"My taste in music is better than yours"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#501 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Here's a conclusion to a paper titles How Can We Objectively rank and rate Musicianship....

Conclusion Musicality is the greatest variable when evaluating music performance at the highest level. Most groups can achieve technically proficient performances. The value put on the demand of the literature being played, the context of the performance, and the expressive and stylistic qualities – the musicality – can make one performance better than another. Assessing musicality is ultimately an aesthetic judgment on the part of the evaluator and is at least partly intellectual and interpretative. By creating rating scales and systems that serve to enhance the understanding of the criteria for the evaluators and the participants in the assessment process, musicianship can be quantified fairly and objectively.

LJS9502_basic

Nowhere did that passage say anything about objectivity.

The terms "value put on" and "aesthetic judgment" point to subjectivitity.

The realm of the objective exists independently of what "value" one puts on something.

chrisPperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#502 chrisPperson
Member since 2008 • 1393 Posts

Here's a conclusion to a paper titles How Can We Objectively rank and rate Musicianship....

Conclusion Musicality is the greatest variable when evaluating music performance at the highest level. Most groups can achieve technically proficient performances. The value put on the demand of the literature being played, the context of the performance, and the expressive and stylistic qualities – the musicality – can make one performance better than another. Assessing musicality is ultimately an aesthetic judgment on the part of the evaluator and is at least partly intellectual and interpretative. By creating rating scales and systems that serve to enhance the understanding of the criteria for the evaluators and the participants in the assessment process, musicianship can be quantified fairly and objectively.

LJS9502_basic

Just because it is outfitted formally with big words does not make it correct.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#503 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

chrisPperson

And really, he should link us to the essay so we can see where we got it since the other source was not peer-reviewed and didn't offer proper citations.

And that passage doesn't really say anything about objectivity.

It even says "interpretative", which automatically points to subjectivity.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#504 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Nibroc420

A paper someone wrote.
Where they give their opinion on a topic.

Awesome, that MUST be objective :roll:

Considering two of you in here are pushing your opinions as fact.....I don't see any problem with different studies/opinion/research that law out the ground work. Something neither your nor Grey have done. You both just keep stating an opinion. It is objective...by the way and it does mention that one has to take subjectivity out when considering objectively how music works. As I recall you used popularity as a measure of good. In fact...you called William Hung talented for that reason.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#505 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

LJS9502_basic

A paper someone wrote.

Considering two of you in here are pushing your opinions as fact.....I don't see any problem with different studies/opinion/research that law out the ground work. Something neither your nor Grey have done. You both just keep stating an opinion. It is objective...by the way and it does mention that one has to take subjectivity out when considering objectively how music works. As I recall you used popularity as a measure of good. In fact...you called William Hung talented for that reason.

It's pretty ironic for you to accuse me of pushing opinions as fact and then claim that one can objectively say that music is "good" or bad". That is the opitome of pushing opinions as fact.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#506 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

chrisPperson

Just because someone doesn't deconstruct what they listen to doesn't make them correct either. It appears some people project how they evaluate music onto others and cannot conceive that someone can step back from what they like and objectively critique music. And therein lies the problem and why agreement won't be met. Experience is important. And now I'm done going round and round about this. Talk to professionals.....they even critique themselves let alone other music. And no..critique does not mean what they like vs what they don't.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#507 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="chrisPperson"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

LJS9502_basic

Just because someone doesn't deconstruct what they listen to doesn't make them correct either. It appears some people project how they evaluate music onto others and cannot conceive that someone can step back from what they like and objectively critique music. And therein lies the problem and while agreement won't be met. Experience is important. And now I'm done going round and round about this. Talk to professionals.....they even critique themselves let alone other music. And no..critique does not mean what they live vs what they don't.

One cannot objectively critique music unless they don't use any judgments. They can have an informed opinion, but judgments neccesarily introduce subjectivity into equation. Objectivity is mind-independent and a critique is mind-depenent.

When they say "this is good piece", that is automatically an opinion.

I never told you how I evaluate music.

Also, the things I like, I consider to be quality. I like music in part because it's quality.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#508 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

LJS9502_basic

A paper someone wrote.

As a measure of TALENT.

As in, if someone is popular, they're clearly talented in some regard. Even if YOU think William Hung is a bad singer, does not make it so. Clearly William Hung made money off his singing, so in some regards he does have a talent.

