Should we all strive to become vegetarians/vegans?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -

The idea of changing habits because we have the power to, is nothing new.

Especially when it comes to animals.

The film industry is relying less on live animals and more on CGI as the technology has come to the point to where we can substitute.

#52 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2167 posts) -

I'm kinda thinking yes, BUT it should be a person's choice.

I'm thinking about going completely vegetarian.

#53 Posted by lonewolf604 (8546 posts) -
OP, I'd rather eat meat with no seasoning that vegetables without dressing/sauce. Don't get me wrong though, I do eat rather balanced compared to other people.
#54 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
No. You can though. More beef and bacon for me.
#55 Posted by kingkong0124 (8329 posts) -

No.

#56 Posted by TheWestCoastDon (387 posts) -

yes, but the transition should be made easier by vegetarian alternatives to normal diets that people can live with, who knows maybe they'll have some processed vegetable products that'll taste just like bacon and steak and chicken and all that and once that's done then maybe people will make the transition effortlessly, until then though no tofu hotdogs are craplamprey263

crispy_tenders_295x35052.jpg

I've been eating these ever since I became a vegan, they taste great so yes good substitutes exist.

As far as this topic goes, yes they should, especially seeing how easy it is (with the exception of eating out). But I've given up on trying to convince people to try a vegan or at least a vegetarian diet. It's their choice.

#57 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -

[QUOTE="lamprey263"]yes, but the transition should be made easier by vegetarian alternatives to normal diets that people can live with, who knows maybe they'll have some processed vegetable products that'll taste just like bacon and steak and chicken and all that and once that's done then maybe people will make the transition effortlessly, until then though no tofu hotdogs are crapTheWestCoastDon

I've been eating these ever since I became a vegan, they taste great so yes good substitutes exist.

As far as this topic goes, yes they should, especially seeing how easy it is (with the exception of eating out). But I've given up on trying to convince people to try a vegan or at least a vegetarian diet. It's their choice.

That looks great. Speaking of such products, I used to really like the stuff made by Quorn (I hate that name, though).
#58 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

418741_279686165473160_1075562623_n.jpg.

#59 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheWestCoastDon"]I've been eating these ever since I became a vegan, they taste great so yes good substitutes exist. As far as this topic goes, yes they should, especially seeing how easy it is (with the exception of eating out). But I've given up on trying to convince people to try a vegan or at least a vegetarian diet. It's their choice.

I have yet to taste a vegan/vegetarian "substitute" that tastes or shares even a remotely similar texture to meat (made really delicious fava bean "hamburgers" once, but they were mushy). My GF and I have a vegetarian friend whom we have had over for supper every once in a while, and the things we buy or make, admittedly, taste quite good, and some things have become semi-regular meals for the GF and I... but to call them "substitutes" for meat, and to try and make "lookalikes"? It's a joke. And lets not even start the conversation on how these "alternatives" cost anywhere from 3 to 5 times that of a meat version. Especially things like those "chicken" fingers/steps and vegan "hamburger". I eat meat because I enjoy the experience of the endorphine rush my sense of taste gives me when I eat it. Nothing is better than a thick and juicy AAA-quality New York strip or sirloin steak, that is cooked rare, seasoned to perfection (salt and pepper, fried in butter) and served with a generous helping of single malt scotch. There is nothing in this world that could make me give that experience up, and no "substitute" made from processed vegetable protein will ever match it. We'll have injections or VR simulations that stimulate a certain part of the brain that recreates it before vegetable protein can do it. Edit: Freudian slip, lol.
#60 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

Nah, meat is an important part of my diet and life.

#61 Posted by yokofox33 (30360 posts) -

No.

I like meat. Beef, chicken, bacon, pork. It's all good. Don't get me wrong though, I really like veggies as well.

