Jesus the Messiah, part God.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 champion837
Member since 2012 • 1423 Posts

My question is for people who believe that Jesus was at least a prophet. I hear some people say that Jesus was a prophet and nothing more. My question to those believers are why do you feel this way, was he not fully explained as not only the messiah but being God as well? Or do you have a case against this?

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Pretty sure they don't believe he was part God at all.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
It's Muslims that believe Jesus is a prophet but not god. They say that the Old and New Testaments are corrupted, and many argue that even in the New Testament, Jesus never actually claimed to be god.
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 champion837

Pretty sure they don't believe he was part God at all.Ace6301

Which is why I am asking the question to those who might feel this way. That is quite obvious.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

lol at the premise

"How can you believe that he was only a prophet?"

As if that's a less reasonable stance to take

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 champion837

lol at the premise

"How can you believe that he wasonlya prophet?"

-Sun_Tzu-
Wtf? Your belief has nothing to do with this topic.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

lol at the premise

champion837

Someone is overly defensive.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
because jesus was a person. but since there are people who don't believe in god, they believe he was just some dude on LSD
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

because jesus was a person. but since there are people who don't believe in god, they believe he was just some dude on LSDmrmusicman247
Pretty much. He was just a Charles Manson minus the killing.

*Actually I don't think Charles actually killed anyone directly.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Because he screwed a whore. How could a god screw a whore? Unless the guy was Dionysus in disguise, that god was a playa.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
Jesus's death had the most amazing marketing team you can imagine behind it. Around 60CE they launched the greatest marketing campaign in history. Being religious, it was also the most compelling.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Oh posthumous apotheosis...
narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

I believe that Jesus Christ is the Messiah, but God is something different. They share a great deal in common, but all in all, God isn't a human. He's an entity larger than any one man being.

brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 brucewayne69
Member since 2012 • 2864 Posts

Because he screwed a whore. How could a god screw a whore? Unless the guy was Dionysus in disguise, that god was a playa.

theone86

Not sure if serious. If you are, how can you make that claim yet not say the Bible is a hot mess?

And to answer the question, never does Jesus actually claim he was the son of God. People called him that, but he never confirmed/denied it. I believe he was, due to the whole ascension/resurrection thing, but yeah.

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 champion837
Oh posthumous apotheosis...Zeviander
Ok. lol Don't know what that means.
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 champion837
Jesus's death had the most amazing marketing team you can imagine behind it. Around 60CE they launched the greatest marketing campaign in history. Being religious, it was also the most compelling. lo_Pine
There is no evidence that he had a marketing team behind him. Unless you can find evidence that there was.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zeviander
Ok. lol Don't know what that means.champion837
www.dictionary.com
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 champion837

[QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

lol at the premise

Jonwh18

Someone is overly defensive.

What he said had nothing to do with the topic, it was just a stab at religion.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lo_Pine
[QUOTE="lo_Pine"]Jesus's death had the most amazing marketing team you can imagine behind it. Around 60CE they launched the greatest marketing campaign in history. Being religious, it was also the most compelling. champion837
There is no evidence that he had a marketing team behind him. Unless you can find evidence that there was.

It wasn't called marketing back then, think they were apostles. But if it wasn't just ancient marketing, then how else did everyone find out about him?
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 champion837
[QUOTE="champion837"]Ok. lol Don't know what that means.Zeviander
www.dictionary.com

Wow. Really? You can't explain what it means? No need to be condescending.
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 champion837
[QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"]Jesus's death had the most amazing marketing team you can imagine behind it. Around 60CE they launched the greatest marketing campaign in history. Being religious, it was also the most compelling. lo_Pine

It wasn't called marketing back then, think they were apostles. But if it wasn't just ancient marketing, then how else did everyone find out about him?

It has to do with people seeing Jesus and the things that he did.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="champion837"] There is no evidence that he had a marketing team behind him. Unless you can find evidence that there was.

There is no evidence that anyone had seen Jesus or any of the things that he did.
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 champion837
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"] It wasn't called marketing back then, think they were apostles. But if it wasn't just ancient marketing, then how else did everyone find out about him?

There is no evidence that anyone had seen Jesus or any of the things that he did.

Yes they did, what you are discussing is whether or not you believe in what the people said that he did.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="champion837"] It has to do with people seeing Jesus and the things that he did.

Yes they did, what you are discussing is whether or not you believe in what the people said that he did.

Show me one contemporary account of Jesus then.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lo_Pine
[QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="champion837"] There is no evidence that he had a marketing team behind him. Unless you can find evidence that there was.

