Obama named 15th best president by 238 Presidential Scholars

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 0

#101 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"] I don't know... that was a pretty great game.

If the end of the world comes, I hope it ends up like Fallout 3. :P
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#102 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
I seriously don't understand the teleprompter hating. It means he doesn't have to spend time memorizing a huge transcript. Practically everyone uses teleprompters for public speaking nowadays. What's the problem?
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I hope that the price of gas keeps increasing. It will hurt for a while, but it needs to not be cheap. That's another thread entirely though. Stability is just fine at this point. After the biggest meltdown since the 30s, I'd say that's quite an accomplishment in this short of time.Engrish_Major

People can't afford hybrids as it is. You hurt everyone by making gas expensive. There is no alternative source of energy that is viable. We don't make enough ethanol, and electric cars can't make cross-country trips without having to recharge.

I can't possibly support something that will hurt the vast majority just because a few want to regulate carbon emissions.

Stability doesn't matter if there's no confidence. And Obama isn't even fixing the major culprits of the stock market melt down. So what the hell is this financial reform supposed to do?

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
You know what kind of irks me about Obama? All of these small business incentives. Let's be realistic for a second: how many people actually use small businesses on a regular basis? I would wager that almost anyone in here spends more of their free money in big business than small business. Sinking money into incentives for things people won't use? That doesn't seem economically sound to me.jalexbrown
Small businesses make up a significant portion of the American economy, so it only makes sense (to me, anyway) to support them instead of big businesses.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]Kennedy should not be that high. He is beloved for his charisma and remembered for his tragic death but if we're realistic or objective about it he accomplished very little in his time in office and failed to get congress on his side. Ninja-Hippo

We're not living in a fallout3 world now because of his handling of the Cuban missile crisis. I'd say that's pretty awesome.

A success which was more or less negated by the complete failure of the Bay of Pigs invasion.

Sorry if I consider avoiding the end of the world as we know an accomplishment that outweighs a botched attempt to get rid of castro.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

By forcing us to spend more money on gas, we spend less on the things we need. That doesn't make the economy better. That's common sense.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

People can't afford hybrids as it is. You hurt everyone by making gas expensive. There is no alternative source of energy that is viable. We don't make enough ethanol, and electric cars can't make cross-country trips without having to recharge.

I can't possibly support something that will hurt the vast majority just because a few want to regulate carbon emissions.

Stability doesn't matter if there's no confidence. And Obama isn't even fixing the major culprits of the stock market melt down. So what the hell is this financial reform supposed to do?

Cheap gas already hurts all of us.
Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#108 Franklinstein
Member since 2004 • 7017 Posts
I disagree with that list. It is way too soon to be judging Obama anyway. I don't think I agree with anything on that list except that Andrew Johnson is the worst we've ever had.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Cheap gas already hurts all of us.Engrish_Major

That makes absolutely no sense.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Engrish_Major

By forcing us to spend more money on gas, we spend less on the things we need. That doesn't make the economy better. That's common sense.

airshocker
Common sense would be to then use less gas.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Ninja-Hippo

Sorry if I consider avoiding the end of the world as we know an accomplishment that outweighs a botched attempt to get rid of castro.

topgunmv

I think you over-state the threat to be honest. It was as close to conflict as the US and Russia ever came but realistically neither wanted to trigger what would obviously result in outright destruction for both nations. It was a battle of will, and he certainly came out on top. At no point did i say he accomplished nothing, did I?

In office however, he accomplished very little and like i said, failed to get congress on his side and made very poor use of his VP.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Common sense would be to then use less gas.Engrish_Major

People need to get to work. Some people even have to drive long distances to get to jobs.

People need to go food shopping. People need to pick their children and spouses up.

Businesses need to make deliveries. Businesses need to move goods. Prices will go up for EVERYTHING.

How is that a good thing?

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Engrish_Major

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]Cheap gas already hurts all of us.airshocker

That makes absolutely no sense.

It makes more sense than you think it does.
Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Franklinstein

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]

John Tyler at 37? I thought he would at least be in the high 20's.

