Should everyone automatically be an organ donor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

You are correct. No mention of how the organs will be used is ever given.

SirWander

That's because anyone with a functioning brain should already know that.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

The OP never suggested anything of the sort. The only person mentioning such a ridiculous hypothetical is YOU.MrGeezer

The OP did not suggest the contrary either. I know I am.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I think unless you absolutely declare that you do NOT want to be an organ donor, it should be the default. And if you ever need to get an organ transplant, you should automatically be an organ donor as well. Take some, give some. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to donate their organs. If I'm dying and there's no help for me, why not go down swinging and save some kid or somebody's mom with the bits of me that still work? You have no use for organs once you're dead, they either get stuck in the ground with you or thrown away. It's a waste, another human life could be saved by your donation of something you no longer need AT ALL. Can't wrap my head around why that wouldn't be a definite YES for anyone who isn't a religious whackadoo who thinks they can't get into the afterlife without all of their organs or something.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178879 Posts
No they should not. You should have a say in what happens to your body and that includes when you're no longer using it.
Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]I think unless you absolutely declare that you do NOT want to be an organ donor, it should be the default. And if you ever need to get an organ transplant, you should automatically be an organ donor as well. Take some, give some. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to donate their organs. If I'm dying and there's no help for me, why not go down swinging and save some kid or somebody's mom with the bits of me that still work? You have no use for organs once you're dead, they either get stuck in the ground with you or thrown away. It's a waste, another human life could be saved by your donation of something you no longer need AT ALL. Can't wrap my head around why that wouldn't be a definite YES for anyone who isn't a religious whackadoo who thinks they can't get into the afterlife without all of their organs or something.

Being religious, selfish and/or crazy seem to be the most common reasons.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

No they should not. You should have a say in what happens to your body and that includes when you're no longer using it.LJS9502_basic

you still do.  just changing from an opt in to an opt out

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="XilePrincess"]I think unless you absolutely declare that you do NOT want to be an organ donor, it should be the default. And if you ever need to get an organ transplant, you should automatically be an organ donor as well. Take some, give some. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to donate their organs. If I'm dying and there's no help for me, why not go down swinging and save some kid or somebody's mom with the bits of me that still work? You have no use for organs once you're dead, they either get stuck in the ground with you or thrown away. It's a waste, another human life could be saved by your donation of something you no longer need AT ALL. Can't wrap my head around why that wouldn't be a definite YES for anyone who isn't a religious whackadoo who thinks they can't get into the afterlife without all of their organs or something.

Because there isn't a way for those which want to donate to do so now....oh wait there is. Problem solved.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts
No they should not. You should have a say in what happens to your body and that includes when you're no longer using it.LJS9502_basic
That's why you can still opt out...
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 LJS9502_basic  Online

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]No they should not. You should have a say in what happens to your body and that includes when you're no longer using it.lostrib

That's wrong. Considering legal ramifications you need the opt in in writing. Like it is.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]No they should not. You should have a say in what happens to your body and that includes when you're no longer using it.deeliman
That's why you can still opt out...

No. You have no rights to someone else's body. The right needs to be given. Not taken.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="XilePrincess"]I think unless you absolutely declare that you do NOT want to be an organ donor, it should be the default. And if you ever need to get an organ transplant, you should automatically be an organ donor as well. Take some, give some. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to donate their organs. If I'm dying and there's no help for me, why not go down swinging and save some kid or somebody's mom with the bits of me that still work? You have no use for organs once you're dead, they either get stuck in the ground with you or thrown away. It's a waste, another human life could be saved by your donation of something you no longer need AT ALL. Can't wrap my head around why that wouldn't be a definite YES for anyone who isn't a religious whackadoo who thinks they can't get into the afterlife without all of their organs or something.LJS9502_basic

Because there isn't a way for those which want to donate to do so now....oh wait there is. Problem solved.

The problem is having it as opt in makes the default of not donating. People pretty much only opt in if they care about it. If someone doesn't care they simply leave the default which is being a non-donor. Making it opt out would change this so only people that really care about not donating would change it and not donate.

Opt in vs Opt out has very big change in organ donation.

And because of our current opt in policy we have a severe shortage of organs.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]No they should not. You should have a say in what happens to your body and that includes when you're no longer using it.LJS9502_basic

That's wrong. Considering legal ramifications you need the opt in in writing. Like it is.

yes, but in this system they still have a say.  

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 LJS9502_basic  Online

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Person0"] Being religious, selfish and/or crazy seem to be the most common reasons.Person0

The problem is having it as opt in makes the default of not donating. People pretty much only opt in if they care about it. If someone doesn't care they simply leave the default which is being a non-donor. Making it opt out would change this so only people that really care about not donating would change it and not donate.

