Should we ban alcohol again?

• 162 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I often see in gun defense threads that people facetiously suggest banning cars or knives when those are involved in killings. But that's not practical as cars and knives have very needed and useful functions. Their primary function is very beneficial to society.

However, alcohol really doesn't have any benefits. The only known major benefit of alcohol is helping fat chicks get laid. But other than that, it's uses are almost all detrimental.

It kills people, lots and lots of people. 10,000 people a year are killed in drunk driving accidents. Likely over a 100,000 people a year die from healthy related complications of alcohol. It facilitates violence, rape, and waking up next to ugly people.

Where is the outrage over this? Sure, we have some laws to try and mitigate this, but they don't work and are half assed at best. Yes, don't drink and drive - so why do we allow restaraunts that serve more than one drink or bars that serve shots? Quarter drafts, dollar shots? Isn't that creating the ideal situation for drunk driving?

We could eliminate almost all drunk driving deaths by improved restrictions and regulations. Common sense laws. I'd like CNN to do a special on this crisis with a picture of a martini glass with a skull and cross bones on it.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@plageus900 said:

This is not a thread about LSD. That's a whole different issue.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44321 Posts

No but I wouldn't be opposed to them banning cigarettes and other tobacco products. Every time I'm around people who smoke I feel like I'm suffocating. Such a disgusting habit.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

But...think of those poor women.

Why would you want to limit their selection of sausages to just the ones at the butcher?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

hahahahahahahaha

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

Sure, look at how that turned out. Al Capone anyone?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The government makes too much money on the sale and production of alcohol for it to be banned.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@Kruiz_Bathory said:

That's why you have to ban guns and alcohol simultaneously.

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AND1SALTTAPE
Member since 2015 • 861 Posts

I agree with you, OP. Useless entertainment is useless regardless of whatever freedom you want to shove on your own face. But of course, muh freedom triumphs all.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

No, unless you want even more problems with organized crime than you already have.

Legalize cannabis instead.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#13 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Yes! I can become involved in trafficking bootleg Canadian whiskey across the border for outrageous profit!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

@sonicare said:

However, alcohol really doesn't have any benefits.

Alcohol in moderation has medical benefits. You're wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#15  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

This country was founded on personal freedoms and responsibilities. This includes the freedom to kill yourself with alcohol. Prohibition is a childish notion pushed forward by a bunch of religious boobs, and we have already seen it's horrid price.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#16 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

No but I wouldn't be opposed to them banning cigarettes and other tobacco products. Every time I'm around people who smoke I feel like I'm suffocating. Such a disgusting habit.

So is drinking, if you think about it. Drinkers slowly kill their brain and liver cells. People get intoxicated and throw up, many times on other people. Alcohol quells inhibitions and causes people to become violent, and also rape women. Then, there's also the thousands upon thousands of drunk driver accidents every year. Alcohol is very much a public health hazard, which is why public intoxication is illegal. Public smoking isn't, so if you you want tobacco banned, you should also want alcohol banned.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic

@JustPlainLucas said:
@Archangel3371 said:

So is drinking, if you think about it. Drinkers slowly kill their brain and liver cells. People get intoxicated and throw up, many times on other people. Alcohol quells inhibitions and causes people to become violent, and also rape women. Then, there's also the thousands upon thousands of drunk driver accidents every year. Alcohol is very much a public health hazard, which is why public intoxication is illegal. Public smoking isn't, so if you you want tobacco banned, you should also want alcohol banned.

You're talking about over drinking to the point of vomit. Drinking in and of itself does not cause everyone to vomit. Also it doesn't enter into your lungs. He has a legitimate complaint about smokers. Let me guess.....you smoke.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JustPlainLucas

@sonicare said:

I often see in gun defense threads that people facetiously suggest banning cars or knives when those are involved in killings. But that's not practical as cars and knives have very needed and useful functions. Their primary function is very beneficial to society.

However, alcohol really doesn't have any benefits. The only known major benefit of alcohol is helping fat chicks get laid. But other than that, it's uses are almost all detrimental.

