Should we ban alcohol again?

• 162 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Z00M4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Z00M4
Member since 2016 • 114 Posts

I support this motion

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#102 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

I think more importantly religion should be banned. It kills more people then ... well... ANYTHING.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

@Skarwolf said:

I think more importantly religion should be banned. It kills more people then ... well... ANYTHING.

Dumb. Link?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts

One of these again. One....Prohibition didn't work. Two.....moderate use does have benefits. Three.....why do people want government parenting. Damn.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

@senses_fail_06 said:
@Skarwolf said:

Dumb. Link?

How about a picture?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 LJS9502_basic

@Serraph105: Which was because they were mad at Western countries getting involved in the ME....duh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#107  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
@Skarwolf said:

Or diarrhea, or the poor evolution of our teeth in relation to our jawline, or numerous parasites, viruses and bacterial infections. Religion has killed it's millions, and needs to continue to lose it's hallowed place within all areas. It is not the most prolific killer of humans.

It is worth noting that when religions are suppressed, they become more monstrous, same way they become monstrous when they are the one's doing the oppressing. As Freud postulated in the Future of An Illusion, religion is not likely to go away when people are still afraid of death, the dark, and things we do not understand.

And LJS9502_basic are you trolling the stupidity of his original statement, or are you being serious?

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 senses_fail_06

@Serraph105 said:
@senses_fail_06 said:
@Skarwolf said:

Dumb. Link?

How about a picture?

I don't think we're even close:

https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics/trends-statistics/overdose-death-rates

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 LJS9502_basic

@hillelslovak said:
@Skarwolf said:

Or diarrhea, or the poor evolution of our teeth in relation to our jawline, or numerous parasites, viruses and bacterial infections. Religion has killed it's millions, and needs to continue to lose it's hallowed place within all areas. It is not the most prolific killer of humans.

It is worth noting that when religions are suppressed, they become more monstrous, same way they become monstrous when they are the one's doing the oppressing. As Freud postulated in the Future of An Illusion, religion is not likely to go away when people are still afraid of death, the dark, and things we do not understand.

And LJS9502_basic are you trolling the stupidity of his original statement, or are you being serious?

I'm not trolling....if you think 911 happened over religion and not political issues then nothing is going to help change that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@LJS9502_basic said:
@hillelslovak said:
@Skarwolf said:

I'm not trolling....if you think 911 happened over religion and not political issues then nothing is going to help change that.

So if the root was not Islam, please explain the Muslim empires of war, the Barbary Raids, The consistent murder and pogroms against Jews in the Middle East, The murder of christians all over Africa, and the indiscriminate murdering of Hindus and Buddhists in the Kashmir region of India.

Also explain to me why Osama Bin Laden, a man whose familial wealth is in US banks, whose family members live in the USA, and who has no history of being oppressed by US foreign policy, led a Jihad against the US.

Please explain why people of all other religions in the world who are oppressed by US foreign policy, and ravaged by poverty, do not bomb non combatants as well.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 LJS9502_basic

@hillelslovak said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

So if the root was not Islam, please explain the Muslim empires of war, the Barbary Raids, The consistent murder and pogroms against Jews in the Middle East, The murder of christians all over Africa, and the indiscriminate murdering of Hindus and Buddhists in the Kashmir region of India.

Also explain to me why Osama Bin Laden, a man whose familial wealth is in US banks, whose family members live in the USA, and who has no history of being oppressed by US foreign policy, led a Jihad against the US.

Please explain why people of all other religions in the world who are oppressed by US foreign policy, and ravaged by poverty, do not bomb non combatants as well.

So you post your opinion without documentation and think that matters. Come on dude you know better.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 senses_fail_06

@hillelslovak: many of your arguments are simply attributed to the fault of religion for argument's sake. The problems in the Kashmir for instance. Is it really Hindus and Muslims killing each other "over religion" or is it that the territory has been disputed ever since India was divided?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@LJS9502_basic said:
@hillelslovak said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

So you post your opinion without documentation and think that matters. Come on dude you know better.

You made the positive claim, the burden of proof is upon you. And I think you know that. You are free to refute my claims

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Muslim_empires_and_dynasties

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_slave_trade

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anti-Jewish_pogroms_by_Muslims This only shows a couple dozen. There are hundreds of lesser examples, and they continue today.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/attacks/christian-attacks.aspx This is a gigantic list, and only goes back to 2001.

persecution of Hindus and Buddhists in the East:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Hindus

https://themuslimissue.wordpress.com/2015/08/31/islamic-invasion-of-india-the-greatest-genocide-in-history/

http://markhumphrys.com/islam.killings.html a larger primer on the Muslim conquests, and their religious justification for doing so.

https://www.politicalislam.com/tears-of-jihad/ an overall bodycount of numerous Muslim conquests and massacres, with India and The East included

Osama Bin Laden and his family

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bin_Laden_family

http://factsanddetails.com/world/cat58/sub386/item2359.html

On islam being a unique threat, and debunking the myth of poverty and oppression causing Jihad:

http://markhumphrys.com/root.cause.html

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/patrick-goodenough/administration-s-poverty-islamic-terrorism-link-has-been-challenged

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#114 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

No... Bann soda instead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@senses_fail_06 said:

@hillelslovak: many of your arguments are simply attributed to the fault of religion for argument's sake. The problems in the Kashmir for instance. Is it really Hindus and Muslims killing each other "over religion" or is it that the territory has been disputed ever since India was divided?