#62 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23877 posts) -
yes meat will become irrelevent printed meat, etc much more sanitary
#63 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -

[QUOTE="lamprey263"]yes, but the transition should be made easier by vegetarian alternatives to normal diets that people can live with, who knows maybe they'll have some processed vegetable products that'll taste just like bacon and steak and chicken and all that and once that's done then maybe people will make the transition effortlessly, until then though no tofu hotdogs are crapTheWestCoastDon

Those look absolutely divine

#64 Posted by chaoscougar1 (37044 posts) -

Evolution has given us the ability to cast off the bloody chains of nature and to be better animals. We have the power to be kind to one another and I believe that this should apply to animals as well.

We've come to the point to where practically nobody has to eat meat to survive. Modern medicine and agricultural technologies have advanced to the point where we can all live as vegetarians/vegans and live healthier lives because of it.

And since we have this power, why shouldn't we?

I hear the same old excuses everytime:

"Meat tastes good"

- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. Try a hamburger without the salt and all that other junk.

"Animals eat other animals"

Some animals also eat their young. Should we eat our young as well? Obviously we are capable of being better than other animals.

But that's just my two cents.

MetalDogGear

Only part I agreed with
The value seems accurate as well

#65 Posted by Toph_Girl250 (48590 posts) -
No, maybe its a good thing that we're eating off some of the cow population to reduce some of that methane gas being released into the air? (Yet even though cows are a popular meat meal, it still doesn't appear to be doing much good.) Besides, there's at least some meat that can still taste fairly well, even without seasonings, like meatballs imo.
#66 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]

Only part I agreed with

chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]

Evolution has given us the ability to cast off the bloody chains of nature and to be better animals. We have the power to be kind to one another and I believe that this should apply to animals as well.

We've come to the point to where practically nobody has to eat meat to survive. Modern medicine and agricultural technologies have advanced to the point where we can all live as vegetarians/vegans and live healthier lives because of it.

"Meat tastes good"

- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. Try a hamburger without the salt and all that other junk.

Some animals also eat their young. Should we eat our young as well? Obviously we are capable of being better than other animals.

chaoscougar1

Only part I agreed with

Damn, you got me.

*puts hands up*

#67 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]

Only part I agreed with

chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]

"Meat tastes good"

chaoscougar1

Only part I agreed with

But in all seriousness. i only take arguments with discussion attached seriously.
#68 Posted by thegerg (16106 posts) -
"Meat tastes good"

- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. MetalDogGear

That's simply a matter of opinion. Don't pretend that you can present it as fact.

#69 Posted by thebest31406 (3586 posts) -
Yes. The animals need a break. They're not created solely for our consumption.
#70 Posted by TINYOWNSYOU (565 posts) -

Does fish count?

#71 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]"Meat tastes good"

- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. thegerg

That's simply a matter of opinion. Don't pretend that you can present it as fact.

Bull. If Mcdonalds cooked just plain old patties without any seasoning, condiments, etc., on them, their sales would tank fast
#72 Posted by thegerg (16106 posts) -

Alright, the stupid website wouldn't load for like an hour.

Obviously there are evils with every action. I don't deny the animals that lose their homes and get killed in the soy bean fields.

I don't deny the pollution that plant production produces.

These are all true.

However

We should minimalize our impact on nature. And veganism/vegetarianism is far less destructive than meat production.

MetalDogGear
If you really want to minimalize it then you won't eat food that is produced through the agricultural process, you'll rely entirely on scavenging. I suggest you try to achieve your own goals ("minimalize our impact on nature") before trying to get others to do the same. Let us know how it goes and how we can do it.
#73 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -

Does fish count?

TINYOWNSYOU
My 8th grade teacher once told us the definitions of veganism and vegetarianism If it has legs, vegetarians don't eat it. If it has a face, vegans don't eat it.
#74 Posted by thegerg (16106 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]"Meat tastes good"

Bull. If Mcdonalds cooked just plain old patties without any seasoning, condiments, etc., on them, their sales would tank fast

If you continue to try to present your opinion as fact you will only look even more foolish. Get a nice clean piece of tuna, or a fresh deer liver, or a delicious and fatty cut of fresh beef or goat. I find those things delicious without seasoning, but I don't try to present my opinion as fact.
#75 Posted by Toph_Girl250 (48590 posts) -
McDonald's sales likely have a good chance at tanking some if they only presented plain old buns to eat or just lettuce and tomato as well, the meat makes a nice juicy tasty addition to the sandwich, your point? I see nothing wrong with eating meat, I'm fine with how I live my life.
#76 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="thegerg"] That's simply a matter of opinion. Don't pretend that you can present it as fact.