GodofBigMacs

There are a lot of mixed opinions on him. Some commend him for strengthening the presidential position, but he also left many rifts in the nation to allow a future Civil War.

What the hell is Nixon doing above Bush?

MasterBolt360

Outside of Watergate and Nixon's personal paranoia, Nixon really did a great job at opening up trade in China for the US, as well as foreign relations in general.

Yeah, Nixon should have been a lot higher, Carter too. Carter had so much working against him, but he worked his ass off to do his best.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#115 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] So because he doesn't take the time to memorize all of his speeches shows that he hasn't played a active role in the crafting of said speeches? -Sun_Tzu-

If he played an active role in crafting them wouldn't he remember at least a portion of it?

Who's to say he doesn't?

This right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHUsRTYFAU&feature=related

This is funny too, unrelated though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThEAO0lt4Dw&feature=related

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Engrish_Major

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]Common sense would be to then use less gas.airshocker

People need to get to work. Some people even have to drive long distances to get to jobs.

People need to go food shopping. People need to pick their children and spouses up.

Businesses need to make deliveries. Businesses need to move goods. Prices will go up for EVERYTHING.

How about not living long distances from your job? How about not driving to go food shopping?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

It makes more sense than you think it does.Engrish_Major

Explain it to me. Keep in mind that I don't give a **** what environmentalists think. Keep it in the realm of economics, because that's what affects me most.

Osaka-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Osaka-06
Member since 2010 • 781 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="topgunmv"]

We're not living in a fallout3 world now because of his handling of the Cuban missile crisis. I'd say that's pretty awesome.

topgunmv

A success which was more or less negated by the complete failure of the Bay of Pigs invasion.

You're giving him credit for the cuban missile crisis? It could have ended in disaster, you know that right? What if the Russians didn't back down? It's was a very risky gamble and he should get any credit for it.
Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Franklinstein
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]Common sense would be to then use less gas.Engrish_Major

How about not living long distances from your job? How about not driving to go food shopping?

I agree, people need to drive less. But raising gas, raises prices for everything. Alternative fuels need to be more important, and more efficient travel needs to happen.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Ninja-Hippo

Snipes_2

He paused the first time because he said breathalyzer instead of inhalor, and the rest of the times he stopped because people in the audience were yelling stuff out. :|

Further, that's not even a speech.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 topgunmv

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

A forced migration back to cities is a worse fate than a dependence on oil imo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

How about not living long distances from your job? How about not driving to go food shopping?Engrish_Major

Has it ever crossed your mind that some people can't afford to just pick up and move closer to their job?

Or that some people might need their vehicles to bring groceries back home?

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

Ninja-Hippo
He paused the first time because he said breathalyzer instead of inhalor, and the rest of the times he stopped because people in the audience were yelling stuff out. :|

Uh huh...If you say so.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] If he played an active role in crafting them wouldn't he remember at least a portion of it?

Snipes_2

Who's to say he doesn't?

That doesn't mean anything - him losing his train of thought while speaking at a town hall event doesn't prove that he doesn't play an active role in the crafting of his own speeches. As I've already posted, there is hard evidence that says to the contrary.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

Ninja-Hippo

What is it then?
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Engrish_Major

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]It makes more sense than you think it does.airshocker

Explain it to me. Keep in mind that I don't give a **** what environmentalists think. Keep it in the realm of economics, because that's what affects me most.

You don't care about breathing in particulates and carbon monoxide? Whether or not you care about that, it is linked to economics. When our country is crippled by preventable obesity and heart disease, it is most certainly in the realm of economics. Driving is the least efficient, most expensive, and least safe form of transit. When gas is expensive, people drive less. Fact. And that is good for everyone, healthwise, and economically (except for automobile and oil companies of course).
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 topgunmv

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] A success which was more or less negated by the complete failure of the Bay of Pigs invasion. Osaka-06

You're giving him credit for the cuban missile crisis? It could have ended in disaster, you know that right? What if the Russians didn't back down? It's was a very risky gamble and he should get any credit for it.

Most historians disagree.

Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Franklinstein

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]It makes more sense than you think it does.airshocker

You realize we buy that oil for ridiculously high prices right? Now, if you don't give a crap about the environment, you should be on the coal bandwagon, we have enough of that stuff to last us for seemingly ever. And it is somewhat renewable. Just really bad for the environment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I agree, people need to drive less. But raising gas, raises prices for everything. Alternative fuels need to be more important, and more efficient travel needs to happen.Franklinstein

What about the farmers in North Dakota that live many miles away from farming communities and larger towns?

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Engrish_Major

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]How about not living long distances from your job? How about not driving to go food shopping?airshocker

Has it ever crossed your mind that some people can't afford to just pick up and move closer to their job?

Or that some people might need their vehicles to bring groceries back home?

Studies have found that living closer to your job can actually offset the immense cost of commuting from living dozens of miles away from it. So you can't necessarily bring affordability into it. And, why do you need to drive to and from the grocery store each time? I don't remember the last time I drove to a grocery store.
Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Franklinstein

[QUOTE="Franklinstein"]I agree, people need to drive less. But raising gas, raises prices for everything. Alternative fuels need to be more important, and more efficient travel needs to happen.airshocker

What about the farmers in North Dakota that live many miles away from farming communities and larger towns?

That's where efficient traveling comes in. Trains for example, are much more efficient than trucks.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

Snipes_2

Uh huh...If you say so.

Well if you watch your own video you can see it yourself with your own eyes. :| He doesn't even have a teleprompter, he's walking around the room. :? Plus it's not even a speech.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

These lists always make me laugh. People move up and down for no reason. In 2002 John Adams was 12th and now he is 17th. What happened that made him drop? Nothing: they just move presidents around for no reason.

After his first term Bush was in the low 20's. Now look at him. Same will happen to Obama. There is no way he is going to stay at 15. Not that I really care what these "scholars" think.

Osaka-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Osaka-06

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] If he played an active role in crafting them wouldn't he remember at least a portion of it?

Snipes_2

Who's to say he doesn't?

This is funny too, unrelated though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThEAO0lt4Dw&feature=related

Those aren't speeches...
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Who's to say he doesn't? -Sun_Tzu-

That doesn't mean anything - him losing his train of thought while speaking at a town hall event doesn't prove that he doesn't play an active role in the crafting of his own speeches. As I've already posted, there is hard evidence that says to the contrary.

Town hall speech = No Teleprompter. Pictures of an edited speech? How does that prove he memorized anything without the prompter?

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Reagan should be even lower!
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] He paused the first time because he said breathalyzer instead of inhalor, and the rest of the times he stopped because people in the audience were yelling stuff out. :| Ninja-Hippo

Uh huh...If you say so.

Well if you watch your own video you can see it yourself with your own eyes. :| He doesn't even have a teleprompter, he's walking around the room. :? Plus it's not even a speech.

How is it not a speech?

Uh...I posted that link because he doesn't have a prompter. Like I said, he looks like a buffoon without it.

fingerslipped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 fingerslipped
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I am a right leaning individual, don't belong to a party because the parties are a joke to be honest. Barack Obama seriously doesn't belong at 15, he hasn't even completed his term yet. When he is done with his term, while I respectfully disagree with his ranking at 15th, I won't care because everybody is entitled to their own opinions. I know this thread is going to turn into a Republican and Democrat flame war, but from someone on the outside looking in Obama does not deserve the 15th spot. Wait until his term is done, then we'll see how well he has done. So far though he has been a painfully average president. Also Richard Nixon is too low, if it weren't for him we probably wouldn't be on speaking terms with China.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

You don't care about breathing in particulates and carbon monoxide? Whether or not you care about that, it is linked to economics. When our country is crippled by preventable obesity and heart disease, it is most certainly in the realm of economics. Driving is the least efficient, most expensive, and least safe form of transit. When gas is expensive, people drive less. Fact. And that is good for everyone, healthwise, and economically (except for automobile and oil companies of course).Engrish_Major

I'm not choking every time I walk out the door. Nor am I, or any responsible person I know, obese.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that you think it's actually feasible to get rid of driving. Nothing would get done. It actually reminds me of when I play Tropico 3 and my teamsters are stuck in traffic jams and can't deliver any of my goods, which in the end cripples my economy.

