"My taste in music is better than yours"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#201 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

You're still trying to make this about me and my exxperience because you can't argue the logic of it. You're basically scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

Any one person's experience is immaterial to facts and objectivity only deals in facts.

These are facts:

The sun rises in the morning.

President Obama was born in Hawaii.

A violin has strings.

Notice that none of these statements contain value judgments.

Objectivity only deals in facts and facts cannot be influenced by one's lack of experience or one's wealth of experience, so that is irrelevant.

MrGeezer

Experience is highly relevant.

Accurate criticism is not easy just like good musicianship isn't easy. You wouldn't expect an inexperienced musician to create a masterpiece, and it also doesn't make sense to expect an inexperienced critic to be able to effectively criticize the work or otherwise talk about it in any meaningful capacity.

Inexperienced people make for poor judges of talent.

And yeah...you can tell me that a violin has strings, but I might not agree with you if I am so vastly inexperienced that I don't know what a violin is. Objective fact or not, I could still disagree with you and I'd simply be WRONG.

You would be wrong because it is fact that a violin has six strings. The violin will still have six strings regardless of either of our experience.

I never said that an inexperience person is an accurate critic. Where are you getting that from? I simply said that quality is not objective, which is isn't because it contains value judgments. To judge quality, one must opine. Period.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Right. Because a well prepared meal is equal to an undercooked, dry meal.LJS9502_basic

But how cooked something is says nothing about its quality, it only speaks to whether it's cooked or not.

It is through our opinion that cooked meals are better than non-cooked meals that we determine "quality".

Undercooked meals are not quality dude.:|

I enjoy my steak rare, although in some people's eyes that's undercooked. A good, quality rare steak. Mmmm *Goes to cook steak*
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#203 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
I have to get up for work in less than five hours so I'm calling it a night. I will say that the more experience one has with music the more objective one is about it. Otherwise all that one has is subjective opinion without knowing what makes music good. The two are not the same. Happy listening....
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Right. Because a well prepared meal is equal to an undercooked, dry meal.LJS9502_basic

But how cooked something is says nothing about its quality, it only speaks to whether it's cooked or not.

It is through our opinion that cooked meals are better than non-cooked meals that we determine "quality".

I never said undercooked meals are quality. Why do you keep putting words into my mouth?

What I said is that the reason we think cooked meals are quality is because of a collective opinion.

After all, we are making a judgment about cooked meals. The only fact is that the meal is not cooked. Whether it's quality or not comes down to our collective opinion about what constitutes a "quality" meal.

Facts cannot contain judgements and objectivity only deals in facts.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#205 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

You're still trying to make this about me and my exxperience because you can't argue the logic of it. You're basically scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

Any one person's experience is immaterial to facts and objectivity only deals in facts.

These are facts:

The sun rises in the morning.

President Obama was born in Hawaii.

A violin has strings.

Notice that none of these statements contain value judgments.

Objectivity only deals in facts and facts cannot be influenced by one's lack of experience or one's wealth of experience, so that is irrelevant.

GreySeal9

Accurate criticism is not easy just like good musicianship isn't easy. You wouldn't expect an inexperienced musician to create a masterpiece, and it also doesn't make sense to expect an inexperienced critic to be able to effectively criticize the work or otherwise talk about it in any meaningful capacity.

And yeah...you can tell me that a violin has strings, but I might not agree with you if I am so vastly inexperienced that I don't know what a violin is. Objective fact or not, I could still disagree with you and I'd simply be WRONG.

You would be wrong because it is fact that a violin has six strings. The violin will still have six strings regardless of either of our experience.

I never said that an inexperience person is an accurate critic. Where are you getting that from? I simply said that quality is not objective, which is isn't because it contains value judgments. To judge quality, one must opine. Period.

uh you'd be wrong, violins have 4 strings

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 GreySeal9

I have to get up for work in less than five hours so I'm calling it a night. I will say that the more experience one has with music the more objective one is about it. Otherwise all that one has is subjective opinion without knowing what makes music good. The two are not the same. Happy listening....LJS9502_basic

What makes something good=opinion.

