Should everyone automatically be an organ donor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

Ok, here's the deal. A lot of people die because they had to wait too long for an organ transplant. Right now there aren't enough organ donors, so my idea was that everyone should automatically be an organ donor. However, if you should choose, for whatever reason, not to be an organ donor, than you can opt- out. This way all the people who don't mind that their organs are used to help people when they die, but are too lazy to sign up as an organ donor, are all donors, and people who really don't want to be an organ donor can still opt- out.

So, what does ot think? Good idea or bad idea?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Ok, here's the deal. A lot of people die because they had to wait too long for an organ transplant. Right now there aren't enough organ donors, so my idea was that everyone should automatically be an organ donor. However, if you should choose, for whatever reason, not to be an organ donor, than you can opt- out. This way all the people who don't mind that their organs are used to help people when they die, but are too lazy to sign up as an organ donor, are all donors, and people who really don't want to be an organ donor can still opt- out.

So, what does ot think? Good idea or bad idea?

deeliman
I sort of wish it were like that. This is the primary reason why I'm not going to be an organ donor. I'd like to donate my organs when I die, but signing up requires me to actually do something, and I don't want to be an organ donor that badly.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Yeah I wouldn't mind it if you can opt out of it.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

no, some people are just cesspools of disease. putting an aids ridden organ in someone that wants to live a fairly comfortable lifestyle seems counterproductive.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Yes. Absolutely. 

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
No. It is my body and I get to decide wtf is done with it once I die.
Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts
The only reason not to be an organ donor is if you think you'll need your organs in the afterlife, which makes you an ancient Egyptian mummy.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deeliman
No. It is my body and I get to decide wtf is done with it once I die.AmazonTreeBoa
That's why you have the option to opt out... Please read the OP next time.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrGeezer

no, some people are just cesspools of disease. putting an aids ridden organ in someone that wants to live a fairly comfortable lifestyle seems counterproductive.

SirWander
Just because you're on the donor list doesn't mean your organs are actually going to be used.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

The only reason not to be an organ donor is if you think you'll need your organs in the afterlife, which makes you an ancient Egyptian mummy.Makhaidos

My mom thinks you need your organs after you die to go to heaven. 

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

No, I work at a hospital and the transplant team circle donors like   buzzards.  Maybe, they will wait until you die....maybe not.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

SirWander

I don't think you understand how donating organs works

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts

SirWander
people can't be this dumb...right?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lostrib

[QUOTE="SirWander"]

Person0

people can't be this dumb...right?

considering some people still think you can get AIDS from simply touching gay people...yeah people can be that dumb

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

[QUOTE="Makhaidos"]The only reason not to be an organ donor is if you think you'll need your organs in the afterlife, which makes you an ancient Egyptian mummy.Diablo-B

My mom thinks you need your organs after you die to go to heaven. 

Your mom has very weird beliefs.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AmazonTreeBoa
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]No. It is my body and I get to decide wtf is done with it once I die.deeliman
That's why you have the option to opt out... Please read the OP next time.

Don't ask a complete question in your title next time.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#19 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

No, I don't want my organs in some sick guy.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
A better idea would be to forcibly make everyone an organ donor. What good would you do with your organs after you die?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib

A better idea would be to forcibly make everyone an organ donor. What good would you do with your organs after you die?GazaAli

I think it violates some people's religious beliefs

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GazaAli

No. It is my body and I get to decide wtf is done with it once I die.AmazonTreeBoa
After you die you lose the right to all of your possessions, why not loss your right to your body too ?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GazaAli

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]A better idea would be to forcibly make everyone an organ donor. What good would you do with your organs after you die?lostrib

I think it violates some people's religious beliefs

Yea I thought of that too. I don't know :?
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#24 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]No. It is my body and I get to decide wtf is done with it once I die.GazaAli

After you die you lose the right to all of your possessions, why not loss your right to your body too ?

No you don't, your possessions go to your estate, and are distrivuted as you state in your will.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
If I recall correctly dont you just have to fill in a circle when you get your ID to be an organ donor? Super simple and easy. I dont see why everyone isnt a donor. Wtf are you gonna do with your organs when youre dead?
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

My state asks a simple yes/no donor question every time you obtain or renew a state-issued photo i.d. (drivers license, etc.).  In effect, it takes zero effort to become a donor here.  If I'm dead, they're free to harvest whatever spare parts they can.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#27 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

No

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lostrib

If I recall correctly dont you just have to fill in a circle when you get your ID to be an organ donor? Super simple and easy. I dont see why everyone isnt a donor. Wtf are you gonna do with your organs when youre dead?Capitan_Kid

it violates some people's religions perhaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

If I recall correctly dont you just have to fill in a circle when you get your ID to be an organ donor? Super simple and easy. I dont see why everyone isnt a donor. Wtf are you gonna do with your organs when youre dead?Capitan_Kid
The problem is that is opt in. Psychologically people are less likely to opt in to organ donation compared to opting out if it was an opt out system. Switching to an opt out system would greatly increase organ donation without taking away choice... but we don't do it.

Also religion and weird doctors are gonna kill you for your orangans conspiracy theories.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GazaAli

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]No. It is my body and I get to decide wtf is done with it once I die.BuryMe

No you don't, your possessions go to your estate, and are distrivuted as you state in your will.

What I meant is that you can't "have" them anymore as in you yourself.
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"] After you die you lose the right to all of your possessions, why not loss your right to your body too ?

