"My taste in music is better than yours"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#451 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

But how do you determine whether an opinion on art is wrong? If someone says, "I think this song is good," how do you objectively prove that it's not a good song?

I do agree with the some of what you're saying. If I wanted an opinion on music, I would probably go to someone who knows something about music. But that doesn't mean their opinions are always more valid, just that they are more likely to be well-supported.

superfluidity

I don't think you can prove someone is wrong in their opinion about music. You could try to persuade them to change their own opinion by providing them with more information that would give them a broader perspective.

I don't disagree with that, but I would say that one should only do that it some situations.

For instance, it wouldn't make sense to change someone's opinion about a song, but it might make sense to change someone's opinion about a genre.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#452 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

I wasn't talking about your own opinion. Obviously.

I was talking about the fact that you didn't seem to realize that "It's a good thing he wasn't harmed" is an opinion, thereby making it reasonable to assume that you're not clear on what an opinion actually is.

chrisPperson

Then you misspoke....it was not an opinion statement as I expressed not my opinion but about the desired outcome...which is part of the definition. And since I posted it...it can be attributed as no one individual''s opinion either.

The "desired outcome" is, by definition, an opinion.

I hope you realize how many times you have contradicted yourself in this thread.

Is it?....as I made the statement in regard solely on humanitarian terms and not personal opinion at all...you would be wrong. Personally...I'm apathetic.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#453 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

I think you would make a good music critic. Your writing is really colorful and you seem to have a good knowledge about music without being rigid about it.

LJS9502_basic

Interesting comment there. Without develving into poptarts future career choices......you do know Grey that a music critic has to separate the subjective from the objective when reviewing....right?

Music reviews are giant opinions.

Many are well-supported and have a bit of factual conctent, but they are filled with subjective judgments and the ultimate conclusion about the peice is subjective.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#454 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="chrisPperson"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Then you misspoke....it was not an opinion statement as I expressed not my opinion but about the desired outcome...which is part of the definition. And since I posted it...it can be attributed as no one individual''s opinion either. LJS9502_basic

I hope you realize how many times you have contradicted yourself in this thread.

Is it?....

West Valley? Might as well be looking to "Devry" or those other silly colleges.
chrisPperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#455 chrisPperson
Member since 2008 • 1393 Posts

[QUOTE="chrisPperson"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Then you misspoke....it was not an opinion statement as I expressed not my opinion but about the desired outcome...which is part of the definition. And since I posted it...it can be attributed as no one individual''s opinion either. LJS9502_basic

Is it?....as I made the statement in regard solely on humanitarian terms and not personal opinion at all...you would be wrong. Personally...I'm apathetic.

I think you may be looking a bit too far into this.
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#456 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

Thats the point?

No-one is wrong, because it's all opinion no-one can be wrong.

Nibroc420

No one's opinion can be proved wrong, but their ability to form an opinion should be judged based on thier knowledge and experience.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#457 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="chrisPperson"]

That link is not peer-reviewed and she doesn't offer citations. This would not pass muster in any academic setting.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#458 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="chrisPperson"] The "desired outcome" is, by definition, an opinion.

chrisPperson

There are two philosophies on subjectivity and objectivity. Too far? You were the one that jumped into my discussion. And desired outcome does not necessitate being an opinion. However, if I read your posts correctly....murder is good, genocide is good, assistance is bad, charity is bad. Because one can certainly skew your basis for good and evil to encompass those ideas.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#459 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

I think you would make a good music critic. Your writing is really colorful and you seem to have a good knowledge about music without being rigid about it.

GreySeal9

Interesting comment there. Without develving into poptarts future career choices......you do know Grey that a music critic has to separate the subjective from the objective when reviewing....right?

Many are well-supported and have a bit of factual conctent, but they are filled with subjective judgments and the ultimate conclusion about the peice is subjective.

They have to be as objective as possible. One can objectively look at music. It's possible that we don't agree on this because you don't do so. But then that would be personal. But to say people don't objectively deconstruct what they are listening to would be flat out wrong.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#460 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="chrisPperson"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Is it?....as I made the statement in regard solely on humanitarian terms and not personal opinion at all...you would be wrong. Personally...I'm apathetic.