If you continue to try to present your opinion as fact you will only look even more foolish. Get a nice clean piece of tuna, or a fresh deer liver, or a delicious and fatty cut of fresh beef or goat. I find those things delicious without seasoning, but I don't try to present my opinion as fact.

Well I was referring to the individual who finds meat good, but is actually fond of the seasoning. And not someone who finds meat overall tasty.
#77 Posted by chaoscougar1 (37044 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]"Meat tastes good"

Unlike all vegetables Which taste delicious on their own
#78 Posted by thegerg (16106 posts) -
McDonald's sales likely have a good chance at tanking some if they only presented plain old buns to eat or just lettuce and tomato as well, the meat makes a nice juicy tasty addition to the sandwich, your point? I see nothing wrong with eating meat, I'm fine with how I live my life.Toph_Girl250
"your point?" His point is that he doesn't think meat tastes good and you can't either, and that your diet is bad because his diet kills fewer animals than your's.
#79 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="thegerg"] That's simply a matter of opinion. Don't pretend that you can present it as fact.

I'm not here to make the claim that vegetables taste better naked than meat. I'm here to dissect the reasons for eating meat. The overall point is that it is unhealthy for the environment as a whole, to eat meat.
#80 Posted by Toph_Girl250 (48590 posts) -
Unlike all vegetables Which taste delicious on their ownchaoscougar1
I for one hate vegetables, I think they taste even worse plain than a plain burger.
#81 Posted by chaoscougar1 (37044 posts) -
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] Bull. If Mcdonalds cooked just plain old patties without any seasoning, condiments, etc., on them, their sales would tank fast

I'm not here to make the claim that vegetables taste better naked than meat. I'm here to dissect the reasons for eating meat. The overall point is that it is unhealthy for the environment as a whole, to eat meat.

One of your points is that meat needs things added to taste half decent And that's a negative But the same can be said about vegetables So what's your point?
#82 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]Unlike all vegetables Which taste delicious on their ownToph_Girl250
I for one hate vegetables, I think they taste even worse plain than a plain burger.

The point is not about which one tastes better. The point is about which one has less of an impact to eat.
#83 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] Unlike all vegetables Which taste delicious on their own

One of your points is that meat needs things added to taste half decent And that's a negative But the same can be said about vegetables So what's your point?

I pointed out a common argument used to defend meat eating. I pointed out that it is usually the seasoning that makes the meat taste good. I didn't actually say "Don't eat meat because it tastes terrible" but rather "Eating meat because it tastes good isn't really a good reason"
#84 Posted by thegerg (16106 posts) -
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] Bull. If Mcdonalds cooked just plain old patties without any seasoning, condiments, etc., on them, their sales would tank fast

Well I was referring to the individual who finds meat good, but is actually fond of the seasoning. And not someone who finds meat overall tasty.

Then maybe you need to hire an English tutor, your post (""Meat tastes good",- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. Try a hamburger without the salt and all that other junk.") does not convey your point at all. Anyway, if your intended message was "people that don't like the taste of meat are people that don't like the taste of meat" then what the hell is your point?
#85 Posted by KiIIyou (27156 posts) -
Too much fat for me by eating all those nuts. All I need is 1 chicken a day anyway.
#86 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

Non

#87 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="thegerg"] If you continue to try to present your opinion as fact you will only look even more foolish. Get a nice clean piece of tuna, or a fresh deer liver, or a delicious and fatty cut of fresh beef or goat. I find those things delicious without seasoning, but I don't try to present my opinion as fact.

Then maybe you need to hire an English tutor, your post (""Meat tastes good",- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. Try a hamburger without the salt and all that other junk.") does not convey your point at all. Anyway, if your intended message was "people that don't like the taste of meat are people that don't like the taste of meat" then what the hell is your point?

