More than a dozen states want to secede from the U.S

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LegitGamer3212
Member since 2008 • 1619 Posts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/12/secession-petition-white-house_n_2116620.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D233624

"Residents in more than a dozen states across the country havefiledsecessionpetitions to the Obama administration's "We the People" program, which is featured on the White House website."

"...Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and institute new Government..."

What's your opinion about this? will they successfully secede and separate from the U.S or is it just non sense?

This is what the lone star state Texas, said.

"The US continues to suffer economic difficulties stemming from the federal government's neglect to reform domestic and foreign spending. The citizens of the US suffer from blatant abuses of their rights such as the NDAA, the TSA, etc. Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget and is the 15th largest economy in the world, it is practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union, and to do so would protect it's citizens' standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers which are no longer being reflected by the federal government."

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

They may try.

But they shall fail.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#3 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

I doubt it may happen. At least any time soon.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

It happens all the time, especially by butthurt citizens who hate the opposition. The US government is required to respond, but they would never allow secession again.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Not really sure why these states would want to secede, they'd be pretty mediocre countries if isolated from the US.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Ehh, a modern day American Civil War wouldn't be as interesting as the last one.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
Your title is wrong. States don't want to secede, stupid people in said states want to secede. Not until the majority of people in the state want to secede can you say that the entire state wants to secede.
Avatar image for deactivated-59921cb703b3a
deactivated-59921cb703b3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-59921cb703b3a
Member since 2012 • 353 Posts

Not really sure why these states would want to secede, they'd be pretty mediocre countries if isolated from the US.chessmaster1989

I'm not sure if secession = isolation.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Yeah, this has the same likelihood of happening as Mayan Dooms day.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

I think it's about time Obama honors that website.

BatCrazedJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BatCrazedJoker
Member since 2012 • 1611 Posts
This could end badly.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#12 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Your title is wrong. States don't want to secede, stupid people in said states want to secede. Not until the majority of people in the state want to secede can you say that the entire state wants to secede.Toxic-Seahorse

I think it takes about 5 signatures to secede from the US.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts
If they hate the USA, they are more than welcome to move to Canada or Mexico.
Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

Your title is wrong. States don't want to secede, stupid people in said states want to secede. Not until the majority of people in the state want to secede can you say that the entire state wants to secede.Toxic-Seahorse

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

American Civil War II!

Well I can understand Colordo. I mean, they just want to smoke pot so fvck the feds. :P

LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LegitGamer3212
Member since 2008 • 1619 Posts

According to the the program "We the people", a majority of people do want to secede.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts
The sensationalized title + huffington post link combo has gone on for too long.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#18 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]Your title is wrong. States don't want to secede, stupid people in said states want to secede. Not until the majority of people in the state want to secede can you say that the entire state wants to secede.LegitGamer3212

According to the the program "We the people", a majority of people do want to secede.

1,400 is a majority vote in california because the rest of the people are fake plastic actors.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

- its a petition by people, not the actual states

- most of them on the list are from the deep south. Nothing of value would really be lost except disney world

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Netherscourge
I'd love to see how these states would survive without any federal support whatsoever.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

utter nonsense and its just people being butt hurt quite frankly. I mean they dont like they way things are now? yeah pull out from the US and see how much better things get for them.

Avatar image for deactivated-59921cb703b3a
deactivated-59921cb703b3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-59921cb703b3a
Member since 2012 • 353 Posts

I'd love to see how these states would survive without any federal support whatsoever.Netherscourge

The federal goverment is funded in part by taxpayers in those states. It's not a magical entity that blesses people with stuff that came out of no where. The question you should be asking is how the federal goverment would survive without those states.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Finally Texas will be free , free to fulfill it's destiny .......of becoming the death star........mauhahaha

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#24 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
Topic title is misleading. The state governments have nothing to do with this, it's just some random rednecks on the internet.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

If they hate the USA, they are more than welcome to move to Canada or Mexico.Netherscourge
Yeah, if they don't like America then they can giiit out.

I'd love to see how these states would survive without any federal support whatsoever.Netherscourge
Federal support comes from tax revenues. Tax revenues come from taxpayers. As long as people live in those states, there will be a source of money for state funding, though I hope that any state going to the trouble of seceding would actually incorporate a voluntary taxation system. If they're going to establish a new government, they might as well do it right.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#26 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

LegitGamer3212

"The "We the People" program allows anyone 13 or older to create or sign an online petition"

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]I'd love to see how these states would survive without any federal support whatsoever.Neoklondiak

The federal goverment is funded in part by taxpayers in those states. It's not a magical entity that blesses people with stuff that came out of no where. The question you should be asking is how the federal goverment would survive without those states.

While this could be true, also think about how some states benefit from other state's taxes. I don't have any updated numbers, but I don't think they have changed to much in the last 7 years: http://taxfoundation.org/article/federal-taxes-paid-vs-federal-spending-received-state-1981-2005

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#28 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

[QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

GamerForca

"The "We the People" program allows anyone 13 or older to create or sign an online petition"

Sounds like this board is the place to be then.
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Netherscourge

[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]If they hate the USA, they are more than welcome to move to Canada or Mexico.Laihendi

Yeah, if they don't like America then they can giiit out.

Federal support comes from tax revenues. Tax revenues come from taxpayers. As long as people live in those states, there will be a source of money for state funding, though I hope that any state going to the trouble of seceding would actually incorporate a voluntary taxation system. If they're going to establish a new government, they might as well do it right.

How is Texas gonna man their borders, close off off illegal immigrants and fight Mexican Drug Cartels without the FBI, US Border Patrol and CIA? BTW - if this means the end of the Dallas Cowboys in the NFL, I support it 100%
mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 mattisgod01
Member since 2005 • 3476 Posts

Democracy, If the guy you vote for doesn't win secede.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Neoklondiak"]

[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]I'd love to see how these states would survive without any federal support whatsoever.Zlurodirom

While this could be true, also think about how some states benefit from other state's taxes. I don't have any updated numbers, but I don't think they have changed to much in the last 7 years: http://taxfoundation.org/article/federal-taxes-paid-vs-federal-spending-received-state-1981-2005

Stopping wealth distribution between states by the federal government would be a good thing, regardless of which states are better/worse off.
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#32 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

If they hate the USA, they are more than welcome to move to Canada or Mexico.Netherscourge

We don't want them in Canada. Maybe China will take them.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Laihendi

How is Texas gonna man their borders, close off off illegal immigrants and fight Mexican Drug Cartels without the FBI, US Border Patrol and CIA?Netherscourge
Open borders and end the drug war.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

[QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

GamerForca

Sums up the entire "secession movement." :P
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
Its not the state its some residents in each states. Its not going to happen lol
Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zlurodirom

[QUOTE="Zlurodirom"]

[QUOTE="Neoklondiak"]

Laihendi

Stopping wealth distribution between states by the federal government would be a good thing, regardless of which states are better/worse off.

Depends on what your definition of wealth distribution is. Safety nets are not a bad idea as far as I'm concerned.

Also it's funny that those states who benefit the most from "wealth distribution" are classic red states who seem to be against it, as far as I know.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I don't see how these states can choose to secede when the DNC won them during the election:

Colorado

Florida

Michigan

New Jersey

New york

Oregon

The people there who wish to secede will have to move out then.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
The South shall rise again!
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I don't see how these states can choose to secede when the DNC won them during the election:

Colorado

Florida

Michigan

New Jersey

New york

Oregon

jun_aka_pekto

If you believe the vote tallies.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
What a bunch of whiny, sore losers.
Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zlurodirom

Colorado

Florida

Michigan

New Jersey

New york

Oregon

jun_aka_pekto

Because as others have said, it is based on individuals who have signed petitions. >25,000 people do not represent states of millions.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

Colorado

Florida

Michigan

New Jersey

New York

Oregon

hartsickdiscipl

What else is there? Are the tallies being contested still? The last three seem to be Democrat strongholds anyway. I'm not sure about Colorado and Michigan. But, Florida was the surprise to me. I always thought of Florida as a Republican stronghold.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

Colorado

Florida

Michigan

New Jersey

New York

Oregon

jun_aka_pekto

What else is there? Are the tallies being contested still? The last three seem to be Democrat strongholds anyway. I'm not sure about Colorado and Michigan. But, Florida was the surprise to me. I always thought of Florida as a Republican stronghold.

Aliens.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

You mean deranged people in 12 states want to secede.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

You mean deranged people in 12 states want to secede.

Wasdie
All of them should unite. Send them to an underwater city of sorts.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

It would be a bad idea for any state to secede.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="Zlurodirom"]

Zlurodirom

Depends on what your definition of wealth distribution is. Safety nets are not a bad idea as far as I'm concerned.

Also it's funny that those states who benefit the most from "wealth distribution" are classic red states who seem to be against it, as far as I know.

Safety nets are a great idea, and nothing should stop people from buying insurance for themselves so they have one. That's not really relevant to the issue of coercive wealth redistribution though.
SilentFireX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SilentFireX
Member since 2005 • 1956 Posts
Everyone is blowing the secession petition out of proportion, lol. It's got just over 50,000 signatures, many of which are from people outside of Texas. That's about the population of a small city.
Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Zlurodirom

[QUOTE="Zlurodirom"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] Stopping wealth distribution between states by the federal government would be a good thing, regardless of which states are better/worse off.Laihendi

Safety nets are a great idea, and nothing should stop people from buying insurance for themselves so they have one. That's not really relevant to the issue of coercive wealth redistribution though.

Which is why I said it depends on someone's definition of wealth distribution. I would consider social safety nets wealth distribution, but have no problem with that. While others may not, or don't like these practices. We cant have a proper debate unless we define the specific terms (which may have multiple interpretations) we are using.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Yep, there's crazy people all over. In other news, residents across every state occasionally wipe poo on themselves.