Muslims were killing Hindus and Buddhists long before the partition.......

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 senses_fail_06

@hillelslovak: and people have fought over land before religion existed...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@senses_fail_06 said:

@hillelslovak: and people have fought over land before religion existed...

And when your religion explicitly tells you to seize all land you can find, as well as convert, enslave or kill everyone who does not believe what you do?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Serraph105

I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to start all that. Yes I believe religion was a factor in the 9-11 attacks. I don't however mean to say that religion is the cause of more death than anything else. I was simply making the point that religion causes a lot of death and that it's not exactly a dumb claim to make.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 LJS9502_basic

@hillelslovak: Yeah not what I asked you.

@senses_fail_06 said:

Correct. Humans have killed over land and resources more than any other issue throughout history.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@LJS9502_basic said:

@senses_fail_06 said:

Correct. Humans have killed over land and resources more than any other issue throughout history.

Are you guys just going to ignore all of Islam's deeds that were about spreading the faith? The Muslims were slaughtering in Kashmir before the partitioning. Also, if it is all about land, why are the Muslims hemming in Jews on all sides, with the Jews returning the favor on the Gaza strip? Why this tiny, insignificant speck of land?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 LJS9502_basic

@hillelslovak said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@senses_fail_06 said:

Are you guys just going to ignore all of Islam's deeds that were about spreading the faith? The Muslims were slaughtering in Kashmir before the partitioning. Also, if it is all about land, why are the Muslims hemming in Jews on all sides, with the Jews returning the favor on the Gaza strip? Why this tiny, insignificant speck of land?

You do know they are fighting over land....right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@LJS9502_basic said:
@hillelslovak said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@senses_fail_06 said:

You do know they are fighting over land....right?

And why are they fighting over that specific piece of land? Because their holy books each give them a right to it.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#124 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Get back on track, people! Seriously, we have enough shit political threads already without hijacking a thread that has NOTHING to do with 9/11!

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#125 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3878 Posts

The height of stupidity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different outcome.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#126 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Doesn't matter to me, I rarely ever drink, negatives far outweigh the positives.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#127  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

Some people never learn...

What have we learned about prohibition?

• It has very little impact on demand
  • It has very little impact on supply
  • It creates violent crime by putting a very profitable business in the hands of criminals instead of legitimate businesses

Seriously, during the first decade fo the 1900s, the murder rate in the U.S. was around 5.5 per 100,000 and jumped to 8.4 per after the Harrison Narcotics act was enacted a decade later.

Not only did people continute to consume alcohol, but many ended up, knowingly or unknowingly, consuming wood alcohol (methly alcohol) and poisioning themselves. It's the same thing we're seeing with the opiate epidemic today. People can't get their vicodin so they're turning to herion (often laced with fentanyl) and overdosing.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 bforrester420

@Archangel3371 said:

@intotheminx: No, thankfully smoking in indoor establishments has been prohibited here. I live in Ontario, Canada by the way. Still though there are plenty of places where I still come in contact with cigarette smoke outdoors whether it be from strangers or friends and family. While in some instances I can reasonably avoid it however there are many times that I cannot. Even in my own apartment I sometimes get cigarette smoke entering my place.

We've got millions of cars and trucks on our roads spitting out noxious fumes from their exhaust, and you want to complain about the occasional exposure to second hand smoke?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#129 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44627 Posts

@bforrester420: Sure. Why not? That's a stawman argument. Me complaining about one problem doesn't mean I don't care about other problems going on in the world.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 bforrester420

@Archangel3371: I'm just pointing out that the occasional second hand smoke exposure is so insignificant to not warrant a complaint. I mean, it is within your ability to remove yourself from those exposures.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#131 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44627 Posts

@bforrester420: Well as I said before in this thread it's not always possible to reasonably avoid such occurrences. Personally I don't find second hand smoke insignificant in the first place though.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

• It creates violent crime by putting a very profitable business in the hands of criminals instead of legitimate businesses

Seriously, during the first decade fo the 1900s, the murder rate in the U.S. was around 5.5 per 100,000 and jumped to 8.4 per after the Harrison Narcotics act was enacted a decade later.

Not only did people continute to consume alcohol, but many ended up, knowingly or unknowingly, consuming wood alcohol (methly alcohol) and poisioning themselves. It's the same thing we're seeing with the opiate epidemic today. People can't get their vicodin so they're turning to herion (often laced with fentanyl) and overdosing.

But prohibition did what it was suppose to do, it reduced consumption of alcohol. However the real issue is all of the vices and issues prohibition advocates tied to consumption of alcohol actually became worse as it turned many previously law abiding citizens into criminals, and naturally once they crossed that line there's no real incentive to prevent them from engaging in other illegal activities as well.