I've yet to try and state my opinion as a fact. I've stated the definitions of words, and explained to you why what you're saying is wrong. I'm not "forcing" opinions on anyone. I'm using the definitions of Objective and Subjective to try to explain that no-one can have an Objective opinion music.
Music is an art. Art is defined as a something created by someone as a creative way to express feelings or emotions. People cannot say it is "Good" or "Bad" Objectively, because those words are values that indicate the insertion of your opinion into a matter, making it Subjective, and not Objective.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#509 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="chrisPperson"] Just because it is outfitted formally with big words does not make it correct.

GreySeal9

Just because someone doesn't deconstruct what they listen to doesn't make them correct either. It appears some people project how they evaluate music onto others and cannot conceive that someone can step back from what they like and objectively critique music. And therein lies the problem and while agreement won't be met. Experience is important. And now I'm done going round and round about this. Talk to professionals.....they even critique themselves let alone other music. And no..critique does not mean what they live vs what they don't.

One cannot objectively critique music unless they don't use any judgments. They can have an informed opinion, but judgments neccesarily introduce subjectivity into equation. Objectivity is mind-independent and a critique is mind-depenent.

Also, the things I like, I consider to be quality. I like music in part because it's quality.

:D he's gone
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#510 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Just because someone doesn't deconstruct what they listen to doesn't make them correct either. It appears some people project how they evaluate music onto others and cannot conceive that someone can step back from what they like and objectively critique music. And therein lies the problem and while agreement won't be met. Experience is important. And now I'm done going round and round about this. Talk to professionals.....they even critique themselves let alone other music. And no..critique does not mean what they live vs what they don't.Nibroc420

:D he's gone

IF that turns out to be the case, it's just as well. I'm finally getting tired of this thread.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#511 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I think it's silly to say any music is bad... Depends on who you are and what you like to listen to.Aquat1cF1sh

That's a slap in the face to anyone who ever takes the time and effort to become skilled at making music.

Is it silly to call your car mechanic bad when he ruins your transmission because he doesn't know what the **** he is doing? Is it silly to call your surgeon bad when he accidentally leaves a scalpel inside your torso after performing surgery on you? Now, there's probably SOMEONE out there who got sewed up with medical instruments inside him, and still liked the doctor because he/she was just really nice. But what you're essentially saying is that it's silly to call ANYTHING bad, since it is possible to form an objective opinion about ANYTHING. By your standards, it'd be "silly" to say that even genocide is bad. I'm sure that someone really liked Adolf Hitler and thought that he was just a totally decent guy.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#512 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Aquat1cF1sh"]I think it's silly to say any music is bad... Depends on who you are and what you like to listen to.MrGeezer

That's a slap in the face to anyone who ever takes the time and effort to become skilled at making music.

Is it silly to call your car mechanic bad when he ruins your transmission because he doesn't know what the **** he is doing? Is it silly to call your surgeon bad when he accidentally leaves a scalpel inside your torso after performing surgery on you? Now, there's probably SOMEONE out there who got sewed up with medical instruments inside him, and still liked the doctor because he/she was just really nice. But what you're essentially saying is that it's silly to call ANYTHING bad, since it is possible to form an objective opinion about ANYTHING. By your standards, it'd be "silly" to say that even genocide is bad. I'm sure that someone really liked Adolf Hitler and thought that he was just a totally decent guy.

Music is an art that some people appreciate and some dont. Some people like Opera, some dont. No-one likes having a scalpel inside them, they're sharp, and chances are they're going to cut you and cause internal bleeding. Now someone who might be suicidal might think that a scalpel being inside them is the most awesome thing ever, However most people wont. It's not "silly" to be thankful for not dying in a car accident. However it is "silly" to tell someone that "Opera is stupid" just because you might not like it.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#513 GreySeal9

That's a slap in the face to anyone who ever takes the time and effort to become skilled at making music.MrGeezer

I don't agree that it's silly to call anything bad (after all, I have my own opinions on what is good and bad), but it's only a slap in the face if a musician chooses to take it that way.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#514 MrGeezer

Music is an art that some people appreciate and some dont. Some people like Opera, some dont. No-one likes having a scalpel inside them, they're sharp, and chances are they're going to cut you and cause internal bleeding. Now someone who might be suicidal might think that a scalpel being inside them is the most awesome thing ever, However most people wont. It's not "silly" to be thankful for not dying in a car accident. However it is "silly" to tell someone that "Opera is stupid" just because you might not like it.Nibroc420

Some people like to swallow freaking nails. People absolutely have died or come near death as a result of swallowing massive amounts of sharp metal objects.

