Should we all strive to become vegetarians/vegans?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 MetalDogGear
Member since 2013 • 825 Posts

The idea of changing habits because we have the power to, is nothing new.

Especially when it comes to animals.

The film industry is relying less on live animals and more on CGI as the technology has come to the point to where we can substitute.

IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts

I'm kinda thinking yes, BUT it should be a person's choice.

I'm thinking about going completely vegetarian.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
OP, I'd rather eat meat with no seasoning that vegetables without dressing/sauce. Don't get me wrong though, I do eat rather balanced compared to other people.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
No. You can though. More beef and bacon for me.
kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

No.

Avatar image for TheWestCoastDon
TheWestCoastDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#56 TheWestCoastDon
Member since 2006 • 387 Posts

yes, but the transition should be made easier by vegetarian alternatives to normal diets that people can live with, who knows maybe they'll have some processed vegetable products that'll taste just like bacon and steak and chicken and all that and once that's done then maybe people will make the transition effortlessly, until then though no tofu hotdogs are craplamprey263

crispy_tenders_295x35052.jpg

I've been eating these ever since I became a vegan, they taste great so yes good substitutes exist.

As far as this topic goes, yes they should, especially seeing how easy it is (with the exception of eating out). But I've given up on trying to convince people to try a vegan or at least a vegetarian diet. It's their choice.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

[QUOTE="lamprey263"]yes, but the transition should be made easier by vegetarian alternatives to normal diets that people can live with, who knows maybe they'll have some processed vegetable products that'll taste just like bacon and steak and chicken and all that and once that's done then maybe people will make the transition effortlessly, until then though no tofu hotdogs are crapTheWestCoastDon

I've been eating these ever since I became a vegan, they taste great so yes good substitutes exist.

As far as this topic goes, yes they should, especially seeing how easy it is (with the exception of eating out). But I've given up on trying to convince people to try a vegan or at least a vegetarian diet. It's their choice.

That looks great. Speaking of such products, I used to really like the stuff made by Quorn (I hate that name, though).
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

418741_279686165473160_1075562623_n.jpg.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
[QUOTE="TheWestCoastDon"]I've been eating these ever since I became a vegan, they taste great so yes good substitutes exist. As far as this topic goes, yes they should, especially seeing how easy it is (with the exception of eating out). But I've given up on trying to convince people to try a vegan or at least a vegetarian diet. It's their choice.

I have yet to taste a vegan/vegetarian "substitute" that tastes or shares even a remotely similar texture to meat (made really delicious fava bean "hamburgers" once, but they were mushy). My GF and I have a vegetarian friend whom we have had over for supper every once in a while, and the things we buy or make, admittedly, taste quite good, and some things have become semi-regular meals for the GF and I... but to call them "substitutes" for meat, and to try and make "lookalikes"? It's a joke. And lets not even start the conversation on how these "alternatives" cost anywhere from 3 to 5 times that of a meat version. Especially things like those "chicken" fingers/steps and vegan "hamburger". I eat meat because I enjoy the experience of the endorphine rush my sense of taste gives me when I eat it. Nothing is better than a thick and juicy AAA-quality New York strip or sirloin steak, that is cooked rare, seasoned to perfection (salt and pepper, fried in butter) and served with a generous helping of single malt scotch. There is nothing in this world that could make me give that experience up, and no "substitute" made from processed vegetable protein will ever match it. We'll have injections or VR simulations that stimulate a certain part of the brain that recreates it before vegetable protein can do it. Edit: Freudian slip, lol.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#60 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Nah, meat is an important part of my diet and life.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#61 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

No.

I like meat. Beef, chicken, bacon, pork. It's all good. Don't get me wrong though, I really like veggies as well.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
yes meat will become irrelevent printed meat, etc much more sanitary
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 MetalDogGear

[QUOTE="lamprey263"]yes, but the transition should be made easier by vegetarian alternatives to normal diets that people can live with, who knows maybe they'll have some processed vegetable products that'll taste just like bacon and steak and chicken and all that and once that's done then maybe people will make the transition effortlessly, until then though no tofu hotdogs are crapTheWestCoastDon

Those look absolutely divine

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#64 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

Evolution has given us the ability to cast off the bloody chains of nature and to be better animals. We have the power to be kind to one another and I believe that this should apply to animals as well.

We've come to the point to where practically nobody has to eat meat to survive. Modern medicine and agricultural technologies have advanced to the point where we can all live as vegetarians/vegans and live healthier lives because of it.

And since we have this power, why shouldn't we?

