Obama named 15th best president by 238 Presidential Scholars

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#201 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"]

You only mentioned obesity and heart disease when I asked you for a study, actually.

The article you did provide seems to me only to represent those who are in the car for hours upon hours every day. Not the average American driving to work. Expensive gas hurts us more.

The fact is that driving is the most expensive, most dangerous, and least efficient mode of transit. Less driving = better for everyone.

I'm not the least bit sure how I got quoted here. :|
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

The fact is that driving is the most expensive, most dangerous, and least efficient mode of transit. Less driving = better for everyone.Engrish_Major

And making gas more expensive will only make it worse.

Driving is very efficient. We wouldn't have such a fast-paced society if people weren't allowed to drive.

Everything is inherently dangerous, unfortunately.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#203 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] Your video does not show what the question was, and does not continue long enough to hear him answer the question. :|

IF it takes him over a minute to respond to a question coherently that's pretty sad.

You have no idea what the question was. :? If it was a fairly complex question about healthcare legislation (and he was clearly talking about healthcare) i'd be quite happy if he spoke for over a minute. You're really reaching with this. The video doesn't show a thing relating to his ability to give a speech and does nothing at all to back up your assertion that he does not write them because he cannot remember them.

IT was at a town hall meeting, how complex can the question be? He didn't even start answering it in the time allotted in the video.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]Why don't you have a hybrid?Engrish_Major
It doesn't make much of a difference. I hardly use my car.

Wouldn't it be safe to say that every little bit would help?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I'm not the least bit sure how I got quoted here. :|jalexbrown

Don't you steal my words!

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#206 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

Driving is very efficient. We wouldn't have such a fast-paced society if people weren't allowed to drive.

No, as I said earlier, making it more expensive will make less people drive. It is still the least efficient out of any mode you can choose. Also the least safe.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] IF it takes him over a minute to respond to a question coherently that's pretty sad.

You have no idea what the question was. :? If it was a fairly complex question about healthcare legislation (and he was clearly talking about healthcare) i'd be quite happy if he spoke for over a minute. You're really reaching with this. The video doesn't show a thing relating to his ability to give a speech and does nothing at all to back up your assertion that he does not write them because he cannot remember them.

IT was at a town hall meeting, how complex can the question be? He didn't even start answering it in the time allotted in the video.

I think it's safe to conclude by now that you just hate Obama for any reason that you can find.
p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 p2250
Member since 2003 • 1520 Posts

Obama only got elected because he's black.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="airshocker"]

No, as I said earlier, making it more expensive will make less people drive. It is still the least efficient out of any mode you can choose. Also the least safe.

So should those of us in the rural areas become victims and have to pay $7 for a gallon of gas just because of where we happen to live? How does that sound fair to you?
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 Engrish_Major
Wouldn't it be safe to say that every little bit would help?jalexbrown
Yes. But I don't advocate that everyone trade their car in for a hybrid (which would be bad for the environment as well in all of the new cars that would have to be produced). I advocate keeping your existing car but driving less.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 Snipes_2

p2250
He won on Electoral votes too :( Not even the popular vote.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 jalexbrown

p2250
This won't end well...
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]

Cap and trade has been nothing short of an utter failure in Europe.

It worked just fine under Bush Sr.

You didn't even read the article. Europe has a system in place which is like the one many want to bring over here. Then again it looks like cap and trade is going to stay dead in this country. No reason to argue about it.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] You have no idea what the question was. :? If it was a fairly complex question about healthcare legislation (and he was clearly talking about healthcare) i'd be quite happy if he spoke for over a minute. You're really reaching with this. The video doesn't show a thing relating to his ability to give a speech and does nothing at all to back up your assertion that he does not write them because he cannot remember them.

I think it's safe to conclude by now that you just hate Obama for any reason that you can find.

No, Not any reason. In a thread about his gun laws I didn't post anything negative :) Although, That wasn't Obama's doing...:lol:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

No, as I said earlier, making it more expensive will make less people drive. It is still the least efficient out of any mode you can choose. Also the least safe.Engrish_Major

No it won't. People will always have to drive. For people who live in the city, it's all well and good(Well, that's debatable, the MTA blows). But for people in the suburbs and in rural areas, they need to drive.

It seems like you have no idea that there is an entire country outside of NYC.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#216 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] I posted more than one video...I believe "Why can't he remember anything without a prompter" and then posting something where he messes up without a prompter is sufficient proof.

