Piracy - your views?

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"] For all the complaining gamers do about how this or that game sucks and we're not going to buy it, those same gamers go right out and pirate it. Nibroc420
Well yeah, that's how they know the game sucks. Resulting in them not playing the game, or spending any money to support that developer. Reviews have become so paid off, some people simply pirate. If they like the game, they buy it. If they encounter a **** game, they obviously stop playing the game they dont like, and have no intention of supporting a company who makes those games.

I already addressed this. People pirate games for all sorts of reasons, so it's pretty hard to determine WHY it's being pirated. Here's a link, though. http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/09/09/video.game.piracy/#fbid=0UUOvAM0_lo&wom=false I don't know if those numbers for Modern Warfare 2 are accurate. But assuming that they are, that's nearly 12 million copies sold, and more than 4 million copies pirated. That's about a 25% piracy rate. That's f***ing bad. You can say all you want that it was only pirated so much because it sucks, but it was also supposedly the best selling game of the year, selling a whopping 12 million copies. Regardless of whether or not YOU think the Call of Duty games suck, people apparently liked it enough for it to sell almost 12 million units. So...what the hell is Activision supposed to make of this? Do the 4 million units pirated tell Activision that they need to do something different, or do the nearly 12 million sales indicate that people REALLY like the games and that they're doing a good job of satisfying their user base? By what metric is Activision supposed to use to calculate how much they are f***ing up? A 25% piracy rate seems really bad, but those games also CONTINUALLY sell like crazy. By one standard, people apparently HATE that game (and apparently the franchise at large) since nearly 25% of the copies in circulation are pirated. By a completely different standard, nearly 12 million people bought the game, which is a goal which most developers and publishers couldn't ever dream of attaining. So...bad game or good? Do those 4 million pirated copies indicate that the game needs to be fundamentally changed? Or do those nearly 12 million sold copies indicate that Activision is doing a very good job appealing to their fanbase, and that the people piratinbg the games in order to make a statement are merely being self-entitled assbags? If pirating is a valid statement that developers and publishers need to release better content, then what exactly is the metric for determining what is good and what is bad?
dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts

IMO, there isn't a legitimate excuse for pirating. Any attempt to rationalize it is an attempt to justify theft. If you didn't pay for software/music/ movies, you have no right to have access to it.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#154 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

IMO, there isn't a legitimate excuse for pirating. Any attempt to rationalize it is an attempt to justify theft. If you didn't pay for software/music/ movies, you have no right to have access to it.

dagreenfish
Imagine if the only way to hear a song was to buy the album. How would you know what songs you like? Just buy 100 random albums and find the right band/song? "Hmm i wonder if this band is good, guess i'll drop $50-60 to find out" Games/Music, how can you "vote with your wallet", when the only was to get an honest answer of what is good or not is demos the publisher refuses to release. People pirate, they say "hey, i like this game and actually want to support the developers", or "this game sucks, why would i ever play this? let alone pay for it"
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

Pirating games usually requires too much work and they don't always work right so it's way easier just to buy them. 

Pirated movies usually don't look as good as Blu Ray in quality so I usually just order them from on demand unless I plan to watch them on my phone.  

I like pirated music but I mostly buy my stuff these days.  I used to use demonoid but they are gone now.

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"]

Nibroc420

Imagine if the only way to hear a song was to buy the album. How would you know what songs you like? Just buy 100 random albums and find the right band/song? "Hmm i wonder if this band is good, guess i'll drop $50-60 to find out" Games/Music, how can you "vote with your wallet", when the only was to get an honest answer of what is good or not is demos the publisher refuses to release. People pirate, they say "hey, i like this game and actually want to support the developers", or "this game sucks, why would i ever play this? let alone pay for it"

Oooo I can imagine that because I actually remember a time before music was on the internet. You Learned about music and band by the radio, word of mouth, going to shows, and demo tapes/cd's. If you want to eat at a restaurant that isn't offering free samples, do you just walk in the door and into the kitchen and grab a bite just because you don't know if you'll like it? If somebody writes a book, but doesn't offer a sample chapter, are you justified in breaking into their house and reading some of their work to decide whether you'll like it or not? If somebody wants to sell you a car, but is unwilling to let you test drive it, is it ok for you to break into the car and drive it around to see if you'll like tha handling?

It may not be good business practice to not offer samples, but that doesn't entitle you to piracy. You have no inherent right to sample music/games/food/books/anything to find out what you like witthout the consent of the owner/s of said property. Try as you might to justify it, it's theft.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
Never pirate anything but music. I try to buy anything new that comes out, but when it comes to older stuff I am not willing to go buy old CD's for such exspensive prices.