No. You should not be taking freedom from people. You have the right to decide what to do with your body....not have it be assumed unless you say so. Second...what is stopping anyone that believes in donation from doing so right now? Nothing. So make sure you guys have all signed up. It's easy here. You just get it put on your driver's license.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 lostrib

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Person0"] Being religious, selfish and/or crazy seem to be the most common reasons.Person0

he is right though that it could cause some serious legal issues.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 LJS9502_basic  Online

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

No they don't. If the default is to "take" someone's organs then mistakes can be made. It's fine the way it is.
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 SirWander

How anyone can be such a dumb ass as you is really beyond me.deeliman

Your fount of ignorance may be even deeper than you can imagine. 

That's because anyone with a functioning brain should already know that.deeliman

So people are just born knowing how the process of organ transplantation works?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

So people are just born knowing how the process of organ transplantation works?

SirWander
No, but you should probably have some idea how it works before you start arguing about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="Person0"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Because there isn't a way for those which want to donate to do so now....oh wait there is. Problem solved. LJS9502_basic

No. You should not be taking freedom from people. You have the right to decide what to do with your body....not have it be assumed unless you say so. Second...what is stopping anyone that believes in donation from doing so right now? Nothing. So make sure you guys have all signed up. It's easy here. You just get it put on your driver's license.

If you still have the same choice its not taking freedom away. Why should they assume you don't want to be an organ donor? The problem is most people don't care enough to go fill out the paper work and opt in. You can see differences in organ donation by opt in vs opt out donation. Countries with opt out have many more people donating because you have make a conscious choice to say no, im gonna be selfish. Psychologically there is a big difference between opt in and opt out and it leads to thousands of people dying because they can't get organs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] That's wrong. Considering legal ramifications you need the opt in in writing. Like it is.LJS9502_basic

No they don't. If the default is to "take" someone's organs then mistakes can be made. It's fine the way it is.

Well if the default is to "waste" organs it normalizes it...
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Person0"] The problem is having it as opt in makes the default of not donating. People pretty much only opt in if they care about it. If someone doesn't care they simply leave the default which is being a non-donor. Making it opt out would change this so only people that really care about not donating would change it and not donate.

Person0

If you still have the same choice its not taking freedom away. Why should they assume you don't want to be an organ donor? The problem is most people don't care enough to go fill out the paper work and opt in. You can see differences in organ donation by opt in vs opt out donation. Countries with opt out have many more people donating because you have make a conscious choice to say no, im gonna be selfish. Psychologically there is a big difference between opt in and opt out and it leads to thousands of people dying because they can't get organs.

They should assume someone doesn't want to be an organ donor since they haven't expressly and legally made such a claim. I do hope you are not pro choice in regard to abortion since you are clearly arguing against a person's right to their body.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] No. You should not be taking freedom from people. You have the right to decide what to do with your body....not have it be assumed unless you say so. Second...what is stopping anyone that believes in donation from doing so right now? Nothing. So make sure you guys have all signed up. It's easy here. You just get it put on your driver's license.

Nobody is taking rights from anyone. You would still have the choice whether or not to donate organs, and which organs if any. You just have to opt out should you not want to donate, rather than opt in if you do. You still get 100% the same choice, and if you really care about NOT giving away any of your squishy bits, you'll make it known. Why should one assume that you DON'T want to donate organs or help others just because you never got around to signing up? So many people who would have and could have donated don't because they aren't registered because they never got around to it. Unless the person or their family specifically request no organ donation ahead of time or when they're pronounced dead, there was still a choice made by NOT opting out, and the choice not to say no is just as strong as the choice to say yes IMO.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] No. You should not be taking freedom from people. You have the right to decide what to do with your body....not have it be assumed unless you say so. Second...what is stopping anyone that believes in donation from doing so right now? Nothing. So make sure you guys have all signed up. It's easy here. You just get it put on your driver's license.

They should assume someone doesn't want to be an organ donor since they haven't expressly and legally made such a claim. I do hope you are not pro choice in regard to abortion since you are clearly arguing against a person's right to their body.

You have the same exact rights in opt in vs opt out. The difference is that you have to make a conscious effort to not save other people's lives and wellbeing.
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
I only checked to have my liver, heart, lungs, and kidneys donated. My skin and eyes, I kept. Plus I said I don't want my part used for medical research. I prefer the rest of me burned.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] No. You should not be taking freedom from people. You have the right to decide what to do with your body....not have it be assumed unless you say so. Second...what is stopping anyone that believes in donation from doing so right now? Nothing. So make sure you guys have all signed up. It's easy here. You just get it put on your driver's license.

