Here's what the GOP promises to do for YOU

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

*looks at all of those countries that "ration" health care* hmmm many seem to have significantly healthier populations than we do. odd...

http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html

http://www.allcountries.org/ranks/preventable_deaths_country_ranks_1997-1998_2002-2003_2008.html

http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthy_life_table2.html

http://www.photius.com/rankings/world_health_performance_ranks.html

http://www.photius.com/rankings/total_health_expenditure_as_pecent_of_gdp_2000_to_2005.html

airshocker

I'm not okay with a system that prevents a woman from getting treatment that works against breast cancer because it's too expensive.

I'm not okay with a system where bureaucrats are in charge of what options I can choose to help me.

for the record BOTH of those have happened in the US under current systems.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

the democratic party doesnt set health care premiums. If you dont like insurance companies raping you financially... maybe you should be blaming the insurance companies.

that would afterall, be logical.

markinthedark

It's logical to blame the party that pushed through legislation that gives the health insurance companies an excuse to raise premiums.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Guybrush_3

Proof?

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

yeah we should have gone to a single payer system so that we could kill BS excuses for insurance companies to hike rates, and save that %15+ of pure profit that they are taking off of the top.

airshocker

Yeah because rationing healthcare is such a great idea!!!!

Republicans don't seem to have that big an issue with rationing when it's the insurance companies that are doing it.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#105 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

We seem to be talking about two entirely different things here. :P

airshocker

No I know what you're saying Gabu, but before I lambaste them I want to see what gets done. :P

Tsk, tsk, is that the-end-justifies-the-means logic I hear coming from you...? :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Republicans don't seem to have that big an issue with rationing when it's the insurance companies that are doing it. -Sun_Tzu-

One of the good things the healthcare billed fixed.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#107 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Here's what the democratic party says they will do for you!

Fix economy - Not done

Human rights! Human rights! - The current democratic president is a social conservative and so are many democrats!!

Let the bush tax cuts expire! - Damn we need someone to pay for our failure of a healthcare bill huh?

markinthedark

how could they fix the economy with the GOP putting a policy in place to halt all activity in the senate?

and we dont need someone to pay for the healthcare bill... if i recall its projected to actually save money. What we need someone to pay for is the fact that millions of american jobs are gone and not coming back... and thats a whole ton of tax revenue that has disintegrated.

I don't care what happened, it was promised and it was not kept, end of story.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

airshocker

Proof?

It's pretty well-known now that insurance companies do everything in their power to make sure that they pay for as little treatment as possible. A sick insured person who requires treatment is referred to as a "medical loss" in the insurance industry. And yes, this means that they have denied covering life-saving treatments, like treatment for breast cancer, for the sake of profit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Tsk, tsk, is that the-end-justifies-the-means logic I hear coming from you...? :P

GabuEx

I'm going back to Assassin's Creed and pretending all my targets are you. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#110 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

In regards to healthcare, I think the dems really should have pushed the issue that the current system is not sustainable. Even if you have insurance today, you will likely NOT be able to afford it in the future the way things are progressing. That way the 70% of the population with insurance may take more of an interest in the debate. That doing nothing is not an option. The status quo won't remain with inaction.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Yes, because premiums have been going up for YEARS ANYWAY.-Sun_Tzu-

I have never had a premium increase like the ones I've been getting. It's insane. Don't talk to me about your coveted democratic party when they don't seem to be helping me out AT ALL.

I'll take my chances with the Republicans being obstructionists.

Nothing that the Republican party has said it will do vis-a-vis health care will either improve the quality of care, the availability of said care, or make it more affordable. The funny thing about the slogan "repeal and replace" is that they have nothing substantial to replace it with (especially considering that for the past 20 years or so most Republican and conservative politicians and think tanks supported almost the exact same health care reform that the democratic party passed, but since the democratic party supported it they had to oppose it, and now they have nothingto support really).

