Should everyone automatically be an organ donor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178887 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

Didn't say anything about rights.  Simply responded to your statement that they should have a say, which they do.  

lostrib

No they don't. You have to actively find out that your body will harvested. Then you have to find out how to stop that if you don't wish that. It's not donation if taken.

They have a say, they can opt out in this hypothetical.  For someone who argues semantics a lot, you are really not getting this

No you are not getting this. If you have to opt out then it's already been decided what the default is. That is NOT donation.

And I do NOT argue semantics unless some idiot trys to turn it into such. 

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] No they don't. You have to actively find out that your body will harvested. Then you have to find out how to stop that if you don't wish that. It's not donation if taken.LJS9502_basic

They have a say, they can opt out in this hypothetical.  For someone who argues semantics a lot, you are really not getting this

No you are not getting this. If you have to opt out then it's already been decided what the default is. That is NOT donation.

Once again, you said they should have a say.  they do have a say as they can opt out.  

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] So? We can harvest your organs right now and save more people. What's one death compared to the many lives we can save.

One involves killing me the other involve me already being dead, pretty big difference.

Ah but your argument is about saving lives. So what's to say we don't pick undesirables and harvest them. The numbers game is a slippery one....

My argument is that many more lives could be saved by switching to an opt-out system. You still have the same options available to you the difference is that an opt out system saves many more lives while preserving the freedom to choose.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 LJS9502_basic

lostrib

Once again, you said they should have a say.  they do have a say as they can opt out.  

You simply aren't getting it. I guess I read you wrong.

Again....the default takes away the right a person has with their body. If you have to fill out forms stating you don't want your body harvested then it is NOT a right. And since I've read abortion threads and no more often than not OT is pro choice I find it rather bizarre that they would consider such an idea as worthy. The TC there is no hope for but I had hoped we had some people intelligent enough to know that the government taking control of bodies as wrong.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] No you are not getting this. If you have to opt out then it's already been decided what the default is. That is NOT donation.LJS9502_basic

Again....the default takes away the right a person has with their body. If you have to fill out forms stating you don't want your body harvested then it is NOT a right. And since I've read abortion threads and no more often than not OT is pro choice I find it rather bizarre that they would consider such an idea as worthy. The TC there is no hope for but I had hoped we had some people intelligent enough to know that the government taking control of bodies as wrong.

it was a simple correction, holy crap.  They do have a say by having the ability to opt out. If they had no say at all then organ donation would be mandatory.  Holy shit

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Person0"] One involves killing me the other involve me already being dead, pretty big difference.

Ah but your argument is about saving lives. So what's to say we don't pick undesirables and harvest them. The numbers game is a slippery one....

My argument is that many more lives could be saved by switching to an opt-out system. You still have the same options available to you the difference is that an opt out system saves many more lives while preserving the freedom to choose.

And my argument is that if people want to donate...it's real easy to do so. And that is how it should be. Legally you'd create a shit storm. And would we rip the organ out if there is a lawsuit against the harvesting?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

it was a simple correction, holy crap.  They do have a say by having the ability to opt out. If they had no say at all then organ donation would be mandatory.  Holy shit

You're really really dense. Not everyone will ever know the default. Period. You cannot assume that someone consents because they haven't withdrawn consent. That's ridiculous and idiotic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Ah but your argument is about saving lives. So what's to say we don't pick undesirables and harvest them. The numbers game is a slippery one....

And my argument is that if people want to donate...it's real easy to do so. And that is how it should be. Legally you'd create a shit storm. And would we rip the organ out if there is a lawsuit against the harvesting?

We already have legal shit storms over things like organ harvesting. The problem is that having it default to no influences your choice a lot. And that influence leads to many preventable deaths, when we could have the same choices and options but save more lives.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] You simply aren't getting it. I guess I read you wrong.

LJS9502_basic

You're really really dense. Not everyone will ever know the default. Period. You cannot assume that someone consents because they haven't withdrawn consent. That's ridiculous and idiotic.

Holy shit, it was a simple correction of your statement.  Stop being dense.  Learn to admit when you're wrong

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 LJS9502_basic

lostrib

Holy shit, it was a simple correction of your statement.  Stop being dense.  Learn to admit when you're wrong

I'm not wrong. You are. You avoid all the questions. Nice dodge. But again...a lack of withdrawal of consent is NOT consent.

I guess with your logic if I take your car for a spin it's okay since you didn't tell me NOT to do so.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

ITT Sir Wander not understanding organ donation and LJ taking things too far yet again.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 LJS9502_basic

ITT Sir Wander not understanding organ donation and LJ taking things too far yet again.