It's bad economically for everyone due to the simple fact that everything becomes more expensive. Everything.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

Snipes_2

What is it then?

A town hall event. :| It says right there on the screen. During such events the speaker takes questions and answers the concerns of people in the audience. That's why he's walking around the room with a microphone rather than standing at a podium reading at length.

EDIT: he looks like a buffoon because he corrects himself saying inhalor/breathalyzer? That's the standard of 'buffoon'? Really?

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Who's to say he doesn't? Osaka-06

Those aren't speeches...

I said the Second one wasn't....Why isn't the first one a speech?
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#142 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

So basically what you're saying is to hell with rural America.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] He paused the first time because he said breathalyzer instead of inhalor, and the rest of the times he stopped because people in the audience were yelling stuff out. :|

Ninja-Hippo

What is it then?

A town hall event. :| It says right there on the screen. During such events the speaker takes questions and answers the concerns of people in the audience. That's why he's walking around the room with a microphone rather than standing at a podium reading at length.

And...Without a Teleprompter...He isn't a Great Orator. Which is my point.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

That's where efficient traveling comes in. Trains for example, are much more efficient than trucks. Franklinstein

You can't connect every farmer's house to a train. Trains are already heavily used in North Dakota.

Trains don't operate the machinery used for farming.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Ninja-Hippo

Snipes_2
No it wasn't. :| Your point was that he cannot remember portions of his own speeches, which you were saying is proof that he must not be heavily involved in writing them.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Engrish_Major

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]You don't care about breathing in particulates and carbon monoxide? Whether or not you care about that, it is linked to economics. When our country is crippled by preventable obesity and heart disease, it is most certainly in the realm of economics. Driving is the least efficient, most expensive, and least safe form of transit. When gas is expensive, people drive less. Fact. And that is good for everyone, healthwise, and economically (except for automobile and oil companies of course).airshocker

I'm not choking every time I walk out the door. Nor am I, or any responsible person I know, obese.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that you think it's actually feasible to get rid of driving. Nothing would get done. It actually reminds me of when I play Tropico 3 and my teamsters are stuck in traffic jams and can't deliver any of my goods, which in the end cripples my economy.

It's bad economically for everyone due to the simple fact that everything becomes more expensive. Everything.

If less people drove, that would reduce the cost of many things. I never said "get rid of driving", did I? I am an advocate for reducing it. Anecdotal evidence such as video games and people you know don't count. It's a fact that preventable heart disease and obesity are great problems in this country. And our commuting practices are a large cause of that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Studies have found that living closer to your job can actually offset the immense cost of commuting from living dozens of miles away from it. So you can't necessarily bring affordability into it. And, why do you need to drive to and from the grocery store each time? I don't remember the last time I drove to a grocery store.Engrish_Major

There are cases where you just can't move to go to a new job. It's impossible. There are also some jobs that require you to live in wide open expanses, like farming. Can't farm in a city.

And you do not represent every single person in America. There are families that need vehicles to pick groceries and other things up.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Engrish_Major

Snipes_2
Not in my opinion. Open press conferences, debates, etc, he seems to handle quite well.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Engrish_Major
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

There are cases where you just can't move to go to a new job. It's impossible. There are also some jobs that require you to live in wide open expanses, like farming. Can't farm in a city.

And you do not represent every single person in America. There are families that need vehicles to pick groceries and other things up.

Of course there are cases, and some people that need vehicles. But not the 90% of people in most cities that currently drive to their jobs. When gas went above $4 per gallon, commuting share in public transit in most cities in this country rose immensely. Which shows that people do in fact have a choice. It is cheap gas that keeps them in their cars. And I have to breathe it.
Osaka-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Osaka-06

[QUOTE="Osaka-06"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] This right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHUsRTYFAU&feature=related

Snipes_2

Those aren't speeches...

I said the Second one wasn't....Why isn't the first one a speech?

He's answering questions about his policies and politics on the go. It has got nothing to do with him being a great orator or not...but it's not as if that matters anyways...something which the republicans have been trying to argue for years.