Should I quit my bestbuy job cuz of black friday?

• 142 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chriscoolguy
Member since 2011 • 729 Posts

I am pretty sure I have another job lined up, it's about a 90% chance I get it. Working bestbuy. part time. They want me to come in on thanksgiving at 4:30, work till like 1:30 am, go home for 7 hours, come back and work another like 9 hours on black friday. I think I am just going to quit. I do feel kind of bad for doing it right before black friday, but on the other hand I am so disgusted they are making us work thanksgiving AND GIVING NO BONUS or double time it makes me not feel bad for quitting. What do you guys think?

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

If you don't need the money, than sure, why not? But you should give them 2-4 weeks notice if you're quitting, so that they can hire someone to replace you. You always want to leave a job on a good note, so that they can be a good reference for a future job. Never burn any bridges.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chriscoolguy

If I tell them I'm not working Black Friday they will fire me on the spot. I'm just a seasonal worker. I usually just make the dates connect on my resume anyways. Most places don't check them. I think I am going to quit. For some reason I just felt kind of bad for doing it. See when I got hired they told me I may have to come in at like midnight on thanksgiving, then two weeks ago they told me it would be at 4:30 pm.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

best buy is terrible in terms of employment opportunities. since you're seasonal, you boss probably wouldn't give you a reference. I've never walked out of a job, so i'm not gonna tell you to do it, but you also don't need me to tell you that you aren't leaving much behind.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Don't confuse pretty sure with guaranteed. It would suck if you quit Best Buy because you think you have another job lined up only to end up being wrong and unemployed during the holiday season. It's only one day, I'm sure you can suck it up and drink an energy drink to keep yourself going.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

You should quit right when the doors open and run and get the cheap stuff before the mob gets it.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Wait you're a seasonal worker at Bestbuy and you're mad they want you to come in on the holidays?

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

@TwistedShade said:

Wait you're a seasonal worker at Bestbuy and you're mad they want you to come in on the holidays?

This. I'm puzzled at your reaction to this. Just work the shift.

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#10 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Just deal with it or give them a 2 week notice before quitting.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By chriscoolguy

@TwistedShade said:

Not exactly. When I got hired the hiring manager said I Would probably be coming in at midnight black friday. Then two weeks ago it was changed to Thanksgiving day. Up until then no one thought they would be coming in at 4:30 on Thanksgiving day. Either they were doing the ole bait and switch to get people to take the position or he just didn't know. This was like October 1st. So far it's been a gravy job, got some discounts. I think at this point though the job will turn into a nightmare. Even after BF it will be a really crappy job. Just thinking now is probably a good time to bolt. Just something about making their employees work Thanksgiving day is sick.

Evdne971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Evdne971
Member since 2012 • 341 Posts

If they give you crap pay for the long hours your about to work, then Best Buy gets what they paid for, a non loyal employee that's not getting payed what he deserves.

If Best Buy doesn't give you what's fair, then Best Buy should expect and suck it up if an employee doesn't want to work hours like those. If you don't mind working there then go into "grind mode" which is working like a slave for a short time, strictly for the money

I'm a teenager working at a daycare, they pay crappy for the work I do, in return I show up late, I don't wear the uniform.

I give them what they pay for.

And don't feel bad if you quit, this is a corporation that makes millions, they'll have no problem replacing you.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@TwistedShade said:

Personally I'm of the opinion that making people work on Thanksgiving is bs.

Honestly tc I would call in sick that day and just see what happens rather than making it 100% certain that you can't put this job on your resume. Or you could simply put up with it and go in to work so you can make certain that you can keep it on your resume.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Serraph105

@chriscoolguy said:

I am pretty sure I have another job lined up, it's about a 90% chance I get it. Working bestbuy. part time. They want me to come in on thanksgiving at 4:30, work till like 1:30 am, go home for 7 hours, come back and work another like 9 hours on black friday. I think I am just going to quit. I do feel kind of bad for doing it right before black friday, but on the other hand I am so disgusted they are making us work thanksgiving AND GIVING NO BONUS or double time it makes me not feel bad for quitting. What do you guys think?

I've come to the expectation that I will never get a new job. It's gotten to the point where I'm not even excited when I walk in for an interview.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

You mean a retail business expects you to work when they are super busy and have lots of customers coming in? And they want to pay you for it too? How shocking and awful!

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

I used to work at Best Buy and yes that shift does suck, but I got paid Holiday pay for working it. At least for the hours on Thanksgiving. So Im not sure why you aren't. But look at it this way.....you're getting paid minimum wage or just a little above it....those jobs are a dime a dozen and you could easily find another one.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

@huggybear1020 said:

You mean a retail business expects you to work when they are super busy and have lots of customers coming in? And they want to pay you for it too? How shocking and awful!