Some people DO like having sharp metal objects inside of them. You're saying that it's NOT silly to call that "bad", since YOU don't like it.

Yes, some people like opera and some people don't. Some people like excruciating pain and some people don't. If the reason why calling opera "bad" is silly is due to the fact that some people out there like it, then it also becomes silly to call ANYTHING "bad". Since, somewhere out there, there's guaranteed to be someone out there who likes that outcome.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#515 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

Music is an art that some people appreciate and some dont. Some people like Opera, some dont. No-one likes having a scalpel inside them, they're sharp, and chances are they're going to cut you and cause internal bleeding. Now someone who might be suicidal might think that a scalpel being inside them is the most awesome thing ever, However most people wont. It's not "silly" to be thankful for not dying in a car accident. However it is "silly" to tell someone that "Opera is stupid" just because you might not like it.MrGeezer

Some people like to swallow freaking nails. People absolutely have died or come near death as a result of swallowing massive amounts of sharp metal objects.

Some people DO like having sharp metal objects inside of them. You're saying that it's NOT silly to call that "bad", since YOU don't like it.

Yes, some people like opera and some people don't. Some people like excruciating pain and some people don't. If the reason why calling opera "bad" is silly is due to the fact that some people out there like it, then it also becomes silly to call ANYTHING "bad". Since, somewhere out there, there's guaranteed to be someone out there who likes that outcome.

Not because I do not like it. But because there are things society has agreed upon as being ok, and other things that we've agreed are not ok. Murdering people is not "Good" because society has agreed it's not right to kill others in cold blood. However in War it's ok? Why? Because they're enemies, and that is the cost of war, society as a whole has given the ok to killing someone in defense of yourself, or in the case of war, the defense of your nation and family. It's not silly to say that having a scalpel inside you is "bad" because most people would agree that it is bad. Maybe 400 years from now, we'll all think having a scalpel sewn up inside of you is "Cool" and that would change society's outlook from "bad" to "good" 200 years ago being gay was "Bad", because people thought it was strange to be attracted to members of the same sex. That clearly isn't the same outlook society has today. Art is a different matter altogether. Some people enjoy it and some people dont, everyone has slightly differing opinions on each work of art. Everyone has different reasons as to why they like X song, but not Y song. Some people dont like X song, but they do like Y song, all for entirely different reasons. This is why it's silly to call someone's art "bad" simply because you dislike it. Please stop comparing things that people have differing opinions on (such as art or music) to things that we as a society have deemed are "ok" and "normal"
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#516 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

Music is an art that some people appreciate and some dont. Some people like Opera, some dont. No-one likes having a scalpel inside them, they're sharp, and chances are they're going to cut you and cause internal bleeding. Now someone who might be suicidal might think that a scalpel being inside them is the most awesome thing ever, However most people wont. It's not "silly" to be thankful for not dying in a car accident. However it is "silly" to tell someone that "Opera is stupid" just because you might not like it.Nibroc420

Not because I do not like it. But because there are things society has agreed upon as being ok, and other things that we've agreed are not ok. Murdering people is not "Good" because society has agreed it's not right to kill others in cold blood. However in War it's ok? Why? Because they're enemies, and that is the cost of war, society as a whole has given the ok to killing someone in defense of yourself, or in the case of war, the defense of your nation and family. It's not silly to say that having a scalpel inside you is "bad" because most people would agree that it is bad. Maybe 400 years from now, we'll all think having a scalpel sewn up inside of you is "Cool" and that would change society's outlook from "bad" to "good" 200 years ago being gay was "Bad", because people thought it was strange to be attracted to members of the same sex. That clearly isn't the same outlook society has today. Art is a different matter altogether. Some people enjoy it and some people dont, everyone has slightly differing opinions on each work of art. Everyone has different reasons as to why they like X song, but not Y song. Some people dont like X song, but they do like Y song, all for entirely different reasons. This is why it's silly to call someone's art "bad" simply because you dislike it. Please stop comparing things that people have differing opinions on (such as art or music) to things that we as a society have deemed are "ok" and "normal"

So...standards don't exist in art?

