Should everyone automatically be an organ donor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Oh well.....I don't know if they'd transplant without any knowledge of the patient. That would be risky. Not sure how quick they'd know that answer either.

Why won't you tell me if you believe in implied consent for first aid? You said that not withdrawing consent should not be seen as giving consent...so should the default be do not resuscitate? And why isn't it in the US?

I hope you aren't talking about the medical profession because they are supposed to save lives. And I hope you don't advocate letting someone die because they are unconscious and can't give consent for medical treatment. Very poor analogy. First aid is also not the same as organ harvesting.

Isnt it the government controlling your body (at least according to you)? They are assuming you give consent to having your life saved. And you have to consciously opt out and get a DNR. They are both about saving lives, why is one okay and not the other?
rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

The true problem in the lack of organs donors lies in the fact that there are no positive consequences to signing on while having no negative consequences to signing off. People who refuse to be a organ donor should not be able to receive organs from others, it is as simple as that.

LJS9502_basic

So people that have never donated blood shouldn't be given blood? Not very humane dude.....and frankly how would one be an organ donor if they are still alive? I suppose you could do kidney....but that is risky and most people won't do that unless it's for family.

Organ donations are quite a bit different from blood. Note that I talked about signing up to accept possible organ donations after death.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178878 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

pretty much only do kidney and liver while you're alive.  Lung is also possible

And then bone marrow, if that counts

lostrib

Bone marrow can be taken from living people so I think that one shouldn't count.

yeah, but kidney, liver, lung (rare) are pretty much the only living donor procedures.  

Are you sure about lung? Liver.....a piece I guess. That does grow back unless severely damaged. But while talking about organ donations....what about giving it to people that abused their body? IE David Crosby got two livers I think because he abused two. What is your opinion on that?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#154 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Person0"] Why won't you tell me if you believe in implied consent for first aid? You said that not withdrawing consent should not be seen as giving consent...so should the default be do not resuscitate? And why isn't it in the US?Person0
I hope you aren't talking about the medical profession because they are supposed to save lives. And I hope you don't advocate letting someone die because they are unconscious and can't give consent for medical treatment. Very poor analogy. First aid is also not the same as organ harvesting.

Isnt it the government controlling your body (at least according to you)? They are assuming you give consent to having your life saved. And you have to consciously opt out and get a DNR. They are both about saving lives, why is one okay and not the other?

actually in the hospital they do check with you or your loved ones about resuscitation or any other forms of life saving treatment

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="rastotm"]

The true problem in the lack of organs donors lies in the fact that there are no positive consequences to signing on while having no negative consequences to signing off. People who refuse to be a organ donor should not be able to receive organs from others, it is as simple as that.

rastotm

So people that have never donated blood shouldn't be given blood? Not very humane dude.....and frankly how would one be an organ donor if they are still alive? I suppose you could do kidney....but that is risky and most people won't do that unless it's for family.

Organ donations are quite a bit different from blood. Note that I talked about signing up to accept possible organ donations after death.

If someone needs a donation...I don't think they necessarily are the best specimens for donating.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Bone marrow can be taken from living people so I think that one shouldn't count.LJS9502_basic

yeah, but kidney, liver, lung (rare) are pretty much the only living donor procedures.  

Are you sure about lung? Liver.....a piece I guess. That does grow back unless severely damaged. But while talking about organ donations....what about giving it to people that abused their body? IE David Crosby got two livers I think because he abused two. What is your opinion on that?

Lung does occur from live donors, it is just really rare

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 rastotm

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

Person0

Well that's dumb because organs have to match a person, but I think organ donors should get priority over non-organ donors. (except in the case of heath related reasons)

I ment signing up for donorship, so your last sentence strongly resembles what I said.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Bone marrow can be taken from living people so I think that one shouldn't count.LJS9502_basic

That actually has been a point of contention for a while within the medical community.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 lostrib

[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="rastotm"]

rastotm

Well that's dumb because organs have to match a person, but I think organ donors should get priority over non-organ donors. (except in the case of heath related reasons)

I ment signing up for donorship, so your last sentence strongly resembles what I said.

that sucks for kids

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 lostrib

StrifeDelivery

That actually has been a point of contention for a while within the medical community.

