Should I quit my bestbuy job cuz of black friday?

• 142 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#52 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

if it were me, i'd probably just take the shift. if, for whatever reason, i didn't want the shift, i would have given notice when the shift was announced or a couple days later.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 chriscoolguy
Member since 2011 • 729 Posts

@LoG-Sacrament said:

if it were me, i'd probably just take the shift. if, for whatever reason, i didn't want the shift, i would have given notice when the shift was announced or a couple days later.

Yeah but I wanted to keep working to collect another paycheck until this other job came through.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

@chriscoolguy said:

@LoG-Sacrament said:

Yeah but I wanted to keep working to collect another paycheck until this other job came through.

if you had given notice, you'd still be getting paid for a little bit while they found another seasonal. i suppose how long that lasts depends on how much they like you though.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 chriscoolguy

@LoG-Sacrament said:

@chriscoolguy said:

@LoG-Sacrament said:

if you had given notice, you'd still be getting paid for a little bit while they found another seasonal. i suppose how long that lasts depends on how much they like you though.

No man. It's a seasonal job. If I would have given notice they would have let me go that day. For sure.

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

@thegerg said:

@XenoLair: Comparing working on Thanksgiving to slavery. Ignorant and disgusting.

This is new age slavery. Open your eyes. Working all day for minimum wage, having to spend it all on a place to live and food.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#58  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I think that's a stupid reason to quit (and I think Thanksgiving and holidays in general are overrated), but whatever floats your boat.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#59  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@thegerg said:

@XenoLair: No, it's not. To trivialize the horrors of slavery by comparing it to the inconveniences of seasonal retail employment is gross.

Agreed.

"New age slavery." Get the **** out of here with that bullshit, XenoLair.

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

@thegerg: Maybe you live in lala land or something but where I'm from, people work all day just to get by. They work hard. They don't sit in front of the computer all day. They aren't free to buy whatever they like, live how they want, have as many children as they'd like. I call that slavery, not freedom. I wasn't trying to compare it to the form we all know was present some 200 years ago. A rough form of what I'm talking about is wage slavery.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

You are going to have to excuse me for not having sympathy for you about working on a national holiday. I worked several Thanksgivings, several Christmas holidays, several New Years, and more. Even when I worked at McDonald's I worked on Christmas Eve. You have to ask yourself, if everybody had your no working on holiday attitude who would man hospitals or police stations on holidays? Or better yet, who would work at the mall when you have Black Friday off and want to shop?

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@chriscoolguy said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@chriscoolguy said:

Got a job offer today. Quitting with no notice. Don't need the reference. I think what they are doing is disgusting and I hope more people do the same. This is total BS. Telling us at the last minute we have to work Thanksgiving, no holiday pay for Thanksgiving or Black Friday. If I got holiday pay I wouldn't have even looked for something else.

Are you shitting me? Holiday pay? It's an entry level job! No entry level job gets holiday pay. If that is "disgusting" to you, well, you're in for a rude awakening.

OHH, Entry level job = you are a slave? F'that. Yes many entry level jobs get holiday pay. Try like every entry level call center job. Only in Amurica do the workers have no rights compared to places in Europe, Japan, Australia and Canada. If you enjoy getting bent over by corporate amurica have at it bro. Not me. If they treat me that bad, just more reason to quit. I'm not sure what part of I got a better job offer you didn't get.

How the **** is working on a holiday slavery? I don't really care that you got a better job offer. Not only is it wrong to quit without notice, you're bitching like a little kid about having to work on a holiday (maybe you are still a kid?). The world doesn't revolve around you. You will eventually have to work during holidays for normal pay, get used to it. Or you could just continue to live in your fantasy land where you get whatever you want. Keep dreaming man, keep dreaming.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Whatever works for you I guess but man you are in for a harsh reality if you ever work an "essential" job... Wish I got Holiday's off

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@Serraph105 said:

@TwistedShade said:

Wait you're a seasonal worker at Bestbuy and you're mad they want you to come in on the holidays?

Personally I'm of the opinion that making people work on Thanksgiving is bs.

Honestly tc I would call in sick that day and just see what happens rather than making it 100% certain that you can't put this job on your resume. Or you could simply put up with it and go in to work so you can make certain that you can keep it on your resume.

What's gonna happen if he calls in that day (in addition to him possibly getting fired) is that it won't affect the company in a significant way at all. But it will affect the employees who have to cover his absence (either people getting called in on their day off, or people having to work twice as f***ing hard).

I've known people who did that kind of $hit. They'd be like, "this company sucks, I'm calling in sick today." Well, that's not f***ing over the company, that's f***ing over ME, aka the people exactly like the person who's calling in sick. Hey, I don't like the job either, but I have enough sympathy for the people in the same position as me to not make their job harder by ditching on them and then having them pick up my slack.