"Repeal and Replace" is utterly idiotic when you consider the fact that the Republicans literally do not have the number of votes required to do that. If they try to pull that, the president can just veto it, and no way are they getting a two-thirds vote to override that veto.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

airshocker

I'm going back to Assassin's Creed and pretending all my targets are you. :P

I love you too. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

It's pretty well-known now that insurance companies do everything in their power to make sure that they pay for as little treatment as possible. A sick insured person who requires treatment is referred to as a "medical loss" in the insurance industry. And yes, this means that they have denied covering life-saving treatments, like treatment for breast cancer, for the sake of profit. -Sun_Tzu-

But now they can't.,

Whereas Britain's NHS is no dream option to this day.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Guybrush_3

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

airshocker

Proof?

http://www.globe-democrat.com/news/2010/nov/17/man-denied-new-liver-because-of-cost/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/17/eveningnews/main5318652.shtml

and every health insurance company ever has bureaucrats deciding your options. What medications they will pay for, what doctors and procedures they will pay for etc.

cobrax55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 cobrax55
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

airshocker

Proof?

um...it happens all the time.

http://www.kmbc.com/r/4539521/detail.html

http://www.carcinoid.org/content/what-if-insurance-wont-pay

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/cancer/articles/2009/02/05/cancer-patients-often-stranded-in-health.html

I worked in a hospital this summer. And I can tell you first hand that insurance will try to wiggle their way out of paying for virtually every expensive medication they can get away with. And if you have **** insurance, you are screwed if you get sick with something expensive.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Here's what the democratic party says they will do for you!

Fix economy - Not done

Human rights! Human rights! - The current democratic president is a social conservative and so are many democrats!!

Let the bush tax cuts expire! - Damn we need someone to pay for our failure of a healthcare bill huh?

AutoPilotOn

how could they fix the economy with the GOP putting a policy in place to halt all activity in the senate?

and we dont need someone to pay for the healthcare bill... if i recall its projected to actually save money. What we need someone to pay for is the fact that millions of american jobs are gone and not coming back... and thats a whole ton of tax revenue that has disintegrated.

From what I heard arent the states required to pay into the healthcare? I may be wrong but I coulda sworn I heard that. So while it may cost less for federal someone the states have to make up difference?

i honestly dont have a clue... i suppose its possible. But even so its a moot point.... the heathcare bill isnt responsible in the slightest for the federal or state defecits. Its the fact that we lost millions of jobs.

trying to somehow make the healthcare bill responsible is simply ludicrous... its a political tactic and nothing more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I love you too. :P

GabuEx

I'm just kidding. I'm pretending they're someone else, and no, not you Sun_Tzu. :P

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Guybrush_3

And you know what. Screw EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU that is against the healthcare bill. If it weren't for that bill. In a few months I would be off of my parents insurance and have not be able to pay for my $400 a month worth of medication that I need.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]It's pretty well-known now that insurance companies do everything in their power to make sure that they pay for as little treatment as possible. A sick insured person who requires treatment is referred to as a "medical loss" in the insurance industry. And yes, this means that they have denied covering life-saving treatments, like treatment for breast cancer, for the sake of profit. airshocker

But now they can't.,

Whereas Britain's NHS is no dream option to this day.

Not if the Republican base gets its way and repeals the health care law. As for the NHS, there are a lot of things not to like about it, but the NHS outperforms the U.S. health care system in a lot of ways and it is much, much cheaper. And it's also very, very popular - not even Thatcher could get rid of it and no Tory with any political ambition whatsoever would today (at least publicly) oppose the NHS. That's usually what happens with social services that the government provides - the conservatives provide opposition initially but once the public (including conservatives) come to see that they like what the government is doing, a bipartisan consensus is formed amongst the public. Just look compare the rhetoric of the tea party to their views on medicare and social security - which is why the line "keep your government hands off of my medicare" is so unintentionally brilliant.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

http://www.globe-democrat.com/news/2010/nov/17/man-denied-new-liver-because-of-cost/

and every health insurance company ever has bureaucrats deciding your options. What medications they will pay for, what doctors and procedures they will pay for etc.

Guybrush_3

All right, I'll concede that but it still doesn't prove the government can do it any better. The government cares about money too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Not if the Republican base gets its way and repeals the health care law. As for the NHS, there are a lot of things not to like about it, but the NHS outperforms the U.S. health care system in a lot of ways and it is much, much cheaper. And it's also very, very popular - not even Thatcher could get rid of it and no Tory with any political ambition whatsoever would today (at least publicly) oppose the NHS. -Sun_Tzu-

This law SHOULD be repealed and replaced with something BETTER.

No one is saying it's entirely bad, but there are definitely some bad parts to it.

Who knows, maybe Paul Ryan who TOLD Obama what the healthcare bill would do, and he was right, will get a chance to add some of his fixes.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

And democrats did this when republicans were in power so what its called politics.

Its nothing new at all its just a way to spin news to blame republicans

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Guybrush_3

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

airshocker

All right, I'll concede that but it still doesn't prove the government can do it any better. The government cares about money too.