Objectivity only deals in facts. It can't deal in value judgments. "Good" is a value judgment.

What in the world is so difficult to understand about that?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

GreySeal9

And the better band can still be the better band regardless of either person's experience. One's experience merely helps them to recognize how good or bad the band is.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

z4twenny

They CAN have 6. They can even have 8 :|
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

MrGeezer

And the better band can still be the better band regardless of either person's experience. One's experience merely helps them to recognize how good or bad the band is.

Which band is "better" is a subjective judgment. If you disagree, prove to me that one band is better than other without inserting your opinion whatsoever.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 z4twenny

[QUOTE="z4twenny"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Nibroc420

sure they could have 16 if they really really wanted to, but generally speaking they have 4

and for what its worth the 8 strings just have doubles of the 4 notes to make a thicker sound.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="z4twenny"]

z4twenny

sure they could have 16 if they really really wanted to, but generally speaking they have 4

Depends who you ask i suppose.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

z4twenny

Violins can have six strings, but you can amend my statement to:

You would be wrong because it is fact that it has four strings. The violin will have four strings regardless of our experience.

My point is that facts simply are and cannot change based on experience.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Nibroc420

I enjoy my steak rare, although in some people's eyes that's undercooked. A good, quality rare steak. Mmmm *Goes to cook steak*

That's a good example that shows how laugjably wrong LJ is.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 z4twenny

[QUOTE="z4twenny"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] They CAN have 6. They can even have 8 :|Nibroc420

concert violinists

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="z4twenny"]

z4twenny

concert violinists

Are you saying all concert violinists only use 4 string violins? None of them require the usage of the extra 2-4 strings? Not sure if you're serious.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="poptart"]

Technical ability is perhaps objective, however it shouldn't be used as a measure of quality as it rarely has little bearing on why we like or dislike a particular song or band. The ability to convey a message or write a song is a talent distinct from how accomplished a musician may be, and that intangible sense of enjoyment we get from something which may really on the surface be quite kitsch, is something we cannot objectively measure, but it's the measure most people would use (removing of course all notions of social conformity, peer pressure, etc.)

poptart

It depends.

Technical ability could only be captured in an objective way if I was stated this way:

Guitar Player A can play more chords than Player B.

But if one tried to talk about how "good" or "talented" the players were, then it would revert back to subjectivity.

Versatility, capacity to sight read - there are various measures we can use to adjudge technical ability. If talent is simply the measure of how good a person can potentially be, then yes you're correct that's subjective. But there's a reason why there are different grades we reach when we learn music, each denoting a higher level of playing ability - it's an objective a measure as you can get really..

It's still not much of an objective measure because it involves standards, which have inherent subjectiveness.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#217 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="poptart"]

Technical ability is perhaps objective, however it shouldn't be used as a measure of quality as it rarely has little bearing on why we like or dislike a particular song or band. The ability to convey a message or write a song is a talent distinct from how accomplished a musician may be, and that intangible sense of enjoyment we get from something which may really on the surface be quite kitsch, is something we cannot objectively measure, but it's the measure most people would use (removing of course all notions of social conformity, peer pressure, etc.)

poptart

It depends.

Technical ability could only be captured in an objective way if I was stated this way:

But if one tried to talk about how "good" or "talented" the players were, then it would revert back to subjectivity.

Versatility, capacity to sight read - there are various measures we can use to adjudge technical ability. If talent is simply the measure of how good a person can potentially be, then yes you're correct that's subjective. But there's a reason why there are different grades we reach when we learn music, each denoting a higher level of playing ability - it's an objective a measure as you can get really..

I think the problem here is that when greyseal (or anyone) supports that something is subjective most of us will immediately assume the level of subjectivity which renders any opinion useless or is based on nothing factual.

