Piracy - your views?

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

leeveeu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 leeveeu
Member since 2003 • 3405 Posts

The article http://www.webpronews.com/pirates-more-likely-to-pay-for-digital-and-physical-media-than-non-pirates-2012-10

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Used game sales are worse for the industry, luckily Sony and MS are fixing this next gen.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Nothing's changed. Pirates are still free-loading scum.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

If companies want to stop it they should offer a way to discern at least part of the quality of the game before buying it. And of course which part shouldn't be decided by them, lest they could cheat people into believing sh!t like Assassin's Creed is a good game.

There's no way I'm ever spending, putting down 50 to 60 euros on a new game unless a developer has completely earned my trust (CDPR, Blizzard and BioWare with TW2, SC2 and ME2 are the only ones that met that criteria in recent years) without knowing to a good degree what's in it. I've learned my lesson after preordering Unreal Tournament 3 and Hellgate London.

If I couldn't try out games before I bought them I wouldn't spend half the money I spend now on gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I'm not a thief so I don't pirate games. When I do buy them I get them cheap on Steam.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
If companies do not provide adequate ways to purchase and download content then there will be pirates. I used to pirate video games in my youth and then steam was developed as an easy way to purchase and download games to own, so there is no need to pirate games any more. Unfortunately Hollywood has failed to deliver a good way to digitally own movies, so I'm stuck cluttering my house up with countless blu-ray/dvd's. They are pushing the whole Ultra Violet digital cloud movies which means you still have to go buy a disk in order to get the crappy digital version. They really need to launch a steam like client for movies so people can purchase movies digitally in a carefree way. That will solve some of their pirating issues.
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#7 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

In my eyes, its immoral 

C_Glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 C_Glass
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

jun_aka_pekto

Chances are that you're commucating with a ton of pirates here, and chances are they are penniless teenagers without a job, and too much time on their hands.

My point is seeing things as black and white will do you no good. Especially since they are hurting no-one (devs were never guranteed their money; alot of them are penniless teenagers, as stated).

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

I think pirates are awesome.

Oh wait, that piracy...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

C_Glass

Chances are that you're commucating with a ton of pirates here, and chances are they are penniless teenagers without a job, and too much time on their hands.

My point is seeing things as black and white will do you no good. Especially since they are hurting no-one (devs were never guranteed their money; alot of them are penniless teenagers, as stated).

I used to be a penniless teen too. I made do with what I had. I learned at an early age to pay for things/services I'm supposed to pay for even if someone offers it for free (like one haircut from a barber friend of my Dad). If I can't or would not pay for it, then skip it. End of story. There are other things for me to do.

None of these things that get pirated are necessities. People who can afford to buy TVs, stereos, consoles, PCs, and other electronics should be able to afford the cost of the content for them. If not, then they should factor that in first before buying a gadget. That's my take on it.      

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 N30F3N1X

I used to be a penniless teen too. I made do with what I had. I learned at an early age to pay for things/services I'm supposed to pay for even if someone offers it for free (like one haircut from a barber friend of my Dad). If I can't or would not pay for it, then skip it. End of story. There are other things for me to do.

None of these things that get pirated are necessities. People who can afford to buy TVs, stereos, consoles, PCs, and other electronics should be able to afford the cost of the content for them. If not, then they should factor that in first before buying a gadget. That's my take on it.      

jun_aka_pekto

What does it matter if they are necessities?