LJS9502_basic

There are two philosophies on subjectivity and objectivity. Too far? You were the one that jumped into my discussion. And desired outcome does not necessitate being an opinion. However, if I read your posts correctly....murder is good, genocide is good, assistance is bad, charity is bad. Because one can certainly skew your basis for good and evil to encompass those ideas.

Now you're comparing the views of society to the views of those who dont agree with society. :roll:
You're stretching.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#461 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="chrisPperson"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Is it?....as I made the statement in regard solely on humanitarian terms and not personal opinion at all...you would be wrong. Personally...I'm apathetic.

LJS9502_basic

You never stop putting words into people's mouths, do you? He never said those things. If you insist that he did, post quotes that show that he did say or imply that.

Morality is inherently subjective. It is based on value judgments. What one thinks is moral, another person might not. Not everyboddy thinks charity is a good thing.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#462 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="chrisPperson"] The "desired outcome" is, by definition, an opinion.

GreySeal9

That link is not peer-reviewed and she doesn't offer citations. This would not pass muster in any academic setting.

Neither do your posts. However you can read about philosophy vis a vis objectivity and subjectivity and see BOTH schools of thoughts.
chrisPperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#463 chrisPperson

LJS9502_basic

murder is good, genocide is good, assistance is bad, charity is bad. Because one can certainly skew your basis for good and evil to encompass those ideas.

If that's how you want to interpret my posts, then you are free to do so. I never said any of those things, however, I don't believe any of the opinions which you listed are invalid.

As stated, morality is also subjective.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#464 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="chrisPperson"] I think you may be looking a bit too far into this.GreySeal9

You never stop putting words into people's mouths, do you? He never said those things. If you insist that he did, post quotes that show that he did say or imply that.

Morality is inherently subjective. It is based on value judgments. What one thinks is moral, another person might not. Not everyboddy thinks charity is a good thing.

If there is no objective good nor bad THAT is the outcome. You cannot have it both ways....that is double talking. And I don't fall for that.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#465 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Interesting comment there. Without develving into poptarts future career choices......you do know Grey that a music critic has to separate the subjective from the objective when reviewing....right?

LJS9502_basic

They have to be as objective as possible. One can objectively look at music. It's possible that we don't agree on this because you don't do so. But then that would be personal. But to say people don't objectively deconstruct what they are listening to would be flat out wrong.

You can objectively deconstruct something and describe the parts, but you can't state if it's good or bad and still be objective as those are subjective judgments.

There's no rule saying that they have to be objective as possible. Music reviews are based on what the reviewer "thought" of an album, which is an opinion, which is in turn subjective.

Look at any review. You'll see tons of subjectivity.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#466 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="chrisPperson"] I think you may be looking a bit too far into this.chrisPperson

murder is good, genocide is good, assistance is bad, charity is bad. Because one can certainly skew your basis for good and evil to encompass those ideas.

If that's how you want to interpret my posts, then you are free to do so. I never said any of those things, however, I don't believe any of the opinions which you listed are invalid.

Either there is no universal good or bad...or there is. By stating that using good or bad is only judgment....then you would have to allow those things as correct. If they are not correct then we have an objective good and bad.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#467 LJS9502_basic

GreySeal9

You can objectively deconstruct something and describe the parts, but you can't state if it's good or bad and still be objective as those are subjective judgments.

There's no rule saying that they have to be objective as possible. Music reviews are based on what the reviewer "thought" of an album, which is an opinion, which is in turn subjective.

Then you cannot be a critic.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#468 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] There are two philosophies on subjectivity and objectivity. Too far? You were the one that jumped into my discussion. And desired outcome does not necessitate being an opinion. However, if I read your posts correctly....murder is good, genocide is good, assistance is bad, charity is bad. Because one can certainly skew your basis for good and evil to encompass those ideas.LJS9502_basic

If there is no objective good nor bad THAT is the outcome. You cannot have it both ways....that is double talking. And I don't fall for that.

No, Murder is bad because society has deemed it so. However there are those who think murder can be a good thing. It's still subjective, because it's not a fact.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#469 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] There are two philosophies on subjectivity and objectivity. Too far? You were the one that jumped into my discussion. And desired outcome does not necessitate being an opinion. However, if I read your posts correctly....murder is good, genocide is good, assistance is bad, charity is bad. Because one can certainly skew your basis for good and evil to encompass those ideas.LJS9502_basic

Not at all. He stated no opinion on the matter, so you can't attribute an opinion to him.