Of course thats not necessarily the case.

Not that its done to confuse the person we are talking to and to give our position momentum, but subconsciously "subjective" is perceived mostly negatively and I think that attests to what I said.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 MrGeezer

Violins can have six strings, but you can amend my statement to:

You would be wrong because it is fact that it has four strings. The violin will have four strings regardless of our experience.

My point is that facts simply are and cannot change based on experience.

GreySeal9

And the band's skill/talent/quality doesn't change based on experience either. All that changes is the listener's perception of what is there.

But the music is the exact same.

If one person listens to the new Radiohead album and loves it, and then another person listens to the same album and hates it, then the quality of the album did not change. It's the exact same material (and for the sake of argument, assume that it was heard in the exact same location using the exact same equipment with the exact same settings).

One's experience with music DOESN'T change the quality of the music. What experience changes is the listener's ability to DETECT the quality of the music. But the artist is still gonna have the same talent and the same skill. Someone doesn't automatically become a less-skilled guitarist as soon as someone tells him that he sucks.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="poptart"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

It depends.

Teenaged

I think the problem here is that when greyseal (or anyone) supports that something is subjective most of us will immediately assume the level of subjectivity which renders any opinion useless.

Not that its done to confuse the person we are talking to and to give our position momentum, but subconsciously "subjective" is perceived mostly negatively and I think that attests to what I said.

Subjective means that the statement is not just fact, but opinion too. Opinions change from person to person. So subjective statements are not facts.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="poptart"]

Nibroc420

I think the problem here is that when greyseal (or anyone) supports that something is subjective most of us will immediately assume the level of subjectivity which renders any opinion useless.

Subjective means that the statement is not just fact, but opinion too. Opinions change from person to person. So subjective statements are not facts.

Wait, do you agree with me or disagree with me?

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
My taste is resonable because i don't limit myself to one genre/nation or whatever happens to be popular. I have definite distastes but i don't think you can call what i like a taste as it's too broad, there arn't really any common factors between YUI, Amon Amarth and NIN.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 GreySeal9

And the band's skill/talent/quality doesn't change based on experience either. All that changes is the listener's perception of what is there.

But the music is the exact same.

If one person listens to the new Radiohead album and loves it, and then another person listens to the same album and hates it, then the quality of the album did not change. It's the exact same material (and for the sake of argument, assume that it was heard in the exact same location using the exact same equipment with the exact same settings).

One's experience with music DOESN'T change the quality of the music. What experience changes is the listener's ability to DETECT the quality of the music. But the artist is still gonna have the same talent and the same skill. Someone doesn't automatically become a less-skilled guitarist as soon as someone tells him that he sucks.

MrGeezer

Quality is not set is stone because it is not a concrete object. What I think constitutes quality, you might think does not constitute quality. Quality can only take form when one thinks something is quality. Outside of that, quality does not exist.

Skill and talent is based on standards, which have inherent subjectivity in them.

Again, objectivity can only deal in the cold and hard fact.

Like I told LJ, it is a fact that Radiohead's third album is called OK Computer. It is an opinion that their music is quality because I have to judge whether their music is quality. However, I don't judge whether their 3rd album is OK Computer. It is simply is.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 markop2003
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Subjective means that the statement is not just fact, but opinion too. Opinions change from person to person. So subjective statements are not facts.

Exactly but when most people say that something's subjective then they mean to debase someone's entire argument on the grounds that none of it is fact.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Subjective means that the statement is not just fact, but opinion too. Opinions change from person to person. So subjective statements are not facts.markop2003
Exactly but when most people say that something's subjective then they mean to debase someone's entire argument on the grounds that none of it is fact.

This is not always true. It depends on the person you're arguing with.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="markop2003"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Subjective means that the statement is not just fact, but opinion too. Opinions change from person to person. So subjective statements are not facts.