Then these same people who called in sick and ended up f***ing me over (and let's be clear...this is in cases where I knew for a fact that "calling in sick" meant "just not wanting to work that day") ask me to do a favor and pick up their shifts or give them a shift at some later date. And I'm like, "uh...hell no." Screw me over, and I'm not gonna be all that eager to do you a favor.

....Geezer is right, when I worked fast food it screwed the rest of us over when someone called in sick. I get that you have already made your decision tc, but I am changing my argument. I still think companies are screwing over their workers by having them come in on a Federal holiday without holiday pay, but yeah the company isn't going to be hurt by you not coming in, only your fellow workers will be hurt.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68  Edited By VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

@deeliman said:

If you don't need the money, than sure, why not? But you should give them 2-4 weeks notice if you're quitting, so that they can hire someone to replace you. You always want to leave a job on a good note, so that they can be a good reference for a future job. Never burn any bridges.

employers dont give you notice when they cut your hours or fire you for whatever reason. AND especially now days, MOST employers will let you go the second you tell them you are leaving..SO honestly I would have no problem just walking in and quitting.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 VanDammFan

we should have holidays off..and the day after with pay. im a family guy and have been since birth. I will NEVER miss a holiday with my family because of work. Even if i had to quit. We work 5-6-7 days a week. We deserve family time. AND im one of those people that have the thinking of "why are we born?"..."to work?".."to live?"..who says we have to work a normal days work? If I was single and didnt have kids,I would totally buy a small RV..live off grid..and work odd jobs just to get by..And spend my free time and days off "that I choose" LIVING..Its only modern day that looks down on people that live life instead of work it..

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By VanDammFan

we should have holidays off..and the day after with pay. im a family guy and have been since birth. I will NEVER miss a holiday with my family because of work. Even if i had to quit. We work 5-6-7 days a week. We deserve family time. AND im one of those people that have the thinking of "why are we born?"..."to work?".."to live?"..who says we have to work a normal days work? If I was single and didnt have kids,I would totally buy a small RV..live off grid..and work odd jobs just to get by..And spend my free time and days off "that I choose" LIVING..Its only modern day that looks down on people that live life instead of work it..

@thegerg said:

@VanDammFan: Why should everyone get paid for not working?

better question is "why not?"..we make these people BILLIONS of $$$ all year long. Normally over worked,under paid and made to feel unimportant and replaceable at the drop of a hat. The very least they can do is give us paid holidays..is there something wrong with that??

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 VanDammFan

@thegerg said:

@VanDammFan said:

@thegerg said:

better question is "why not?"..we make these people BILLIONS of $$$ all year long. Normally over worked,under paid and made to feel unimportant and replaceable at the drop of a hat. The very least they can do is give us paid holidays..is there something wrong with that??

Who is "they"? How many people are you going to be paying to not work this holiday season?

@thegerg said:

@thegerg said:

@VanDammFan said:

@thegerg said:

Who is "they"? How many people are you going to be paying to not work this holiday season?

umm..i think you are kidding. yep..gonna assume you are kidding..like I said before..we should be off with pay no question. have a good day.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By VanDammFan

@thegerg said:

@VanDammFan said:

@thegerg said:

@VanDammFan said:

@thegerg said:

@thegerg said:

@thegerg said:

@VanDammFan said:

@thegerg said:

umm..i think you are kidding. yep..gonna assume you are kidding..like I said before..we should be off with pay no question. have a good day.

I'm not kidding. Please try to answer the simple questions.

im going to assume you are kidding again. I think with just a lil re-reading and a lil reasoning you can start figuring things out.Please dont patronize me and act like im wrong for my views on things. I'll have a great holiday season being paid to be off..I can only hope everyone else will..PEACEOUT

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

If it makes u feel better I have off Wednesday Thursday Friday with holiday pay thurs and Friday. Now get to work I plan on doing shopping !

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

The more valuable (and less replaceable) you are to your company, the better benefits they give you, which include subsidized health insurance, paid time off, etc. The idea being that they want to retain your services because it would be expensive and time-consuming to replace you.

With that said, entry level workers are neither valuable nor hard to replace. It won't hurt them in the least if you decide to quit because you can easily be replaced.

As I've said before, instead of whining about how it's not fair how your company treats you, take the steps necessary to become someone a company would want to treat well. Nobody is going to give you s*** just because you b**** and complain about it.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

@huggybear1020 said:

The more valuable (and less replaceable) you are to your company, the better benefits they give you, which include subsidized health insurance, paid time off, etc. The idea being that they want to retain your services because it would be expensive and time-consuming to replace you.

With that said, entry level workers are neither valuable nor hard to replace. It won't hurt them in the least if you decide to quit because you can easily be replaced.