I hear the same old excuses everytime:

"Meat tastes good"

- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. Try a hamburger without the salt and all that other junk.

"Animals eat other animals"

Some animals also eat their young. Should we eat our young as well? Obviously we are capable of being better than other animals.

But that's just my two cents.

MetalDogGear

Only part I agreed with
The value seems accurate as well

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts
No, maybe its a good thing that we're eating off some of the cow population to reduce some of that methane gas being released into the air? (Yet even though cows are a popular meat meal, it still doesn't appear to be doing much good.) Besides, there's at least some meat that can still taste fairly well, even without seasonings, like meatballs imo.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 MetalDogGear

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]

Only part I agreed with

chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]

Evolution has given us the ability to cast off the bloody chains of nature and to be better animals. We have the power to be kind to one another and I believe that this should apply to animals as well.

We've come to the point to where practically nobody has to eat meat to survive. Modern medicine and agricultural technologies have advanced to the point where we can all live as vegetarians/vegans and live healthier lives because of it.

"Meat tastes good"

- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. Try a hamburger without the salt and all that other junk.

Some animals also eat their young. Should we eat our young as well? Obviously we are capable of being better than other animals.

chaoscougar1

Only part I agreed with

Damn, you got me.

*puts hands up*

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 MetalDogGear

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]

Only part I agreed with

chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]

"Meat tastes good"

chaoscougar1

Only part I agreed with

But in all seriousness. i only take arguments with discussion attached seriously.
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
Yes. The animals need a break. They're not created solely for our consumption.
TINYOWNSYOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70 TINYOWNSYOU
Member since 2009 • 565 Posts

Does fish count?

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]"Meat tastes good"

- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. thegerg

That's simply a matter of opinion. Don't pretend that you can present it as fact.

Bull. If Mcdonalds cooked just plain old patties without any seasoning, condiments, etc., on them, their sales would tank fast
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 MetalDogGear

Does fish count?

TINYOWNSYOU
My 8th grade teacher once told us the definitions of veganism and vegetarianism If it has legs, vegetarians don't eat it. If it has a face, vegans don't eat it.
Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Toph_Girl250
McDonald's sales likely have a good chance at tanking some if they only presented plain old buns to eat or just lettuce and tomato as well, the meat makes a nice juicy tasty addition to the sandwich, your point? I see nothing wrong with eating meat, I'm fine with how I live my life.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="thegerg"] That's simply a matter of opinion. Don't pretend that you can present it as fact.

Bull. If Mcdonalds cooked just plain old patties without any seasoning, condiments, etc., on them, their sales would tank fast

If you continue to try to present your opinion as fact you will only look even more foolish. Get a nice clean piece of tuna, or a fresh deer liver, or a delicious and fatty cut of fresh beef or goat. I find those things delicious without seasoning, but I don't try to present my opinion as fact.

Well I was referring to the individual who finds meat good, but is actually fond of the seasoning. And not someone who finds meat overall tasty.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 chaoscougar1
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]"Meat tastes good"

- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. MetalDogGear

That's simply a matter of opinion. Don't pretend that you can present it as fact.

Unlike all vegetables Which taste delicious on their own
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="thegerg"] That's simply a matter of opinion. Don't pretend that you can present it as fact.

I'm not here to make the claim that vegetables taste better naked than meat. I'm here to dissect the reasons for eating meat. The overall point is that it is unhealthy for the environment as a whole, to eat meat.
Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Toph_Girl250
Unlike all vegetables Which taste delicious on their ownchaoscougar1
I for one hate vegetables, I think they taste even worse plain than a plain burger.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 chaoscougar1
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] Bull. If Mcdonalds cooked just plain old patties without any seasoning, condiments, etc., on them, their sales would tank fast

I'm not here to make the claim that vegetables taste better naked than meat. I'm here to dissect the reasons for eating meat. The overall point is that it is unhealthy for the environment as a whole, to eat meat.

One of your points is that meat needs things added to taste half decent And that's a negative But the same can be said about vegetables So what's your point?
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]Unlike all vegetables Which taste delicious on their ownToph_Girl250
I for one hate vegetables, I think they taste even worse plain than a plain burger.

The point is not about which one tastes better. The point is about which one has less of an impact to eat.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] Unlike all vegetables Which taste delicious on their own

One of your points is that meat needs things added to taste half decent And that's a negative But the same can be said about vegetables So what's your point?