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#12 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts
they don't seed enough
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Let me try and understand this articles logic. So, a 15 year old gamer that pirates any game he can is more likely to buy video games then his 60 year old grandma who doesn't pirate games? Well dah.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#14 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
I don't pirate games Why? because i want them keep coming. other garbage IDC... specially movies/ music. Those fools make too much money. They can sell movie tickets for $5 every day and still make profit
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts
Piracy is wrong....
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

N30F3N1X

Like food and water? If it's the difference between living and being buried six feet under? Sure. It's sad when people have to be desperate enough to steal or become beggars just to have something to eat or drink. I've had to help prop up relatives who fell into hard times. Spending what money they had on necessities or luxuries is of course, a concern.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic

Used game sales are worse for the industry, luckily MS are fixing this next gen.

tenaka2
Fixed for you.....
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]I don't pirate games Why? because i want them keep coming. other garbage IDC... specially movies/ music. Those fools make too much money. They can sell movie tickets for $5 every day and still make profit

In other words you only support the entertainment you like. Games cost a lot to make but so does movies. And I don't think CDs actually cost that much. Just excuses to pirate.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 N30F3N1X

Like food and water? If it's the difference between living and being buried six feet under? Sure. It's sad when people have to be desperate enough to steal or become beggars just to have something to eat or drink. I've had to help prop up relatives who fell into hard times. Spending what money they had on necessities or luxuries is of course, a concern.

jun_aka_pekto

Wtf are you saying? Nothing of what you just wrote bears any resemblance to an explanation.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#20 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I've pirated before, even if I think it's wrong. I do prefer buying the games because I like collecting, though.
johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I've pirated before, even if I think it's wrong. I do prefer buying the games because I like collecting, though.Dudersaper

Same here.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]I don't pirate games Why? because i want them keep coming. other garbage IDC... specially movies/ music. Those fools make too much money. They can sell movie tickets for $5 every day and still make profit LJS9502_basic
In other words you only support the entertainment you like. Games cost a lot to make but so does movies. And I don't think CDs actually cost that much. Just excuses to pirate.

yup support what you enjoy. cd's cost $15/$1 per song so price of a movie and I bet that cost more to make...

Kats_RK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kats_RK
Member since 2010 • 2080 Posts

I've pirated before, even if I think it's wrong. I do prefer buying the games because I like collecting, though.Dudersaper

Same,I don't do it anymore because I have money for games now but when I was younger my parents literally wouldn't give me money for anything.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

N30F3N1X
Because that basically makes them just toys. When those people then start crying because they can't afford it, it makes them self entitled spoiled brats. They're acting like f***ing children. Hey, I wanted lots of toys when I was a kid too. When my parents couldn't afford to get them for me, I simply did without them.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

N30F3N1X

Wtf are you saying? Nothing of what you just wrote bears any resemblance to an explanation.

My bad. I was thinking of something else.

I have a more sympathetic eye for people who steal food because it's a matter of survival for them even if it's still a crime. Someone or a system failed them.

Not so for those who choose to pirate video games and other entertainment media. If they can afford the systems then they should be able to afford the content for them. If they can't afford it, then don't indulge.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#26 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I'm too impatient to be a pirate, lol.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrGeezer
Also, the linked article is crap. The whole argument for piracy being beneficial rests on the idea that people spend more money when they get to try before they buy. But it's ignoring the fact that when people do get to try before they buy, they WON'T buy it if they think it sucks. Regardless of if pirates are pouring more money into "the industry", certain artists are still getting the shaft. People are helping themselves to the fruits of those artists' labor without compensating them so much as one measly penny.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic
Also, the linked article is crap. The whole argument for piracy being beneficial rests on the idea that people spend more money when they get to try before they buy. But it's ignoring the fact that when people do get to try before they buy, they WON'T buy it if they think it sucks. Regardless of if pirates are pouring more money into "the industry", certain artists are still getting the shaft. People are helping themselves to the fruits of those artists' labor without compensating them so much as one measly penny. MrGeezer
The world is filled with too many individuals that believe in self entitlement....
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 N30F3N1X

Also, the linked article is crap. The whole argument for piracy being beneficial rests on the idea that people spend more money when they get to try before they buy. But it's ignoring the fact that when people do get to try before they buy, they WON'T buy it if they think it sucks. Regardless of if pirates are pouring more money into "the industry", certain artists are still getting the shaft. People are helping themselves to the fruits of those artists' labor without compensating them so much as one measly penny. MrGeezer