You cannot argue subjective statements though "Justin Bieber has more talent than Queen" Is my opinion (it really isn't) and in that sense, the statement is true. However you may think the opposite. As Greyseal has pointed out, Quality is subjective. I believe Talent is as well.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
I don't necessarily think that my taste in music is better than people, but I do believe its unique. I often like niche music, like I don't favor bands or artists (except for royksopp). Instead, I like pieces of music from different places. Like I love this song from that movie, and that song from that anime, this Japanese song from that artist....etc And in general, for a piece of music to entertain me, it has to be unique with a strong contrast and some kind of other worldy feeling to it.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="markop2003"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Subjective means that the statement is not just fact, but opinion too. Opinions change from person to person. So subjective statements are not facts.Nibroc420

You cannot argue subjective statements though "Justin Bieber has more talent than Queen" Is my opinion (it really isn't) and in that sense, the statement is true. However you may think the opposite. As Greyseal has pointed out, Quality is subjective. I believe Talent is as well.

You'd be right about that.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
A subjective vs. objective argument? I love these.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 GreySeal9

A subjective vs. objective argument? I love these. LZ71

Personally, they depress me because it shouldn't be an argument.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
A subjective vs. objective argument? I love these. LZ71
how so?
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="LZ71"]A subjective vs. objective argument? I love these. GreySeal9

Personally, they depress me.

They're more frustrating than depressing PS. That is a fact, you cannot argue it.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LZ71"]A subjective vs. objective argument? I love these. Nibroc420

Personally, they depress me.

They're more frustrating than depressing PS. That is a fact, you cannot argue it.

:lol:

They're both frustrating and depressing.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

how so?GazaAli
I'm kidding. They really make me just want to break out my OT facepalm picture and just spam it over and over.

[QUOTE="LZ71"]A subjective vs. objective argument? I love these. GreySeal9

Personally, they depress me because it shouldn't be an argument.

If there's one thing I've learned in OT, it's that everything can and will be argued, no matter if it should be or not.

DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#234 DmadFearmonger
Member since 2009 • 5169 Posts

'cause I listen to talented musicians that the simple cannot dream to comprahend. I pity them. But I'll let them rot listening whatever bullcrap they might enjoy

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 MrGeezer

Quality is not set is stone because it is not a concrete object. What I think constitutes quality, you might think does not constitute quality. Quality can only take form when one thinks something is quality. Outside of that, quality does not exist.

Skill and talent is based on standards, which have inherent subjectivity in them.

Like I told LJ, it is a fact that Radiohead's third album is called OK Computer. It is an opinion that their music is quality because I have to judge whether their music is quality. However, I don't judge whether their 3rd album is OK Computer. It is simply is.

GreySeal9

So basically, you are saying that a work of art CHANGES (in a non-quantum sense) depending on who is listening to it or looking at it? Is that what you are saying?

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 markop2003
[QUOTE="z4twenny"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Depends who you ask i suppose.Nibroc420

concert violinists

Are you saying all concert violinists only use 4 string violins? None of them require the usage of the extra 2-4 strings? Not sure if you're serious.

You can get them but they aren't used in regular classical. Sometimes they appear in folk and experimental stuff but not in a symphony.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

MrGeezer

So basically, you are saying that a work of art CHANGES (in a non-quantum sense) depending on who is listening to it or looking at it? Is that what you are saying?

Think of it like this. Someone thinks that a giant can of soup is "art" I do not. Quality is subjective.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

MrGeezer

The work of art itself? No. That is a concrete object.

But the quality of the work of art is not a concrete object. The notion of quality only exists because one thinks something is quality. It is a judgment.

