. It happens to lots of people.
manic626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 manic626
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts

dood uz got it all wrong, If your a christain you believe in Jesus, but i was talking to my priest and i was asking him about other faiths and he said that as long as you are a good person and adhere to universal goods that you will go to heaven. He told me this little story to kind of explain it. He said imagine theres all these different boats setting out for a new island. Along the journey overseas some boats will get lost, maybe sink, some will take longer and some will get you to the new island quicker. Christianity is just one of those boats that can get you into Heaven, it is not the only wayst3wi3

This is what I am talking about. Thats why I can't become a Christian. I've always believed that if you live your life morally and believe in god the your not going to hell. Why would you deserve that kind of fate?

However with Christians, you MUST believe in thier version of god. There is no other way.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 slinky6

[QUOTE="st3wi3"]

dood uz got it all wrong, If your a christain you believe in Jesus, but i was talking to my priest and i was asking him about other faiths and he said that as long as you are a good person and adhere to universal goods that you will go to heaven. He told me this little story to kind of explain it. He said imagine theres all these different boats setting out for a new island. Along the journey overseas some boats will get lost, maybe sink, some will take longer and some will get you to the new island quicker. Christianity is just one of those boats that can get you into Heaven, it is not the only waymanic626

This is what I am talking about. Thats why I can't become a Christian. I've always believed that if you live your life morally and believe in god the your not going to hell. Why would you deserve that kind of fate?

However with Christians, you MUST believe in thier version of god. There is no other way.

What kind of God would make your eternity dependant on believing in him and then not give any evidence of his existence?
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
[QUOTE="slinky6"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="crusher2002000"]i got another flaw. nobody knows what the interpretion is. one church may say one thing another says another. How can one follow this if the churches havent figured out the interpretionLJS9502_basic

Do you have examples of you making a statement?:D
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="st3wi3"]

dood uz got it all wrong, If your a christain you believe in Jesus, but i was talking to my priest and i was asking him about other faiths and he said that as long as you are a good person and adhere to universal goods that you will go to heaven. He told me this little story to kind of explain it. He said imagine theres all these different boats setting out for a new island. Along the journey overseas some boats will get lost, maybe sink, some will take longer and some will get you to the new island quicker. Christianity is just one of those boats that can get you into Heaven, it is not the only waymanic626

Dude....it's their God's Heaven. If you want to believe in something else....feel free to do so. Just don't expect to be accepted by a God you deny.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 LJS9502_basic
Do you have examples of you making a statement?:DCptJSparrow

Funny.....:lol:

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 slinky6
[QUOTE="slinky6"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

The one topic where I asked "If the bad things people do are not because of religion, but rather human nature, aren't all the supposed benefits of religion also based purely on human nature?" You replied "No" and that was it. No example in a place where an example was sorely needed.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 LJS9502_basic
The one topic where I asked "If the bad things people do are not because of religion, but rather human nature, aren't all the supposed benefits of religion also based purely on human nature?" You replied "No" and that was it. No example in a place where an example was sorely needed.
slinky6

Actually you said answer the question...so I did. And I explained it in another post. Feel free to look it up. Though to be honest....that's an opinion question.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="slinky6"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Well, one of the supposed benefits of most religions is interaction with a spiritual being.

That is common knowledge and needs no proof and since that is one of religion's supposed benefits, all of religion's benefits aren't based purely on human nature.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 slinky6
[QUOTE="slinky6"] The one topic where I asked "If the bad things people do are not because of religion, but rather human nature, aren't all the supposed benefits of religion also based purely on human nature?" You replied "No" and that was it. No example in a place where an example was sorely needed.
LJS9502_basic

Actually you said answer the question...so I did. And I explained it in another post. Feel free to look it up. Though to be honest....that's an opinion question.

An explanation of the reasoning behind your answer would have been nice. You couldn't give me one though. You just said "I answered your question, that's all I have to do." Which is a bad response if you want people to take you seriously.
huladog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#140 huladog123
Member since 2005 • 4212 Posts
Before I begin, I am not an Athiest. I do believe in a higher power or "god" of the universe(s). However I cannot accept the Christian version of god. I have tried but there is one nagging fact the keeps me from becoming a Christian.

Sorry for the rant but I've always heard Christians say something along this line. And I read a story about someone's near death experience. He was being judged and he found out that he wasn't even close to getting into heaven despite all the good things he's done in his life. When he came back, he said no matter what you do, the only way into heaven is believing in Jesusmanic626
Well, no matter how sad you think it is, the Bible is true, because when Jesus was dying on the cross, two theives were being crucified on his right and his left. One of them said to Jesus, "Lord, remember me, when you go back to your Kingdom." and you know what Jesus said? "Friend, rest assured, today you will be with me in heaven." But the other thief rejected Jesus, and went to hell. See! Right there! The thief who stole and assulted people turned to Jesus for Salvation in his final hour and was saved. The worst murderer, rapist, thief, and assulter in the world can turn to God for salvation. You aren't ever too old, too young, too bad, or too good to accept God into your life. SO why don[t you do it? Would you really rather be in hell for eternity after you die?
-Ophiuchus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 -Ophiuchus-

So I'm leaving the issue to rest, This conversation is not the place and I am part Jewish by the way. I'm saying we should forgive the people for what they did, not hold it against THEM. EVER. But we SHOULD hold OURSELVES accountable for what WE as Christians did in the past.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="slinky6"] The one topic where I asked "If the bad things people do are not because of religion, but rather human nature, aren't all the supposed benefits of religion also based purely on human nature?" You replied "No" and that was it. No example in a place where an example was sorely needed.
slinky6

An explanation of the reasoning behind your answer would have been nice. You couldn't give me one though. You just said "I answered your question, that's all I have to do." Which is a bad response if you want people to take you seriously.