No one saw Jesus in comparison to how many people knew about him within the next couple hundred years. Lines of communication were by face to face word of mouth, no one could read. No one but super elites. Nobody saw Jesus. There were probably only 1000 people if that who even knew who he was in his town at the time of his execution and nearly all those people would continue on with their lives of working the fields getting food, no time to spread Jesus. No one saw Jesus and he really wasn't a big deal when he died until people started to write about him decades later and who could write? Only rich elite people who were in the know, so the spread of Jesus could only have been done by a very tiny percent of the population, very tiny.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zeviander
Wow. Really? You can't explain what it means? No need to be condescending.champion837
Who's condescending? It would take you less time to look up the words than to wait for me to explain them. A posthumous apotheosis is, most simply, given God-status after death.
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 champion837
[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"] It wasn't called marketing back then, think they were apostles. But if it wasn't just ancient marketing, then how else did everyone find out about him?

No one saw Jesus in comparison to how many people knew about him within the next couple hundred years. Lines of communication were by face to face word of mouth, no one could read. No one but super elites. Nobody saw Jesus. There were probably only 1000 people if that who even knew who he was in his town at the time of his execution and nearly all those people would continue on with their lives of working the fields getting food, no time to spread Jesus. No one saw Jesus and he really wasn't a big deal when he died until people started to write about him decades later and who could write? Only rich elite people who were in the know, so the spread of Jesus could only have been done by a very tiny percent of the population, very tiny.

You are free to make another thread about that. This however is not in any way a topic discussing your beliefs or your guesstimates on what occurred. And this marketing scheme you are talking about is something I haven't heard of before, could you please go into detail how this "marketing scheme" was done, or could it have been something that spread like wildfire do to the fact that what he did actually occurred, and people actually believed in the Bible.
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 champion837
[QUOTE="champion837"]Wow. Really? You can't explain what it means? No need to be condescending.Zeviander
Who's condescending? It would take you less time to look up the words than to wait for me to explain them.

You took the time to give me a website of a dictionary instead of telling me what it meant. There was no point to that.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lo_Pine
[QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="champion837"] It has to do with people seeing Jesus and the things that he did.

You are free to make another thread about that. This however is not in any way a topic discussing your beliefs or your guesstimates on what occurred. And this marketing scheme you are talking about is something I haven't heard of before, could you please go into detail how this "marketing scheme" was done, or could it have been something that spread like wildfire do to the fact that what he did actually occurred, and people actually believed in the Bible.

K, but it took marketing to get people to know about Jesus. Too much critical thinking for you.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -Sun_Tzu-
could it have been something that spread like wildfire do to the fact that what he did actually occurred.champion837
So the son of god who was born to a virgin mother is traveling around Judea, walking on water, turning water into wine, and resurrecting the dead, and it didn't occur to anyone seeing this to write down what they saw?
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

He's just a very misunderstood simple desert man

vX3y3wOM90aI4TWV2TVH4w2.jpg

JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JoGoSo
Member since 2012 • 441 Posts

My question is for people who believe that Jesus was at least a prophet. I hear some people say that Jesus was a prophet and nothing more. My question to those believers are why do you feel this way, was he not fully explained as not only the messiah but being God as well? Or do you have a case against this?

champion837
He was more than a prophet but he wasn't YHWH either.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ace6301
[QUOTE="champion837"] could it have been something that spread like wildfire do to the fact that what he did actually occurred.-Sun_Tzu-
So the son of god who was born to a virgin mother is traveling around Judea, walking on water, turning water into wine, and resurrecting the dead, and it didn't occur to anyone seeing this to write down what they saw?

Really seems more like a watering hole conversation than a news article.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

I think he's as real as King Arthur.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Zeviander
You took the time to give me a website of a dictionary instead of telling me what it meant. There was no point to that.champion837
It took less time for me to type the url than it did to type the response. There was a lot of point.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jonwh18

IT: TC makes topic asking about people who disagree with him, then gets upset at people in thread who disagree.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Jesus =/= God Jesus = prophet Jesus = God's son Problem solved.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
I respect Atheists, like I respect every other belief, but may I ask a question. When you die, and if MY belief is true (I believe in a God), you will then meet him. What are you going to say? act? He won't be mad or anything that you didn't believe, but I just wonder what your reaction would be? (this question ISN'T to start a war debate about if God exists or not)
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jonwh18
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I respect Atheists, like I respect every other belief, but may I ask a question. When you die, and if MY belief is true (I believe in a God), you will then meet him. What are you going to say? act? He won't be mad or anything that you didn't believe, but I just wonder what your reaction would be? (this question ISN'T to start a war debate about if God exists or not)

I would say why the hell didn't you prove you existed? All it would have taken was a talking pillar of fire or something once every couple years.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I respect Atheists, like I respect every other belief, but may I ask a question. When you die, and if MY belief is true (I believe in a God), you will then meet him. What are you going to say? act? He won't be mad or anything that you didn't believe, but I just wonder what your reaction would be? (this question ISN'T to start a war debate about if God exists or not) Jonwh18
I would say why the hell didn't you prove you existed? All it would have taken was a talking pillar of fire or something once every couple years.