It kills people, lots and lots of people. 10,000 people a year are killed in drunk driving accidents. Likely over a 100,000 people a year die from healthy related complications of alcohol. It facilitates violence, rape, and waking up next to ugly people.

Where is the outrage over this? Sure, we have some laws to try and mitigate this, but they don't work and are half assed at best. Yes, don't drink and drive - so why do we allow restaraunts that serve more than one drink or bars that serve shots? Quarter drafts, dollar shots? Isn't that creating the ideal situation for drunk driving?

We could eliminate almost all drunk driving deaths by improved restrictions and regulations. Common sense laws. I'd like CNN to do a special on this crisis with a picture of a martini glass with a skull and cross bones on it.

I see people laughing at you for this post, but I actually think you have a sound point. Banning alcohol would definitely cut down on the drunk driving deaths, just as banning guns would cut down on the frequency of mass shootings. Unfortunately, our country is too rooted in its own stubbornness to amend its own constitution, and we have already tried prohibition once before and history has shown it doesn't work; it actually makes things worse. People are adamant not to follow new laws they feel encroach on their freedoms.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Uhhh no. Alcohol is good. Guns are bad.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JustPlainLucas

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@Archangel3371 said:

You're talking about over drinking to the point of vomit. Drinking in and of itself does not cause everyone to vomit. Also it doesn't enter into your lungs. He has a legitimate complaint about smokers. Let me guess.....you smoke.

Smoking in of itself does not cause lung cancer. You'd have to smoke for years for problems to arise. You can kill yourself in one night from excessive intoxication. You'd have to continuously be exposed to smokers in order to develop lung cancer. You only need to be in front of a drunk driver once to be killed by it. Again, public intoxication is illegal. Public smoking, regardless of all the literature about how damaging second hand smoke is, is not. There's a level of hypocrisy here.

By the way, I don't smoke. But you know what they say when you assume...

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

@sonicare: oh and that's gonna help since they can't get the guns or make them themselves just like bootlegging back in the day.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic

@JustPlainLucas said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Smoking in of itself does not cause lung cancer. You'd have to smoke for years for problems to arise. You can kill yourself in one night from excessive intoxication. You'd have to continuously be exposed to smokers in order to develop lung cancer. You only need to be in front of a drunk driver once to be killed by it. Again, public intoxication is illegal. Public smoking, regardless of all the literature about how damaging second hand smoke is, is not. There's a level of hypocrisy here.

You can kill yourself falling down your stairs. Smoking does cause problems. And if a non smoker has asthma or some other condition then yes..........second hand smoke does bother them. You are not getting the sense of his post at all. He doesn't like....and I agree with him....the fact that one gets smoke forced on them. What someone else does with their health does not affect you. There is a difference between the two. Also there isn't public drinking anywhere I've been. So if you are around drinkers that's your choice. People are allowed to smoke outside. If you have to walk past them....you get a lungful. That is a MAJOR difference.

Drunk driving is illegal.....so that is addressed. Public intoxication is illegal.....so that is addressed.

The hypocrisy is yours as you can't see that smoke enters someone's lungs against their desires whereas sitting next to someone drinking does not cause alcohol to enter your body.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JustPlainLucas

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@Archangel3371 said:

You can kill yourself falling down your stairs. Smoking does cause problems. And if a non smoker has asthma or some other condition then yes..........second hand smoke does bother them. You are not getting the sense of his post at all. He doesn't like....and I agree with him....the fact that one gets smoke forced on them. What someone else does with their health does not affect you. There is a difference between the two. Also there isn't public drinking anywhere I've been. So if you are around drinkers that's your choice. People are allowed to smoke outside. If you have to walk past them....you get a lungful. That is a MAJOR difference.

Drunk driving is illegal.....so that is addressed. Public intoxication is illegal.....so that is addressed.

The hypocrisy is yours as you can't see that smoke enters someone's lungs against their desires whereas sitting next to someone drinking does not cause alcohol to enter your body.

