Should black people receive reparations for slavery?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SaintWalrus
Member since 2011 • 1715 Posts

I'm yes and no.

Should every black person who was a descendent get a personal check? NO.

I think reparations should go into forms like education that would not just benefit one race, but other races as well.

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

No, slavery was bad, but it's over in America. Why should anybody get paid for the labor that happened over 100 years ago?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Slavery is not over in the US, but no they shouldn't.

DJ-PRIME90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#4 DJ-PRIME90
Member since 2004 • 11292 Posts
Absolutely not.
AussieePet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#5 AussieePet
Member since 2010 • 11424 Posts
Noo blacks are humans like we are they should get treated the same, unless we all get checks!
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

No they shouldn't.

Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Communist_Soul
Member since 2009 • 3080 Posts

Hell no, I would be pissed. Screw up the free market even more.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SaintWalrus

but the thing is,

Slavery was a crime against nature

and crimes against nature do not have a statute of limitations

Thus this crime has not received justice yet.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
Education should be improved in disadvantaged areas, as should extracurricular groups be implemented in those areas. But monetary reparations? No. I'm not big on that idea.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

but the thing is,

SaintWalrus

Giving money out isn't justice either. The people who had to endure slavery have died long ago.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

I'd also be pretty insulted if I only got a monetary award to make up for the slavery of years passed. There are more important focuses than handing out a cheque. Fix **** and make life better for those whose ancestors struggled. Don't give them a $1000 cheque they'll spend at Walmart buying a new TV.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Noo blacks are humans like we are they should get treated the same, unless we all get checks! AussieePet
Can't argue with this sentiment.

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts
Why, we would be just paying these people because their great great grandpas weren't payed for their labor and were forced to work and we're sorry for giving them an inconvenience.
SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SaintWalrus

[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"]

but the thing is,

sherman-tank1

Giving money out isn't justice either. The people who had to endure slavery have died long ago.

But what if they wanted to pass down that money Families who have received money from ancestors from slavery are profiting from that money today. Shouldn't that money go to something better?
Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Communist_Soul
Member since 2009 • 3080 Posts

I'd also be pretty insulted if I only got a monetary award to make up for the slavery of years passed. There are more important focuses than handing out a cheque. Fix **** and make life better for those whose ancestors struggled. Don't give them a $1000 cheque they'll spend at Walmart buying a new TV.

Lockedge

But everyone needs a TV.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SaintWalrus

Lockedge
I'm not talking about a personal check, I'm talking about funds that go towards education. But not funds that directly go to african americans, but for all people of all races who are struggling Makes no sense to help just one race when people in another are suffering as well.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#18 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I don't know a single black guy/girl who is/was a slave so no. The pre civil war era has been over for how many years now?

Everyone should just drop the race card. Every race wants equal rights. Paying blacks for their ancestors being slaves isn't a equal right for other races.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Unless he was enslaved personally, no. You shouldn't be entitled to anything special because of your blood.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

No, slavery was bad, but it's over in America. Why should anybody get paid for the labor that happened over 100 years ago?

Xeogua

Farthest statement from the truth. If you are talking about legal Slavery, then yes, but the sex trafficking and human trafficking buisness are huge in the United States.

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

[QUOTE="Xeogua"]

DarkGamer007

Farthest statement from the truth. If you are talking about legal Slavery, then yes, but the sex trafficking and human trafficking buisness are huge in the United States.

I stand corrected, but you know what I meant. :P

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
Yes because the white man has caused all minorities to be at a disadvantage,white man killed millions,spread diseases,killed off the Native Indians.Its a matter of time before the devil gets it
SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SaintWalrus
Yes because the white man has caused all minorities to be at a disadvantage,white man killed millions,spread diseases,killed off the Native Indians.Its a matter of time before the devil gets it Bucked20
Weighing in at 2255 POSTS! IT'S BUCKED20 let the FLAME WAR BEGIIIIN
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Yes they should, at least in some form. A nice start would be making sure that the schools in black communities are up to par with the quality of those in white communities. It's pretty sad that even though it's been over 150 years since slavery was finally abolished, huge racial discrepancies still exist in this country. Not many people even like to acknowledge the discrepancies.
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts
If the reparation came only from rich families who can be confirmed to have own slaves in the past that are still rich, sure. My family line was always relatively poor if not outright impoverished in that time, so they couldn't have been able to afford slaves. Slaves were fairly expensive, you see.
SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaintWalrus
Yes they should, at least in some form. A nice start would be making sure that the schools in black communities are up to par with the quality of those in white communities. It's pretty sad that even though it's been over 150 years since slavery was finally abolished, huge racial discrepancies still exist in this country. Not many people even like to acknowledge the discrepancies. -Sun_Tzu-
How about the schools that aren't up to par, in many non-black communities?
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