I pointed out a common argument used to defend meat eating. I pointed out that it is usually the seasoning that makes the meat taste good. I didn't actually say "Don't eat meat because it tastes terrible" but rather "Eating meat because it tastes good isn't really a good reason"
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
Too much fat for me by eating all those nuts. All I need is 1 chicken a day anyway.
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

Non

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="thegerg"] If you continue to try to present your opinion as fact you will only look even more foolish. Get a nice clean piece of tuna, or a fresh deer liver, or a delicious and fatty cut of fresh beef or goat. I find those things delicious without seasoning, but I don't try to present my opinion as fact.

Well I was referring to the individual who finds meat good, but is actually fond of the seasoning. And not someone who finds meat overall tasty.

Then maybe you need to hire an English tutor, your post (""Meat tastes good",- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. Try a hamburger without the salt and all that other junk.") does not convey your point at all. Anyway, if your intended message was "people that don't like the taste of meat are people that don't like the taste of meat" then what the hell is your point?

I'll admit that it was worded incorrectly. What I was trying to get at I posted in an above post a couple seconds ago.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 MetalDogGear

It's like this.

Smoking cigarettes is more unhealthy than not smoking cigarettes.

If you ask a smoker what his reason was, and he said "Because they feel good" then that wouldn't be a good reason at all to continue smoking.

if that makes sense.

TINYOWNSYOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#89 TINYOWNSYOU
Member since 2009 • 565 Posts

[QUOTE="TINYOWNSYOU"]

Does fish count?

MetalDogGear

My 8th grade teacher once told us the definitions of veganism and vegetarianism If it has legs, vegetarians don't eat it. If it has a face, vegans don't eat it.

Hey, I like that. I'll have to use that definition...

I would say it's up to the individual. Some laws need to be changed regarding the quality of life for the animals though...

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Toph_Girl250
The overall point is that it is unhealthy for the environment as a whole, to eat meat. MetalDogGear
How? Its not unhealthy eating meat cooked, I've eaten plenty of burgers from McDonald's and Burger King in the past, never got sick. Besides, some people can even eat meat medium-rare. And its not like meat is the only food that can be poisoned, there was a Salmonella outbreak I remember back in May 2008 that was from Tomatoes.
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
Stop feeding the troll........
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]The overall point is that it is unhealthy for the environment as a whole, to eat meat. Toph_Girl250
How? Its not unhealthy eating meat cooked, I've eaten plenty of burgers from McDonald's and Burger King in the past, never got sick. Besides, some people can even eat meat medium-rare. And its not like meat is the only food that can be poisoned, there was a Salmonella outbreak I remember back in May 2008 that was from Tomatoes.

I meant environment wise. Health effects are debatable. Everything with moderation I suppose...
IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 IdioticIcarus

[QUOTE="TINYOWNSYOU"]

Does fish count?

MetalDogGear

Vegetarians don't eat animals. A vegetarian that eats fish isn't a vegetarian. S/he's a pescetarian.

And vegans don't eat any animal products or byproducts. (Milk doesn't have a face, does it?)

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 chaoscougar1

It's like this.

Smoking cigarettes is more unhealthy than not smoking cigarettes.

If you ask a smoker what his reason was, and he said "Because they feel good" then that wouldn't be a good reason at all to continue smoking.

if that makes sense.

MetalDogGear
Smoking and eating meat Good comparison
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 MetalDogGear

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="TINYOWNSYOU"]

Does fish count?

IdioticIcarus

Vegetarians don't eat animals. A vegetarian that eats fish isn't a vegetarian. S/he's a pescetarian.

And vegans don't eat any animal products or byproducts. (Milk doesn't have a face, does it?)

It's not a perfect definition but it is a cute one.
Iceozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Iceozo
Member since 2009 • 6441 Posts

You can take my life, but you can never take my chicken!

IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 IdioticIcarus

My reasoning doesn't have anything to do with the environment or health. I just don't like the idea of animals being bred and living in horrible conditions simply to be killed. I do think we should strive to move away from this (though that doesn't necessarily mean becoming a vegetarian).

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Then maybe you need to hire an English tutor, your post (""Meat tastes good",- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. Try a hamburger without the salt and all that other junk.") does not convey your point at all. Anyway, if your intended message was "people that don't like the taste of meat are people that don't like the taste of meat" then what the hell is your point?

I'll admit that it was worded incorrectly. What I was trying to get at I posted in an above post a couple seconds ago.

Do you mean you were trying to get at "[e]ating meat because it tastes good isn't really a good reason"? Again that's simply a matter of opinion.

When it comes to the matter of the environment, I don't think "personal preference" should count as a valid reason.
Avatar image for michael_1234576
michael_1234576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 michael_1234576
Member since 2004 • 8621 Posts
I like meat too much to ever go veg