Didn't say smoking doesn't cause problems. Didn't say second hand smoke doesn't bother people. Where are you getting that I implied that? And boo hoo, so someone gets smoke forced on them. They can breath the fresh air in the other direction. And I'm sorry, but when someone decides to drink and then drive, and then KILL someone, that DIRECTLY impacts their health, as in, they lose ALL OF IT. I lost someone to drunk driving. I never lost anyone to second hand smoke. The fact that he is somehow bothered enough by second hand smoke to have tobacco banned, but not bothered at all to have alcohol banned when it's the cause of thousand upon thousands of drunk driving accidents every year makes him a fucking hypocrite.

I'm bowing out of this ridiculous debate because I've already crossed the line where my passion affects my rationality.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic

@JustPlainLucas said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Didn't say smoking doesn't cause problems. Didn't say second hand smoke doesn't bother people. Where are you getting that I implied that? And boo hoo, so someone gets smoke forced on them. They can breath the fresh air in the other direction. And I'm sorry, but when someone decides to drink and then drive, and then KILL someone, that DIRECTLY impacts their health, as in, they lose ALL OF IT. I lost someone to drunk driving. I never lost anyone to second hand smoke. The fact that he is somehow bothered enough by second hand smoke to have tobacco banned, but not bothered at all to have alcohol banned when it's the cause of thousand upon thousands of drunk driving accidents every year makes him a fucking hypocrite.

I'm bowing out of this ridiculous debate because I've already crossed the line where my passion affects my rationality.

Then why are you complaining about the dude you mentioned he doesn't like second hand smoking? Doesn't he have that right?

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

Don't you dare! I think everything should be legal. Let people be free. Nanny states are not needed. You can even keep your guns even if I think it's ridiculous personally.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

You don't need to be drunk to be violent, you dare taking or even try to take my brews away and I will shoot you, that's even before I begin to get intoxicated.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

@sonicare: Are you serious? I honestly can't tell. This feels like a serious joke :P

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#28 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts
@JustPlainLucas said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

I don't agree with banning smoking, but I really don't agree that someone "getting smoked forced on them" is not a big deal.

Also, one can drink in moderation or drink without driving whereas smoking cigarettes in public places is inevitably going to get smoke on people.

But I'm sorry about your loss and while I don't favor banning alcohol, I would favor laws making the consequences for drunk driving even harsher than they are right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@horgen said:

@sonicare: Are you serious? I honestly can't tell. This feels like a serious joke :P

OP thought he was being clever with some kind of "checkmate atheists!" gotcha post but directed towards people who are pro-gun control. It's Facebook-meme level stuff.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Like any drug except tabacco should be used in moderation. With that said...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Let them make fun OP. But I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Archangel3371

@JustPlainLucas: Oh yeah drinking can certainly lead to bad and disgusting things, especially when over drinking. I'm all for responsible drinking. For me though I just find it much more difficult to avoid cigarette smoke. I can sit with friends and family, have a beer or two, and it's a very pleasant evening. However when some of them start smoking it's very difficult if not impossible to not be affected by the smoke. It stinks up my clothes, give me a headache, and if I'm around it long enough it's almost as if I smoked a few myself. Even when I'm walking down the street and a car drives by with someone smoking in it I can smell it. It just seems to be something that affects me more then I would like it too.

ryne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ryne
Member since 2016 • 16 Posts

As great as a world without that hellish creativity-diminishing depressant would be, our culture is far too deep with it as a source for "fun" and "escaping the shitty reality that is pursuing the American Dream."

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic

@ryne said:

As great as a world without that hellish creativity-diminishing depressant would be, our culture is far too deep with it as a source for "fun" and "escaping the shitty reality that is pursuing the American Dream."

You know you don't need to use alcohol to escape.

ryne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ryne

@LJS9502_basic:No shit. Gaming is a common escape I'm sure most of us on these boards share.

Alcohol is a specific substance (depressant) that is ingested to achieve a different mental state. You may not need it to escape, but it is definitely one of the most abused substances in terms of escaping reality via substances. Xanax and opiates are the other ones that come to my mind, but this is just from my observations throughout my lifespan.

The main difference between alcohol and other substances is that you can walk to the store and easily purchase enough of it to kill yourself overnight. You can't kill yourself gaming (unless you're playing an MMORPG, hardy har har), which is a pretty big differences in distinguishing alcohol's place.