As I've said before, instead of whining about how it's not fair how your company treats you, take the steps necessary to become someone a company would want to treat well. Nobody is going to give you s*** just because you b**** and complain about it.

I take it you've never worked or owned a store, restaurant or other place that needs to provide odd-hour services, including during holidays. It's not easy to make a last-minute replacement to work on a holiday.

@TC: I stand by what I said, and add: most companies will chew you to the bone and then spit you out. Their loyalty to you is strictly, as huggybear1020 said, based on them thinking you generate more money for them than another person would, or that replacing you would be too expensive and not worth it. Unless retail is your career choice, don't care too much about what the BestBuy you work at will think of you for quitting them on a short notice. They sure as hell won't fire you with any sort of notice (because apparently the US's legal backing for workers is atrocious).

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 HuggyBear1020

@iHarlequin said:

@huggybear1020 said:

I take it you've never worked or owned a store, restaurant or other place that needs to provide odd-hour services, including during holidays. It's not easy to make a last-minute replacement to work on a holiday.

@TC: I stand by what I said, and add: most companies will chew you to the bone and then spit you out. Their loyalty to you is strictly, as huggybear1020 said, based on them thinking you generate more money for them than another person would, or that replacing you would be too expensive and not worth it. Unless retail is your career choice, don't care too much about what the BestBuy you work at will think of you for quitting them on a short notice. They sure as hell won't fire you with any sort of notice (because apparently the US's legal backing for workers is atrocious).

Oh no I totally get what you're saying, I wasn't referring last minute replacements, just replacements in general. I worked in restaurants and in retail back in my teen years...when someone didn't show up, they weren't sticking it to the man, they were just putting a bigger work burden on the rest of us who had to pick up their slack.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 HuggyBear1020

@iHarlequin said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Oh no I totally get what you're saying, I wasn't referring last minute replacements, just replacements in general. I'm referring more to how it hurts a business in the long-term. I worked in restaurants and in retail back in my teen years...when someone didn't show up, they weren't sticking it to the man, they were just putting a bigger work burden on the rest of us who had to pick up their slack.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

What's worse: Best Buy being open on Thanksgiving or the people who go shopping at Best Buy on Thanksgiving?

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 chriscoolguy

@ad1x2 said:

You are going to have to excuse me for not having sympathy for you about working on a national holiday. I worked several Thanksgivings, several Christmas holidays, several New Years, and more. Even when I worked at McDonald's I worked on Christmas Eve. You have to ask yourself, if everybody had your no working on holiday attitude who would man hospitals or police stations on holidays? Or better yet, who would work at the mall when you have Black Friday off and want to shop?

Iv'e worked plenty of Xmas eve's. Not the same as working Thanksgiving or Christmas DAY. If you work at a hospital or a police station you have a career. This was a temp job to get me a little money until I found a real job, which I have. The whole time I was there my manager, and half the employees treated me like shit.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 chriscoolguy
@Serraph105 said:

@MrGeezer said:

@Serraph105 said:

@TwistedShade said:

Wait you're a seasonal worker at Bestbuy and you're mad they want you to come in on the holidays?

Personally I'm of the opinion that making people work on Thanksgiving is bs.

Honestly tc I would call in sick that day and just see what happens rather than making it 100% certain that you can't put this job on your resume. Or you could simply put up with it and go in to work so you can make certain that you can keep it on your resume.

What's gonna happen if he calls in that day (in addition to him possibly getting fired) is that it won't affect the company in a significant way at all. But it will affect the employees who have to cover his absence (either people getting called in on their day off, or people having to work twice as f***ing hard).

I've known people who did that kind of $hit. They'd be like, "this company sucks, I'm calling in sick today." Well, that's not f***ing over the company, that's f***ing over ME, aka the people exactly like the person who's calling in sick. Hey, I don't like the job either, but I have enough sympathy for the people in the same position as me to not make their job harder by ditching on them and then having them pick up my slack.

Then these same people who called in sick and ended up f***ing me over (and let's be clear...this is in cases where I knew for a fact that "calling in sick" meant "just not wanting to work that day") ask me to do a favor and pick up their shifts or give them a shift at some later date. And I'm like, "uh...hell no." Screw me over, and I'm not gonna be all that eager to do you a favor.

....Geezer is right, when I worked fast food it screwed the rest of us over when someone called in sick. I get that you have already made your decision tc, but I am changing my argument. I still think companies are screwing over their workers by having them come in on a Federal holiday without holiday pay, but yeah the company isn't going to be hurt by you not coming in, only your fellow workers will be hurt.

I agree with you. But the guy they have me paired to work with in my dept is a complete prick. He got smart with me every time I asked for help when I was new. One more reason to quit.