Fair enough. What if he responds "You weren't supposed to know yet" or "Mankind isn't ready for that knowledge yet"....?

Or even something better to think about, "I have proven I exist in some circunstances, you just didn't see it as that"?

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ace6301
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I respect Atheists, like I respect every other belief, but may I ask a question. When you die, and if MY belief is true (I believe in a God), you will then meet him. What are you going to say? act? He won't be mad or anything that you didn't believe, but I just wonder what your reaction would be? (this question ISN'T to start a war debate about if God exists or not)

Not an Atheist but not a Christian. If he wasn't mad I'd be like "You probably have every idea of how GLAD I am you're a nice God". I presume he'd then chuckle and show me to my room or whatever.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I respect Atheists, like I respect every other belief, but may I ask a question. When you die, and if MY belief is true (I believe in a God), you will then meet him. What are you going to say? act? He won't be mad or anything that you didn't believe, but I just wonder what your reaction would be? (this question ISN'T to start a war debate about if God exists or not) FelipeInside

Fair enough. What if he responds "You weren't supposed to know yet" or "Mankind isn't ready for that knowledge yet"....?

Or even something better to think about, "I have proven I exist in some circunstances, you just didn't see it as that"?

I would say, you should have made it painfully obvious, To the second question. To the first I would say well then what was the point? I'd probably ask him why the world is the crap hole it is.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I'd simply move along as if he's nothing more than a homeless bum on the street whom I might toss a coin at if I have it. I have nothing to say to deadbeat creator because if I did,. I'd have some truly disrespectful words for him. He is equivalent to a stranger on the street as far as I'm concern....
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
No offense, but the idea of Jesus being a God, part God, son of God, God in human form...etc is pretty absurd to me really. It simply does not make any sense whatsoever. Not to mention the "Jesus died for yours sins" thing.
FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
No offense, but the idea of Jesus being a God, part God, son of God, God in human form...etc is pretty absurd to me really. It simply does not make any sense whatsoever. Not to mention the "Jesus died for yours sins" thing.GazaAli
You sound like me,but I try to be more polite :3
Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

Jesus even on the least divine and inspired reading of the New testament was clearly more than a man. We are told in the new testament

- Jesus created the heavens and the earth

- Jesus has all power and authority on heaven and on earth.

- Jesus will personally judge all people.

- Jesus shares the divine name with God. YHWH.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Philokalia

No offense, but the idea of Jesus being a God, part God, son of God, God in human form...etc is pretty absurd to me really. It simply does not make any sense whatsoever. Not to mention the "Jesus died for yours sins" thing.GazaAli

So long as you take into consideration the terms and words used to define these doctrines, be it trinity, hypostatic union and the like these concepts make reasonable and logical sense. The only problem is getting people to understand the terminology behind them, that is of personhood, essences and distinctions between the two and the same.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GazaAli
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]No offense, but the idea of Jesus being a God, part God, son of God, God in human form...etc is pretty absurd to me really. It simply does not make any sense whatsoever. Not to mention the "Jesus died for yours sins" thing.FMAB_GTO
You sound like me,but I try to be more polite :3

I'm usually less blunt, but haven't commented on this matter much.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GazaAli

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]No offense, but the idea of Jesus being a God, part God, son of God, God in human form...etc is pretty absurd to me really. It simply does not make any sense whatsoever. Not to mention the "Jesus died for yours sins" thing.Philokalia

So long as you take into consideration the terms and words used to define these doctrines, be it trinity, hypostatic union and the like these concepts make reasonable and logical sense. The only problem is getting people to understand the terminology behind them, that is of personhood, essences and distinctions between the two and the same.

That is the point, their definitions are usually chaotic and contradicting that I don't buy it really.
Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Philokalia

That is the point, their definitions are usually chaotic and contradicting that I don't buy it really. GazaAli

Contradicting how? Please demonstrate this.