I don't believe the current generation should pay for the abuses of previous generations. We are not responsible for slavery. Thus, no. But I'm not opposed to spending money to help people who are struggling, regardless of race.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

[QUOTE="AussieePet"]Noo blacks are humans like we are they should get treated the same, unless we all get checks! WhiteKnight77

Nope. Although I would point out that, blacks still aren't treated the same. For example there's this study where almost identical resumes were sent out to thousands of employers; the only difference was the names. Traditionally black names were a lot less likely to get called in for an interview than traditionally white names. There's still quite a bit of racism out there. But, yeah, I think that paying people for being black is pretty silly.
D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 D3nnyCrane
Member since 2007 • 12058 Posts
They already got jazz music, the NBA and the Apollo, what more do they want?
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

[QUOTE="AussieePet"]Noo blacks are humans like we are they should get treated the same, unless we all get checks! Meinhard1

Nope. Although I would point out that, blacks still aren't treated the same. For example there's this study where almost identical resumes were sent out to thousands of employers; the only difference was the names. Traditionally black names were a lot less likely to get called in for an interview than traditionally white names. There's still quite a bit of racism out there. But, yeah, I think that paying people for being black is pretty silly.

I was in this class, and a student talked about how he/she knew someone who lived I guess in the South. One time, that person was walking down a road with his little brother. I think he and his brother were black. When a white woman was walking passed them, the black person told his brother to step aside and let the white woman pass by. Pretty crazy.
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
Yes they should, at least in some form. A nice start would be making sure that the schools in black communities are up to par with the quality of those in white communities. It's pretty sad that even though it's been over 150 years since slavery was finally abolished, huge racial discrepancies still exist in this country. Not many people even like to acknowledge the discrepancies. -Sun_Tzu-
Gokuja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gokuja
Member since 2005 • 3767 Posts
Yes because the white man has caused all minorities to be at a disadvantage,white man killed millions,spread diseases,killed off the Native Indians.Its a matter of time before the devil gets it Bucked20
If it wasn't the white man, it would have been some other race doin the same thing most likely. And even though slavery is a horrible thing, you should not get money because your ancenstors were slaves. The people getting the reparation today would not have been put through slavery. Should slaves at the time got reparations...I think so. If people today got it does that mean that I could look back into my family history and see if my past relatives were subjegated or maybe my family was a part of a witch hunt and were all burned alive that I could demand reparations for.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]Yes they should, at least in some form. A nice start would be making sure that the schools in black communities are up to par with the quality of those in white communities. It's pretty sad that even though it's been over 150 years since slavery was finally abolished, huge racial discrepancies still exist in this country. Not many people even like to acknowledge the discrepancies. SaintWalrus
How about the schools that aren't up to par, in many non-black communities?

They should rot until they are nothing but dust and ash to remind the white man of his past crimes against humanity.

[spoiler] Obviously they should be improved just the same [/spoiler]

Gokuja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gokuja
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]Yes they should, at least in some form. A nice start would be making sure that the schools in black communities are up to par with the quality of those in white communities. It's pretty sad that even though it's been over 150 years since slavery was finally abolished, huge racial discrepancies still exist in this country. Not many people even like to acknowledge the discrepancies. jeremiah06

I agree with this but that shouldn't be apart of reparations. We should just treat them equally.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Yes lets punish this generation for the idiocies of the past generations because this economy is not in shambles enough....

No....they should not

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
[QUOTE="Bucked20"]Yes because the white man has caused all minorities to be at a disadvantage,white man killed millions,spread diseases,killed off the Native Indians.Its a matter of time before the devil gets it Gokuja
If it wasn't the white man, it would have been some other race doin the same thing most likely. And even though slavery is a horrible thing, you should not get money because your ancenstors were slaves. The people getting the reparation today would not have been put through slavery. Should slaves at the time got reparations...I think so. If people today got it does that mean that I could look back into my family history and see if my past relatives were subjegated or maybe my family was a part of a witch hunt and were all burned alive that I could demand reparations for.

