Should black people receive reparations for slavery?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#51 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
No doubt there is a significant disparity in wealth and opportunity between the races, This is especially apparent with regards to education. Inner-city schools are overcrowded and underfunded, and this disproportionately affects nonwhite students due to the demographic makeup of the metropolitan area of just about every major US city. Less education = less opportunity = a perpetuation of one's low-income status. That being said, efforts to remedy this problem shouldn't be targeted specifically at one race, but at everyone. Where black people are disadvantaged the most, they will also happen to be helped the most.
Avatar image for deactivated-58df4522915cb
deactivated-58df4522915cb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 deactivated-58df4522915cb
Member since 2007 • 5527 Posts

no. it happened 100 years ago. the best thing we can do as a society is try to forget about it

heytheredarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 heytheredarlin
Member since 2010 • 869 Posts

This thread again?

Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
No because the people now have no say of what their ancestors did. They could have a whole different view on it. We have other things to worry about.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#55 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111411 Posts
Noo blacks are humans like we are they should get treated the same, unless we all get checks! AussieePet
I like the way you think.
Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts

They got reparations. -Sun_Tzu-

Hell, we even gave you your own damn country.

AND I NEVER HEAR A "THANKS" FROM YOU, SUN.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
[QUOTE="jeremiah06"][QUOTE="Gokuja"] If it wasn't the white man, it would have been some other race doin the same thing most likely. And even though slavery is a horrible thing, you should not get money because your ancenstors were slaves. The people getting the reparation today would not have been put through slavery. Should slaves at the time got reparations...I think so. If people today got it does that mean that I could look back into my family history and see if my past relatives were subjegated or maybe my family was a part of a witch hunt and were all burned alive that I could demand reparations for. Gokuja
The money wouldn't come from all white people just the folks rich now that were also rich then and owned slaves... Also the money wouldn't go directly to black people but to urban education systems...

But still, the rich people didn't own slaves but if they wanted to do it themselves upon finding out that their relatives owned slaves that shoudl the their choice, not a law or anything. Its just not directly related at all and we should be trying to solve the issues of today in my opinion. Like the differences in black education and what not. Like someone else said its rediculous to think its been so long and theres still a wide gap. But truthfully some black people do not help their cause at all, Instead of trying to help their community and make a difference. But I'm sure its harder for them but I don't think that should be an excuse

Well you can't build better schools and employ higher quality teachers without money... It has to.come from somewhere... "we should be trying to solve the issues of today in my opinion. Like the differences in black education" Thats the point... Find people sitting on old money that slaves helped make and use some of it to help build up education systems in poorer areas...
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]They got reparations. Jazz_Fan

Great neighborhood you picked out for us >_>
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
[QUOTE="cheese_game619"]We do it for Aboriginals in Australia and everyone hates them for it. Whilst the history of each matter is different, I think it's unnecessary in both cases.D3nnyCrane
Yeah but that's because the current generation was actually affected by the treatment of Aborigines. This is like me asking for plastic surgery because my great great great grandad was an ugly bas tard.

I would like to lump them together and have everyone against both. Might save me a few dollars a year on taxes.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
[QUOTE="Jazz_Fan"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]They got reparations. -Sun_Tzu-

Great neighborhood you picked out for us >_>

Lol.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#61 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

As much as I'd like a check for my ancestors mistreatment, I don't think it will be helpful to our ailing economy. So I think I'd decline....

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#62 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

This thread again?

heytheredarlin

Lol, of course. Soon as a thread questioning white people is made, whiny, snot-nosed, bratty racist white kids will report it and these racist mods on this site will lock it and say tough luck but will allow threads on Black people to go on forever. Only proves white people who are racist can dish it out but they can't take it. Deep down they love and admire Black people and try to emulate what they see. What race is repsonsible for things like nuclear weapons, war and cannibalism?

heytheredarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 heytheredarlin

[QUOTE="heytheredarlin"]

This thread again?

HipHopBeats

Lol, of course. Soon as a thread questioning white people is made, whiny, snot-nosed, bratty racist white kids will report it and these racist mods on this site will lock it and say tough luck but will allow threads on Black people to go on forever. Only proves white people who are racist can dish it out but they can't take it. Deep down they love and admire Black people and try to emulate what they see. What race is repsonsible for things like nuclear weapons, war and cannibalism?

I'm not sure how any of this applies to me, seeing as how I'm not white. :lol:

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Then I want reparations from Italy.