So with this in mind, where is this battle to be fought? Is it banning or restricting alcohol usage, or are a majority of the people abusing the substance in need of desperate culture shock, possibly even a near-death experience that can help push them in the right direction and reprogram their culture-fueled lust to abuse the substance? It's madness at every corner. You've a better shot at believing in reincarnation, embedding the belief that there's a parallel universe that never conjured up alcohol to begin with, and being reborn into said parallel universe.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@Kruiz_Bathory said:

And yet we still engage in the War on Drugs despite agreeing that Prohibition was a disaster. :-P

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

No. You can ban it but...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#38 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts

Many people would throw their rattle in a hissy fit, but yea, I wouldn't be complaining if it (along with smoking) was banned.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#39 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@ryne said:

Personally, I do some of my best creative writing while moderately intoxicated.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mark1974
@uninspiredcup said:

Many people would throw their rattle in a hissy fit, but yea, I wouldn't be complaining if it (along with smoking) was banned.

Hissy fit maybe but more likely a boom in organized crime and a high death count. This could never happen in this day and age though. Everyone from every type of background would unite and burn this whole country down. Blacks and whites in full agreement, cats and dogs living together, it would be total madness!

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#41 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Probably. But I enjoy my beers. And no, you can't enjoy guns. Stop it.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mark1974

@GreySeal9 said:
@ryne said:

Personally, I do some of my best creative writing while moderately intoxicated.

Yeah no shit, I'm sure there aren't a thousand famous artists who were total drunks. That comment Ryne, was the most head scratching thing I've read in a while.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Do you live in a county that allows people to smoke in establishments? Or are you saying you stand outside and feel overwhelmed?

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 intotheminx

@sonicare said:
@Kruiz_Bathory said:

That's why you have to ban guns and alcohol simultaneously.

Sure. Because everyone in the world would simultaneously give up their firearms. Legal or not.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 intotheminx

@LJS9502_basic said:
@sonicare said:

Quoting because this is a fact.

ryne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ryne

@GreySeal9: I'm a firm believer in the Ballmer Peak, no argument there. But that only applies to specific cases. The majority of people consuming alcohol aren't doing it to "enhance" their creativity, they're doing it to make up for the lack of it, which is probably why they're drinking in the first place. It goes hand-in-hand with going out at night in America, and is practically second nature when while trying to socialize.

With you drinking leads to enhanced creativity, but what about the writer who is on his 3rd week of writer's block with bills riding his back to get this article pushed out? That man is slowly descending to insanity and alcohol is just adding fuel to the fire in his case.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@intotheminx said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@sonicare said:

Quoting because this is a fact.

Actually you guys are wrong. It does not have signficant health benefits. There are benefits to drinking a glass of red wine a day, but that's more because of the antioxidants and tannans from the grapes, not the actual alcohol. It can be used to treat acute poisoning by methanol or antifreeze, but that's a pretty unique use. And yes, rubbing alchohol has uses, but Im talking about the alcohol in mixed drinks.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Archangel3371

@intotheminx: No, thankfully smoking in indoor establishments has been prohibited here. I live in Ontario, Canada by the way. Still though there are plenty of places where I still come in contact with cigarette smoke outdoors whether it be from strangers or friends and family. While in some instances I can reasonably avoid it however there are many times that I cannot. Even in my own apartment I sometimes get cigarette smoke entering my place.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mark1974

@sonicare: It had the useful medical benefit of allowing me to watch the republican convention. I couldn't have done it otherwise and it's important to be up on world events.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@Archangel3371 said:

@intotheminx: No, thankfully smoking in indoor establishments has been prohibited here. I live in Ontario, Canada by the way. Still though there are plenty of places where I still come in contact with cigarette smoke outdoors whether it be from strangers or friends and family. While in some instances I can reasonably avoid it however there are many times that I cannot. Even in my own apartment I sometimes get cigarette smoke entering my place.

That's the absolute worst. I used to live in an apartment complex and my next door neighbors smoked. It would come through the air conditioning vents. So I either had to turn off the air and roast, or be subjected to 24/7 stale cigarette odor.