The government isn't for profit. They don't have to consider it a loss when someone gets sick. They aren't trying to make huge profits like corporations are. All they need to cover is operating costs. (about 5% compared to 20% average that most insurance companies take off of the top)

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 markinthedark

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

the democratic party doesnt set health care premiums. If you dont like insurance companies raping you financially... maybe you should be blaming the insurance companies.

that would afterall, be logical.

airshocker

It's logical to blame the party that pushed through legislation that gives the health insurance companies an excuse to raise premiums.

so the culprit are the people that give insurance companies an excuse and not the insurance companies themselves? doesnt that sound a little ridiculous?

insurance companies are always looking for an excuse to hike rates... the healthcare bill is going to give them millions of new customers... they arent going out of business if they dont hike rates, they just love making money.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

*looks at all of those countries that "ration" health care* hmmm many seem to have significantly healthier populations than we do. odd...

http://www.allcountries.org/ranks/preventable_deaths_country_ranks_1997-1998_2002-2003_2008.html

http://www.photius.com/rankings/total_health_expenditure_as_pecent_of_gdp_2000_to_2005.html

airshocker

I'm not okay with a system that prevents a woman from getting treatment that works against breast cancer because it's too expensive.

I'm not okay with a system where bureaucrats are in charge of what options I can choose to help me.

My aunt's insurance wouldn't pay for a few experimental breast cancer treatments. Under our system you don't choose your options, you're insurance company does (unless you're rich or work for the government).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

The government isn't for profit. They don't have to consider it a loss when someone gets sick. They aren't trying to make huge profits like corporations are. All they need to cover is operating costs. (about 5% compared to 20% average that most insurance companies take off of the top)

Guybrush_3

That's not going to prevent them for rationing care. It didn't with the NHS.

I don't trust a system like that and I probably never will.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 GabuEx

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]Not if the Republican base gets its way and repeals the health care law. As for the NHS, there are a lot of things not to like about it, but the NHS outperforms the U.S. health care system in a lot of ways and it is much, much cheaper. And it's also very, very popular - not even Thatcher could get rid of it and no Tory with any political ambition whatsoever would today (at least publicly) oppose the NHS. airshocker

No one is saying it's entirely bad, but there are definitely some bad parts to it.

Who knows, maybe Paul Ryan who TOLD Obama what the healthcare bill would do, and he was right, will get a chance to add some of his fixes.

Out of curiosity, what would 'better" be, and what are the bad parts in it?

cobrax55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 cobrax55

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

airshocker

not, directly, but its worth stating that America is ranked 37th in the world in health care.

I dont know off the top of my head which of those 36 have goverment run health care, but Im seeing a huge amount that do. In fact most of the ones seem to have it.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 wstfld

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]Not if the Republican base gets its way and repeals the health care law. As for the NHS, there are a lot of things not to like about it, but the NHS outperforms the U.S. health care system in a lot of ways and it is much, much cheaper. And it's also very, very popular - not even Thatcher could get rid of it and no Tory with any political ambition whatsoever would today (at least publicly) oppose the NHS. GabuEx

Republican robot mantra: TORT REFORM TORT REFORM TORT REFORM TORT REFORM.....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

GabuEx

I just listed some of the bad parts to it near the beginning of the thread.

Here's something I read a couple days ago that lists what can be done to help fix healthcare.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Republican robot mantra: TORT REFORM TORT REFORM TORT REFORM TORT REFORM.....wstfld

Maybe you should wait for me to respond before you guess at what I'm going to say.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 markinthedark

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

airshocker

That's not going to prevent them for rationing care. It didn't with the NHS.

I don't trust a system like that and I probably never will.

so it boils down to a fear based thing. Some folks are scared of change, others embrace it. But you cant have progress without change. The republican motto does seem to be "its different, be afraid" and it seems like it hit a chord with alot of folks.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]Not if the Republican base gets its way and repeals the health care law. As for the NHS, there are a lot of things not to like about it, but the NHS outperforms the U.S. health care system in a lot of ways and it is much, much cheaper. And it's also very, very popular - not even Thatcher could get rid of it and no Tory with any political ambition whatsoever would today (at least publicly) oppose the NHS. airshocker