Rome ***** over my ancestors

Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts

What race is repsonsible for things like nuclear weapons, war and cannibalism?HipHopBeats

THE JEWS.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 HipHopBeats

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

[QUOTE="heytheredarlin"]

This thread again?

heytheredarlin

I'm not sure how any of this applies to me, seeing as how I'm not white. :lol:

It wasn't directed at you specifically. Just the racist cowards in these forums who love to dish it out but can't take it. Laughable s*** to say the least.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 HipHopBeats

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]What race is repsonsible for things like nuclear weapons, war and cannibalism?Jazz_Fan

THE JEWS.

Lol, they currently rule the world and got more than their just due for the holocaust.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 SaintWalrus
Member since 2011 • 1715 Posts

[QUOTE="Jazz_Fan"]

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]What race is repsonsible for things like nuclear weapons, war and cannibalism?HipHopBeats

THE JEWS.

Lol, they currently rule the world and got more than their just due for the holocaust.

But those funds went to the actual people who were affected, not towards descendants of the dead
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
What race is repsonsible for things like nuclear weapons, war and cannibalism?HipHopBeats
Well if we assume that mankind started out in Africa then the last two would be Africa or if you wanted to say war can only be between established civilizations then war has it's start in the middle east. So pretty much everyone is to blame! Asia you can blame for x-pop.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Deep down they love and admire Black people and try to emulate what they see.

HipHopBeats

Now why would I want to go around emulating anyone espcially those in your sig pic?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16576 Posts

no they shouldn't on technical grounds...most american blacks are mixed race....But I do think that education and healthcare should be improved for the poorer blacks and all other poor people. Only black people who should even be slightly considered for reparations would be the seniors. How are the younger generations affected?

heytheredarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 heytheredarlin

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

WhiteKnight77

Now why would I want to go around emulating anyone espcially those in your sig pic?

You're gonna honestly tell me you don't want those leopard print jeans?

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 SaintWalrus

no they shouldn't on technical grounds...most american blacks are mixed race....But I do think that education and healthcare should be improved for the poorer blacks and all other poor people. Only black people who should even be slightly considered for reparations would be the seniors. How are the younger generations affected?

blaznwiipspman1
They aren't affected particularly Discrimination? Lol, every race goes through that, including women who sometimes have it worse. Poor family values? Once again, not race exclusive, And even if its more prevalent in the AA community, that's just something time and a revolution of Media images can fix
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

heytheredarlin

God no. I wouldn't be caught dead in them.

heytheredarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 heytheredarlin

[QUOTE="heytheredarlin"]

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

WhiteKnight77

God no. I wouldn't be caught dead in them.

Maybe not but that leopard was caught dead ON him! Am I right? Anyone?

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#77 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts
Enough about redguards getting compensated.
infinite884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 infinite884
Member since 2008 • 701 Posts

it seems white people are the only ones who keep bringing up this question. Ironic

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 SaintWalrus

it seems white people are the only ones who keep bringing up this question. Ironic

infinite884
I'm black
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Yes, as long as my Irish ancestors do too. Come to think of it, the Confederate states should get reparations for the civil war. The slave owners should get paid for what they lost. The Americans should all pay reparation to England for taking their materials back during the founding of the Americas.

Or they could make an offer to pay the descendants of a slave family whatever they lost when they were taken and take them back home if they wish.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
No.
infinite884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 infinite884
Member since 2008 • 701 Posts

[QUOTE="infinite884"]

SaintWalrus

I'm black

then you should definitely know better then to ask this, i'm of african descent also and what our ancestors went through and endured to allow us the freedoms we have now are all the reparations we need.

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#83 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts
Actually I wouldn't mind having a slave. Doesn't have to be a black slave...
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#84 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
Only the ones who are still alive
SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 SaintWalrus

Here's what I propose

We cannot do the following.

- Give it in the form of a personal check. too many people would abuse it

- Give it exclusively to a single race.

- Tax the taxpayers to fund this expenditure

What we should do

- Give it in the form of Education, maybe some health on the side

- Fund schools that are doing poorly period, regardless of race. That way blacks and non-blacks benefit and society gets better

- Take the money from people who have had money passed down from slavery

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 SaintWalrus

Here's what I propose

We cannot do the following.

- Give it in the form of a personal check. too many people would abuse it

- Give it exclusively to a single race.

- Tax the taxpayers to fund this expenditure

What we should do

- Give it in the form of Education, maybe some health on the side

- Fund schools that are doing poorly period, regardless of race. That way blacks and non-blacks benefit and society gets better

- Take the money from people who have had money passed down from slavery

SaintWalrus
And to those that say Bu-bu-bu The japanese and the jews got money just for them Big difference Those that received money were DIRECTLY affected We are talking about people who have never been a slave in their entire lives
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
If Black people are going to get reparations for what their ancestors went through, then I want reparations for all the sh*t my ancestors inevitably went through.
starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

I'm yes and no.

Should every black person who was a descendent get a personal check? NO.