I think they are supposed to prioritize taking in to account if the person will continueto abuse their organs. But I don't think they can prevent an organ from being specifically donated to a patient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I hope you aren't talking about the medical profession because they are supposed to save lives. And I hope you don't advocate letting someone die because they are unconscious and can't give consent for medical treatment. Very poor analogy. First aid is also not the same as organ harvesting.lostrib

actually in the hospital they do check with you or your loved ones about resuscitation or any other forms of life saving treatment

If they can't reach them or you get shot on the street they try to save you unless you have a DNR on you though.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 LJS9502_basic

StrifeDelivery

And he avoided answering it.:( What did they decide?
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]No you don't. What are you supposed to fill the form out at birth? What about those with slow mental abilities? People that don't know how to go about doing it? It's ridiculous to think it's okay to just take body parts from people without some form of permission. If donations are down...it's because people don't want to donate. Have you taken that step? It's not hard to do if you feel that way. What about a parent that loses a child and didn't fill out forms? How many parents think they will lose a child? You need legal consent. Not absence of non consent. Sometimes I weep for future with the minds I see in OT.

Um, who usually gives consent for children, the mentally handicapped or unstable, the elderly, or those who are mentally unfit to make their own choices? Their parents, legal caregiver or guardian or whoever has power of attorney. The same people who help decide your medical treatment, education, and lifestyle. If it IS as easy to sign up as you insist, it should be JUST as easy to opt out, no? Donations are down because people DO NOT realize how important it is. They don't bother because they don't see it as a pressing issue. They think they have time, we all think we have time. I could walk into work today and have a light fixture fall on me and snap my spine, you never know. People aren't organ donors unless they see it as something significantly important that they MUST do, most people who are indifferent would donate but can't be assed to fill out the forms. It isn't that hard to do, but people are not doing it. If you're asking if I'm an organ donor, yes. I am. And the older I get the more I add to my donation list. I'm signing up to be a marrow donor as well. I want them to take EVERYTHING they can use in any way or another. Ship my bits that are unfit for transplant to a teaching hospital for research. Did you read the last bit of my post? If a child dies, and the parents say "no organ donation" they would have that right as the legal guardians of that child, of a minor. The child is already dead, so they can't be overruled by being pronounced unfit to make decisions for the child, that is an entirely moot point. The family should always be allowed to veto organ donation except in a situation where the person has put into their will/wishes upon death that they are NOT allowed to make that choice. A dead body in most countries has no legal rights and also no legal owner. A dead body is an inanimate object and does not need consent. The consent extended is honestly more of a courtesy than anything if you look at it from a legal standpoint. I'm not saying we should steal organs from people. I'm saying we need to make it a very easy opt-out program rather than an opt-in. It would be a far more efficient system and thousands more lives would be saved every year. Laziness is literally killing people. It could be your mom or dad or sister or brother who need a new kidney or heart or lungs, and when they die waiting you might feel a little different.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="StrifeDelivery"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Are you sure about lung? Liver.....a piece I guess. That does grow back unless severely damaged. But while talking about organ donations....what about giving it to people that abused their body? IE David Crosby got two livers I think because he abused two. What is your opinion on that?lostrib

I think they are supposed to prioritize taking in to account if the person will continueto abuse their organs. But I don't think they can prevent an organ from being specifically donated to a patient

Why not? They decide who is at the top of the list or not. Also if you are traveling away from home...you get taken off the list for that time.
rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 rastotm

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

that's idiotic

lostrib

It's idiotic that organ donars die waiting in the line while those who do not donate survive.

so your idea is to let a bunch more people die?  you realize you can't just give away organs to random people right?

Or I guess all those people who can't be organ donors are just shit out of luck?

I'm certain that there would be far more organs available because there are far more people signed up. As there is actually a practical incentive to do so instead of just being a good person.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="rastotm"] It's idiotic that organ donars die waiting in the line while those who do not donate survive.

rastotm

so your idea is to let a bunch more people die?  you realize you can't just give away organs to random people right?

Or I guess all those people who can't be organ donors are just shit out of luck?

I'm certain that there would be far more organs available because there are far more people signed up. As there is actually a practical incentive to do so instead of just being a good person.

They can't say that is true though. Sweden has opt out and that has not affected the donation rate per million.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="StrifeDelivery"]

LJS9502_basic

Why not? They decide who is at the top of the list or not. Also if you are traveling away from home...you get taken off the list for that time.

why can't they prevent a specific donation? Because it's sepearate from the donor list. But now that I think about it, there may be restrictions on that to discourage organ trafficing. I'd have to do more research on it

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#168 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

It's not the TC's job to give you a full course on what organ donation is. If you don't know anything about it, perhaps you should look into before commenting on things you don't know anything about.