I can infer two things from this post:

1. You have never actually worked in a retail job.

2. You're an asshole.

Anyway, to TC: I'm in the exact same boat you are, except replace "Best Buy" with Target. My advice: Don't walk out. In addition to looking like a dick to them, they'll never hire you ever again if you don't give two weeks' notice. Like someone else here said: don't burn bridges.

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

Right now you are a slave and are being exploited. Walk out of there and don't even tell anyone.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HuggyBear1020

@Makhaidos said:

@huggybear1020 said:

2. You're an asshole.

Anyway, to TC: I'm in the exact same boat you are, except replace "Best Buy" with Target. My advice: Don't walk out. In addition to looking like a dick to them, they'll never hire you ever again if you don't give two weeks' notice. Like someone else here said: don't burn bridges.

1. Actually, I worked at H-E-B (big retail chain in Texas), Taco Bell, and McDonald's, but thanks for making bone-headed assumptions. But that was back in my younger years when I was still going to school.

2. Is flaming now okay on gamespot? People used to get suspended/banned for that kind of crap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I have worked retail black Fridays for four years. Don't quit because your new employment could call your old manager and find out you are a quiter

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Serraph105

@thegerg said:

@Serraph105: They can't make anyone work on Thanksgiving.

you are correct that they cannot literally make you come in and work for them, but they might as well be doing so when they threaten to take away your source of income if you do not do so.

Next time you make an argument try not pretending to be ignorant about what is at stake for those who simply don't show up to work on principle.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Serraph105

@huggybear1020 said:

@Makhaidos said:

@huggybear1020 said:

2. You're an asshole.

1. Actually, I worked at H-E-B (big retail chain in Texas), Taco Bell, and McDonald's, but thanks for making bone-headed assumptions. But that was back in my younger years when I was still going to school.

2. Is flaming now okay on gamespot? People used to get suspended/banned for that kind of crap.

you mean back a few years ago when it was tradition to let your employees have Thanksgiving day off like a normal holiday? I'm going with Makhaidos second assumption of you in that case.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

I don't know, TC. You should have just said 'No.' when they told you you'd have to come in at 4:30 PM on Thanksgiving day, if that was your issue - boat's sailed by now. If you have nothing legally binding you to stay there until a specific date, ditching it is entirely up to:

a) your relationship with your superiors and co-workers. Don't expect them to see you in good light if you just ditch them with a day's notice.

b) you having work in retail as your final goal. Your experience at BestBuy probably won't matter much to your future employers if you're doing office work or something unrelated to retail, but if you intend to continue with that type of job you might want to consider the consequences.

c) How safe you are on never having to work there again.

I've always left my jobs with a month or more of notice, or whatever compromise I reached with the employer -- I've also never heard of them calling previous employers for reference. Up to you.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Serraph105

@thegerg said:

@Serraph105: I fully understand what is at stake. Still, no one is being forced to do anything.

how old are you? In adult world when you can't afford to lose your source of income you are largely forced to do things that you'd rather not due to responsibilities beyond your job. You can be a dick though and pretend such things don't exist.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@thegerg said:

@Serraph105: I'm 27,

Good lord

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts

Work the damn shifts. Make your damn money.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

I'll be working Thanksgiving too, and Christmas, but I at least get holiday pay. I tend to celebrate the holidays on the following weekend anyhow, but yeah, no holiday pay on Thanksgiving? **** that. Tell them you got plans, they can't force you to work on a national holiday. But I doubt you'll be able to wiggle out of doing black friday. At least you'll get a good nights sleep. That's my 2 cents.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HuggyBear1020

@Serraph105 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@Makhaidos said:

@huggybear1020 said:

2. You're an asshole.

you mean back a few years ago when it was tradition to let your employees have Thanksgiving day off like a normal holiday? I'm going with Makhaidos second assumption of you in that case.

Funny you should mention that. I actually had to work a shift at McDonald's on Thanksgiving day, but thanks for calling me an asshole as well.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@Makhaidos said:

@huggybear1020 said:

2. You're an asshole.

Why is he an asshole? for pointing out the obvious? You can't just get the busiest day off because you don't want to work. That's not how the real world works. I work at a pizza place, and every employee has to work Halloween and during the Super Bowl, those being the 2 busiest days of the year. Nobody bitches about it, because that is to be expected.

