Should we all strive to become vegetarians/vegans?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#201 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

No. Sorry, chicken wings and cheese burgers are just too good. I don't believe in being cruel to our live stock, but I have no moral qualms about eating animals.

theone86

Not to pick on you personally, because a lot of people have said this and you're just the most recent, but I think this is the absolute worst justification for eating meat. To take a page out of Kant, even though I don't like to, the maxim behind your argument is essentialy "I am doing this because it makes me feel good." Now if we apply that maxim universally we obviously end up in a pretty screwed up place, but I really don't believe in the necessity of a maxim to be applied universally. Still, are there any mitigating factors which would justify this maxim being applied here where it wouldn't be, say, in the case of theft? I honestly don't see any.

You really dont?

I dont know if the justification would please everyone but I'm pretty sure there are differences between eating animals and stealing from someone.

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
Eh, I'm not a vegetarian in the slightest, but I eat very little red meat. I do however, consume quite a lot of chicken and tuna as part of my weight training.
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#203 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

Hey, it's Mr. Complicated. Im with Mr chicken wings. I do not give a sh*t. I have many more practical problems then deciding whether Chicken fingers are immoral. Go home.

Shmiity

Well if it isn't Mr. Hedonist, with his simple world views, neglecting the entire topic at hand.

Go order some take out. >:

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 Baconbits2004

You really dont?

I dont know if the justification would please everyone but I'm pretty sure there are differences between eating animals and stealing from someone.

Teenaged

If I understand his post correctly, he's saying that the desires come from the same place & both are comparable to each other if you look at them on a baser level.

"Oh, this meat tastes good! I don't care about the consequenses... I love the taste."

"Oh, the money we stole from the childrens hospital on Christmas Eve will make me so happy. I don't care about the consequences, I love money."

Both don't put any thought into their actions other than, I 'want it, it will make me feel good.'

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]You really dont?

Baconbits2004

If I understand his post correctly, he's saying that the desires come from the same place & both are comparable to each other if you look at them on a baser level.

"Oh, this meat tastes good! I don't care about the consequenses... I love the taste."

"Oh, the money we stole from the childrens hospital on Christmas Eve will make me so happy. I don't care about the consequences, I love money."

Both don't put any thought into their actions other than, I 'want it, it will make me feel good.'

But not really the same, hunger is instinctual, monetary greed is a social construct.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Baconbits2004

So consequences don't have a weight in the "feel good" part? The argument is full of holes.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 Baconbits2004

social construct.

tenaka2

What do you consider McDonalds?e5051254.gif

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Baconbits2004

So consequences don't have a weight in the "feel good" part? The argument is full of holes.

N30F3N1X

Given the attitude of some of the people in this thread, it sure sounds like they aren't taking them into consideration.

What holes are you talking about?

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

social construct.

Baconbits2004

What do you consider McDonalds?e5051254.gif

That old guy that once had a farm? Apparently he was eaten by his own pigs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
Dumbest thread of the week goes to you sir. Season or not, meat tastes good, I suppose you want me to have season on salad and get the same effect? :lol: We are carnivores/omnivores ..... why is our "prey" suppose to be met with mercy? do you realize how reliant we are on animal farming to sustain our population? Dumbest analogy to end with ever. I want a source on your "We've come to the point to where practically nobody has to eat meat to survive. Modern medicine and agricultural technologies have advanced to the point where we can all live as vegetarians/vegans and live healthier lives because of it." claim and the concept that this is possible for everyone. "modern medicine" .,... substitute food with medice yea because that sounds healthy
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Why do you think animal life is more important than vegetable life?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

The answer is yes, but the majority of people will never do so. Its actually a shame most people are so against being a vegetarian or vegan for there are so many advantages, most being health-related. I am sure most of the ones here saying "frak-off" are younger, healthy dudes, so they don't see any benefit in giving up their burgers or bacon, but when you get older and start facing some serious diseases like cancer or diabetes or just general unhealthiness, then a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle starts making more sense and can actually work for you. Granted, its not easy, and not as enjoyable but if you make the transition slowly and start by eating less and less processed foods you will start to find eating healthy is much more enjoyable. Here are some real facts about why being a vegetarian or vegan is better for health reasons:

http://nutritionfacts.org/blog/

wigginender

As someone who is approaching middle age, is already on cholesterol medications, and has a father and two uncles who have all had bypass operations, I'll say that I will not give up meat anytime soon. I'm not particularly concerned with living as long as possible, for all I know I could die today, so I'm going to enjoy life while I have it. Meat brings me much enjoyment.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

If its made by the earth its good for you, if its made by man chances are its not. I trust a cow alot more than I trust a chemist. I'm some what religeous and the bible says the Good Lord put resources on this earth for man to take advantage of. So why wouldn't we eat what was created for us to eat? Why wouldn't we eat what WE are created to eat?WhatWouldJoshDo

Indeed. That's why uranium makes such a good seasoning for your food.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

[QUOTE="N30F3N1X"]

Baconbits2004

Given the attitude of some of the people in this thread, it sure sounds like they aren't taking them into consideration.

What holes are you talking about?

What do you mean what holes I'm talking about? Making that whole point based on the hypotesis that people have no consideration for consequences is an incredibly dumb idea and makes the point crumble on itself (no surprise considering who it's coming from, and I'm not talking about you). It's obvious that people are concerned with consequences otherwise we'd all go out and steal whatever we want. Terminating animal life however doesn't have consequences that are relevant for anyone who has his head screwed on his shoulders in the right sense because animals aren't intelligent.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#215 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]You really dont?

Baconbits2004

Yes I understand that. But that still doesnt make the two overall comparable.

The two refer to completely different consequenses. Privided the first is about just eating meat, and not, say, eat so much meat that you eradicate a whole spieces. In the end if someone doesnt value the life of animals nearly as much as the life and well-being of a human then the two definitely arent comparable.