I'll admit that it was worded incorrectly. What I was trying to get at I posted in an above post a couple seconds ago.
#88 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -

It's like this.

Smoking cigarettes is more unhealthy than not smoking cigarettes.

If you ask a smoker what his reason was, and he said "Because they feel good" then that wouldn't be a good reason at all to continue smoking.

if that makes sense.

#89 Posted by TINYOWNSYOU (565 posts) -

[QUOTE="TINYOWNSYOU"]

Does fish count?

MetalDogGear

My 8th grade teacher once told us the definitions of veganism and vegetarianism If it has legs, vegetarians don't eat it. If it has a face, vegans don't eat it.

Hey, I like that. I'll have to use that definition...

I would say it's up to the individual. Some laws need to be changed regarding the quality of life for the animals though...

#90 Posted by Toph_Girl250 (48590 posts) -
The overall point is that it is unhealthy for the environment as a whole, to eat meat. MetalDogGear
How? Its not unhealthy eating meat cooked, I've eaten plenty of burgers from McDonald's and Burger King in the past, never got sick. Besides, some people can even eat meat medium-rare. And its not like meat is the only food that can be poisoned, there was a Salmonella outbreak I remember back in May 2008 that was from Tomatoes.
#91 Posted by Mafiree (3704 posts) -
Stop feeding the troll........
#92 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]The overall point is that it is unhealthy for the environment as a whole, to eat meat. Toph_Girl250
How? Its not unhealthy eating meat cooked, I've eaten plenty of burgers from McDonald's and Burger King in the past, never got sick. Besides, some people can even eat meat medium-rare. And its not like meat is the only food that can be poisoned, there was a Salmonella outbreak I remember back in May 2008 that was from Tomatoes.

I meant environment wise. Health effects are debatable. Everything with moderation I suppose...
#93 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2167 posts) -

[QUOTE="TINYOWNSYOU"]

Does fish count?

MetalDogGear

Vegetarians don't eat animals. A vegetarian that eats fish isn't a vegetarian. S/he's a pescetarian.

And vegans don't eat any animal products or byproducts. (Milk doesn't have a face, does it?)

#94 Posted by thegerg (16106 posts) -
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] Well I was referring to the individual who finds meat good, but is actually fond of the seasoning. And not someone who finds meat overall tasty.

I'll admit that it was worded incorrectly. What I was trying to get at I posted in an above post a couple seconds ago.

Do you mean you were trying to get at "[e]ating meat because it tastes good isn't really a good reason"? Again that's simply a matter of opinion.
#95 Posted by chaoscougar1 (37044 posts) -

It's like this.

Smoking cigarettes is more unhealthy than not smoking cigarettes.

If you ask a smoker what his reason was, and he said "Because they feel good" then that wouldn't be a good reason at all to continue smoking.

if that makes sense.

MetalDogGear
Smoking and eating meat Good comparison
#96 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="TINYOWNSYOU"]

Does fish count?

IdioticIcarus

Vegetarians don't eat animals. A vegetarian that eats fish isn't a vegetarian. S/he's a pescetarian.

And vegans don't eat any animal products or byproducts. (Milk doesn't have a face, does it?)

It's not a perfect definition but it is a cute one.
#97 Posted by Iceozo (6441 posts) -

You can take my life, but you can never take my chicken!

#98 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2167 posts) -

My reasoning doesn't have anything to do with the environment or health. I just don't like the idea of animals being bred and living in horrible conditions simply to be killed. I do think we should strive to move away from this (though that doesn't necessarily mean becoming a vegetarian).

#99 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Then maybe you need to hire an English tutor, your post (""Meat tastes good",- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. Try a hamburger without the salt and all that other junk.") does not convey your point at all. Anyway, if your intended message was "people that don't like the taste of meat are people that don't like the taste of meat" then what the hell is your point?

Do you mean you were trying to get at "[e]ating meat because it tastes good isn't really a good reason"? Again that's simply a matter of opinion.

When it comes to the matter of the environment, I don't think "personal preference" should count as a valid reason.
#100 Posted by michael_1234576 (8621 posts) -
I like meat too much to ever go veg