I've always maintained that law is only effective when overwhelming majority of population agree with it. If a significant portion of citizens don't believe in the legitimacy of the law then you risk turning large segment of the population into criminals giving rise to criminal activities and associate problems that brings. Prohibition is the perfect analogy for why gun ban would be disastrous as well.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56488 Posts

Should we ban alcohol again?

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

Pretty much demonstrates why banning alcohol serves no real purpose.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#135 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@sonicare:

I would literally kill myself if it was banned. That or take up weed or smoking.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 nepu7supastar7

@Serraph105:

Not every religion caused 9/11. That's like banning black people for a few murderers

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By bmanva

@killered3 said:

@Serraph105:

Not every religion caused 9/11. That's like banning black people for a few murderers

Or banning guns for a few mass shootings. Safe to say it's lazy and shortsighted anytime you attribute guilt over a large portion of the population for criminal behavior of a few individuals.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 nepu7supastar7

@bmanva:

Exactly!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@bmanva said:
@bforrester420 said:

But prohibition did what it was suppose to do, it reduced consumption of alcohol.However the real issue is all of the vices and issues prohibition advocates tied to consumption of alcohol actually became worse as it turned many previously law abiding citizens into criminals, and naturally once they crossed that line there's no real incentive to prevent them from engaging in other illegal activities as well.

I've always maintained that law is only effective when overwhelming majority of population agree with it. If a significant portion of citizens don't believe in the legitimacy of the law then you risk turning large segment of the population into criminals giving rise to criminal activities and associate problems that brings. Prohibition is the perfect analogy for why gun ban would be disastrous as well.

No it did not. Consumption went down for a month or two, then skyrocketed when speakeasys, homes stills, processing factories and boat routes were set up. That was one of the main perverse comedies at play during prohibition.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Serraph105

@killered3: @bmanva: Please see the below response.

@Serraph105 said:

I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to start all that. Yes I believe religion was a factor in the 9-11 attacks. I don't however mean to say that religion is the cause of more death than anything else. I was simply making the point that religion causes a lot of death and that it's not exactly a dumb claim to make.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By bforrester420

@hillelslovak said:
@bmanva said:
@bforrester420 said:

But prohibition did what it was suppose to do, it reduced consumption of alcohol.However the real issue is all of the vices and issues prohibition advocates tied to consumption of alcohol actually became worse as it turned many previously law abiding citizens into criminals, and naturally once they crossed that line there's no real incentive to prevent them from engaging in other illegal activities as well.

No it did not. Consumption went down for a month or two, then skyrocketed when speakeasys, homes stills, processing factories and boat routes were set up. That was one of the main perverse comedies at play during prohibition.

There's really no way to tell either way. Once alcohol production/sales went underground, there was absolutely no way to track it's consumption. I mean, it wasn't like the bootleggers paid taxes for their illicit sales.

It has been shown, however, that the death rate from causes that are can be linked to alcohol abuse (suicide and liver ailments, for example) did decrease duing the years after Prohibition was enacted, which casually suggest a drop in consumption. Personally, however, I do not believe those positives outweigh the negatives introduced with the emergence of organized crime.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@bforrester420 said:
@hillelslovak said:
@bmanva said:
@bforrester420 said:

There's really no way to tell either way. Once alcohol production/sales went underground, there was absolutely no way to track it's consumption. I mean, it wasn't like the bootleggers paid taxes for their illicit sales.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w3675

http://www.druglibrary.org/prohibitionresults1.htm

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By bforrester420

@hillelslovak said:
@bforrester420 said:
@hillelslovak said:
@bmanva said:
@bforrester420 said:

http://www.nber.org/papers/w3675

http://www.druglibrary.org/prohibitionresults1.htm

Those links support the argument that consumption was decreased from pre-Prohibition levels. Yes, consumption dropped sharply at first, but then rose to 60-70% of the pre-Prohibition consumption levels.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 bmanva

@hillelslovak said:
@bmanva said:
@bforrester420 said:

Talk about missing the point.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56488 Posts

@killered3 said:

@sonicare:

I would literally kill myself if it was banned. That or take up weed or smoking.

For me, I rather have sex with a bunch of girls then Alcohol. If they want to banned it, fine by me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@bmanva said:
@hillelslovak said:
@bmanva said:
@bforrester420 said:

I got the point. Critiquing one portion of one's statement is not ignoring the rest of the statement.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 nepu7supastar7

@Serraph105:

On Earth, a million things can kill you. Animals, disease, famine, people, Earthquakes, nuclear weapons, bio weapons, hell, even disastrous weather!

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By bmanva

@hillelslovak said:
@bmanva said:
@hillelslovak said:
@bmanva said:
@bforrester420 said:

I got the point. Critiquing one portion of one's statement is not ignoring the rest of the statement.

Sure, if you want to resort yourself to the level of a grammar nazi and scrutinize every minor details of someone's post, go right ahead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@bmanva said:
@hillelslovak said:
@bmanva said:
@hillelslovak said:
@bmanva said:

Sure, if you want to resort yourself to the level of a grammar nazi and scrutinize every minor details of someone's post, go right ahead.

So critiquing one claim within your statement is akin to nitpicking your grammar? Please explain.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Serraph105

@killered3: why yes, yes indeed.