GazaAli

Well as far as I know you don't really have to give them to anyone, but the state will seize them for not paying taxes or something. No idea. Luckily we aren't paying taxes for our body parts yet so we can keep that, until the worms show up.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

We could just end all the bullshit surrounding stem cell research and create new organs in literally prisitine condition to whatever standard a person needs.

The research is still in its infancy and we can already grow viable tissue for transplants.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

SirWander
You do realize that they test the organs for stuff like that right?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lostrib

We could just end all the bullshit surrounding stem cell research and create new organs in literally prisitine condition to whatever standard a person needs.

The research is still in its infancy and we can already grow viable tissue for transplants.

Squeets

that would take some time 

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
If they can opt out sure. I'll view those people as incredibly selfish but whatever.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AmazonTreeBoa

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]No. It is my body and I get to decide wtf is done with it once I die.GazaAli

No I don't. If that were true, the moment I died, my will would be useless.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AmazonTreeBoa
[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"] After you die you lose the right to all of your possessions, why not loss your right to your body too ?

GazaAli

Just because I can't "have" them, doesn't mean I lose my rights to them. Again, that is why we have wills.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

lostrib

Only because it is mired in controversy... If we get another Bush in the White House they will advocate no federal grants for research once again... Why would any company invest in it at this point when out of nowhere our religiously idiotic government can cut a large portion of the funding of the research.

Almost nothing gets researched in this country that isn't subsidized by the government... It just cost too much money.

And of course it will take time, anything does... Short of the world ending we aren't going anywhere, though.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SirWander

Just because you're on the donor list doesn't mean your organs are actually going to be used.MrGeezer

not according to the OP, where it makes it seem like any organ will be used indiscriminately

I don't think you understand how donating organs workslostrib

that really has nothing to do with this vague hypothetical

You do realize that they test the organs for stuff like that right?Toxic-Seahorse

not in the OP, which you didn't bother to read

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SirWander

people can't be this dumb...right?Person0

Also religion and weird doctors are gonna kill you for your orangans conspiracy theories.

Person0

Apparently... yes. You edited that post twice and still managed to misspell "organs."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="Person0"]people can't be this dumb...right?SirWander

Person0

Apparently... yes. You edited that post twice and still managed to misspell "organs."

Sorry typing on a tablet... mistyping 1 word is totally as bad as being an idiot and not understanding organ donations.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

Squeets

Only because it is mired in controversy... If we get another Bush in the White House they will advocate no federal grants for research once again... Why would any company invest in it at this point when out of nowhere our religiously idiotic government can cut a large portion of the funding of the research.

Almost nothing gets researched in this country that isn't subsidized by the government... It just cost too much money.

And of course it will take time, anything does... Short of the world ending we aren't going anywhere, though.

to be honest embryonic stem cells probably aren't worth researching for this purpose but rather induced pluripotent stem cells or other adult stem cells

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lostrib

not according to the OP, where it makes it seem like any organ will be used indiscriminately

SirWander

you might need to read OP, he is simply referring to the already in place organ donor program but instead of opting in it's an opt out. So the default would be organ donors.  He's not talking about willy nilly sticking possibly disease infected organs into people

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]I don't think you understand how donating organs worksSirWander

You do realize that they test the organs for stuff like that right?Toxic-Seahorse

He suggested no such thing, he was only talking about people being on the list by default. How is that any more of a safety concern than the way things are currently run? Right now, in many places, all it takes to get put on the donor list is to sign the right form when you renew your driver's license. No medical examination or blood tests need to be done, which means there's nothing stopping a $hitload of sick-ass people from ALREADY being registered organ donors. Even after that, you don't have to go in for regular checkups or anything. In the 10 years between when you've signed on and when you die, you're free to not get a single medical examination. That means that when you finally die, for all anyone knows, you're full of AIDS, hepatitis, leprosy, and ebola. That's still not a problem. Do you know why? Because just because you've registered as an organ donor doesn't mean anyone is going to use your organs. They're still gonna test for this kind of stuff before putting your organs in another person, regardless of if the system is opt-in or opt-out.
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SirWander

Sorry typing on a tablet... mistyping 1 word is totally as bad as being an idiot and not understanding organ donations.Person0

We're not discussing the actual process of organ donation. What we are discussing is a vague hypothetical wherein every organ donated will seemingly be used.

As an aside; Do you really interpret everything you read as literally as you possibly can?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lostrib

[QUOTE="Person0"] Sorry typing on a tablet... mistyping 1 word is totally as bad as being an idiot and not understanding organ donations.SirWander

We're not discussing the actual process of organ donation. What we are discussing is a vague hypothetical wherein every organ donated will seemingly be used.

As an aside; Do you really interpret everything you read as literally as you possibly can?

that's not what the OP says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="Person0"] Sorry typing on a tablet... mistyping 1 word is totally as bad as being an idiot and not understanding organ donations.SirWander

So now because people called you out for being dumb you're gonna pull the "I was just joking/trolling" card?

Reading comprehension is fun, the OP just says the organ donation should be opt out instead of in, he doesn't say anything about using every single organ.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MrGeezer

We're not discussing the actual process of organ donation. What we are discussing is a vague hypothetical wherein every organ donated will seemingly be used.SirWander

The OP never suggested anything of the sort. The only person mentioning such a ridiculous hypothetical is YOU.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deeliman

How anyone can be such a dumb ass as you is really beyond me.
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SirWander

So now because people called you out for being dumb you're gonna pull the "I was just joking/trolling" card?

Person0

No. You did dodge the question, which sort of indirectly answers it.

he doesn't say anything about using every single organ.Person0

You are correct. No mention of how the organs will be used is ever given.