I wish that were actually the case, but it isn't. There is nothing more conservative that the GOP can do that insures as many people as the new health care law. Especially considering that the new health care law was originally the GOP plan for around 20 years, being proposed in 1993 as a counter to HillaryCare and being voted for by Scott Brown and signed into law by Mitt Romney in 2006 in Massachusetts. The only thing that the GOP can do is make the health care law worse if they continue to exhibit the same amount of partisanship and ideological dogmatism.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

so it boils down to a fear based thing. Some folks are scared of change, others embrace it. But you cant have progress without change. The republican motto does seem to be "its different, be afraid" and it seems like it hit a chord with alot of folks.

markinthedark

Or, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I wish that were actually the case, but it isn't. There is nothing more conservative that the GOP can do that insures as many people as the new health care law. Especially considering that the new health care law was originally the GOP plan for around 20 years, being proposed in 1993 as a counter to HillaryCare and being voted for by Scott Brown and signed into law by Mitt Romney in 2006 in Massachusetts. The only thing that the GOP can do is make the health care law worse if they continue to exhibit the same amount of partisanship and ideological dogmatism. -Sun_Tzu-

I don't agree with that at all.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

airshocker

Here's something I read a couple days ago that lists what can be done to help fix healthcare.

What Paul Ryan wants to do is effectively privatize medicare, which will inevitably lead to more rationing and less seniors getting the care they need.
cobrax55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 cobrax55

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

airshocker

except its worked so well in every other 1st world country....

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

airshocker

You listed what you saw as bad effects, but I'm asking what parts of the actual act are bad.

As for the link, unless I'm misreading it, it seems as though that's Medicare reform, not general health care reform.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

wstfld

My aunt's insurance wouldn't pay for a few experimental breast cancer treatments. Under our system you don't choose your options, you're insurance company does (unless you're rich or work for the government).

Well you can't really expect them to pay for experimental treatments can you?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
deactivated-5e7f221e304c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#140 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
Member since 2004 • 14645 Posts

i support this 100%. those radical liberals are always wanting to steal money from the rich and as you all know the rich are doing the worst in this economy

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 wstfld

[QUOTE="wstfld"][QUOTE="airshocker"]

Espada12

They called them experimental, when they really weren't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

What Paul Ryan wants to do is effectively privatize medicare, which will inevitably lead to more rationing and less seniors getting the care they need. -Sun_Tzu-

That's conjecture from you. I'm sorry, but I trust Ryan a lot more than an OTer.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]I wish that were actually the case, but it isn't. There is nothing more conservative that the GOP can do that insures as many people as the new health care law. Especially considering that the new health care law was originally the GOP plan for around 20 years, being proposed in 1993 as a counter to HillaryCare and being voted for by Scott Brown and signed into law by Mitt Romney in 2006 in Massachusetts. The only thing that the GOP can do is make the health care law worse if they continue to exhibit the same amount of partisanship and ideological dogmatism. airshocker

I don't agree with that at all.

Don't agree with what? That what the GOP wants to do health care wise will lead to less people being insured? Or that the GOP has supported ObamaCare until it was supported by Obama? Because both statements are true. None of the health care proposals that the GOP has recently made will insure more people - they'll do the exact opposite.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

cobrax55

Then move there. The EU isn't doing so hot. And who can blame them? I wouldn't be willing to pay the kind of taxes they have.

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
While I want the tax cuts to end. In all fairness the Democrats enjoy the childish pouting style of political blocking too.
cobrax55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 cobrax55

[QUOTE="wstfld"][QUOTE="airshocker"]

Espada12

Most socialized systems do. Most insurrances do as well, its just incredibly prolonged because you need a doctor to contact the insurrence agency directly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

... The only thing that the GOP can do is make the health care law worse if they continue to exhibit the same amount of partisanship and ideological dogmatism.-Sun_Tzu-

That's what I don't agree with, apologies.

cobrax55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 cobrax55

[QUOTE="cobrax55"]

airshocker

Then move there. The EU isn't doing so hot. And who can blame them? I wouldn't be willing to pay the kind of taxes they have.

And yet the living conditions are better in many European countries then they are in America...

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 markinthedark

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

airshocker

on a normal basis i would be inclined to agree with you. But we arent treading new ground. Tons of other countries have a plethora of different healthcare systems in place working far better than ours... that have been tested and proven over a very long span of time. We have alot of examples to study and are fully capable of making a very educated decision to improve our healthcare system.

the main problem is, that for your healthcare to be cheaper... someone has to make less money off you. And the people making money, really like making money... and really dont want to see your healthcare be cheaper.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

And yet the living conditions are better in many European countries then they are in America...

cobrax55

I'm living easy enough. Even though my taxes are too high and my premiums are going up.