Should we all strive to become vegetarians/vegans?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 MetalDogGear
Member since 2013 • 825 Posts
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Do you mean you were trying to get at "[e]ating meat because it tastes good isn't really a good reason"? Again that's simply a matter of opinion.

When it comes to the matter of the environment, I don't think "personal preference" should count as a valid reason.

Again, simple opinion. You've already acknowledged that your diet is damaging to the environment as well, you know.

The lesser of two evils is preferred.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#103 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
I hate the fact that when a westerner mutate into vegetarian.... they tend to be showy and forcing people's mind to acknowledge them as a better individual for being a vegan.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Again, simple opinion. You've already acknowledged that your diet is damaging to the environment as well, you know.

The lesser of two evils is preferred.

Your evil (the one in which you consist on a diet that necessitates animals to be killed, yet you criticize others for having a diet which necessitates the same) is no more evil than mine.

There are examples of why meat production is more negative than plant production in this thread -Animal Cruelty -Greater Pollution Etc.,
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 MetalDogGear

Using substitutes for animals is nothing new, like I said.

The very same thing is happening in the film industry right now

Life of Pi used cgi animals

Planet of the apes, same thing

The hobbit did not, and look what happened.

slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

Planet will still be here after you and I are gone. Lets release all those farm chickens into the wild and see how well they do in the meantime.

Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#109 Solid_Snake325
Member since 2006 • 6091 Posts
No way, love meat.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] The lesser of two evils is preferred.

Your evil (the one in which you consist on a diet that necessitates animals to be killed, yet you criticize others for having a diet which necessitates the same) is no more evil than mine.

There are examples of why meat production is more negative than plant production in this thread -Animal Cruelty -Greater Pollution Etc.,

Alright, tommorow, the sale of meat ends, everyone has to only eat non meat products, and non-dairy products. We've got too many cows, and too many chickens being contained within tiny houses, it's cruel, and it's polluting the world. So, where do all the farmers work, the butchers, the dude who works in the meat department?
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

noDroidPhysX

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
**** no
StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

How come hunting never gets brought up in these conversations?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

StrifeDelivery
I have seen hunting brought up often in relation to this topic
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
Showering is bad for the environment . Maybe we should stop that too.............
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#116 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

I gave this a lot of thought.....

how about....

[spoiler] no [/spoiler]

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 StrifeDelivery

[QUOTE="StrifeDelivery"]

dave123321

I have seen hunting brought up often in relation to this topic

Really? Not to say I've seen every one of these topics, but it just seems that it isn't brought up much when it comes to dealing with the "we must stop eating meat because of slaughterhouse conditions".

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Ew. No.

MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#119 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

The second science can make a plant taste like a bloody rare sirloin steak I'll consider it. Until then, no.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#120 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

No.

trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#121 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts

Evolution has given us the ability to cast off the bloody chains of nature and to be better animals. We have the power to be kind to one another and I believe that this should apply to animals as well.

We've come to the point to where practically nobody has to eat meat to survive. Modern medicine and agricultural technologies have advanced to the point where we can all live as vegetarians/vegans and live healthier lives because of it.

And since we have this power, why shouldn't we?

I hear the same old excuses everytime:

"Meat tastes good"

- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. Try a hamburger without the salt and all that other junk.

"Animals eat other animals"

Some animals also eat their young. Should we eat our young as well? Obviously we are capable of being better than other animals.

But that's just my two cents.

MetalDogGear
Yeah, no. A couple of Vegan parents killed their child because of lack of a nutritional diverse diet. Humans have evolved to be omnivores, and we only evolved our large brains because we ate a high protein diet that we got from eating bone marrow. We need a well rounded diet to be healthy, and it is not just about getting the right amount of vitamins. Our digestive system needs it too to function properly. And if we are to evolve even bigger brains we still need a high protein diet. And meat does taste good, even without the seasoning, most people are just don't know what the hell they are doing in the kitchen.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Hahahaha NO. F*ck off.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#123 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
No.
Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

MetalDogGear

I know, goblins and wargs are becoming endangered now.

wigginender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 wigginender
Member since 2003 • 644 Posts

The answer is yes, but the majority of people will never do so. Its actually a shame most people are so against being a vegetarian or vegan for there are so many advantages, most being health-related. I am sure most of the ones here saying "frak-off" are younger, healthy dudes, so they don't see any benefit in giving up their burgers or bacon, but when you get older and start facing some serious diseases like cancer or diabetes or just general unhealthiness, then a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle starts making more sense and can actually work for you. Granted, its not easy, and not as enjoyable but if you make the transition slowly and start by eating less and less processed foods you will start to find eating healthy is much more enjoyable. Here are some real facts about why being a vegetarian or vegan is better for health reasons:

http://nutritionfacts.org/blog/

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#126 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]

Hatiko

I know, goblins and wargs are becoming endangered now.