@ad1x2 said:

Iv'e worked plenty of Xmas eve's. Not the same as working Thanksgiving or Christmas DAY. If you work at a hospital or a police station you have a career. This was a temp job to get me a little money until I found a real job, which I have. The whole time I was there my manager, and half the employees treated me like shit.

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts

Rule number 1: Never leave your current job until you are 100% sure that you have another job. Also, I'm working black friday at Macy's at 5 a.m. to 3 something and you don't see me complaining.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#86 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

No extra bonuses?

yeah **** that shit lol. God knows that Black Friday and Boxing week (for us in Canada) are some the SHITTIESTdays to be alive if you work in a retail store

I'd rather not do it. Must be horrible for you, if you work at a Best Buy. Everyone must turn into savages.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#87 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

In my province in Canada you by law can not be scheduled for two shifts less than 8 hours apart. But since the US has barbaric laws on such things you are likely stuck with it. Only quit if you will be fine for a while (monthish) if you don't get the other job.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

It's a crappy minimum wage job at a failing brick and mortar electronics store that probably won't even be in business in a year or two. Just quit. Black Friday is a trainwreck that's not worth getting involved in, and certainly not for minimum wage.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@bigfootpart2 said:

It's a crappy minimum wage job at a failing brick and mortar electronics store that probably won't even be in business in a year or two. Just quit. Black Friday is a trainwreck that's not worth getting involved in, and certainly not for minimum wage. And making you work on Thanksgiving is a bunch of douchebag nonsense.

If he's gonna take that attitude, then he'd better not shop on black friday and he'd better not do ANYTHING on Thanksgiving that requires someone to be at work instead of at home.

"It's not worth working on Black Friday" stems from working black friday being unpleasant due to the number of shoppers on that day. Which means that if you're gonna quit a job because "no one should be working that day", then you'd f***ing better not be going out shopping on that day. That'd make you the worst kind of hypocrite. You complain about something being fundamentally wrong in order to get out of doing it yourself. Then as soon as YOU don't do it, you turn around and support OTHER people doing it. Well, "it's just plain wrong" and "I support it as long as it's not me that has to do the work" don't fit together very well.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#90  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Forcing people to work on Thanksgiving is so disgusting. I thankfully work in a state where it's not allowed. Honestly, if you do have a job lined up, take it. 90% isnt 100, though. It would suck to quit and then have no work.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

Well, if you have to go in on Thanksgiving, you avoid all of those calories you would have eaten while celebrating. You are now healthy.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

You could at least pretend to be ill and unable to work. I guess it'll seem suspicious but I doubt they can fire you for being ill. I doubt they could prove that you weren't.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#93 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Think it through, and do what you think is right.

If you don't need the money, and you've only been there for a short time, then just quit and enjoy the holiday with your family. Just don't put BB down on your resume. There is no reason to stay loyal to a company like Best Buy, they won't be loyal to you. Plus you're seasonal, so you're getting the boot after the holidays anyway.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 chriscoolguy

@thegerg said:
@kraken2109 said:

You could at least pretend to be ill and unable to work. I guess it'll seem suspicious but I doubt they can fire you for being ill. I doubt they could prove that you weren't.

I't not unlikely that a seasonal worker who is unable or unwilling to do seasonal work won't be scheduled to do seasonal work in the future.

1. I am starting a new and better job on 3 weeks. So all this talk about not having a good reference from Best Buy means zero. 2. Even if I didn't have a job lined up I would be fine. My spouse has her MBA and a real job where they don't treat her like a sub-human like these retailers who are forcing people to work Thanksgiving. I have kids. Spending time with them on Thanksgiving is more important. Again man, I asked directly during my interview what the schedule would be like on Thanksgiving and he told me probably starting at midnight. If I knew it was even a possibility I wouldn't have taken it.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By chriscoolguy
@thegerg said:

@chriscoolguy said:

@thegerg said:
@kraken2109 said:

I't not unlikely that a seasonal worker who is unable or unwilling to do seasonal work won't be scheduled to do seasonal work in the future.

1. I am starting a new and better job on 3 weeks. So all this talk about not having a good reference from Best Buy means zero. 2. Even if I didn't have a job lined up I would be fine. My spouse has her MBA and a real job where they don't treat her like a sub-human like these retailers who are forcing people to work Thanksgiving. I have kids. Spending time with them on Thanksgiving is more important. Again man, I asked directly during my interview what the schedule would be like on Thanksgiving and he told me probably starting at midnight. If I knew it was even a possibility I wouldn't have taken it.

That has nothing to do with my point, but thanks for sharing a random thought for the day.

PS-No retailer in the country is forcing anyone to work on Thanksgiving.

They are making it mandatory though. Hence the reason I am quitting.

@thegerg said:
@kraken2109 said:

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

Yes they can. They can fire you if you're confined to a hospital bed due to being in a car wreck on the way to work.