Kanye's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Album of the Year?!

• 167 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

go_mets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 go_mets
Member since 2010 • 60 Posts
Kanye's album drops tmrw and as a big fan im excited! Kanye does not disappoint with MBDTF. Critics are LOVING it! 100% so far on metacritic. You can think whatever you want about the guy but its official. The man makes damn good music. I think every hip hop/pop fan should give this a listen, its very enjoyable to listen too. Please dont let his personal life get in the way. Deff buy for tmrw. So does it have a chance for album of the year? Rolling Stone - 5 stars http://www.rollingstone.com/music/reviews/album/45342/232350 Pitchfork Media - 10/10 http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14880-my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy/ Spin - 9/10 http://www.spin.com/reviews/kanye-west-my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy-roc-fella Sputnikmusic - 4.5/5 http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/40192/Kanye-West-My-Beautiful-Dark-Twisted-Fantasy/
slick360ster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 slick360ster
Member since 2007 • 328 Posts

We will see, I have very high hopes for it, but have hardly heard it. Just got it off Amazon mp3 this morningfor .99 cents after a $3 off promo code they had. (Cant believe it was only 3.99 regularly)

Avatar image for Mr_Anderson1817
Mr_Anderson1817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mr_Anderson1817
Member since 2009 • 479 Posts

YES!

I was disappointed by Kid Cudi's album, but Kanye's blew me away!

I like almost every song and it's refreshing to see that his songs don't all fit into the usual 3-4 minute range. They go on forever.

FAvorite lyrics so far:

"too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low" lol

quetzalcoatI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 quetzalcoatI
Member since 2010 • 627 Posts

I haven't listened to much of it yet (I will), but I did not like monster. Thankfully, I heard that was the worst song on the album. Also, Rolling Stone is crap. Lastly, Pitchfork spent more time in their review talking about the connections between michael jackson and Kanye than they did on the album...

Avatar image for Mr_Anderson1817
Mr_Anderson1817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mr_Anderson1817
Member since 2009 • 479 Posts

I haven't listened to much of it yet (I will), but I did not like monster. Thankfully, I heard that was the worst song on the album. Also, Rolling Stone is crap. Lastly, Pitchfork spent more time in their review talking about the connections between michael jackson and Kanye than they did on the album...

quetzalcoatI

Yeah "Monster" and "So Appalled" are my least favorite on the album. Like 10 'featuring' ppl just trying to be hardcore. "Hell of a life" is another bad one, just annoying autotune..

go_mets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 go_mets
Member since 2010 • 60 Posts
that vocorder solo on runaway. that could go on forever.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33425 Posts
Depeding on what you think of it, go_mets!
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

i know it just came out and i need to listen to it a few more times, but so far it is my album of the year BAR NONE. no matter what you think of the guy, douchebag or not, kanye knows how to make beautiful music. so far i'm blown away by this record, west is one of the few artists out there whose albums get better with every release (excluding heartbreaks, even though it was a bold move and had some great songs on it). haters are surely going to hate but fact is mr. west done did it again...

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Just got it in the mail, halfway into it now and so far this album's really good. I'll have to give it a few more listens before I decide if I like it more than Kno's Death is Silent though.

Gallego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Gallego
Member since 2003 • 19446 Posts
eh I was listening to the album and its not so bad, still, there are way better artist out there, unfortunately outside of mainstream.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

its an awesome album, i like most of all the songs on it also, thats a rarity, good job kanye

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lazerface216

eh I was listening to the album and its not so bad, still, there are way better artist out there, unfortunately outside of mainstream.Gallego

why unfortunately? i'm sure most independent artists prefer it that way.

kanye is one of the very few last glimmers of hope in mainstream music but he also transcends all those underground vs. radio bull**** arguments. any true fan of hip hop can at least respect what the guy accomplishes in the studio.

C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts
I'm loving it, thats for sure.
Easports48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Easports48
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts
I'll be getting it. Not the biggest KW fan in the u.s.a but I am a fan of good music...
CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 CrimzonTide
Member since 2007 • 12187 Posts
It's got some absolute gems (Dark Fantasy, Runaway, All of the Lights, Lost in the World) and some boring, pretentious pieces of crap (Monster, Gorgeous, So Appalled). Still, definitely worth a purchase.
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lazerface216

It's got some absolute gems (Dark Fantasy, Runaway, All of the Lights, Lost in the World) and some boring, pretentious pieces of crap (Monster, Gorgeous, So Appalled). Still, definitely worth a purchase.CrimzonTide

i can maybe see monster but what's so pretentious about gorgeous and so appalled? is it all the guests? i don't get it...

CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 CrimzonTide
Member since 2007 • 12187 Posts
i can maybe see monster but what's so pretentious about gorgeous and so appalled? is it all the guests? i don't get it...lazerface216
Because Kanye tries, and can get away with having such a pathetically small part in his own song. They rely very, very heavily on other people. To be honest, the whole album is like that, I just like some songs a lot more than others. But really, it's a Kanye and friends album, not a Kanye album.
Avatar image for SuprmanLuvHandl
SuprmanLuvHandl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SuprmanLuvHandl
Member since 2010 • 989 Posts

that vocorder solo on runaway. that could go on forever. go_mets

That part took over 2 minutes. It's like when you buy a new fan then stand in front of it making noises:lol:

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]i can maybe see monster but what's so pretentious about gorgeous and so appalled? is it all the guests? i don't get it...CrimzonTide
Because Kanye tries, and can get away with having such a pathetically small part in his own song. They rely very, very heavily on other people. To be honest, the whole album is like that, I just like some songs a lot more than others. But really, it's a Kanye and friends album, not a Kanye album.

lol i see what you are saying but that's only on a few tracks. it definitely feels like a kanye record, at least to me. he does rely on his friends to a certain degree, but he relies even more on his production and the atmosphere he's trying to create. i LOVE the songs where he somewhat takes a backseat and lets the music do the talking, and you see him doing that a lot more on this album. lol that's definitely a good thing too IMO, we all know kanye is not the most gifted MC.

i still don't see how he's being pretentious on those particular songs, especially gorgeous. he lays down most of the verses on that song, and raekwon finishes it off.*shrugs* i don't know, it sounds good to me...

AL_GREEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AL_GREEN
Member since 2010 • 953 Posts
Yes definitely but it's common knowledge that discussing rap music in OT is a waste of time.
Paramorexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Paramorexx
Member since 2010 • 247 Posts
No. Danger Days is the "album of the year." Haha!! Jk. Well.... At least in my opinion it is. :/
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lazerface216

Yes definitely but it's common knowledge that discussing rap music in OT is a waste of time.AL_GREEN

we can change that.

AL_GREEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AL_GREEN
Member since 2010 • 953 Posts

[QUOTE="AL_GREEN"]Yes definitely but it's common knowledge that discussing rap music in OT is a waste of time.lazerface216

we can change that.

Not enough people know what they are talking about here. And there are too many metalheads that always love to flood the thread with "rap sucks" messages... It never ends well.
vaultboy_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 vaultboy_ninja
Member since 2009 • 2684 Posts

lol no.

theycallmeRP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 theycallmeRP
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts

Haven't bought it yet, but I will as soon as I have some spare cash. Glad to hear it's getting good reviews though. Kanye at his best makes great amazing music.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JML897

lol no.

vaultboy_ninja

I don't really see why it's funny...it's not a stupid question to ask considering it's the best reviewed album of the year so far (mainstream or otherwise)

vaultboy_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 vaultboy_ninja
Member since 2009 • 2684 Posts

[QUOTE="vaultboy_ninja"]

lol no.

JML897

I don't really see why it's funny...it's not a stupid question to ask considering it's the best reviewed album of the year so far (mainstream or otherwise)

I still don't think it's good, no matter what the reviewers say.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lazerface216

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="vaultboy_ninja"]

lol no.

vaultboy_ninja

I still don't think it's good, no matter what the reviewers say.

obviously you have different taste.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

I'll have to take a listen, I hated 808's. Glad to see he's back on his music game.

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
kanye is something special
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

[QUOTE="vaultboy_ninja"]

lol no.

JML897

Well, a lot of those reviewers don't exactly take into account non-mainstream, and Metacritic doesn't even have any really underground artists in their database. ;) I'm sure I'll end up hearing the new Kanye at some party somewhere, so I might as well look it up on Youtube to get a feel for it.
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="AL_GREEN"]Yes definitely but it's common knowledge that discussing rap music in OT is a waste of time.AL_GREEN

we can change that.

Not enough people know what they are talking about here. And there are too many metalheads that always love to flood the thread with "rap sucks" messages... It never ends well.

i don't think OT's all like that, it's not that far behind the times. there are decent amount of hip hop fans on this board that know what they are talking about.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lazerface216

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="vaultboy_ninja"]

lol no.