The money wouldn't come from all white people just the folks rich now that were also rich then and owned slaves... Also the money wouldn't go directly to black people but to urban education systems...
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#38 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
What do you think the Civil Rights movement was?
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

The simple fact that my ancestors did not live in the US until after slavery was abolished doesn't mean that all whites are guilty of having slave owners in their past. As it was, the Irish were also treated miserably in lots of instances, especially in New York. The Sandhogs (History Channel FTW before being corrupted) lived and died underwater building many a tunnel in the NYC area. Should all Irishmen get reparations for the mistreatment of their ancestors?

genfactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 genfactor
Member since 2004 • 1472 Posts
Should native Americans get reparations for what the white man did to them? Should white men that weren't rich land owners get reparations for not being allowed to vote? Should workers before the days of unions get reparations for having to work in "right-to-work" Foxcon conditions? Should women get reparations for sexism? Should Chinese people get reparations for the inhuman treatment they received building the railroads? Should Japanese-Americans get reparations for being placed in internment camps? Should latin-Americans in Aarizona get reparations for being the only Americans that get singled out for having to present papers that proves they're in the country legally? Should Muslim-Americans that have nothing to do with terrorism get reparations for how they were treated by their own country after 9/11? Should the loved ones of people who died because insurance companies denied treatment get reparations for having a pre-existing condition or whatever? I could go on forever. Basically, everyone that isn't born into wealth or power has been screwed over in one way or another. Because you can't give reparations to everyone, the best thing we can do is fight for a word that's more fair for everyone.
MysticGenie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MysticGenie
Member since 2005 • 1358 Posts

No. I don't have slaves. They weren't slaves. Their ancestors were. I personally don't owe them anything. If anything, they're getting "reparations" by affirmative action laws in the US.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
If they were at one point enslaved... certainly.
juiceman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 juiceman77
Member since 2012 • 134 Posts

Wow lol. If you guys read your history books which apparrently knowone has because they still blame the "white man," for enslaving they're race. The facts are that the Spanish sailed over to Africa bribed local tribe leaders with gold and they sold THEY'RE OWN PEOPLE TO THE SPANISH! Which in turn was sold to us during and after the Revolutionary War along with other countries. Now Africa is still consumed in civil war and American gangs that mostly consist of African Americans fight over territory like the bloods and the crips. Just in case you didn't already know they fight over territory because the one who controls the most sells the most drugs and whoever sells the most makes the most money and whoever makes the most money has the most power you see. So if you ask me nothing has changed in the last 1,000 years because Africans of all nationalities are still screwing over they're own people the "white man" among other just capitalized on it. So hell to the no they don't deserve it. Anyone agree?

gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gotdangit
Member since 2005 • 8151 Posts

Didn't they get like 2 acres and a goat...?

cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
We do it for Aboriginals in Australia and everyone hates them for it. Whilst the history of each matter is different, I think it's unnecessary in both cases.
Gokuja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Gokuja
[QUOTE="Gokuja"][QUOTE="Bucked20"]Yes because the white man has caused all minorities to be at a disadvantage,white man killed millions,spread diseases,killed off the Native Indians.Its a matter of time before the devil gets it jeremiah06

The money wouldn't come from all white people just the folks rich now that were also rich then and owned slaves... Also the money wouldn't go directly to black people but to urban education systems...

But still, the rich people didn't own slaves but if they wanted to do it themselves upon finding out that their relatives owned slaves that shoudl the their choice, not a law or anything. Its just not directly related at all and we should be trying to solve the issues of today in my opinion. Like the differences in black education and what not. Like someone else said its rediculous to think its been so long and theres still a wide gap. But truthfully some black people do not help their cause at all, Instead of trying to help their community and make a difference. But I'm sure its harder for them but I don't think that should be an excuse
D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 D3nnyCrane
Member since 2007 • 12058 Posts
We do it for Aboriginals in Australia and everyone hates them for it. Whilst the history of each matter is different, I think it's unnecessary in both cases.cheese_game619
Yeah but that's because the current generation was actually affected by the treatment of Aborigines. This is like me asking for plastic surgery because my great great great grandad was an ugly bas tard.
IBullseye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 IBullseye
Member since 2011 • 254 Posts

No, it was a terrible thing but what about the Jews and other types of people who went through hell aswell?

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

if any of the slaves are still alive, then they should get reparations. nobody that wasn't a slave should get anything.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -Sun_Tzu-

No, it was a terrible thing but what about the Jews and other types of people who went through hell aswell?

IBullseye
They got reparations.