StrifeDelivery

From a legal standpoint....I'm right. The rest of you....not so much.;)

I'd think morally I'm on the right track as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="StrifeDelivery"]

LJS9502_basic

Do you believe in implied consent for first aid? Or should people have to fill out forms so that they can get first aid and the default is DNR?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] You're really really dense. Not everyone will ever know the default. Period. You cannot assume that someone consents because they haven't withdrawn consent. That's ridiculous and idiotic.LJS9502_basic

I'm not wrong. You are. You avoid all the questions. Nice dodge. But again...a lack of withdrawal of consent is NOT consent.

I guess with your logic if I take your car for a spin it's okay since you didn't tell me NOT to do so.

oh my god, are you serious? I know it's the internet but it's okay to be wrong, or even admit something was poorly worded.  You said they should have a say, which they do.  It is not mandatory, they still have a say.  

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

oh my god, are you serious? I know it's the internet but it's okay to be wrong, or even admit something was poorly worded.  You said they should have a say, which they do.  It is not mandatory, they still have a say.  

Prove it. Prove that every single individual would have both the knowledge and mental capacity to understand that.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I'm not wrong. You are. You avoid all the questions. Nice dodge. But again...a lack of withdrawal of consent is NOT consent.

LJS9502_basic

Prove it. Prove that every single individual would have both the knowledge and mental capacity to understand that.

That's not what I'm talking about.  With an opt out, they still have a say.  I already said earlier that an opt out brings plenty of legal issues.  It was a simple correction that you've now turned into two pages of whining

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 LJS9502_basic

lostrib

That's not what I'm talking about.  With an opt out, they still have a say.  I already said earlier that an opt out brings plenty of legal issues.  It was a simple correction that you've now turned into two pages of whining

Dodging again. If you've never been told you have to opt out how do you have a say? If you are mentally slow and don't understand how do you have a say?
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] You're really really dense. Not everyone will ever know the default. Period. You cannot assume that someone consents because they haven't withdrawn consent. That's ridiculous and idiotic.LJS9502_basic

Perfect example of a false analogy right there.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Prove it. Prove that every single individual would have both the knowledge and mental capacity to understand that.LJS9502_basic

Dodging again. If you've never been told you have to opt out how do you have a say? If you are mentally slow and don't understand how do you have a say?

Ignorance does not remove the fact that you still have a say.  Just let it go, you poorly worded a statement.  And I already said that opt out wasn't the best option, jesus christ.  

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 LJS9502_basic

lostrib

Ignorance does not remove the fact that you still have a say.  Just let it go, you poorly worded a statement.  And I already said that opt out wasn't the best option, jesus christ.  

Ignorance? You cannot assume that someone not withdrawing consent means they consent. It's that simple. That's why contracts are written. They spell out the terms clearly for both parties.
StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 StrifeDelivery

[QUOTE="StrifeDelivery"]

LJS9502_basic

And yet other countries are doing just fine with being opt-out vs. being opt-in, but as long as you're moral, who cares right?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="StrifeDelivery"]

StrifeDelivery

And yet other countries are doing just fine with being opt-out vs. being opt-in, but as long as you're moral, who cares right?

Which countries?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]No, but you should probably have some idea how it works before you start arguing about it.SirWander

But no mention of it was made in the OP.

Of course not, because there was no need. It's common f***ing knowledge that organ donation doesn't involve just sticking organs in people with first testing them. Why should he have to explicitly mention something that's just common freaking knowledge?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Dodging again. If you've never been told you have to opt out how do you have a say? If you are mentally slow and don't understand how do you have a say?LJS9502_basic

Ignorance? You cannot assume that someone not withdrawing consent means they consent. It's that simple. That's why contracts are written. They spell out the terms clearly for both parties.

Why do we have implied consent for first aid?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Dodging again. If you've never been told you have to opt out how do you have a say? If you are mentally slow and don't understand how do you have a say?LJS9502_basic

they still have a say.  Jesus fvcking christ.  let it go

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#126 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

I don't. I just shake my head at the stupidity like I see in this thread. I mean seriously people don't see the legal ramifications and denial of rights when you treat bodies as harvest-able organs.LJS9502_basic

It's almost as if there is this naivete so strong that it ventures on the nonsensical. An op-out program will not increase the number of readily available, transferable organs in a a significant manner as the OP seems to imply that it will. A large majority of parents will choose to have their children op-out. People that have religious reasons for not being donors in the first place will op-out. People that are not comfortable with the idea of their organs being used will op-out. etc.