Saturos3091

Well, a lot of those reviewers don't exactly take into account non-mainstream, and Metacritic doesn't even have any really underground artists in their database. ;) I'm sure I'll end up hearing the new Kanye at some party somewhere, so I might as well look it up on Youtube to get a feel for it.

lol pitchfork definitely takes into account the non-mainstream....to ridiculous heights actually. most independent music sites are praising this record too. give it a listen, if you appreciate hip hop in the slightest i'm pretty sure you'll hear something you like.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JML897

Well, a lot of those reviewers don't exactly take into account non-mainstream, and Metacritic doesn't even have any really underground artists in their database. ;) Saturos3091

Even so...I think it'd be hard for you to find an album released this year with better reviews than this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Beautiful_Dark_Twisted_Fantasy#Critical_response

Just so I'm clear -- I'm not saying this should be everyone's favorite album or even that everybody should like it. That would be stupid; I know people have different tastes. I just have a feeling some people here in OT will write this off as garbage without listening to it.

Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts

Because Kanye tries, and can get away with having such a pathetically small part in his own song. They rely very, very heavily on other people. To be honest, the whole album is like that, I just like some songs a lot more than others. But really, it's a Kanye and friends album, not a Kanye album.CrimzonTide

That's like the worst excuse to not like a song. Kanye West produced "So Appalled" so you're listening to something Kanye had a part in for the entire length of the song.

I remember back on Ghostface Killah's "Assassination Day" from his album Ironman, he doesn't even have a verse on his own song. RZA produced it with verses from Inspectah Deck, RZA, Raekwon & Masta Killa. I don't remember anyone nitpicking about that lol.

Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts

lol pitchfork definitely takes into account the non-mainstream....to ridiculous heights actually. most independent music sites are praising this record too. give it a listen, if you appreciate hip hop in the slightest i'm pretty sure you'll hear something you like.

lazerface216

They do to a certain extent. There's a lot of hip-hop albums that I liked this year that Pitchfork has yet to review, for instance Tyler the Creator's album Bastard. And I know Tom Breihan, one of Pitchfork's main hip-hop writers, even called it one of his 10 favorite albums of the year so far on his tumblr page.

Pitchfork did give Tyler the Creator's Odd Future crew a rather lengthy and praiseworthy feature the other month though. And Tom Breihan just gave fellow Odd Future crew members Mellowhype an 8.1 for their new albumlast week. But the Odd Future camp has 3 other albums (Tyler the Creator - Bastard, Earl Sweatshirt- EARL, Domo Genesis - Rolling Papers) that you could rightfully assume would score better than that on Pitchfork, yet haven't been reviewed.

PerfectCircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PerfectCircles
Member since 2009 • 2359 Posts
I don't really like rap or hip-hop so I'll pass on this one. I may get bored and listen to it on youtube though just to see what all the hype is about.
artichoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 artichoke
Member since 2006 • 2271 Posts
I've been listening to it and I'm really liking it so far. Might not be my favourite of the year but it's definitely up there at the top of my list.
Luxen90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Luxen90
Member since 2006 • 7427 Posts

I'll have to take a listen, I hated 808's. Glad to see he's back on his music game.

supa_badman
I sometimes feel like I was the only one who didn't hate that album. I actually liked a couple of songs on the album.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JML897

[QUOTE="supa_badman"]

Luxen90

I sometimes feel like I was the only one who didn't hate that album. I actually liked a couple of songs on the album.

I liked a couple songs, but as a whole I thought it was a lot weaker than his other 3 (now 4) albums.

BIG-BOSSMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BIG-BOSSMAN
Member since 2010 • 594 Posts
no, it qualifies for most overrated crap of the year.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

It's pretty damn good, but nowhere near as good as others this year like The National's High Violet, Guy Manning's Charlestown, Deerhunter's Halcyon digest, and Lunatic soul 2.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lazerface216

the only songs i'm not really feeling are runaway and lost in the world. definitely a contender for hip hop album of the year.

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts
lol i didnt even know he has a new album
n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts
Going to be epic.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

It's pretty damn good, but nowhere near as good as others this year like The National's High Violet, Guy Manning's Charlestown, Deerhunter's Halcyon digest, and Lunatic soul 2.

Film-Guy
I think I may be the only person in the world to be a big fan of the genres Deerhunter contributes to, but dislike Deerhunter's catalogue of music (or at best, be indifferent to some of their songs) .
kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

Just picked up the album and its definitely my album of the year.

SmittyPeppers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SmittyPeppers
Member since 2010 • 1569 Posts

It's so different from anything I've heard this year. (Or pretty much ever for that matter).
Definitely album of the year.

Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts

Good god, he's still making albums?

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts

I've heard about a third of the album. Some tracks I think are great and others not so much. Though it does seem to being the best reviewed album of the year. Though some of the reviews do say it has some flaws.