I see a double standard going on here. You seem to be saying that a mechanic can reasonably be called bad because his work is far below society's acceptable standards. Yet, someone who is completely IGNORANT about any of society's standards about art can't be deemed to have bad taste since his sole personal opinion trumps everything else.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#517 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

So...standards don't exist in art?

I see a double standard going on here. You seem to be saying that a mechanic can reasonably be called bad because his work is far below society's acceptable standards. Yet, someone who is completely IGNORANT about any of society's standards about art can't be deemed to have bad taste since his sole personal opinion trumps everything else.

You're comparing quality of a job done, to the quality of Art.

If i wanted my house painted, and hired a painter. And said painter forgets to prime the walls before painting, or paints in such a way that causes the coats to not be even. That would not be quality work on his part, as people expect a certain level of quality when hiring a professional to do a job.

Art is expression of one's emotions through creativity. Even something as simplistic as a giant can of soup may be stupid to me, but to some people it's "deep" and as such even though i may view it as bad, doesn't make it bad.
In my Opinion it would be bad, however it is still art, people still enjoy it, they still get the message that the piece of art was trying to convey, and as such it's not "bad"

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#518 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts

This thread man...

zdvxv

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#519 MrGeezer

If i wanted my house painted, and hired a painter. And said painter forgets to prime the walls before painting, or paints in such a way that causes the coats to not be even. That would not be quality work on his part, as people expect a certain level of quality when hiring a professional to do a job.

Art is expression of one's emotions through creativity. Even something as simplistic as a giant can of soup may be stupid to me, but to some people it's "deep" and as such even though i may view it as bad, doesn't make it bad.
In my Opinion it would be bad, however it is still art, people still enjoy it, they still get the message that the piece of art was trying to convey, and as such it's not "bad"

Nibroc420

Art is work. Mechanical repairs are work.

INTENT is still present in both cases. The person does x as a means of achieving y.

You might hire a painter, and you might not WANT the coats to be even. Having uneven coats might be the single and ONLY thing you demand out of the paint job.

Now...who's the better painter. The one who only does uneven coats because that's all he can do, or the one who only does uneven coats because that's specifically what you hired him to do?

In both cases, the work is the same. You wanted a bad paint job, both painters gave you exactly what you wanted. If one is "better" than the other simply because they were doing a "job" instead of "art", then which one is the better painter? And furthermore, how can you state that he is the better painter when they BOTH did the same exact job?

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#520 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

This thread man...

zdvxv

Dylan_11

It's a war of attrition brother.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#521 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

MrGeezer

Art is work. Mechanical repairs are work.

INTENT is still present in both cases. The person does x as a means of achieving y.

You might hire a painter, and you might not WANT the coats to be even. Having uneven coats might be the single and ONLY thing you demand out of the paint job.

Now...who's the better painter. The one who only does uneven coats because that's all he can do, or the one who only does uneven coats because that's specifically what you hired him to do?

In both cases, the work is the same. You wanted a bad paint job, both painters gave you exactly what you wanted. If one is "better" than the other simply because they were doing a "job" instead of "art", then which one is the better painter? And furthermore, how can you state that he is the better painter when they BOTH did the same exact job?

:roll: I'm not sure you're even being serious at this point.

If i take a car to a mechanic, and say "hey bro, replace my brake pads" it's clearly stated what i want, and he'll quote me a price, and then proceed to do his job. If he were to not replace my brakes, thats him not doing his job. If he were to replace my brakes with already worn brakes he took off someone else's car, he'd simply be taking advantage of me, despite me not specifying that i wanted new brake pads, and not just having them replaced with old un-usable ones.

Artists create something, be it a painting, or a song, or a sculpture. Their "Art" usually has a meaning behind it, or they might just feel it looks really pretty. No matter how YOU interpret the art, so long as the Artist feels his/her art conveys the emotions they intended, their art is "good". This does not necessarily mean anyone else has to like it, it just means that they've created their art in a way that reflects the emotions they put into it.

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#522 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

this thread is still going on? Wow...it seems to be stuck in an infinite loop, someone needs to make a loop counter. :P

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#523 MrGeezer

:roll: I'm not sure you're even being serious at this point.