Nobody is taking rights from anyone. You would still have the choice whether or not to donate organs, and which organs if any. You just have to opt out should you not want to donate, rather than opt in if you do. You still get 100% the same choice, and if you really care about NOT giving away any of your squishy bits, you'll make it known. Why should one assume that you DON'T want to donate organs or help others just because you never got around to signing up? So many people who would have and could have donated don't because they aren't registered because they never got around to it. Unless the person or their family specifically request no organ donation ahead of time or when they're pronounced dead, there was still a choice made by NOT opting out, and the choice not to say no is just as strong as the choice to say yes IMO.

No you don't. What are you supposed to fill the form out at birth? What about those with slow mental abilities? People that don't know how to go about doing it? It's ridiculous to think it's okay to just take body parts from people without some form of permission. If donations are down...it's because people don't want to donate. Have you taken that step? It's not hard to do if you feel that way. What about a parent that loses a child and didn't fill out forms? How many parents think they will lose a child? You need legal consent. Not absence of non consent. Sometimes I weep for future with the minds I see in OT.
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 SirWander

No, but you should probably have some idea how it works before you start arguing about it.MrGeezer

But no mention of it was made in the OP.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] That's wrong. Considering legal ramifications you need the opt in in writing. Like it is.LJS9502_basic

Yes they do.  They have a choice to opt out.  You said they should have a say, well they do.  

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Person0"] If you still have the same choice its not taking freedom away. Why should they assume you don't want to be an organ donor? The problem is most people don't care enough to go fill out the paper work and opt in. You can see differences in organ donation by opt in vs opt out donation. Countries with opt out have many more people donating because you have make a conscious choice to say no, im gonna be selfish. Psychologically there is a big difference between opt in and opt out and it leads to thousands of people dying because they can't get organs.

You have the same exact rights in opt in vs opt out. The difference is that you have to make a conscious effort to not save other people's lives and wellbeing.

That's implied consent. Which isn't right. Again...what the f*ck is stopping those that honestly want to donate? Not a damn thing.....
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 lostrib

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]No, but you should probably have some idea how it works before you start arguing about it.SirWander

But no mention of it was made in the OP.

mention of what?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 LJS9502_basic  Online

lostrib

Yes they do.  They have a choice to opt out.  You said they should have a say, well they do.  

No it's isn't. Unless you are going to canvass everyone continually to see if they don't want to donate...or changed their minds. Again...a person has a right to their body. Period. You are taking that right away.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] They should assume someone doesn't want to be an organ donor since they haven't expressly and legally made such a claim. I do hope you are not pro choice in regard to abortion since you are clearly arguing against a person's right to their body.

That's implied consent. Which isn't right. Again...what the f*ck is stopping those that honestly want to donate? Not a damn thing.....

The problem is that people that want to donate are going donate in either system, same with people that don't want to donate. But there is a large group of people that don't feel strongly and don't care enough so they just leave the default which is not donating. This leads to a significant shortage of organs.
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 SirWander

No you don't. What are you supposed to fill the form out at birth? What about those with slow mental abilities? People that don't know how to go about doing it? It's ridiculous to think it's okay to just take body parts from people without some form of permission. If donations are down...it's because people don't want to donate. Have you taken that step? It's not hard to do if you feel that way. What about a parent that loses a child and didn't fill out forms? How many parents think they will lose a child? You need legal consent. Not absence of non consent. Sometimes I weep for future with the minds I see in OT.LJS9502_basic

LJS, please don't take OT so seriously. I fear for your sanity.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] No they don't. If the default is to "take" someone's organs then mistakes can be made. It's fine the way it is. LJS9502_basic

No it's isn't. Unless you are going to canvass everyone continually to see if they don't want to donate...or changed their minds. Again...a person has a right to their body. Period. You are taking that right away.

Yeah even as a donor. You can't force people, just doesn't seem right.
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 SirWander

mention of what?

lostrib

exactly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

bobaban

Its not forcing...
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 LJS9502_basic  Online

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]No you don't. What are you supposed to fill the form out at birth? What about those with slow mental abilities? People that don't know how to go about doing it? It's ridiculous to think it's okay to just take body parts from people without some form of permission. If donations are down...it's because people don't want to donate. Have you taken that step? It's not hard to do if you feel that way. What about a parent that loses a child and didn't fill out forms? How many parents think they will lose a child? You need legal consent. Not absence of non consent. Sometimes I weep for future with the minds I see in OT.SirWander

I don't. I just shake my head at the stupidity like I see in this thread. I mean seriously people don't see the legal ramifications and denial of rights when you treat bodies as harvest-able organs.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="bobaban"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] No it's isn't. Unless you are going to canvass everyone continually to see if they don't want to donate...or changed their minds. Again...a person has a right to their body. Period. You are taking that right away.