The point is when confronted with the choice of being an organ donor, people would rather not think about it. Which is why there seems to be a dearth of organ donors. It is not difficult to become an organ donor, it is remarkably and stupidly easy. Every licensed driver should have already made the decision to become an organ donor. An op-out system will not change the situation of readily available organs. Why? For the same reasons people don't choose to become organ donors in the first place.

A decision already made for you is not a choice freely given. Sure choosing not to have your organs harvested is as about as easy as agreeing to donate your organs after you die. What it won't do is make that decision any more comfortable for most people.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 StrifeDelivery

[QUOTE="StrifeDelivery"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] From a legal standpoint....I'm right. The rest of you....not so much.;)

LJS9502_basic

Which countries?

Spain and Austria come to mind, also it seems the European system is more opt-out than opt-in.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I don't. I just shake my head at the stupidity like I see in this thread. I mean seriously people don't see the legal ramifications and denial of rights when you treat bodies as harvest-able organs.SirWander

It's almost as if there is this naivete so strong that it ventures on the nonsensical. An op-out program will not increase the number of readily available, transferable organs in a a significant manner as the OP seems to imply that it will. A large majority of parents will choose to have their children op-out. People that have religious reasons for not being donors in the first place will op-out. People that are not comfortable with the idea of their organs being used will op-out. etc.

The point is when confronted with the choice of being an organ donor, people would rather not think about it. Which is why there seems to be a dearth of organ donors. It is not difficult to become an organ donor, it is remarkably and stupidly easy. Every licensed driver should have already made the decision to become an organ donor. An op-out system will not change the situation of readily available organs. Why? For the same reasons people don't choose to become organ donors in the first place.

A decision already made for you is not a choice freely given. Sure choosing not to have your organs harvested is as about as easy as agreeing to donate your organs after you die. What it won't do is make that decision any more comfortable for most people.

Comparing countries with opt in services to opt out and countries that changed from opt in to opt out show clearly that it does effect the percentage of people that donate. Opt out countries have a significantly higher percentage of people being donors.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="SirWander"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]No, but you should probably have some idea how it works before you start arguing about it.MrGeezer

Of course not, because there was no need. It's common f***ing knowledge that organ donation doesn't involve just sticking organs in people with first testing them. Why should he have to explicitly mention something that's just common freaking knowledge?

There is a small window of time to transplant. Generally if the organ is deemed compatible with the new body and the family has given the medical profession information on the individual the organ is transplanted. I'm not sure what tests you are talking about.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="StrifeDelivery"]

StrifeDelivery

Which countries?

Spain and Austria come to mind, also it seems the European system is more opt-out than opt-in.

Large disparities in organ donation rates exist throughout the world, despite the laws governing organ donation. Some European countries with opt-out systems have higher donation rates than the UK. However there is no clear evidence that opt-out is the sole factor. The fact that Sweden has an opt-out law does not seem to influence the donation rate per million of population, which is lower than that of the UK, which does not. Within almost all countries, large local variations exist in donation rates, despite a common legislative background.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="SirWander"]

LJS9502_basic

There is a small window of time to transplant. Generally if the organ is deemed compatible with the new body and the family has given the medical profession information on the individual the organ is transplanted. I'm not sure what tests you are talking about.

Testing for things like AIDS, Hepatitis...you know terrible diseases.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 lostrib

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="SirWander"]

LJS9502_basic

SirWander made a statement previously that they were going to just go around sticking AIDS riddled organs into people, which is simply not true

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I don't. I just shake my head at the stupidity like I see in this thread. I mean seriously people don't see the legal ramifications and denial of rights when you treat bodies as harvest-able organs.SirWander

In countries with opt out the family is still asked...like in the US...and if the family objects even if the individual was okay with it....the family's opinion is respected. There is also no real correlation that it increases transplants as Sweden has the opt out and a very low rate.
StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 StrifeDelivery

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/business/economy/27view.html?_r=0

"Consider the difference in consent rates between two similar countries, Austria and Germany. In Germany, which uses an opt-in system, only 12 percent give their consent; in Austria, which uses opt-out, nearly everyone (99 percent) does. "

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"] Of course not, because there was no need. It's common f***ing knowledge that organ donation doesn't involve just sticking organs in people with first testing them. Why should he have to explicitly mention something that's just common freaking knowledge?lostrib

SirWander made a statement previously that they were going to just go around sticking AIDS riddled organs into people, which is simply not true