Orcs even more so.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

The answer is yes, but the majority of people will never do so. Its actually a shame most people are so against being a vegetarian or vegan for there are so many advantages, most being health-related. I am sure most of the ones here saying "frak-off" are younger, healthy dudes, so they don't see any benefit in giving up their burgers or bacon, but when you get older and start facing some serious diseases like cancer or diabetes or just general unhealthiness, then a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle starts making more sense and can actually work for you. Granted, its not easy, and not as enjoyable but if you make the transition slowly and start by eating less and less processed foods you will start to find eating healthy is much more enjoyable. Here are some real facts about why being a vegetarian or vegan is better for health reasons:

wigginender

Meat isn't only burgers and bacon. Herp derp.

Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

No. Unless you want to you dont have to.

sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#129 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

No.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

[QUOTE="wigginender"]

N30F3N1X

Meat isn't only burgers and bacon. Herp derp.

Its an interesting read. I love the term/phase "do to this naturally". Now what is arguably more natural? The eating of meat which can be sourced locally, or sourcing of strange fruits and nuts from other countries? That to me doesn't come naturally. I see the arguement of eating more plants, which in my diet, I don't eat the much meat. Usually meat only ends up on my plate at dinner time. However I don't subscribe to the notion that eating all these fruits, nuts and plants is as great as it sounds. I have not looked into this in much depth, however things like your bodies own ability to process all of this, can it be actually done healthy? People who eat alot of fruit for example fail to realise that they are basically shovelling sugar into their stomachs. Things such as Iron or protien are more available in meats, which also come with the added factors of other nutrients. I know mushrooms have high protien levels and some nuts, but again I am not sure if eating that purely is balanced. Also finally with the line of "the more meat, the more out wasteline grows" surely thats a natural reaction for any animal that eats meat, it needs to store the fats for fuel etc. I just cant help to go along with the lifestyle of everything in moderation and do some excerise. There seems to be a war against doing any sort of excerise and that dieting is the way to go.
Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts
"Meat tastes good"

- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. Try a hamburger without the salt and all that other junk.MetalDogGear

meanwhile, most vegetables are disgusting no matter what you do to them. I'll stick with meat, thanks

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Of course we should.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#133 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Not convinced that it's healthy.
How long did it take us to find out that smoking is not healthy?
How long will it take us to know whether the rapid spread of cellphones/wireless signals are OK? It may sound crazy but they still haven't done research about that aside from the effects of change of temperature.
I would have to balance out all the things that we think we need and hope that it's not too little or too much. That is a lot of work and it tastes rilly bad.

Avatar image for WhatWouldJoshDo
WhatWouldJoshDo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 WhatWouldJoshDo
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
If its made by the earth its good for you, if its made by man chances are its not. I trust a cow alot more than I trust a chemist. I'm some what religeous and the bible says the Good Lord put resources on this earth for man to take advantage of. So why wouldn't we eat what was created for us to eat? Why wouldn't we eat what WE are created to eat?
Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#135 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

No.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

I don't know if we should all become vegetarian, but I do think that we need to eat far less meat and stop treating animals like garbage in all of those nearly unregulated slaughterhouses and factory farms.ghoklebutter

I agree with this statement. At least make slaughter conditions humane.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts
Yes. You should all strive to be like me, because I'm better than you. :3
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#139 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

"Meat tastes good"

- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. Try a hamburger without the salt and all that other junk.