Again....no. This is obviously why you didn't see the answer. You don't read the post. Read the above over.

manic626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 manic626
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts
[QUOTE="manic626"]

[QUOTE="st3wi3"]

dood uz got it all wrong, If your a christain you believe in Jesus, but i was talking to my priest and i was asking him about other faiths and he said that as long as you are a good person and adhere to universal goods that you will go to heaven. He told me this little story to kind of explain it. He said imagine theres all these different boats setting out for a new island. Along the journey overseas some boats will get lost, maybe sink, some will take longer and some will get you to the new island quicker. Christianity is just one of those boats that can get you into Heaven, it is not the only wayLJS9502_basic

Dude....it's their God's Heaven. If you want to believe in something else....feel free to do so. Just don't expect to be accepted by a God you deny.

Yeah, but I don't wanna burn in hell because I don't believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to god. Buddist believe in reincarnation. What if that's true? What if god or the workings of the universe need your soul or energy to be placed in another being, whether on this earth or elsewhere?

I read a writing by a Christian bashing the Buddists. He said Reincarnation is an excuse for the Buddists to delay judgement by god and escape the torments of hell.

crusher2002000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 crusher2002000
Member since 2004 • 645 Posts

back to topic. the last flaw is that christians use their religion for political purposes.

ex. support israel because the bible tells you that is where their suppose to live. regardless of the fact that britain gave the land to the jews after ww2 disregarding thousands of people that lived there. and to continue supporting them after bullying palestine over the past 60 years. with this support mainly religious influence it has cause hatred for us and brought nutjobs in power such as the leader of iran

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 LJS9502_basic

So I'm leaving the issue to rest, This conversation is not the place and I am part Jewish by the way. I'm saying we should forgive the people for what they did, not hold it against THEM. EVER. But we SHOULD hold OURSELVES accountable for what WE as Christians did in the past.

-Ophiuchus-

WE didn't do anything in the past.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 slinky6

all of religion's benefits aren't based purely on human nature.

guynamedbilly
You're probably right about that. But in that case it has to work the other way around in that all of religion's supposed detriments aren't based purely on human nature either. LJ was trying to argue that all of the supposed faults of religion weren't faults of religion at all, but rather faults of humans.
-Ophiuchus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 -Ophiuchus-
But Christianity is not about having all the answers, its about the big picture like Judaism is. Part of belief is not having a religion that can be
explained in terms of human thought, but that has spaces that can only be explained by Divinity's thought. What is more appealing? A religion with fully fleshed out details that could easily be man made or a religion that has apparent gaps? In my mind this proves that Christianity is made by God, not man. What 'gaps' there are are left until we take on Perfection in Body and Mind in a renewed creation.

To be very cheesy,remember the Longest Journey? Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where. That's probably the best game-related description of the Christianity I can think of.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]

all of religion's benefits aren't based purely on human nature.

slinky6

You're probably right about that. But in that case it has to work the other way around in that all of religion's supposed detriments aren't based purely on human nature either. LJ was trying to argue that all of the supposed faults of religion weren't faults of religion at all, but rather faults of humans.

And my argument stands. Humans take what they want and do with it what they want. You can't blame a religion that states clearly to turn the other cheek when attacked and blame the message for mankind killing and terrorizing others. That is the HUMAN element at work.:roll:

damariofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 damariofan
Member since 2005 • 564 Posts
[QUOTE="Silver_Dragon17"][QUOTE="damariofan"][QUOTE="Silver_Dragon17"]

[QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"] Well there are like 50,000,000 flaws with christianity, but I'd say the major one is that people believe in it..... -Ophiuchus-

What? Its the same race, same belief,and some say they'd do the same again, but if given the chance wouldn't we christians let them?

The Crusifixion turned out to be a good thing in the end didn't it?

Anyway WHAT GIVES US THE PLACE TO JUDGE ANYBODY BUT OURSELVES is my point.

That's where you're a bit off, Oph. Judaism and Christianity arenot the same religion. Likewise, they have different beliefs. In fact, Judaism carries around 600 more lawsthan Christianity, just to point some facts. Eg, while Gospel points out that if you're not a christian, you're going to hell, the Jewish core belief is that everyone goes to heaven-if you are good. (According to Judaism any non-Jew who lives according to these laws is regarded as a Righteous Gentile and furthermore only a non-Jew who carefully abides by these laws is assured of a place in the world to come) As cited from here.

1ND1FF3R3NT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 1ND1FF3R3NT
Member since 2006 • 3162 Posts
What you see as a "flaw" is a result of you not fully understanding the religion, and some of the more detailed concepts within it.