Only kids think the world revolves around them and they can only work when they want. I've got a suggestion, grow up. If you don't like working there, quit instead of bitching about it.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 chriscoolguy

Got a job offer today. Quitting with no notice. Don't need the reference. I think what they are doing is disgusting and I hope more people do the same. This is total BS. Telling us at the last minute we have to work Thanksgiving, no holiday pay for Thanksgiving or Black Friday. If I got holiday pay I wouldn't have even looked for something else.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 chriscoolguy

I wonder how pissed they would get if I quit as soon as they opened the doors on thanksgiving day, then stayed and shopped. I wonder if they could kick me out?

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@chriscoolguy said:

Got a job offer today. Quitting with no notice. Don't need the reference. I think what they are doing is disgusting and I hope more people do the same. This is total BS. Telling us at the last minute we have to work Thanksgiving, no holiday pay for Thanksgiving or Black Friday. If I got holiday pay I wouldn't have even looked for something else.

Are you shitting me? Holiday pay? It's an entry level job! No entry level job gets holiday pay. If that is "disgusting" to you, well, you're in for a rude awakening.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

Come on man. You have to sacrifice once in a while. I have missed birthdays, family get togethers, worked holidays, worked on my birthdays, got no over time pay. Sometimes I even got treated better because the boss saw my hard work...I would just stay. If this continues I would quit.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

My seasonal job required an 11 hour rest between shifts, so the people telling you to suck it up must think that getting shafted up the backside is ok.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

@TwistedShade said:

Personally I'm of the opinion that making people work on Thanksgiving is bs.

Honestly tc I would call in sick that day and just see what happens rather than making it 100% certain that you can't put this job on your resume. Or you could simply put up with it and go in to work so you can make certain that you can keep it on your resume.

What's gonna happen if he calls in that day (in addition to him possibly getting fired) is that it won't affect the company in a significant way at all. But it will affect the employees who have to cover his absence (either people getting called in on their day off, or people having to work twice as f***ing hard).

I've known people who did that kind of $hit. They'd be like, "this company sucks, I'm calling in sick today." Well, that's not f***ing over the company, that's f***ing over ME, aka the people exactly like the person who's calling in sick. Hey, I don't like the job either, but I have enough sympathy for the people in the same position as me to not make their job harder by ditching on them and then having them pick up my slack.

Then these same people who called in sick and ended up f***ing me over (and let's be clear...this is in cases where I knew for a fact that "calling in sick" meant "just not wanting to work that day") ask me to do a favor and pick up their shifts or give them a shift at some later date. And I'm like, "uh...hell no." Screw me over, and I'm not gonna be all that eager to do you a favor.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

I'm not recommend quitting just b/c of the Black Friday.. but it can't be as bad as my other job, working 7 hours strait, no breaks, no lunch, ever. get yelled at constantly. so, I quit.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By chriscoolguy

@lonewolf604 said:

Come on man. You have to sacrifice once in a while. I have missed birthdays, family get togethers, worked holidays, worked on my birthdays, got no over time pay. Sometimes I even got treated better because the boss saw my hard work...I would just stay. If this continues I would quit.

Really? I have to sacrifice? The $hit pay I get, they treat me like $hit, I say f'em. You know when I took the job I didn't know it meant getting treated like crap. After almost every sale that walks my manager comes up and asks me why they didn't buy, and tells me some pushy $hit to say to the next customer. For the pay I get it's just not worth it. If they are jerks what do I care if I quit on them. Should be a lesson, treat your employees better and maybe they wouldn't quit on you. You are obviously brainwashed. Check out workers rights and minimum wages in places like Australia or Japan.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 chriscoolguy
@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@chriscoolguy said:

Are you shitting me? Holiday pay? It's an entry level job! No entry level job gets holiday pay. If that is "disgusting" to you, well, you're in for a rude awakening.

OHH, Entry level job = you are a slave? F'that. Yes many entry level jobs get holiday pay. Try like every entry level call center job. Only in Amurica do the workers have no rights compared to places in Europe, Japan, Australia and Canada. If you enjoy getting bent over by corporate amurica have at it bro. Not me. If they treat me that bad, just more reason to quit. I'm not sure what part of I got a better job offer you didn't get.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HuggyBear1020

@SolidSnake35 said:

My seasonal job required an 11 hour rest between shifts, so the people telling you to suck it up must think that getting shafted up the backside is ok.

11 hours? Oh you poor baby. That's every week for me Monday through Friday. Grow up.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

yes

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts

If future employees find out the reason you left then they might be less enthusiastic about taking you on. Be a man and just do the hours. If you're close to getting another job then its not going to be for much longer.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 chriscoolguy
@thegerg said:

@XenoLair: Comparing working on Thanksgiving to slavery. Ignorant and disgusting.

You can go work Thanksgiving somewhere, I'm not.