Just because I acknowledge that morality is not objective doesn't mean I think murder is not bad.

It would be a prepostorous non-sequitir to suggest that.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#470 LJS9502_basic

Nibroc420

No, Murder is bad because society has deemed it so. However there are those who think murder can be a good thing. It's still subjective, because it's not a fact.

Then music has objective standards because society deemed it so.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#471 LJS9502_basic

GreySeal9

Not at all. He stated no opinion on the matter, so you can't attribute an opinion to him.

Just because I acknowledge that morality is not objective doesn't mean I think murder is not bad.

It would be a prepostorous non-sequitir to suggest that.

I wasn't talking about him.:|

And there is your double standard....and there your music argument falls apart. There is a set of standards in music. That is why it's taught. And practiced. And why some music is respected and some not. Because as a music society they have objective ideals.

chrisPperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#472 chrisPperson
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]murder is good, genocide is good, assistance is bad, charity is bad. Because one can certainly skew your basis for good and evil to encompass those ideas.LJS9502_basic

Either there is no universal good or bad...or there is. By stating that using good or bad is only judgment....then you would have to allow those things as correct. If they are not correct then we have an objective good and bad.

I don't believe any of the opinions which you listed are invalid.

Can I make my stance any clearer?
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#473 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] They have to be as objective as possible. One can objectively look at music. It's possible that we don't agree on this because you don't do so. But then that would be personal. But to say people don't objectively deconstruct what they are listening to would be flat out wrong.LJS9502_basic

Then you cannot be a critic.

First of all, that is just your opinion. There is no rule saying that.

Secondly, it's absurd. There are tons of reviews out there whose reviews are subjective, yet they are still critics that get paid for doing what they do.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#474 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] If there is no objective good nor bad THAT is the outcome. You cannot have it both ways....that is double talking. And I don't fall for that.LJS9502_basic

But society cannot be the judge of art. Art is the artist putting their soul/emotions into a piece of work, so long as the artist feels they conveyed their message correctly, and people enjoy it, it cannot be bad.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#475 LJS9502_basic

] Can I make my stance any clearer?chrisPperson
*sigh* First I never said you said those things. It's called an analogy due to the prevailing attempt at citing good and evil as opinion. You do agree that is the major theme in this thread...right?

chrisPperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#476 chrisPperson

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] If there is no objective good nor bad THAT is the outcome. You cannot have it both ways....that is double talking. And I don't fall for that.LJS9502_basic

At what point does the opinion of the majority become fact?
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#477 GreySeal9

I wasn't talking about him.LJS9502_basic

Yes, you were:

However, if I read your posts correctly....murder is good, genocide is good, assistance is bad, charity is bad.LJ

There is a record of everything we say, so I suggest you don't try to revise this thread's history.

And there is your double standard....and there your music argument falls apart. There is a set of standards in music. That is why it's taught. And practiced. And why some music is respected and some not. Because as a music society they have objective ideals.

LJ

How is it a double standard? Please explain. Should I add double standards to the list of terms you don't know the definition of?

The "standards of music" are subjective. Objectivism can only contain facts and standards are not facts by any definition.

Just beause something is taught and practiced doesn't make it objective. That is a non-sequitir.

Ideals can never be objective. Only facts.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#478 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] No, Murder is bad because society has deemed it so. However there are those who think murder can be a good thing. It's still subjective, because it's not a fact.Nibroc420

But society cannot be the judge of art. Art is the artist putting their soul/emotions into a piece of work, so long as the artist feels they conveyed their message correctly, and people enjoy it, it cannot be bad.

Art is a part of society. Why would you separate it? It does not exist as art if society does not deem it art. I can put my soul and emotion into flicking a paint brush against a canvas. It does not mean it's art. And there may be someone that might say it's wonderful. They might even buy it. Still doesn't really make it art.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#479 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I wasn't talking about him.GreySeal9

Yes, you were:

However, if I read your posts correctly....murder is good, genocide is good, assistance is bad, charity is bad.LJ

There is a record of everything we say, so I suggest you don't try to revise this thread's history.