Its not forcing...

Yes it is. Again....are you pro choice? Because if so you are clearly a hypocrite.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="SirWander"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]No you don't. What are you supposed to fill the form out at birth? What about those with slow mental abilities? People that don't know how to go about doing it? It's ridiculous to think it's okay to just take body parts from people without some form of permission. If donations are down...it's because people don't want to donate. Have you taken that step? It's not hard to do if you feel that way. What about a parent that loses a child and didn't fill out forms? How many parents think they will lose a child? You need legal consent. Not absence of non consent. Sometimes I weep for future with the minds I see in OT.LJS9502_basic

I don't. I just shake my head at the stupidity like I see in this thread. I mean seriously people don't see the legal ramifications and denial of rights when you treat bodies as harvest-able organs.

Dead people are dead. Their organs aren't going to help them when they're dead, but they can save many lives and make thousands better.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] No they don't. If the default is to "take" someone's organs then mistakes can be made. It's fine the way it is. LJS9502_basic

Simply responding to your statement that they should have a say, which they do.  It is not mandatory organ donorship

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#89 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
[QUOTE="SirWander"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]No you don't. What are you supposed to fill the form out at birth? What about those with slow mental abilities? People that don't know how to go about doing it? It's ridiculous to think it's okay to just take body parts from people without some form of permission. If donations are down...it's because people don't want to donate. Have you taken that step? It's not hard to do if you feel that way. What about a parent that loses a child and didn't fill out forms? How many parents think they will lose a child? You need legal consent. Not absence of non consent. Sometimes I weep for future with the minds I see in OT.LJS9502_basic

how is this different from any other thread?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="SirWander"]

Person0

Dead people are dead. Their organs aren't going to help them when they're dead, but they can save many lives and make thousands better.

So? We can harvest your organs right now and save more people. What's one death compared to the many lives we can save.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 LJS9502_basic  Online

lostrib

Simply responding to your statement that they should have a say, which they do.  It is not mandatory organ donorship

If the default is organ donation then yes....you are taking a rights away. Why should anyone have a right to another's organs?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 lostrib

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="SirWander"]

Person0

well, that doesn't mean you should be forced to donate your organs

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] No it's isn't. Unless you are going to canvass everyone continually to see if they don't want to donate...or changed their minds. Again...a person has a right to their body. Period. You are taking that right away.LJS9502_basic

If the default is organ donation then yes....you are taking a rights away. Why should anyone have a right to another's organs?

Didn't say anything about rights.  Simply responded to your statement that they should have a say, which they do.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I don't. I just shake my head at the stupidity like I see in this thread. I mean seriously people don't see the legal ramifications and denial of rights when you treat bodies as harvest-able organs.

So? We can harvest your organs right now and save more people. What's one death compared to the many lives we can save.

One involves killing me the other involve me already being dead, pretty big difference.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 lostrib

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Person0"] Dead people are dead. Their organs aren't going to help them when they're dead, but they can save many lives and make thousands better.Person0

One involves killing me the other involve me already being dead, pretty big difference.

still shouldn't have to give up your organs if you don't desire

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 LJS9502_basic  Online

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

Didn't say anything about rights.  Simply responded to your statement that they should have a say, which they do.  

No they don't. You have to actively find out that your body will harvested. Then you have to find out how to stop that if you don't wish that. It's not donation if taken.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I don't. I just shake my head at the stupidity like I see in this thread. I mean seriously people don't see the legal ramifications and denial of rights when you treat bodies as harvest-able organs.lostrib

I never advocated for it being mandatory, just saying if you're dead your organs ain't useful to you anymore.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]If the default is organ donation then yes....you are taking a rights away. Why should anyone have a right to another's organs?

LJS9502_basic

No they don't. You have to actively find out that your body will harvested. Then you have to find out how to stop that if you don't wish that. It's not donation if taken.

They have a say, they can opt out in this hypothetical.  For someone who argues semantics a lot, you are really not getting this

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Person0"] Dead people are dead. Their organs aren't going to help them when they're dead, but they can save many lives and make thousands better.

Ah but your argument is about saving lives. So what's to say we don't pick undesirables and harvest them. The numbers game is a slippery one....
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Person0"] Dead people are dead. Their organs aren't going to help them when they're dead, but they can save many lives and make thousands better.Person0

I never advocated for it being mandatory, just saying if you're dead your organs ain't useful to you anymore.

okay, but that does not mean they should necessarily go to someone else