Oh well.....I don't know if they'd transplant without any knowledge of the patient. That would be risky. Not sure how quick they'd know that answer either.
rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

The true problem in the lack of organs donors lies in the fact that there are no positive consequences to signing on while having no negative consequences to signing off. People who refuse to be a organ donor should not be able to receive organs from others, it is as simple as that.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#137 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

Of course not, because there was no need. It's common f***ing knowledge that organ donation doesn't involve just sticking organs in people with first testing them. Why should he have to explicitly mention something that's just common freaking knowledge?MrGeezer

Unstated premises can be wildly interpreted. The TC doesn't have to do anything; but I fail to see how these implications are a way to deny any point of contention?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 lostrib

The true problem in the lack of organs donors lies in the fact that there are no positive consequences to signing on while having no negative consequences to signing off. People who refuse to be a organ donor should not be able to receive organs from others, it is as simple as that.

rastotm

that's idiotic

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

rastotm
Most people who don't want to give their organs probably also don't want to receive them from others, if it is for religious reasons.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]There is a small window of time to transplant. Generally if the organ is deemed compatible with the new body and the family has given the medical profession information on the individual the organ is transplanted. I'm not sure what tests you are talking about.LJS9502_basic

Oh well.....I don't know if they'd transplant without any knowledge of the patient. That would be risky. Not sure how quick they'd know that answer either.

Why won't you tell me if you believe in implied consent for first aid? You said that not withdrawing consent should not be seen as giving consent...so should the default be do not resuscitate? And why isn't it in the US?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 LJS9502_basic

rastotm
So people that have never donated blood shouldn't be given blood? Not very humane dude.....and frankly how would one be an organ donor if they are still alive? I suppose you could do kidney....but that is risky and most people won't do that unless it's for family.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

rastotm
Well that's dumb because organs have to match a person, but I think organ donors should get priority over non-organ donors. (except in the case of heath related reasons)
StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 StrifeDelivery

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]There is a small window of time to transplant. Generally if the organ is deemed compatible with the new body and the family has given the medical profession information on the individual the organ is transplanted. I'm not sure what tests you are talking about.LJS9502_basic

Certain organs have a small window, as you have said LJ (hearts, lungs, kidneys, etc.). However, there are certain tissues that have longer lifespans regarding ligaments, heart valves, bones, corneas, etc. And yes, they do test organs for disease and general health.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 LJS9502_basic

Person0

Why won't you tell me if you believe in implied consent for first aid? You said that not withdrawing consent should not be seen as giving consent...so should the default be do not resuscitate? And why isn't it in the US?

I hope you aren't talking about the medical profession because they are supposed to save lives. And I hope you don't advocate letting someone die because they are unconscious and can't give consent for medical treatment. Very poor analogy. First aid is also not the same as organ harvesting.
rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

lostrib

that's idiotic

It's idiotic that organ donars die waiting in the line while those who do not donate survive.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 lostrib

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

LJS9502_basic

So people that have never donated blood shouldn't be given blood? Not very humane dude.....and frankly how would one be an organ donor if they are still alive? I suppose you could do kidney....but that is risky and most people won't do that unless it's for family.

pretty much only do kidney and liver while you're alive.  Lung is also possible

And then bone marrow, if that counts

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 StrifeDelivery

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"] Of course not, because there was no need. It's common f***ing knowledge that organ donation doesn't involve just sticking organs in people with first testing them. Why should he have to explicitly mention something that's just common freaking knowledge?SirWander

Unstated premises can be wildly interpreted. The TC doesn't have to do anything; but I fail to see how these implications are a way to deny any point of contention?

It's not the TC's job to give you a full course on what organ donation is. If you don't know anything about it, perhaps you should look into before commenting on things you don't know anything about.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="rastotm"]

lostrib

Bone marrow...not quite. But that is easy to give if you want to do that for someone....though I hear painful.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

rastotm

that's idiotic

It's idiotic that organ donars die waiting in the line while those who do not donate survive.

so your idea is to let a bunch more people die?  you realize you can't just give away organs to random people right?

Or I guess all those people who can't be organ donors are just shit out of luck?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] So people that have never donated blood shouldn't be given blood? Not very humane dude.....and frankly how would one be an organ donor if they are still alive? I suppose you could do kidney....but that is risky and most people won't do that unless it's for family.LJS9502_basic

Bone marrow can be taken from living people so I think that one shouldn't count.

yeah, but kidney, liver, lung (rare) are pretty much the only living donor procedures. Â