LJ

How is it a double standard? Please explain.

The "standards of music" are subjective. Objectivism can only contain facts and standards are not facts by any definition.

Just beause something is taught and practiced doesn't make it objective. That is a non-sequitir.

I think you are too hung up on making objective the opposite of subjective and in trying to make it scientific. It is not necessarily either.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#480 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Then music has objective standards because society deemed it so.

LJS9502_basic

Art is a part of society. Why would you separate it? It does not exist as art if society does not deem it art. I can put my soul and emotion into flicking a paint brush against a canvas. It does not mean it's art. And there may be someone that might say it's wonderful. They might even buy it. Still doesn't really make it art.

Actually it would be art.
art noun
/ärt/
Creative activity resulting in the production of paintings, drawings, or sculpture

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#481 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] No, Murder is bad because society has deemed it so. However there are those who think murder can be a good thing. It's still subjective, because it's not a fact.chrisPperson

Objective does not mean only fact. "Objectivity is both a central and elusive philosophical category. While there is no universally accepted articulation of objectivity, a proposition is generally considered to be objectively true when its truth conditions are met and are "mind-independent"-that is, not met by the judgment of a conscious entity or subject." That does not mention fact anywhere...
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#482 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I wasn't talking about him.LJS9502_basic

Yes, you were:

LJ

I think you are too hung up on making objective the opposite of subjective and in trying to make it scientific. It is not necessarily either.

So, explain to me, how can a subjective statement be an objective statement as well. Explain how that works.

Also, it's better be scientific about it than to rely on links that are not peer-reviewed or cited and would never pass muster in any academic setting.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#483 LJS9502_basic

GreySeal9

So, explain to me, how can a subjective statement be an objective statement as well. Explain how that works.

Also, it's better be scientific about it than to rely on links that are not peer-reviewed or cited and would never pass muster in any academic setting.

Philosophy says you are incorrect. And yes...philosophy is listed under science in college.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#484 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="chrisPperson"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Then music has objective standards because society deemed it so.

LJS9502_basic

Objective does not mean only fact. "Objectivity is both a central and elusive philosophical category. While there is no universally accepted articulation of objectivity, a proposition is generally considered to be objectively true when its truth conditions are met and are "mind-independent"-that is, not met by the judgment of a conscious entity or subject." That does not mention fact anywhere...

The phrase "when its truth conditions are met and are mind-independent" means that it is meets the criteria for being a fact.

Facts, after all, have positive truth value and are certainly mind-independent.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#485 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I think you are too hung up on making objective the opposite of subjective and in trying to make it scientific. It is not necessarily either.LJS9502_basic

Philosophy says you are incorrect. And yes...philosophy is listed under science in college.

Prove it.

And it philosophy is a science in that it is a discipline. That doesn't make it scientific.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#486 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="chrisPperson"] At what point does the opinion of the majority become fact?GreySeal9

The phrase "when its truth conditions are met and are mind-independent" means that it is meets the criteria for being a fact.

No. There is a difference between truth and fact in philosophy. :lol:
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#487 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="chrisPperson"] At what point does the opinion of the majority become fact?GreySeal9

+1 Objective : undistorted by emotion or personal bias; based on observable phenomena; "an objective appraisal"; "objective evidence" or emphasizing or expressing things as perceived without distortion of personal feelings, insertion of fictional matter, or interpretation;
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#488 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Objective does not mean only fact. "Objectivity is both a central and elusive philosophical category. While there is no universally accepted articulation of objectivity, a proposition is generally considered to be objectively true when its truth conditions are met and are "mind-independent"-that is, not met by the judgment of a conscious entity or subject." That does not mention fact anywhere...Nibroc420

+1 Objective : undistorted by emotion or personal bias; based on observable phenomena; "an objective appraisal"; "objective evidence" or emphasizing or expressing things as perceived without distortion of personal feelings, insertion of fictional matter, or interpretation;

Philosophy...not dictionary.;)
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#489 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

LJS9502_basic

Facts, not opinions ;)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#490 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] +1 Objective : undistorted by emotion or personal bias; based on observable phenomena; "an objective appraisal"; "objective evidence" or emphasizing or expressing things as perceived without distortion of personal feelings, insertion of fictional matter, or interpretation;Nibroc420

Facts, not opinions ;)

Philosophy is a science. Is science an opinion?
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#491 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Philosophy...not dictionary.;)LJS9502_basic

Facts, not opinions ;)

Philosophies certain have opinions in them.

It is a "science" in that it is a discipline. It is not science in the way that the scientific method is science.

You are making the same mistake that creationists make when they deem evolution a theory in the colloquial sense.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#492 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Objective does not mean only fact. "Objectivity is both a central and elusive philosophical category. While there is no universally accepted articulation of objectivity, a proposition is generally considered to be objectively true when its truth conditions are met and are "mind-independent"-that is, not met by the judgment of a conscious entity or subject." That does not mention fact anywhere...LJS9502_basic

No. There is a difference between truth and fact in philosophy. :lol:

Philosophy is hardly unified.

Secondly, what is the difference?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#493 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Facts, not opinions ;)

GreySeal9

It is a "science" in that it is a discipline. It is not science in the way that the scientific method is science.

Music is also a discipline. As disciplines they have to follow certain rules and not be an opinion only discipline. There has to be objectivity involved.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#494 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Philosophy is a science. Is science an opinion?LJS9502_basic

Music is also a discipline.

I never said it wasn't. But that doesn't make it science in the way that the scientific method is science.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#495 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Philosophy is a science. Is science an opinion?LJS9502_basic

Music is also a discipline. As disciplines they have to follow certain rules and not be an opinion only discipline. There has to be object involved.

You're getting kind of incoherent at this point.

Yes, music involves can involve objects, but judgments of "good" and "bad" are not objects. They are abstract opinions.

If I said, "this piece of music is bad," it is an opinion regardless of music being a discipline.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#496 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Music is also a discipline. As disciplines they have to follow certain rules and not be an opinion only discipline. There has to be object involved.

Yes, music involves can involve objects, but judgments of "good" and "bad" are not objects. They are abstract opinions.

If I said, "this piece of music is bad," it is an opinion regardless of music being a discipline.

I sense a possible troll. This has been going on for too long, and he still doesn't understand the difference between subjective and objective, or what an opinion is.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#497 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Music is also a discipline. As disciplines they have to follow certain rules and not be an opinion only discipline. There has to be object involved.

Nibroc420

I sense a possible troll. This has been going on for too long, and he still doesn't understand the difference between subjective and objective, or what an opinion is.

I think it has more to do with desperately not wanting to be wrong and thus just throwing stuff at the wall in the hope that it will stick.

chrisPperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#498 chrisPperson

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Music does not have to follow any sort of rules. I am a dedicated listener of many avant-garde artists who throw away all pre-conceived notions of what music is supposed to sound like, and I personally love it.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#499 LJS9502_basic

Here's a conclusion to a paper titles How Can We Objectively rank and rate Musicianship....

Conclusion Musicality is the greatest variable when evaluating music performance at the highest level. Most groups can achieve technically proficient performances. The value put on the demand of the literature being played, the context of the performance, and the expressive and stylistic qualities – the musicality – can make one performance better than another. Assessing musicality is ultimately an aesthetic judgment on the part of the evaluator and is at least partly intellectual and interpretative. By creating rating scales and systems that serve to enhance the understanding of the criteria for the evaluators and the participants in the assessment process, musicianship can be quantified fairly and objectively.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#500 Nibroc420

Here's a conclusion to a paper titles How Can We Objectively rank and rate Musicianship....

Conclusion Musicality is the greatest variable when evaluating music performance at the highest level. Most groups can achieve technically proficient performances. The value put on the demand of the literature being played, the context of the performance, and the expressive and stylistic qualities – the musicality – can make one performance better than another. Assessing musicality is ultimately an aesthetic judgment on the part of the evaluator and is at least partly intellectual and interpretative. By creating rating scales and systems that serve to enhance the understanding of the criteria for the evaluators and the participants in the assessment process, musicianship can be quantified fairly and objectively.

LJS9502_basic

A paper someone wrote.
Where they give their opinion on a topic.

Awesome, that MUST be objective :roll: