Is this a deliberate insult against European Christians?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Well the EU produced a diary calendar that they are distributing in European Schools. But there is a controversy: While The Calendar includes Jewish, Sikh, Buddhist and other holidays (including "Europe Day"), it does not mention ANY Christian holidays (for Instance Christmas merely appears as "December 25").

Oh well, I guess Christians aren't the only ones offended: The Eu spent 28 Million Euros on these calendars, so I imagine European taxpayers would be offended to.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

Well the EU produced a diary calendar that they are distributing in European Schools. But there is a controversy: While The Calendar includes Jewish, Sikh, Buddhist and other holidays (including "Europe Day"), it does not mention ANY Christian holidays (for Instance Christmas merely appears as "December 25").

Oh well, I guess Christians aren't the only ones offended: The Eu spent 28 Million Euros on these calendars, so I imagine European taxpayers would be offended to.

whipassmt

Feels like these days liberals act like christianity never existed . These P.C people have gone to far and need to stop. They avoid putting the biggest religion ever on their calender incase the very mention of christianity might hurt some ones feelings .

-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 -Big_Red-
Member since 2006 • 7230 Posts
I find it really strange that they completely exclude the biggest religion ever. Sound deliberate to me.
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

Seems pretty deliberate...they included all of those other religions and somehow managed to leave Christianity out.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Wow.. That's actually scary to me.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Sounds pretty stupid.

To include the small minority religious holidays, but not the majority(or near) ones.

Especially not Christmas, a holiday that an overwhelming majority (religious or not) celebrate.

rockinplanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rockinplanes
Member since 2010 • 266 Posts

Oh my gosh.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
It could have just been a typographical error, but who knows.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Maybe they just assume that any European with any sort of a brain will know what day Christian holidays fall on.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 whipassmt

It could have just been a typographical error, but who knows.Theokhoth
except it wasn't just Christmas that wasn't mentioned, Easter or any other Christian holidays weren't mentioned, although Chinese festivities where mentioned (on a calendar designed for Europeans).

MattDistillery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MattDistillery
Member since 2010 • 969 Posts

I'm European...... I don't care at all

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Could be a large number of things. The obvious answer that witch hunters prefer would be a deliberate intention to leave Christian holidays out simply out of spite. Also could easily have been accidental while searching for obscure holidays. I like to not jump to conclusions.

rockinplanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rockinplanes

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]It could have just been a typographical error, but who knows.whipassmt

except it wasn't just Christmas that wasn't mentioned, Easter or any other Christian holidays weren't mentioned, although Chinese festivities where mentioned (on a calendar designed for Europeans).

Europe has more Muslims than Europeans so it's kind of practical.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
That's just stupid...
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 whipassmt

Sounds pretty stupid.

To include the small minority religious holidays, but not the majority(or near) ones.

Especially not Christmas, a holiday that an overwhelming majority (religious or not) celebrate.

dercoo

lol. The link I provided links to site that links to a site that says that if the EU didn't recognize Christmas as a holiday on their calendar than why were they not at work that day.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

From what I gather, it's not a diary that lists important dates, but rather a planner, tailored to each EU member nation, with interesting facts given for each week. Among the facts on human trafficking and definitions of EU bodies are mentioned several events which pupils from the country might be unaware of.

To be fair, the whole booklet seems like a waste of time, but I wouldn't in any way consider what it purportedly does as an attack on Christianity.

phillo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 phillo99
Member since 2005 • 2369 Posts

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]It could have just been a typographical error, but who knows.rockinplanes

Wait, what?

KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

It's being distributed in schools, so I doubt many will look into it that much - and people know the dates anyway.

I doubt many will be offended though, most people I know buy calendars just for the pretty pictures of cars, women, wonders of the world and such like.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Well how many "ordinary" calenders with the christian holidays, have the holidays from other religions on it aswell?
osiris667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 osiris667
Member since 2005 • 484 Posts

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]It could have just been a typographical error, but who knows.rockinplanes

Too much time on /int

rockinplanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rockinplanes

[QUOTE="rockinplanes"][QUOTE="whipassmt"]except it wasn't just Christmas that wasn't mentioned, Easter or any other Christian holidays weren't mentioned, although Chinese festivities where mentioned (on a calendar designed for Europeans).

osiris667

Too much time on /int

Never been there actually. I'm more interested in the perverted side of the board.
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

That is completely absurd. Does Christianity's holidays somehow insult everyone, but Judaism's or Islam's doesn't? Give me a break. As a non Christian I still find this absurd.

Steingrimur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 Steingrimur
Member since 2005 • 3561 Posts

I am very European and I really can't see the problem here. It seems to me this calendar is about learning and understanding other peoples and their holidays, and not about mentioning holidays that are extremely obvious to the vast majority of Europe. Europeans are not as religious as... Any other part of the world, but we know our holidays, Christmas is for example my favourite time of the year, but I don't care if the calendar only mentions it on the 25th... I guess there will be some protest and a possible change of the calendar, but I won't shed a tear one way or the other.

Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

That is completely absurd. Does Christianity's holidays somehow insult everyone, but Judaism's or Islam's doesn't? Give me a break. As a non Christian I still find this absurd.

carrot-cake

My thoughts exactly. This is bull****. Political Correctness needs to die an ugly death.

pspdseagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pspdseagle
Member since 2007 • 3307 Posts

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

Really?

fooZar777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fooZar777
Member since 2009 • 611 Posts

This doesn't seem like a problem to me.

svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

Postscriptum: I verified. In fact the diary is distributed to schoolchildren all over Europe (not just the UK). 3.3 million copies have been produced at a cost of 28 million €.

I seriously doubt it will be distributed throughout entire Europe, I guess he thinks EU = Europe.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
That's incredibly stupid.
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

Solution, strip calenders of all religious hoplidays.

Problem solved.

M55M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 M55M
Member since 2009 • 121 Posts
The thing that cracks me up is Muslims celebrate Christmas. Why to know a thing or 2 about Islam there/
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="rockinplanes"][QUOTE="whipassmt"]except it wasn't just Christmas that wasn't mentioned, Easter or any other Christian holidays weren't mentioned, although Chinese festivities where mentioned (on a calendar designed for Europeans).

pspdseagle

Really?

Yes, because Islam is a nationality.
rockinplanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rockinplanes
[QUOTE="pspdseagle"]

[QUOTE="rockinplanes"] Europe has more Muslims than Europeans so it's kind of practical.Theokhoth

Really?

No, Europeans are a religion.
M55M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 M55M
Member since 2009 • 121 Posts

[QUOTE="pspdseagle"]

[QUOTE="rockinplanes"] Europe has more Muslims than Europeans so it's kind of practical.Theokhoth

Really?

Some mark it as a their race.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
Normally I think these controversy's are nothing, but that's pretty damn weird.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="pspdseagle"]

Really?

M55M

Some mark it as a their race.

Indeed; which is why Semites can't possibly be European.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

Uhh no. Muslims are still a minority (albeit a growing one) in Europe and thus, the EU needs to include all holidays on the calendar, including Christian ones. If Muslims can't deal with it, then they need to move IMO.
Steingrimur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Steingrimur
Member since 2005 • 3561 Posts
Most Europeans see the benefits the EU provides, while most are aware of the fact that the EU spends a whole bunch of money on needless things like this calendar. It's like living in a dysfunctional family, where nobody can agree on anything important, so everybody just runs around doing things for the sake of doing things.
rockinplanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rockinplanes

the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Uhh no. Muslims are still a minority (albeit a growing one) in Europe and thus, the EU needs to include all holidays on the calendar, including Christian ones. If Muslims can't deal with it, then they need to move IMO.

As we're the majority in Europe, we decide. And we decided that Christian holidays are not important. Deal with it.

Blu_Falcon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Blu_Falcon37
Member since 2006 • 4041 Posts

Now here's the big question... Who cares? If you don't like it, then don't use it. Problem solved.

the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 the_ChEeSe_mAn2

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"][QUOTE="rockinplanes"] Europe has more Muslims than Europeans so it's kind of practical.rockinplanes

As we're the majority in Europe, we decide. And we decided that Christian holidays are not important. Deal with it.

Where is the proof?
rockinplanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rockinplanes
[QUOTE="rockinplanes"]

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"] Uhh no. Muslims are still a minority (albeit a growing one) in Europe and thus, the EU needs to include all holidays on the calendar, including Christian ones. If Muslims can't deal with it, then they need to move IMO.the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Where is the proof?

Well I don't need proof to say christian holidays are not important. It's not that they're bad, it's just that ours are better.
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 the_ChEeSe_mAn2

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"][QUOTE="rockinplanes"]

rockinplanes

Where is the proof?

Well I don't need proof to say christian holidays are not important. It's not that they're bad, it's just that ours are better.

Right...I am just going to stop right here and avoid getting suspended should I decide to state my mind on religions and religious holidays.

rockinplanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rockinplanes

[QUOTE="rockinplanes"][QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"] Where is the proof? the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Right...I am just going to stop right here and avoid getting suspended should I decide to state my mind on religions and religious holidays.

You can still find the right path.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

That calendar was made by Richard Dawkins. :P

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
If you don't like the book you don't read it. Easy enough don't you think? Go read this portable bible or something, pretty sure you'll have one if you're christian.
MattDistillery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MattDistillery
Member since 2010 • 969 Posts

Most Europeans see the benefits the EU provides, while most are aware of the fact that the EU spends a whole bunch of money on needless things like this calendar. It's like living in a dysfunctional family, where nobody can agree on anything important, so everybody just runs around doing things for the sake of doing things. Steingrimur

In reality the Benefits of the Eu are vast outweighed by the cons...I mean£7billion to Ireland from just the Uk, they got independance and thats what they are let them die an independant financial death so the can restructure there economy circa Iceland. Any country thats had a vote on joining the Euro at referendum has declined as they did on the Eu constitution and Lisbon treaty its not the will of the people but a political cass who have goals.

It should have stayed as a free trade zone and nothing more. I'm all for th UK leaving it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts
Obvious a deliberate action. It's not a day that would easily skip one's mind.
Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
That's just dumb and zealous.
dartboy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dartboy2
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Seems impossible to be an accident. Their agenda is clear. Europe is one Godless country now.