For instance, if you say that Justin Beiber makes quality music and I disagree, how you could prove me wrong without stating your opinion?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 Teenaged

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

MrGeezer

Both of you use different definitions of "quality". You seem to use: 1) a distinctive attribute or characteristic possessed by someone or something While greyseal is using: 2) the standard of something as measured against other things of a similar kind; the degree of excellence of something srs
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 MrGeezer

You cannot argue subjective statements though "Justin Bieber has more talent than Queen" Is my opinion (it really isn't) and in that sense, the statement is true. However you may think the opposite. As Greyseal has pointed out, Quality is subjective. I believe Talent is as well.Nibroc420

So what you're saying is that literally NOTHING is "bad", and that literally NOTHING is "good".

I'd like you to spell that out for me very clearly. Because it seems to me that that's a necessary consequence of the idea that all subjective opinions carry equal weight.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 GreySeal9

If there's one thing I've learned in OT, it's that everything can and will be argued, no matter if it should be or not.

LZ71

*gets more depressed*

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 GreySeal9

'cause I listen to talented musicians that the simple cannot dream to comprahend. I pity them. But I'll let them rot listening whatever bullcrap they might enjoy

DmadFearmonger

Wow. :lol:

Music is not that serious man.

DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 DmadFearmonger

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] You cannot argue subjective statements though "Justin Bieber has more talent than Queen" Is my opinion (it really isn't) and in that sense, the statement is true. However you may think the opposite. As Greyseal has pointed out, Quality is subjective. I believe Talent is as well.MrGeezer

I guess that means this song's actually good then.

I'm sorry mate, I'm sorry. But quality is not ALWAYS sunjective and there IS bad music

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 markop2003
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Think of it like this. Someone thinks that a giant can of soup is "art" I do not. Quality is subjective.

You're using a diiferent definition of 'quality'. Take the audiophilles definition "accurate replication of the original" and his argument makes perfect sense. Logically if you have two people in a room listening to a piece of music it dosn't simultaneously have two different qualities, it has one quality but each listener has their own experiance with the music subject to their taste. In the same way if two people travel in a car at 60mph one could call it fast and the other could call it slow, those are subjective statements, but the car would still be traveling at 60mph for both of them, the property of the car dosn't change depending on the person driving it.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] You cannot argue subjective statements though "Justin Bieber has more talent than Queen" Is my opinion (it really isn't) and in that sense, the statement is true. However you may think the opposite. As Greyseal has pointed out, Quality is subjective. I believe Talent is as well.MrGeezer

So what you're saying is that literally NOTHING is "bad", and that literally NOTHING is "good".

I'd like you to spell that out for me very clearly. Because it seems to me that that's a necessary consequence of the idea that all subjective opinions carry equal weight.

It's not that nothing is "bad" and that nothing is "good."

It's just that people have differing ideas of what's "good" and "bad".

If you think that something can be objectively good, you have to be able to prove it using only cold hard facts and no value judgments. Do you think you could do that?

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#246 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
I don't think I do. Then again, I'm not some pretentious hipster douchebag.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 GreySeal9

I'm sorry mate, I'm sorry. But quality is not ALWAYS sunjective and there IS bad musicDmadFearmonger

But it is bad music in your opinion, making it subjective.

If someone did like that song, can you prove to them that it is bad using only facts?

If you can't, then the song can't be objectively bad.

DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 DmadFearmonger

[QUOTE="DmadFearmonger"]

GreySeal9

I feel like I've done this before. o.0
DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 DmadFearmonger

[QUOTE="DmadFearmonger"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] You cannot argue subjective statements though "Justin Bieber has more talent than Queen" Is my opinion (it really isn't) and in that sense, the statement is true. However you may think the opposite. As Greyseal has pointed out, Quality is subjective. I believe Talent is as well.GreySeal9

I'm sorry mate, I'm sorry. But quality is not ALWAYS sunjective and there IS bad music

But it is bad music in your opinion, making it subjective.

If someone did like that song, can you prove to them that it is bad using only facts?

If you can't, then the song can't be objectively bad.

Well, they don't know how to play, write or sing. I DARE YOU to find someone who likes that song
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="DmadFearmonger"]

DmadFearmonger

I feel like I've done this before. o.0

I bet you have. :lol: