"My taste in music is better than yours"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
From the Oxford Dictionary. Talent...natural aptitude or skill:LJS9502_basic
Oh well. I guess I was the one confusing natural talent with the one you used.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

You're making the very wrong assumption that everyone knows quality.

LJS9502_basic

You're making the assumption that YOU are the sole judge of quality.

He didn't say that....

He's claiming that fans who like other artists that he doesn't like, don't count because they're idiots who dont know quality music... "You're making the very wrong assumption that everyone knows quality."
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#153 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

With your mindset I don't think you'll accept any proof.LJS9502_basic

But you haven't provided any proof. Proof cannot contain any opinion. Only a statement like "Barack Obama is the 44th President" can be objective. Any judgment of whether something is "good" or "bad" cannot be objective because one might not agree. There is no room or disagreement as to where Obama comes in the sequences of Presidents.

However, Queen made much more complex compositionsLJ

There's no rule saying that complexity=talent. That is merely your standard, which is in turn your opinion.

Mercury DID have a much stronger voice with more range...LJ

You have to prove using only facts that Mercury had a stronger voice. Simply because you say it doesn't make it so.

Also, like I said, the notion that more range=a stronger voice is subjective. The fact that most people agree with the notion doesn't make it any less objective. If you think that it is a fact, prove it is a fact in a scientific manner with no subjective statements.

any vocal coach can tell you that is a more talented vocalist.LJ

But that would still be their subjective judgment.

Just because it comes from the mouth of a vocal coach doesn't make it objective.

However, as I said you are free to enjoy lesser skilled individuals if they present a package you like.LJ

What I enjoy is irrelevant to the matter of the realm of objectivity and the realm of subjectivity.

As far as composition goes....music theory is taught for a reason.LJ

It's taught to make one informed about music. It doesn't make subjectivity objective.

And again....vocal coaches work to develop talent. In addition musicians vary on talent with their instruments. You should if you spend any time studying or even listening to music be able to pick out the differences between a good guitarist, and adequate guitarist, and a bad guitarist. Perhaps you haven't approached music this way? But a musician can point out the differences.

My own experiences don't matter.

"Good", "adequate" and "bad" are value judgments and are thus subjective from a logical standpoint.

The realm of the objective only deals in facts and facts cannot contain value judgments. Period.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

Nibroc420

If 400 people go "Hey i like Rebecca Black!"

And you go "Hey I like Beiber!"

It's a 400:1 ratio, and you seem to think your opinion outweighs those numbers.

So we look at sales, Who enjoys these artists? Which artist sells more?

You're trying to discount everyone else's oppinion by calling them idiots who dont know music.

Clearly they enjoy the music that is produced, or they wouldn't listen to it. As such the one with the most sales is the most talented performer.

Actually, if you've read my posts, I've assumed no such thing. In fact, what you're accusing me of saying is pretty much contradictory to everything I said in this thread.

When I said that "I like it" doesn't equal "good", I meant it. Which means that the same applies to me. I simply WOULDN'T try to claim that Bieber is better than Black by saying "I like Bieber better", because WHAT I LIKE has absolutely nothing to do with QUALITY.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

GreySeal9

Dude I don't know what to tell you. First you say talent varies and then you claim it can't be objective. Someone who can play quitar without mistakes is more talented on guitar than someone who cannot. Objectively.

What one likes or does not like subjectively has no bearing on the talent of the individual objectively. Now I'm done going around in circles over this.

Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
Well, it is!
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

You're trying to discount everyone else's oppinion by calling them idiots who dont know music.

Clearly they enjoy the music that is produced, or they wouldn't listen to it. As such the one with the most sales is the most talented performer.

Actually, if you've read my posts, I've assumed no such thing. In fact, what you're accusing me of saying is pretty much contradictory to everything I said in this thread.

When I said that "I like it" doesn't equal "good", I meant it. Which means that the same applies to me. I simply WOULDN'T try to claim that Bieber is better than Black by saying "I like Bieber better", because WHAT I LIKE has absolutely nothing to do with QUALITY.

The more talented performer has more fans. Else they wouldn't be fans. /donehere
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

Nibroc420

The more talented performer has more fans. Else they wouldn't be fans. /donehere

Popularity does NOT equal talent. Talent comes from the individual only.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

LJS9502_basic

The fans are the judges of talent. If people like bad music, and you're talented enough to provide it. Then you're talented.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] The more talented performer has more fans. Else they wouldn't be fans. /donehereNibroc420

The fans are the judges of talent. If people like bad music, and you're talented enough to provide it. Then you're talented.

No fans aren't the judges of talent. In fact most fans are inexperienced when they first start listening to music so it's highly unlikely they'd have the knowledge to appreciate much of the music. And in fact....they tend to follow what their friends and the media are pushing. There's a reason Disney creates so many popular artists. Their audience is inexperienced.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 GreySeal9

Dude I don't know what to tell you. First you say talent varies and then you claim it can't be objective. Someone who can play quitar without mistakes is more talented on guitar than someone who cannot. Objectively.LJS9502_basic

Being "more talented" hinges on an opinion that the guitarist that makes more mistakes is less talented.

The only fact would be that one guitarist made more mistakes.

Once you judge which one is more talented, it becomes an opinion and opinions are always subjective.

So again: Guitarist A made more mistakes than Guitarist B. That is a fact.

Guitarist A made more mistakes than Guitar B, therefore Guitarist B is more talented. That is an opinion supported by a fact.

Facts can only report what happened or what is, which is that Guitarist A made more mistakes. When you attach a value judgment, like "Guitarist B is more talented", it no longer is a fact, it is an opinion supported by a fact. Objectivity only deals with bare FACTS with no JUDGMENTS.

What one likes or does not like subjectively has no bearing on the talent of the individual objectively.LJ

But you haven't proved talent to be objective. Otherwise, you would be able to tell me why Lady Gaga is less talented than Queen without insert any opinions or any judgments. But you were not able to do that. After all, you inserted your opinion that more complexity=more talent.

Now I'm done going around in circles over this.

LJ

I think you just really can't get around objectivity only equaling facts and nothing else.

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#162 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

yeah #1 reason i don't talk about music on OT, if i say i like Disturbed theres bound to be 20 other people who tell me

A. why they suck

B. Mention some up and coming or Indie band who is apparently better

C. say something about how mainstream music sucks...

so on and so forth

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 MrGeezer

The more talented performer has more fans. Else they wouldn't be fans. /donehereNibroc420

That might be the case if all fans knew talent. But they don't. Most people aren't music majors and aren't doing any kind of serious research about it. Most people are not experts, they simply listen to what they like and don't even particularly know WHY they like it. Once you start topping the charts, you can't do that without a BIG percentage of your fanbase simply not knowing anything about music.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 LJS9502_basic

I think you just really can't get around objectivity only equaling facts and nothing else.

GreySeal9

I think it's more based on your personal experiences TBH. I can appreciate that artists I don't like have talent. That is an objective valuation NOT based on subjectivity. You seem to blur the two and it's impossible to come to an understanding on this as long as you hold onto the subjectivity ideal you have.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 GreySeal9

MrGeezer

This is not neccesarily true.

One might like a song because they feel that it is a quality product.

One shouldn't use "I like Beiber better" as an argument for it being quality because that wouldn't work, but the quality of something is in many ways connected to one's appreciation of said thing.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]When I said that "I like it" doesn't equal "good", I meant it. Which means that the same applies to me. I simply WOULDN'T try to claim that Bieber is better than Black by saying "I like Bieber better", because WHAT I LIKE has absolutely nothing to do with QUALITY.

GreySeal9

One shouldn't use "I like Beiber better" as an argument for it being quality because that wouldn't work, but the quality of something is in many ways connected to one's appreciation of said thing.

Now see you are talking subjective while he's talking objective.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 MrGeezer

Nibroc420

And many fans are simply POOR JUDGES.

I don't see how this is so hard to understand.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 LJS9502_basic
I have a question for you GreySeal...when you listen to music do you have it on as background noise or do you concentrate on what's going on in the music?
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Nibroc420
And many fans are simply POOR JUDGES.MrGeezer
Thats your personal opinion on the matter. Remember now.. Opinions =/= Facts.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]And many fans are simply POOR JUDGES.Nibroc420

Remember now. Popularity =/= Talent.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

LJS9502_basic

I think it's more based on your personal experiences TBH. I can appreciate that artists I don't like have talent. That is an objective valuation NOT based on subjectivity. You seem to blur the two and it's impossible to come to an understanding on this as long as you hold onto the subjectivity ideal you have.

This is false. When you say that the artist you don't like is "talented", you are still judging that artist's talent, which can only be subjective. Objectivity does not deal in judgments. It only deals in cold hard facts.

Objective statement: Radiohead's third album is OK Computer.

Subective statement: Radiohead is a talented band.

It's not an ideal. It's the truth. Objectivity only deals in facts.

My experiences have nothing do with the difference between objectivity and subjectivity. It is immaterial.

This is a matter of elementary logic, not my experiences or yours.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]And many fans are simply POOR JUDGES.LJS9502_basic

Prove it? I'm saying that if you're more talented as a performer, you'd have more fans because more people would like you. And you're saying that.. Popular performers can suck at being performers, despite people wanting to watch them perform? :roll:
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

This is false. When you say that the artist you don't like is "talented", you are still judging that artist's talent, which can only be subjective. Objectivity does not deal in judgments. It only deals in cold hard facts.

My experiences have nothing do with the difference between objectivity and subjectivity. It is immaterial.

Wrong again. Talent is objective. Preference is subjective. For someone with a "passion for music" I believe you called it....it doesn't appear IMO that you are listening but hearing.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]When I said that "I like it" doesn't equal "good", I meant it. Which means that the same applies to me. I simply WOULDN'T try to claim that Bieber is better than Black by saying "I like Bieber better", because WHAT I LIKE has absolutely nothing to do with QUALITY.

LJS9502_basic

Now see you are talking subjective while he's talking objective.

That is incorrect. Objectivity can ony deal in cold hard facts.

Whether something is quality is a "value judgment" and thus can only be subjective.

This is an objective statement:

Justin Beiber is 17 years old.

This is a subjective statement:

Justin Beiber's music is of high quality.

The first statement leaves no room for disagreement, the second one does.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Thats your personal opinion on the matter. Remember now.. Opinions =/= Facts.

Prove it? I'm saying that if you're more talented as a performer, you'd have more fans because more people would like you. And you're saying that.. Popular performers can suck at being performers, despite people wanting to watch them perform? :roll:

Your own example contradicts your stance. A bad singer is not a talented singer and having fans does not change that. Though in your example...they weren't fans because they actually thought he was good...it was a fad.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I think it's more based on your personal experiences TBH. I can appreciate that artists I don't like have talent. That is an objective valuation NOT based on subjectivity. You seem to blur the two and it's impossible to come to an understanding on this as long as you hold onto the subjectivity ideal you have.

LJS9502_basic

Wrong again. Talent is objective. Preference is subjective. For someone with a "passion for music" I believe you called it....it doesn't appear IMO that you are listening but hearing.

Whether I'm passionate or not has nothing to do with the realm of objectivity or subjectivity. Whether I am hearing or listening or whatever is immaterial. Objectivity can only deal in facts in the purest form and whether I'm passionate or not has nothing to do with that.

Talent is not objective because it relies on a value judgment. You cannot prove it with only facts alone. At some point, you have to judge whether someone is talented or not. Objectivity does not involve judgment. Logically, it can't or it wouldn't be objectivity.

And you should really stop trying to make this about me. This is about elementary logic. It is not about me.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Whether I'm passionate or not has nothing to do with the realm of objectivity or subjectivity. Whether I am hearing or listening or whatever is immatieral. Objectivity can only deal in facts in the purest form and whether I'm passionate or not has nothing to do with that.

Talent is not objective because it relies on a value judgment. You cannot prove it with only facts alone. At some point, you have to judge whether someone is talented or not. Objectivity does not involve judgment. Logically, it can't or it wouldn't be objectivity.

And you should really stop trying to make this about me. This is about elementary logic. It is not about me.

Of course it does. Look there is objectivity in music but when one isn't experienced with it then they don't see it. And that is how we'll have to leave this topic.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 MrGeezer

The first statement leaves no room for disagreement, the second one does.

GreySeal9

The fact that the second statement leaves room for disagreement does NOT mean that all those who disagree are equally right.

Again, if I tried to play an Eric Clapton song without knowing how to use any musical instruments, then my version would be objectively worse. Someone could absolutely disagree, and say that my version is better than Clapton's. And they'd simply be WRONG.

One might not know enough about music to PROVE that x is objectively better than y, but that does NOT mean that one is not in fact objectively better.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

Technical ability is perhaps objective, however it shouldn't be used as a measure of quality as it rarely has little bearing on why we like or dislike a particular song or band. The ability to convey a message or write a song is a talent distinct from how accomplished a musician may be, and that intangible sense of enjoyment we get from something which may really on the surface be quite kitsch, is something we cannot objectively measure, but it's the measure most people would use (removing of course all notions of social conformity, peer pressure, etc.)

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#180 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Come on, greyseal... learn to be objective with your music!

[spoiler] :P [/spoiler]

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 LJS9502_basic

Technical ability is perhaps objective, however it shouldn't be used as a measure of quality as it rarely has little bearing on why we like or dislike a particular song or band. The ability to convey a message or write a song is a talent distinct from how accomplished a musician may be, and that intangible sense of enjoyment we get from something which may really on the surface be quite kitsch, is something we cannot objectively measure, but it's the measure most people would use (removing of course all notions of social conformity, peer pressure, etc.)

poptart
And why we like a song has no bearing on the quality.:P
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Wrong again. Talent is objective. Preference is subjective. For someone with a "passion for music" I believe you called it....it doesn't appear IMO that you are listening but hearing.LJS9502_basic

Whether I'm passionate or not has nothing to do with the realm of objectivity or subjectivity. Whether I am hearing or listening or whatever is immatieral. Objectivity can only deal in facts in the purest form and whether I'm passionate or not has nothing to do with that.

Of course it does. Look there is objectivity in music but when one isn't experienced with it then they don't see it. And that is how we'll have to leave this topic.

You're still trying to make this about me and my exxperience because you can't argue the logic of it. You're basically scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

Any one person's experience is immaterial to facts and objectivity only deals in facts.

These are facts:

The sun rises in the morning.

President Obama was born in Hawaii.

A violin has strings.

Notice that none of these statements contain value judgments.

Objectivity only deals in facts and facts cannot be influenced by one's lack of experience or one's wealth of experience, so that is irrelevant.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="poptart"]

LJS9502_basic

That's not true. One might like a song for the same reasons that they think it to be quality product.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 GreySeal9

Teenaged wrote:

"Come on, greyseal... learn to be objective with your music!"

:P

I really think it is rather surreal that I'm explaining something so fundamental as objectivity .vs. subjectivity. It makes me think that critical thinking classes should be mandatory in all grade levels.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 poptart

[QUOTE="poptart"]

LJS9502_basic

*looks at record collection *

Well yes that is absolutely true :P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 LJS9502_basic

GreySeal9
Actually it was a general statement. How proficient one is with their instrument is an objective talent. Someone that has not much experience nor knowledge about music would merely use their subjective likes to decide what is good. If one studies music or spends time listening and analyzing music they will see music in a much more objective way. That does mean they cannot subjectively like what would objectively not be quality music. But at least they would understand it better. Nonetheless, it's pointless going in circles. You don't want to believe that there is an objective talent between musicians and that's not going to chang. Being able to pick out a virtuoso on guitar is objectively knowing what is and is not good guitar. Not subjective. Subjective is liking guitarist A. Doesn't even have to be a reason for that.

And I'm not the only person trying to explain that.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="poptart"]

GreySeal9

That's not true. One might like a song for the same reasons that they think it to be quality product.

Quality is objective.....appreciation is subjective.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 MrGeezer

You're still trying to make this about me and my exxperience because you can't argue the logic of it. You're basically scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

Any one person's experience is immaterial to facts and objectivity only deals in facts.

These are facts:

The sun rises in the morning.

President Obama was born in Hawaii.

A violin has strings.

Notice that none of these statements contain value judgments.

Objectivity only deals in facts and facts cannot be influenced by one's lack of experience or one's wealth of experience, so that is irrelevant.

GreySeal9

Experience is highly relevant.

Accurate criticism is not easy just like good musicianship isn't easy. You wouldn't expect an inexperienced musician to create a masterpiece, and it also doesn't make sense to expect an inexperienced critic to be able to effectively criticize the work or otherwise talk about it in any meaningful capacity.

Inexperienced people make for poor judges of talent.

And yeah...you can tell me that a violin has strings, but I might not agree with you if I am so vastly inexperienced that I don't know what a violin is. Objective fact or not, I could still disagree with you and I'd simply be WRONG.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] And why we like a song has no bearing on the quality.:PLJS9502_basic

Wrong again. Quality is a value that is judged by people, making it subjective.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 GreySeal9

poptart

It depends.

Technical ability could only be captured in an objective way if I was stated this way:

Guitar Player A can play more chords than Player B.

But if one tried to talk about how "good" or "talented" the players were, then it would revert back to subjectivity.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Nibroc420

Quality in this aspect is quality...ie talented music. That is not a value judgment. People can not appreciate great works of music while loving vastly inferior music. Their opinion does not change the inherent quality of the music.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] And why we like a song has no bearing on the quality.:PLJS9502_basic

No it's not.

It relies on value judgment and standards, which are inherently subjective.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="poptart"]

GreySeal9

It depends.

Technical ability could only be captured in an objective way if I was stated this way:

But if one tried to talk about how "good" or "talented" the players were, then it would revert back to subjectivity.

Not if one understands music. ONLY if one is basing talent on personal opinion.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

No it's not.

Right. Because a well prepared meal is equal to an undercooked, dry meal.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Quality is objective.....appreciation is subjective.

LJS9502_basic

Quality in this aspect is quality...ie talented music. That is not a value judgment. People can not appreciate great works of music while loving vastly inferior music. Their opinion does not change the inherent quality of the music.

Again, you're mixing opinions and facts to come to a conclusion.
Lets remove opinion from the picture by putting on our "Lets be Objective" glasses please 8)

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

LJS9502_basic

It most certainly is a value judgment. Whether one thinks a person is talented or not cannot be proven without only cold hard facts.

Whether something is inferior is a value judgement. If you think that it objective, prove to me that Lady Gaga is inferior to a band you like without stating a single opinion or using a single value judgment.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

LJS9502_basic

No it's not.

But how cooked something is says nothing about its quality, it only speaks to whether it's cooked or not.

It is through our opinion that cooked meals are better than non-cooked meals that we determine "quality".

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

Nibroc420

Again, you're mixing opinions and facts to come to a conclusion.
Lets remove opinion from the picture by putting on our "Lets be Objective" glasses please 8)

Wrong. Not all music is created equal and to say such shows a limitation on one's exposure to music.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

No it's not.

GreySeal9

But how cooked something is says nothing about its quality, it only speaks to whether it's cooked or not.

It is through our opinion that cooked meals are better than non-cooked meals that we determine "quality".

Undercooked meals are not quality dude.:|
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 poptart

[QUOTE="poptart"]

GreySeal9

It depends.

Versatility, capacity to sight read - there are various measures we can use to adjudge technical ability. If talent is simply the measure of how good a person can potentially be, then yes you're correct that's subjective. But there's a reason why there are different grades we reach when we learn music, each denoting a higher level of playing ability - it's an objective a measure as you can get really..