So artists who make sh!t "art" should get retributed anyway? What kind of moron can think something like that is a negative side effect?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]Also, the linked article is crap. The whole argument for piracy being beneficial rests on the idea that people spend more money when they get to try before they buy. But it's ignoring the fact that when people do get to try before they buy, they WON'T buy it if they think it sucks. Regardless of if pirates are pouring more money into "the industry", certain artists are still getting the shaft. People are helping themselves to the fruits of those artists' labor without compensating them so much as one measly penny. N30F3N1X

So artists who make sh!t "art" should get retributed anyway? What kind of moron can think something like that is a negative side effect?

He didn't say that. Straw man much? Look if you want someone's work you pay for it....conversely if you find it sh*t...you don't buy it. But you don't take it.....
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
I don't pirate
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 N30F3N1X

I have a more sympathetic eye for people who steal food because it's a matter of survival for them even if it's still a crime. Someone or a system failed them.

Not so for those who choose to pirate video games and other entertainment media. If they can afford the systems then they should be able to afford the content for them. If they can't afford it, then don't indulge.

jun_aka_pekto

I agree that stealing necessities can be forgiven, however I don't understand how you can link that to "piracy shouldn't be forgiven". It's not theft as noone is having anything taken from them, so why the comparison?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
I don't piratedave123321
But you wear an eye patch.....:(
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

N30F3N1X

I agree that stealing necessities can be forgiven, however I don't understand how you can link that to "piracy shouldn't be forgiven". It's not theft as noone is having anything taken from them, so why the comparison?

You can call it all the fancy terms you want but if the system is set up so that they get paid for their work by the selling of their product.....then taking a product without remuneration is a form of "theft'. Are you really going to make this a semantics argument?
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 N30F3N1X

He didn't say that. Straw man much? Look if you want someone's work you pay for it....conversely if you find it sh*t...you don't buy it. But you don't take it.....LJS9502_basic

Yeah, he did say that. No reason to mention that if he meant anything else. Straw man my ass.

What kind of dumb argument is that? There is no other option in games :?

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
The person you described who didn't end up buying the game wouldn't have bought the game in the first place if they weren't able to pirate it, so it's hard to see how the artist/developer actually got shafted in that scenario.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]Also, the linked article is crap. The whole argument for piracy being beneficial rests on the idea that people spend more money when they get to try before they buy. But it's ignoring the fact that when people do get to try before they buy, they WON'T buy it if they think it sucks. Regardless of if pirates are pouring more money into "the industry", certain artists are still getting the shaft. People are helping themselves to the fruits of those artists' labor without compensating them so much as one measly penny. N30F3N1X

Yes, they should be compensated anyway if people use their art. They're not charging you money for your enjoyment, they're charging you money for use of their product. You can't pretend like you shouldn't have to pay because it sucks, not after you've helped yourself to it. That's like sneaking into a movie theater, watching an ENTIRE movie, and then arguing that you shouldn't have to pay for a ticket. Whether you think it sucks is irrelevant, you still sat there and watched the whole goddamn movie.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]Also, the linked article is crap. The whole argument for piracy being beneficial rests on the idea that people spend more money when they get to try before they buy. But it's ignoring the fact that when people do get to try before they buy, they WON'T buy it if they think it sucks. Regardless of if pirates are pouring more money into "the industry", certain artists are still getting the shaft. People are helping themselves to the fruits of those artists' labor without compensating them so much as one measly penny. -Sun_Tzu-
The person you described who didn't end up buying the game wouldn't have bought the game in the first place if they weren't able to pirate it, so it's hard to see how the artist/developer actually got shafted in that scenario.