I think reparations should go into forms like education that would not just benefit one race, but other races as well.

SaintWalrus

It's fairly difficult to quantify the amount of suffering upon the African-American public, but I do support some type of reparations for slavery. As to how they would go about this, I don't have a clue, but Dave Chappelle has a few good ideas about what would happen.

Seriously though, I do support reparations.

As for your 3rd point, I don't see how it has anything to do with reparations...

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 SaintWalrus

[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"]

I'm yes and no.

Should every black person who was a descendent get a personal check? NO.

I think reparations should go into forms like education that would not just benefit one race, but other races as well.

starfox15

It's fairly difficult to quantify the amount of suffering upon the African-American public, but I do support some type of reparations for slavery. As to how they would go about this, I don't have a clue, but Dave Chappelle has a few good ideas about what would happen.

Seriously though, I do support reparations.

As for your 3rd point, I don't see how it has anything to do with reparations...

Think about this. The amount of reparations owed, according to certain groups is Between 8 and 100 trillion dollars. Should one race benefit from this enormous amount alone? No. We get the government to stop needless spending to allocate more funds towards this expenditure and raise taxes on everybody And get more money into the Health and education system OVERALL to help out all races equally.

So what I'm saying is that we should use reparations as a front to put more money into the system overall and make a better country.

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#90 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

Nope.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 SaintWalrus

We can throw as much money at blacks as we want,

But the racial gap problem lies within the values of many african Americans.

Nothing but time and positive images, and some therapy to help alleviate an inferiority complex issue, will fix the gap.

4seal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 4seal
Member since 2005 • 605 Posts

Yes they should, at least in some form. A nice start would be making sure that the schools in black communities are up to par with the quality of those in white communities. It's pretty sad that even though it's been over 150 years since slavery was finally abolished, huge racial discrepancies still exist in this country. Not many people even like to acknowledge the discrepancies. -Sun_Tzu-

To say that BECAUSE whites enslaved blacks they should get reparations, and those reparations being better schools, sounds racist. What would happen if whites did not enslave blacks? Would we then have no reason to help a school in a black community? I can think of a million reasons to help that school, and none of them have to do with reparations.

Also, no, blacks should not get reparations. There where black slave traders back then as well, so unless they are going to get reparations from both white and blacks, then no. Also, I think they already got reparations when we fought to get them free and killed those slimy slave traders.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 SaintWalrus

I know what you're thinking

"But we help out specific races all the time."

But is affirmative action really right?

When California eliminated it, top universities like BERKELEY and UCLA reported only a minor percentage drop for minorities.

Like I said, Time and positive imagery will fix it.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 SaintWalrus

I know what you're thinking

"But we help out specific races all the time."

But is affirmative action really right?

When California eliminated it, top universities like BERKELEY and UCLA reported only a minor percentage drop for minorities.

Like I said, Time and positive imagery will fix it.

SaintWalrus
oN A side note The asian population at BERKELEY sKyrocketed. Heh
Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
Yes, the slaves should receive reparations. Oh, that's right they're already long dead. The spoiled black kids whining about being "oppressed" these days when they have every advantage given to them to make it in today's world, they should receive the middle finger and nothing more.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]Yes they should, at least in some form. A nice start would be making sure that the schools in black communities are up to par with the quality of those in white communities. It's pretty sad that even though it's been over 150 years since slavery was finally abolished, huge racial discrepancies still exist in this country. Not many people even like to acknowledge the discrepancies. 4seal

To say that BECAUSE whites enslaved blacks they should get reparations, and those reparations being better schools, sounds racist. What would happen if whites did not enslave blacks? Would we then have no reason to help a school in a black community? I can think of a million reasons to help that school, and none of them have to do with reparations.

Also, no, blacks should not get reparations. There where black slave traders back then as well, so unless they are going to get reparations from both white and blacks, then no. Also, I think they already got reparations when we fought to get them free and killed those slimy slave traders.

So what if there were black slave traders? A huge amount of wealth was acquired in this country from the sweat and blood of black slaves, and now it's been over 150 years and what do their descendants have to show for it? Disproportionate poverty, unemployment, and imprisonment. That's the legacy of slavery for blacks in America.
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

No. Instead each person should be given $3,000,000 just because. :cool:

NOTE: "Each person" means everyone, whites, blacks, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

No. Instead each person should be given $3,000,000 just because. :cool:

NOTE: "Each person" means everyone, whites, blacks, etc.

gamerguru100
That's an idea I can get behind. Then Obama can go on tv and just yell "suck it, world!"
howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#99 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

No.

AussieePet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#100 AussieePet
Member since 2010 • 11424 Posts
Actually I wouldn't mind having a slave. Doesn't have to be a black slave...chilly-chill
The person you marry is kinda like your slave