So you submit that the first video is not proof of anything? Could we not have just agreed on that in the first place? :P In the second one he goes AHEAD of the teleprompter, so even that fails to back up your assertion that he cannot remember his speeches. He clearly CAN remember them if he's giving his speech faster than it is being scrolled on the teleprompter. He does indeed hit a glitch however and finds he has gone too far and needs them to speed the teleprompter up to catch up to where he is at. Everyone makes mistakes. Bush used a teleprompter, and someone wanting to make him look bad could easily google a youtube video of him messing up a speech. For people giving speeches every single day i do not think this is an issue, and your ability to find a single YouTube video in which Obama makes a very brief, very minor error in one speech is by no means proof at all that he is utterly incapable of speaking without a teleprompter. He even pledged to reduce the amount of times he uses the prompter and indeed has, now only using it a major speeches. Which is perfectly reasonable. Furthermore, the fact that some feel that 'he reads from a teleprompter' is in any way a major criticism (seeing as prior presidents did the same, and practically all public speaking uses them nowadays) really goes to show how little there is of substance to criticise his presidency right now.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"] Wouldn't it be safe to say that every little bit would help?Engrish_Major
Yes. But I don't advocate that everyone trade their car in for a hybrid (which would be bad for the environment as well in all of the new cars that would have to be produced). I advocate keeping your existing car but driving less.

I'm not following your logic. How would everyone switching to hybrids be bad for the environment?
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Engrish_Major
So should those of us in the rural areas become victims and have to pay $7 for a gallon of gas just because of where we happen to live? How does that sound fair to you?jalexbrown
It is a long-term societal change. Before the 50s, most people lived quite close to their jobs. It wasn't until the rapid expansion of the highway system that people thought living 30 miles away from work was a good idea. And, since gas is getting more expensive, and we are realizing the societal and health costs associated with our habits, people are starting to change their ways finally. Many US cities are starting to see their first gain in population in decades.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Engrish_Major
I'm not following your logic. How would everyone switching to hybrids be bad for the environment?jalexbrown
The mining for materials and production of a car is not quite earth-friendly.
T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#220 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts

[QUOTE="p2250"]

Snipes_2

Yes, he did. (second page)

He won on both.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

Engrish_Major

People don't choose to drive cars because they think it's efficient, they do it because they like the freedom that comes with driving a car.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] I posted more than one video...I believe "Why can't he remember anything without a prompter" and then posting something where he messes up without a prompter is sufficient proof.

So you submit that the first video is not proof of anything? Could we not have just agreed on that in the first place? :P In the second one he goes AHEAD of the teleprompter, so even that fails to back up your assertion that he cannot remember his speeches. He clearly CAN remember them if he's giving his speech faster than it is being scrolled on the teleprompter. He does indeed hit a glitch however and finds he has gone too far and needs them to speed the teleprompter up to catch up to where he is at. Everyone makes mistakes. Bush used a teleprompter, and someone wanting to make him look bad could easily google a youtube video of him messing up a speech. For people giving speeches every single day i do not think this is an issue, and your ability to find a single YouTube video in which Obama makes a very brief, very minor error in one speech is by no means proof at all that he is utterly incapable of speaking without a teleprompter. He even pledged to reduce the amount of times he uses the prompter and indeed has, now only using it a major speeches. Which is perfectly reasonable. Furthermore, the fact that some feel that 'he reads from a teleprompter' is in any way a major criticism (seeing as prior presidents did the same, and practically all public speaking uses them nowadays) really goes to show how little there is of substance to criticise his presidency right now.

I said he can't remember anything without a prompter. That video backs up that claim, and the other video of him reading before the prompter does as well. HE literally told the people to back it up and he waited until they got back on track. IF he had anything memorized why would he do that?
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts

[QUOTE="p2250"]

Snipes_2

Obama had both the popular and the electoral votes.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Ninja-Hippo
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] IT was at a town hall meeting, how complex can the question be? He didn't even start answering it in the time allotted in the video.

He's even mid-sentence when your video begins. Like i said, you have no idea what the question was, whether it was a number of questions fielded at once, how long he'd been talking about it before the video started or how long he goes onto to talk about it after it ends. This is just reaching. Literally zero conclusions can be drawn from that video at all, other than the fact that the uploader doesn't know what they're talking about as they claim Obama fails when his teleprompter breaks when there is in fact no teleprompter and no speech being given.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Engrish_Major
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

No it won't. People will always have to drive. For people who live in the city, it's all well and good(Well, that's debatable, the MTA blows). But for people in the suburbs and in rural areas, they need to drive.

It seems like you have no idea that there is an entire country outside of NYC.

I stated that public transit commuting share increases drastically when gas prices rise. And most people in this country live near urban areas.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] IT was at a town hall meeting, how complex can the question be? He didn't even start answering it in the time allotted in the video.

He's even mid-sentence when your video begins. Like i said, you have no idea what the question was, whether it was a number of questions fielded at once, how long he'd been talking about it before the video started or how long he goes onto to talk about it after it ends. This is just reaching. Literally zero conclusions can be drawn from that video at all, other than the fact that the uploader doesn't know what they're talking about as they claim Obama fails when his teleprompter breaks when there is in fact no teleprompter and no speech being given.

He stumbles for over a minute without the prompter...That's not exactly "Pro Speech Skills".
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Ninja-Hippo
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] I said he can't remember anything without a prompter. That video backs up that claim, and the other video of him reading before the prompter does as well. HE literally told the people to back it up and he waited until they got back on track. IF he had anything memorized why would he do that?

1) He wouldn't memorize an entire speech off by heart. No President has done this for the last decade. Bush used a teleprompter. 2) He was clearly very familiar with the speech and had a decent chunk of it in his head because he read AHEAD of the teleprompter. 3) The first video does not prove your first sentence 'he cant remember anything without a prompter' as it does not feature anything at all in which he fails to remember something. 4) Like i said, you can find any video on YouTube of another President making a very minor error if you wanted to make them look bad. It proves nothing.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]So should those of us in the rural areas become victims and have to pay $7 for a gallon of gas just because of where we happen to live? How does that sound fair to you?Engrish_Major
It is a long-term societal change. Before the 50s, most people lived quite close to their jobs. It wasn't until the rapid expansion of the highway system that people thought living 30 miles away from work was a good idea. And, since gas is getting more expensive, and we are realizing the societal and health costs associated with our habits, people are starting to change their ways finally. Many US cities are starting to see their first gain in population in decades.

So basically you're saying to hell with rural areas along with anyone that lives there? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth - just trying to understand your position.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Obama is surprassing Reagan, expect outrage from quite a few people.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

How can they grade someone before they're done with their presidency?

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]I'm not following your logic. How would everyone switching to hybrids be bad for the environment?Engrish_Major
The mining for materials and production of a car is not quite earth-friendly.

Basically humanities mere existence harms the environment...?
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Engrish_Major
So basically you're saying to hell with rural areas along with anyone that lives there? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth - just trying to understand your position.jalexbrown
I'm saying that the negatives and societal costs from cheap gas outweigh the positives.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Engrish_Major
Basically humanities mere existence harms the environment...?Xx_Hopeless_xX
Yes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 deactivated-59d151f079814

FDR at number one? How the hell can you put a President that signed off on internment camps for American citizens at the top of the list?Theokhoth

Hmm have you actually looked at some of the other presidents? Andrew Jackson ranked 14th signed the Indian Removal Act which led to the Trail of Tears.

jks22112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#235 jks22112
Member since 2005 • 2395 Posts
It's SCARY to see the amount of ill informed people in this country eating out of Fox News' hand. The PolitiFact site somebody brought up before is a very good way to see what is truth and what is outright lie. And these people are scholars of presidents. It's their jobs, their lives to study presidents and history. I think they know what they're talking about.Not that we can't debate any of it, but the places should all be close to what they are. I know, Glen Beck told you Obama is doing nothing at all but going on vacations and ignoring the "will" of the american people. But believe me, he made that up. And Reagan isn't the god the conservative party makes him out to be. William Henry Harrison a president who died 31 days into his presidency is ranked above George W. Bush. I find that just great.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 Engrish_Major
William Henry Harrison a president who died 31 days into his presidency is ranked above George W. Bush. I find that just great. jks22112
:lol: Ahaha! I didn't notice that!!
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Xx_Hopeless_xX
[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]Basically humanities mere existence harms the environment...?Engrish_Major
Yes.

Well, as i've said...those who are so worried about the environment have the capacity to do something about it..if it REALLY matters to them that much...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="p2250"]

Snipes_2

Actually he won on the popular vote, and suggesting that he won because he is black.. I can then claim that people voted against him because he was black... Minorities such as the black population has always been overwhelmingly democrat for the past few decades.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] I said he can't remember anything without a prompter. That video backs up that claim, and the other video of him reading before the prompter does as well. HE literally told the people to back it up and he waited until they got back on track. IF he had anything memorized why would he do that?

1) He wouldn't memorize an entire speech off by heart. No President has done this for the last decade. Bush used a teleprompter. 2) He was clearly very familiar with the speech and had a decent chunk of it in his head because he read AHEAD of the teleprompter. 3) The first video does not prove your first sentence 'he cant remember anything without a prompter' as it does not feature anything at all in which he fails to remember something. 4) Like i said, you can find any video on YouTube of another President making a very minor error if you wanted to make them look bad. It proves nothing.

Reading ahead doesn't mean he had it memorized..It means he lost his place and went ahead. HE bumbles for over a minute, not addressing anything.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]So basically you're saying to hell with rural areas along with anyone that lives there? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth - just trying to understand your position.Engrish_Major
I'm saying that the negatives and societal costs from cheap gas outweigh the positives.