StrifeDelivery

"The TC doesn't have to do anything" I know, really redundant of you to post that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/business/economy/27view.html?_r=0

"Consider the difference in consent rates between two similar countries, Austria and Germany. In Germany, which uses an opt-in system, only 12 percent give their consent; in Austria, which uses opt-out, nearly everyone (99 percent) does. " StrifeDelivery

Can you answer what percentage of people are aware that decision has already been made for them, and that it isn't just fabricated consent?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="rastotm"] It's idiotic that organ donars die waiting in the line while those who do not donate survive.

rastotm

so only people who have opted in to be organ donors upon death, would be elligible for organ donations?

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 rastotm

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

[QUOTE="Person0"] Well that's dumb because organs have to match a person, but I think organ donors should get priority over non-organ donors. (except in the case of heath related reasons)lostrib

that sucks for kids

Parents consent untill the child is 18.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

so only people who have opted in to be organ donors upon death, would be elligible for organ donations?

That seems worse than people not donating TBH....and if the body is in good shape...in the US anyway...they do ask the families. It's never entirely too late.
rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 rastotm

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

Yes. People who opted out can't receive as long as there are people who opted in waiting for the same organ.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="rastotm"] I'm certain that there would be far more organs available because there are far more people signed up. As there is actually a practical incentive to do so instead of just being a good person.

rastotm

Yes. People who opted out can't receive as long as there are people who opted in waiting for the same organ.

Should be bases on severity as it is now.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#174 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Yeah, sure. People who pay exorbitant amounts of money for stuff like funerals and coffins are pretty stupid.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 LJS9502_basic

Yeah, sure. People who pay exorbitant amounts of money for stuff like funerals and coffins are pretty stupid.

Aljosa23
You'd still have to pay for that....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

LJS9502_basic

Not if you give your body to science! Can go to the body farm.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Person0

Pieces everywhere....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] You'd still have to pay for that....LJS9502_basic

Pieces everywhere....

Better then decomposing in some dark box underground and wasting a ton of money.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Person0"] Not if you give your body to science! Can go to the body farm.Person0

Pieces everywhere....

Better then decomposing in some dark box underground and wasting a ton of money.

Eh depends on what they do with the parts. Worms need food too....
StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 StrifeDelivery

[QUOTE="StrifeDelivery"]

It's not the TC's job to give you a full course on what organ donation is. If you don't know anything about it, perhaps you should look into before commenting on things you don't know anything about.

SirWander

"The TC doesn't have to do anything" I know, really redundant of you to post that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/business/economy/27view.html?_r=0

"Consider the difference in consent rates between two similar countries, Austria and Germany. In Germany, which uses an opt-in system, only 12 percent give their consent; in Austria, which uses opt-out, nearly everyone (99 percent) does. " StrifeDelivery

Can you answer what percentage of people are aware that decision has already been made for them, and that it isn't just fabricated consent?

Seems people have to be redundant for you to get something, since you are talking about unstated premises that only you believe exist in a topic you don't seem to understand.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#181 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Most definitely, if they are clean. Obviously you wouldn't want some junkies organs, lol ..

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 StrifeDelivery

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

LJS9502_basic

They can't say that is true though. Sweden has opt out and that has not affected the donation rate per million.

That may be the case for Sweden, as there are a variety of factors.

http://theconversation.com/opt-out-organ-donation-in-wales-a-model-for-australia-15945

"Defaults make a big difference. A study by Eric J. Johnson and Daniel G. Goldstein involved asking different people in an online survey whether they would be willing to be donors in several different hypothetical scenarios.

In the first scenario, participants were told that the default was not to be an organ donor (but they had the option to consent-in). In the second, participants were told that the default was to be an organ donor (but had the option to opt-out).

Not surprisingly, this made a big difference. When participants had to consent-in, only 42% chose to do so. If they had to opt-out, 82% agreed to donate.

Is this also the case in practice? The best empirical evidence currently available suggests it is.

In 2008, the UK government commissioned an independent review of the available research. There were five studies that compared donation rates before and after the introduction of an opt-out system in particular countries; eight compared donation rates between consent-in and opt-out system countries.

The results? All five of the before-and-after studies reported an increase in donation rates after the introduction of opt-out. And in the four between-country comparison studies judged the most methodologically rigorous, there were associated increases in donation of 25-30%, 21-26%, 2.7 more donors per million population, and 6.14 more donors per million population.

Of course, correlation does not equal causation, and other factors may have played a role. Nonetheless, the review concluded that:

The available evidence suggests that presumed consent [opt-out] is associated with increased organ donation rates, even when other factors are accounted for."

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="rastotm"] I'm certain that there would be far more organs available because there are far more people signed up. As there is actually a practical incentive to do so instead of just being a good person.