If i take a car to a mechanic, and say "hey bro, replace my brake pads" it's clearly stated what i want, and he'll quote me a price, and then proceed to do his job. If he were to not replace my brakes, thats him not doing his job. If he were to replace my brakes with already worn brakes he took off someone else's car, he'd simply be taking advantage of me, despite me not specifying that i wanted new brake pads, and not just having them replaced with old un-usable ones.

Artists create something, be it a painting, or a song, or a sculpture. Their "Art" usually has a meaning behind it, or they might just feel it looks really pretty. No matter how YOU interpret the art, so long as the Artist feels his/her art conveys the emotions they intended, their art is "good". This does not necessarily mean anyone else has to like it, it just means that they've created their art in a way that reflects the emotions they put into it.

Nibroc420

Gotta disagree with you in a big way here.

Art is WORTHLESS to anyone but the artist unless it is providing something desireable to someone other than the artist. They can make paintings and put them in a box, never to be seen again. If they DON'T do that, and choose to make it available to a larger audience, then it ceases to depend solely on the standards of the artist, and becomes subject to the standards of society.

I could call my freaking diary "art" if I want to. If I treat it like just any old personal diary and never show it to anyone, then the question of how good or bad it is becomes completely irrelevant. However, if I decide to call it "art" and stick it up on display for everyone to see, then that's the precise moment when it becomes subject to society's standards.

And that's the thing...when people show their "art" to a larger audience, it is almost ALWAYS a deliberate decision for thenm to gain an audience. If at that point the "art" doesn't conform to society's standards for what art should be, then it's bad art. Same way that a car mechanic does bad repair work when he gets a job and screws up your transmission. He could've spent his entire life ruining cars in private just for the hell of it, and good/bad never would have been an issue since he was isolated from society's standards.

Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#524 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

this thread is still going on? Wow...it seems to be stuck in an infinite loop, someone needs to make a loop counter. :P

iloverikku11

a good old fashoned lock would suffice... this thread stopped being funny 15 pages ago...

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#525 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] :roll: I'm not sure you're even being serious at this point.

MrGeezer

Art is WORTHLESS to anyone but the artist unless it is providing something desireable to someone other than the artist. They can make paintings and put them in a box, never to be seen again. If they DON'T do that, and choose to make it available to a larger audience, then it ceases to depend solely on the standards of the artist, and becomes subject to the standards of society.

I could call my freaking diary "art" if I want to. If I treat it like just any old personal diary and never show it to anyone, then the question of how good or bad it is becomes completely irrelevant. However, if I decide to call it "art" and stick it up on display for everyone to see, then that's the precise moment when it becomes subject to society's standards.

And that's the thing...when people show their "art" to a larger audience, it is almost ALWAYS a deliberate decision for thenm to gain an audience. If at that point the "art" doesn't conform to society's standards for what art should be, then it's bad art. Same way that a car mechanic does bad repair work when he gets a job and screws up your transmission. He could've spent his entire life ruining cars in private just for the hell of it, and good/bad never would have been an issue since he was isolated from society's standards.

The problem is that everyone has a different opinion on what song is good and what song isn't. Everyone has differing opinions on what is good, and why it's good, and so on and so forth.

As such no-one can objectively say "This song is good", and "This song is bad" because "Good" and "Bad" are Subjective, they're reflective of that one person's opinion and no-one else's.

Sure, someone might agree or disagree, but that doesn't matter when we're talking about one person's opinion. Which is why i said that popularity is a great way to judge if a song is "good" or "bad". If a lot of people like the music, then it will be a popular song and the amount of fans will reflect that.

However that doesn't make one person's opinion on a song moot, because everyone likes different genres and songs for different reasons. As such, for one person to try and go "what are you talking about? This is a great song! You must just have terrible taste" is silly.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#526 MrGeezer

The problem is that everyone has a different opinion on what song is good and what song isn't. Everyone has differing opinions on what is good, and why it's good, and so on and so forth.

As such no-one can objectively say "This song is good", and "This song is bad" because "Good" and "Bad" are Subjective, they're reflective of that one person's opinion and no-one else's.

Sure, someone might agree or disagree, but that doesn't matter when we're talking about one person's opinion. Which is why i said that popularity is a great way to judge if a song is "good" or "bad". If a lot of people like the music, then it will be a popular song and the amount of fans will reflect that.