That's kind of dodging the question isn't it? You're not at all taking into account rural America or the people that live there. You're backing up a policy that helps people in urban areas at the expense of people in rural areas - and then you claim to care about the environment even though urban areas clearly pose a much larger threat to the environment than rural areas. This is clearly advocating socioeconomic superiority.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Engrish_Major
Well, as i've said...those who are so worried about the environment have the capacity to do something about it..if it REALLY matters to them that much...Xx_Hopeless_xX
Well, I've changed my lifestyle in more ways than one. I don't tend to preach in most circumstances, but given the correct forum, I will.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 jalexbrown

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="p2250"]

sSubZerOo

Actually he won on the popular vote, and suggesting that he won because he is black.. I can then claim that people voted against him because he was black... Minorities such as the black population has always been overwhelmingly democrat for the past few decades.

To be honest I'd say the converse is much more true. There are probably many more people that voted against Obama for his race over people that voted for him because of his race.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]Well, as i've said...those who are so worried about the environment have the capacity to do something about it..if it REALLY matters to them that much...Engrish_Major
Well, I've changed my lifestyle in more ways than one. I don't tend to preach in most circumstances, but given the correct forum, I will.

I'm talking about the people that preach and such..the ones that are so worried about the environment..if the human race is so detrimental to the earth and these people care so much about their cause then really...they can help solve the problem..

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 Engrish_Major
That's kind of dodging the question isn't it? You're not at all taking into account rural America or the people that live there. You're backing up a policy that helps people in urban areas at the expense of people in rural areas - and then you claim to care about the environment even though urban areas clearly pose a much larger threat to the environment than rural areas. This is clearly advocating socioeconomic superiority.jalexbrown
I'm advocating that people live closer to their jobs and retail/recreation, etc... that's how it was for a very long time, before highways were common. Who argued for the neighborhoods in most every US city that were destroyed in order to build highways from the 50s-70s? And, per capita, cities are much more environmentally-friendly than suburban and rural areas. Our individual footprints are much smaller.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Ninja-Hippo
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] Reading ahead doesn't mean he had it memorized..It means he lost his place and went ahead. HE bumbles for over a minute, not addressing anything.

How can you read something which isn't there? :| He got ahead of himself and had to have them move the teleprompter to catch up with him. Further, he does not just 'bumble' for over a minute but is clearly making a point about the cost of minor things like asthma. He says breathalyzer by mistake, corrects himself to inhaler and apologizes, making a joke that he hasn't had much sleep, and later only stops because audience people are yelling stuff out. Reaching. If you seriously thing two tiny videos like that mean Obama is a bad orator you must think every President to come before him were absolutely dreadful, surely?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#246 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

He won on Electoral votes too :( Not even the popular vote. Snipes_2

Wait, what? That was George W. Bush. Obama won the highest percentage in the popular vote of any president since 1988.

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#247 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

Ehh, it's a bit premature to already be placing him in a list of best presidents. He's been in office for barely 2 years forcrying out loud.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] Reading ahead doesn't mean he had it memorized..It means he lost his place and went ahead. HE bumbles for over a minute, not addressing anything.

How can you read something which isn't there? :| He got ahead of himself and had to have them move the teleprompter to catch up with him. Further, he does not just 'bumble' for over a minute but is clearly making a point about the cost of minor things like asthma. He says breathalyzer by mistake, corrects himself to inhaler and apologizes, making a joke that he hasn't had much sleep, and later only stops because audience people are yelling stuff out. Reaching. If you seriously thing two tiny videos like that mean Obama is a bad orator you must think every President to come before him were absolutely dreadful, surely?

How do you know it wasn't there? He may have skipped a part on the prompter and gone ahead? He is bumbling, how can you see it any other way, he continues to trip over himself throughout the clip.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]He won on Electoral votes too :( Not even the popular vote. GabuEx

Wait, what? That was George W. Bush. Obama won the highest percentage in the popular vote of any president since 1988.

Lol, Wow. You guys must be lurking these threads just waiting to catch a mistake :lol: You're right, I messed up.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"] That's kind of dodging the question isn't it? You're not at all taking into account rural America or the people that live there. You're backing up a policy that helps people in urban areas at the expense of people in rural areas - and then you claim to care about the environment even though urban areas clearly pose a much larger threat to the environment than rural areas. This is clearly advocating socioeconomic superiority.Engrish_Major
I'm advocating that people live closer to their jobs and retail/recreation, etc... that's how it was for a very long time, before highways were common. Who argued for the neighborhoods in most every US city that were destroyed in order to build highways from the 50s-70s? And, per capita, cities are much more environmentally-friendly than suburban and rural areas. Our individual footprints are much smaller.

Before highways were common, the car industry was just a fraction of what it is today. Of course people lived closer to things. That's just logical. To me this sounds like one of those "In the good ol' days" arguments.