Your crystal ball must be amazing. There is no way for you to know that.....if it's something he really wanted and paying was the only way to get it...he'd pay.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 N30F3N1X

You can call it all the fancy terms you want but if the system is set up so that they get paid for their work by the selling of their product.....then taking a product without remuneration is a form of "theft'. Are you really going to make this a semantics argument?LJS9502_basic

You're the ones who are bringing semantics into question. The difference between theft and piracy is unquestionable both to me and the law. Straw man more ;)

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
I stopped pirating awhile ago. I would argue that for certain people, piracy only gives them a sense of entitlement that things should be free rather than a product that should be paid for. Then again, those are the same people that would record music on cassette tapes from radio.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] He didn't say that. Straw man much? Look if you want someone's work you pay for it....conversely if you find it sh*t...you don't buy it. But you don't take it.....N30F3N1X

Yeah, he did say that. No reason to mention that if he meant anything else. Straw man my ass.

What kind of dumb argument is that? There is no other option in games :?

Where? Look if you don't find a game worth the money....you don't play it. It's that simple.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]You can call it all the fancy terms you want but if the system is set up so that they get paid for their work by the selling of their product.....then taking a product without remuneration is a form of "theft'. Are you really going to make this a semantics argument?N30F3N1X

You're the ones who are bringing semantics into question. The difference between theft and piracy is unquestionable both to me and the law. Straw man more ;)

Some countries use the term theft for piracy....so it's not a separate action...it's semantics depending on LEGAL definitions. We could change the legal term today.....but it would still be the same action.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 N30F3N1X

Where? Look if you don't find a game worth the money....you don't play it. It's that simple.LJS9502_basic

Are you stunned? If you don't know what's in a game how do you know if it's worth the money?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Oh ffs guys, stop downplaying semantics in a debate.... :(

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] The person you described who didn't end up buying the game wouldn't have bought the game in the first place if they weren't able to pirate it, so it's hard to see how the artist/developer actually got shafted in that scenario.

The difference is obvious. Neither person paid the artist, but the person who pirated the game/movie/etc still got full use of the content. The guy who doesn't buy AND doesn't pirate doesn't owe the creators anything since he didn't GET anything. The pirate DID get the entire product and then refuses to pay for it afterwards.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Where? Look if you don't find a game worth the money....you don't play it. It's that simple.N30F3N1X

Are you stunned? If you don't know what's in a game how do you know if it's worth the money?

The implications of this line of reasoning are pretty stunning. Test driving a car suddenly becomes an ethical dilemma, as does simply borrowing a video game or CD from a friend to see if you'd like to buy it for yourself.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Where? Look if you don't find a game worth the money....you don't play it. It's that simple.N30F3N1X

I guess all these game reviews sites are in my imagination....not to mention game stores do have games out to play. You don't have a right to take someone's work and not contribute to the cost of said work. You are one of the self entitled individuals apparently.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="N30F3N1X"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Where? Look if you don't find a game worth the money....you don't play it. It's that simple.-Sun_Tzu-

The implications of this line of reasoning are pretty stunning. Test driving a car suddenly becomes an ethical dilemma, as does simply borrowing a video game or CD from a friend to see if you'd like to buy it for yourself.

Straw man. I'm not talking about borrowing a game. I'm talking about taking a game for free.....
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 N30F3N1X

The difference is obvious. Neither person paid the artist, but the person who pirated the game/movie/etc still got full use of the content. The guy who doesn't buy AND doesn't pirate doesn't owe the creators anything since he didn't GET anything. The pirate DID get the entire product and then refuses to pay for it afterwards.MrGeezer

True.

The fact that the system is set up to work as you're saying, by having to pay an artist to "use his art" rather than to enjoy it, is by itself ridiculous. No sane person should abide rules that don't make any sense.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 N30F3N1X

I guess all these game reviews sites are in my imagination....not to mention game stores do have games out to play. You don't have a right to take someone's work and not contribute to the cost of said work. You are one of the self entitled individuals apparently. LJS9502_basic

Lol reviews. I totally didn't see that coming from a mile away. Oblivion, Assassin's Creed, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2. 'nuff said.