MetalDogGear
Try eating anything without seasoning it. Meat sans salt/pepper tastes far better than a lot of things, especially roasted over a fire. Tofu without salt? Oh man, so delicious! Plain beans? Mmm.
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

Try eating anything without seasoning it. Meat sans salt/pepper tastes far better than a lot of things, especially roasted over a fire. Tofu without salt? Oh man, so delicious! Plain beans? Mmm.DJ_Lae

gamah_killah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 gamah_killah
Member since 2006 • 13020 Posts
Yes. You should all strive to be like me, because I'm better than you. :3Baconbits2004
How can you strive with that kind of username?
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#142 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

It's not just the seasoning that makes meat taste good.

gamah_killah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 gamah_killah
Member since 2006 • 13020 Posts

It's not just the seasoning that makes meat taste good.

sonicare
Texture right? I like eating raw salmon. Such a delicacy.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
How come hunting never gets brought up in these conversations?StrifeDelivery
Hunters *tend* to kill smaller amounts of animals, and never (usually) exceed the lawful amount mandated for that season. Ironically, in either case, I rarely, if ever, have seen the criticism from vegans that either a slaughterhouse or hunter fails to use everything they kill. In both cases, everything is used, and in the case of slaughterhouses, they tend to have the equipment to utilize everything in a productive way, including the bones.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
"Meat tastes good" - Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. Try a hamburger without the salt and all that other junk.MetalDogGear
You don't even have a basic understanding of cuisine. Salt is a device that brings out flavor from things and accentuates it on the human palate. Without proper seasoning, food tastes extremely bland, and in the proper amount, is actually required by the body to continue living. Certain types of meat (such as fish like tuna or salmon) does not "need" salt, especially when served raw. But most other meats do, and all vegetables do as well (especially when cooked).
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

I think it's a very progressive idea that's ahead of our time.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#147 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

And since we have this power, why shouldn't we?

"Meat tastes good"

"Animals eat other animals"

Some animals also eat their young. Should we eat our young as well? Obviously we are capable of being better than other animals.

But that's just my two cents.

MetalDogGear

Because like many animals, we think other animals are good to eat.

Wrong. Meat tasted good. I've done exactly what you've said, and I throughly enjoyed it. I very rarely season meat because I like the raste so much.

That's terrible comparison. In cases of extreme stravation, yes, some animals may resort to cannibalism. But its not a regular oart of their diet.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 StrifeDelivery

[QUOTE="StrifeDelivery"]How come hunting never gets brought up in these conversations?Zeviander
Hunters *tend* to kill smaller amounts of animals, and never (usually) exceed the lawful amount mandated for that season. Ironically, in either case, I rarely, if ever, have seen the criticism from vegans that either a slaughterhouse or hunter fails to use everything they kill. In both cases, everything is used, and in the case of slaughterhouses, they tend to have the equipment to utilize everything in a productive way, including the bones.

My point was that one of the points brought up so far was that we should stop eating meat becauseof the inhumane slaughter house conditions. This is why I brought up the point of hunting, since that is definitely more humane than slaughter house conditions.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#149 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Oh please... of course not.

I'm not a "bad" animal just because I eat other animals, and I wont become a "better" one by not eating them.

What's the reasoning? Animal rights? I'm not for them. The only reason I sometimes might express eco-friendly sentiments is because -allergies aside- I enjoy nature and all it encompasses and wish to not damage it. That's as far as I would go, and yes, obviously my motives are anthropocentric: I, as a human being, enjoy nature and thus want to preserve it. Now as far as animal cruelty goes (in any form) I'm not for it either but that doesnt mean my stance derives from a general stance on animal rights. Its just my gut feeling. Having an aversion towards specific ways of treating animals doesnt mean animals have rights or that I grant them such rights. Two totally different things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Idunno I usualy eat meat twice a week (fish twice a week, and 3 days veggies only) Mostly to train my cooking skills, and because too heavy food makes me kind of sick.

Tell you what, I feel completely fine with how I eat, and here is the funny part: What I eat is locally grown, and born. Yeah I see the cute lil piggy before it gets very dead.

So no, I have no plans of going vegeterian, As I am very unsure if the world can support vegetarians, the untold fields of grain used to produce bread alone, let alone the rest fills a lot of space, despite animals are more expensive, and pollute more.

But the space issue aperrently never exists when Vegetarians and vegans bring up thier points, I really have nothing against them, but we are not exactly talking local veggie gardens here people. And I still havent seen evidence that the space would be suficcient.

So cutting down on meat, all for it, better envioment for animals, always (but you vote for that with the wallet, main problem here is that most people have no idea how animals are treated and how the meat is processed. Would help if they did.

So would alot of vegetarians ofcourse, to see how many pesticides are used for veggeis, and how much it damages fresh water supplies.

So basicly most of the problems belong to how the things are made as a whole.