StrifeDelivery

"Defaults make a big difference. A study by Eric J. Johnson and Daniel G. Goldstein involved asking different people in an online survey whether they would be willing to be donors in several different hypothetical scenarios.

In the first scenario, participants were told that the default was not to be an organ donor (but they had the option to consent-in). In the second, participants were told that the default was to be an organ donor (but had the option to opt-out).

Not surprisingly, this made a big difference. When participants had to consent-in, only 42% chose to do so. If they had to opt-out, 82% agreed to donate.

Is this also the case in practice? The best empirical evidence currently available suggests it is.

In 2008, the UK government commissioned an independent review of the available research. There were five studies that compared donation rates before and after the introduction of an opt-out system in particular countries; eight compared donation rates between consent-in and opt-out system countries.

The results? All five of the before-and-after studies reported an increase in donation rates after the introduction of opt-out. And in the four between-country comparison studies judged the most methodologically rigorous, there were associated increases in donation of 25-30%, 21-26%, 2.7 more donors per million population, and 6.14 more donors per million population.

Of course, correlation does not equal causation, and other factors may have played a role. Nonetheless, the review concluded that:

The available evidence suggests that presumed consent [opt-out] is associated with increased organ donation rates, even when other factors are accounted for."

Current thinking is that correlation does not equal causation on this issue. *shrugs*  That includes thinking in the UK by the way. 

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 StrifeDelivery

[QUOTE="StrifeDelivery"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]They can't say that is true though. Sweden has opt out and that has not affected the donation rate per million.LJS9502_basic

Current thinking is that correlation does not equal causation on this issue. *shrugs*  That includes thinking in the UK by the way. 

I know, that's why I included that last bit, specifically "The available evidence suggests that presumed consent is associated with increased organ donation rates, even when other factors are accounted for." Particularly the line about other factors being accounted for. Of course everyone knows correlation doesn't equal causation, almost stale hearing it.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

no, some people are just cesspools of disease. putting an aids ridden organ in someone that wants to live a fairly comfortable lifestyle seems counterproductive.

SirWander

Go back to school!

phoenix_wright_news1.jpg

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 SirWander

Seems people have to be redundant for you to get something, since you are talking about unstated premises that only you believe exist in a topic you don't seem to understand.

StrifeDelivery

Oh, that does seem to be the case. 

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts
No, I shouldn't have to tell you to not take things that are mine.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#188 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

The only reason not to be an organ donor is if you think you'll need your organs in the afterlife, which makes you an ancient Egyptian mummy.Makhaidos

Or maybe they just don't want to.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

no, some people are just cesspools of disease. putting an aids ridden organ in someone that wants to live a fairly comfortable lifestyle seems counterproductive.

SirWander

Er, they test organs.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Nah. If people want to be organ donors they have to volunteer.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Master_Live
It should be opt in. The process doesn't take that long, do it and you will feel better.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Master_Live
[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Person0"] You have the same exact rights in opt in vs opt out. The difference is that you have to make a conscious effort to not save other people's lives and wellbeing.

That's implied consent. Which isn't right. Again...what the f*ck is stopping those that honestly want to donate? Not a damn thing.....

This leads to a significant shortage of organs.

And so it does.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]That's implied consent. Which isn't right. Again...what the f*ck is stopping those that honestly want to donate? Not a damn thing.....Master_Live
This leads to a significant shortage of organs.

And so it does.

Ok...
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 SirWander

Er, they test organs.airshocker

Yep.

that post has proved to be more popular than I think it warrants to be.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts
No, they're my organs, go get your own.
Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts
That would be a terrible idea.
HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]Er, they test organs.SirWander

Yep.

that post has proved to be more popular than I think it warrants to be.

Nah.

That post was pretty stupid.  I'm surprised it didn't get more attention.

Also surprised that you took the time to delete it in that quote, but you're too daft to delete the original to avoid future quotings.  And that's even more hilarious after reading all of your feeble attempts at defending such a stupid post. 

Does the OP have to give you instructions?

Lel.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 SirWander

Nah.

That post was pretty stupid.  I'm surprised it didn't get more attention.

Also surprised that you took the time to delete it in that quote, but you're too daft to delete the original to avoid future quotings.  And that's even more hilarious after reading all of your feeble attempts at defending such a stupid post. 

Does the OP have to give you instructions?

Lel.

HavocV3

oh

I suppose. Do you think it's that remarkable?

Why would I delete the original post when so many have already quoted it? Also, it doesn't take that much time. At least it was worth reading.

No. The TC has no obligations to give instructions.

hmm

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#200 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

What if I need those in my next life?Â