However that doesn't make one person's opinion on a song moot, because everyone likes different genres and songs for different reasons. As such, for one person to try and go "what are you talking about? This is a great song! You must just have terrible taste" is silly.

Nibroc420

Again, no.

The problem with what you're saying is that people are largely IGNORANT.

Most people don't know about art just like most people don't know how to repair their cars. The difference here is that with art, being ignorant very rarely has any consequences. The consequences of acting like all art is equal is that someone might call you uncultured or pretentious. So what? Whereas the consequences of thinking that all repair work is equal is that you might pay thopusands of dollars and end up with someone destroying your car.

It's a lot easier to take refuge in ignorance has virtually no real world consequences whatsoever.

What this means is that everyone and their friends think that their "opinions" are all that matters when it comes down to the quality of art.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#527 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
I m still listening to new genres and new albums/bands so i dont think my taste is better than everyones YET. Altho i think i am on the right track.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#528 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I have rather crap taste in music based on the general consensus. Some of my selections from the past hour include country music and celine dion.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#529 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

iloverikku11

Yea Im surprised too...I seriously regret starting it...

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#530 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

just thought this would be the most fitting picture for this thread.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#531 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33351 Posts
Everyone has their own taste in music. I never really understood why people say their taste it better than other's. I just like what I like and if someone else doesn't like it, then oh well.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#532 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
Superior music taste reporting in. What did I miss?
Jesus_on_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#533 Jesus_on_fire
Member since 2008 • 2022 Posts

I hate people that say that.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#534 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Because I like songs that have meaning in them, whether old or new, and not pointless club music.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#535 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] :roll: I'm not sure you're even being serious at this point.

Nibroc420

Opinions on musical taste....yes they would be different. However, one's preference doesn't change the ovall quality of the music. And that is what is the determining factor as to whether music is good or not. The inherent quality of the product. It's incorrect to assign quality to the preferences of the listener. Their enjoyment in no way diminishes nor enhances the product.

loserbam828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#536 loserbam828
Member since 2005 • 1713 Posts

Music, to me, is all in the eye of the beholder. Everyone perceives everything differently. Why do you think some people might like broccoli, yet some may not? It doesn't make it a bad food, it just makes the perception of another person different. Music is a wonderful thing in a sense that there is something out there to please everyone.

And I also think arguements about opinions of music are the most idiotic things to grace this earth. Search a song on youtube. If you don't see "Justin Bieber" in the comments section, I would be baffled.

chrisPperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#537 chrisPperson
Member since 2008 • 1393 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

LJS9502_basic

Opinions on musical taste....yes they would be different. However, one's preference doesn't change the ovall quality of the music. And that is what is the determining factor as to whether music is good or not. The inherent quality of the product. It's incorrect to assign quality to the preferences of the listener. Their enjoyment in no way diminishes nor enhances the product.

But whether or not music is "quality" is subjective.

Oh never mind, I don't want to start this again :P

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#539 Nibroc420

Their enjoyment in no way diminishes nor enhances the product.

LJS9502_basic

No, but it is the sole qualifier of if it is good, or bad music. I could roll my face across a piano, and if someone enjoyed it, and felt it was quality. Then to them it is. For Quality is a value given based on opinion, and as such is subjective.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#540 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

There's really no such thing considering how music is nowadays.

dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#541 dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts

i don't get why people think that. i once had someone who was a tool fundamentalist quite literally try to force me to like them. and i still don't care for them at all. your taste in music doesn't make you better than someone else. it makes you a different person with different interests.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#542 MrGeezer

But whether or not music is "quality" is subjective.

Oh never mind, I don't want to start this again :P

chrisPperson

I think we've moved a bit beyond that, and established that quality of at least SOME things can for all intents and purposes be considered objective.

A surgeon who accidentally removes your stomach instead of your appendix is indeed a bad doctor. An architect who designs a building that is inherently unstable is a bad architect. A mechanic is a bad mechanic if he can't tell the difference between your brake pads and your starter motor.

The only real question now is why/how MUSIC quality is more subjective than quality in other areas.

gymophett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#543 gymophett
Member since 2010 • 156 Posts

I just feel like the music I listen to is REAL music. But that's just an opinion. It's all just an opinion.