First Gay NFL player drafted by the Rams

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#251  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i still don't understand why americans are so anti-gay. It's great he got drafted, but USA is really ignorant at least when it comes to this

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#252 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@Riverwolf007: @AmazonTreeBoa: ok if you wanna get technical, he's the first openly gay player :)

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#253 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

i still don't understand why americans are so anti-gay. It's great he got drafted, but USA is really ignorant at least when it comes to this

We're not anti-gay. The media is to blame for how gays are portrayed to the public. The media is so PRO-gay that it makes everyone else who is indifferent to it SEEM against it. This goes on everyday in this country across a wide variety of topics. It's so tiring and I hate it.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 jasean79

@thegerg said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

We're not anti-gay. The media is to blame for how gays are portrayed to the public. The media is so PRO-gay that it makes everyone else who is indifferent to it SEEM against it. This goes on everyday in this country across a wide variety of topics. It's so tiring and I hate it.

"The media is so PRO-gay that it makes everyone else who is indifferent to it SEEM against it."

What do you mean? Do you have any examples of this?

Sure. Remember when the whole Duck Dynasty thing came to light and that guy was quoted saying things about homosexuality? Remember how badly that blew up and every supporter of gay rights and the LGBT community was speaking out against it? That's a perfect example right there. What he said was his own thoughts - he wasn't derogatory in anyway, he used politically correct terms, and was honest about his feelings on the matter. But once again the media jumped right in and escalated it to where it made national headlines and the network had to suspend him, blah blah blah. And then...it died down. He got his job back and all is right in the world.

That's how the media rolls in America. Always looking to make something out of nothing when it comes to topical matters such as homosexuality, race, etc.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 jasean79

@thegerg said:

@jasean79 said:

@thegerg said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

"The media is so PRO-gay that it makes everyone else who is indifferent to it SEEM against it."

What do you mean? Do you have any examples of this?

Sure. Remember when the whole Duck Dynasty thing came to light and that guy was quoted saying things about homosexuality? Remember how badly that blew up and every supporter of gay rights and the LGBT community was speaking out against it? That's a perfect example right there. What he said was his own thoughts - he wasn't derogatory in anyway, he used politically correct terms, and was honest about his feelings on the matter. But once again the media jumped right in and escalated it to where it made national headlines and the network had to suspend him, blah blah blah. And then...it died down. He got his job back and all is right in the world.

That's how the media rolls in America. Always looking to make something out of nothing when it comes to topical matters such as homosexuality, race, etc.

No. The example you've provided is of someone who is anti-gay (the fact that you feel he was being PC and honest about his feelings does not change that). I'm asking for an example of someone who is indifferent (that means that they are unconcerned with or have no interest in something) about homosexuality, but is framed as anti-gay.

I, as an example, am indifferent on homosexuality. In what way can I be framed as anti-gay?

Why? Why do you need an example? Why can't you just accept that not everything that is said in these threads is purely to satisfy your curiosity? Clearly, I wasn't directing that comment towards you, yet you felt the need to comment on it and once again we'll go on our little unending "gerg escapade" of the "why/what/how/when" of a particular point in my post.

Dude, if you're really that curious, do your own research. The world wide web is filled with information - all available at your fingertips. I don't have the desire to sit and construct posts catered to your intuitive mind. What I said is my own opinion formed upon things that I see in the media. Just leave it at that.

God, you're annoying.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@thegerg said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Who's care if a player is gay, straight, or has sex with animals?

My guess would be members of his team. I bet a number of them have a serious issue with showering around him or changing around him. Just saying.

I don't think their feelings should matter.

Well good for you. You have an opinion.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By jasean79

@thegerg:

No, you take it as an opinion. That was mine. I'm sorry that you don't have the supporting documentation that you feel you need to continue on with my conversation, but like I said earlier, it wasn't directed towards you to begin with. You don't like my post? Move on to the next. Plain and simple.

The only fact in this thread is this: You're annoying. And if I could offer any advice to you it would be this: Stay single for the rest of your life if possible. No woman (or man, if that's your thing) will put up with your squabble long term.

Now, if I may, I would ask that you stop commenting on my posts. I'm done. Thanks!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

@jasean79 said:

@thegerg said:

I, as an example, am indifferent on homosexuality. In what way can I be framed as anti-gay?

Why? Why do you need an example? Why can't you just accept that not everything that is said in these threads is purely to satisfy your curiosity? Clearly, I wasn't directing that comment towards you, yet you felt the need to comment on it and once again we'll go on our little unending "gerg escapade" of the "why/what/how/when" of a particular point in my post.

Dude, if you're really that curious, do your own research. The world wide web is filled with information - all available at your fingertips. I don't have the desire to sit and construct posts catered to your intuitive mind. What I said is my own opinion formed upon things that I see in the media. Just leave it at that.

God, you're annoying.

Okay gerg.....let's look at that sentence. Indifference can be spun to mean you do not support gay rights....which you actually don't since you don't give a damn. Not caring about gay rights can actually be considered anti gay depending on the point of view of the person reacting to that sentence.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 LJS9502_basic

@thegerg said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@jasean79 said:

@thegerg said:

God, you're annoying.

Okay gerg.....let's look at that sentence. Indifference can be spun to mean you do not support gay rights....which you actually don't since you don't give a damn. Not caring about gay rights can actually be considered anti gay depending on the point of view of the person reacting to that sentence.

"Indifference can be spun to mean you do not support gay rights....which you actually don't since you don't give a damn."

Then that person would be misinterpreting my post. My post had nothing to do with the rights of others, but rather with the sexuality of others.

That person's point of view does not reflect my post or opinion.

Nope. No misunderstanding. Like I said your post can be seen as anti gay. If you were a public figure and made that statement....you could lose your job....and probably would. It really is that simple.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 LJS9502_basic

@thegerg said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@thegerg said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@jasean79 said:

@thegerg said:

God, you're annoying.

"Indifference can be spun to mean you do not support gay rights....which you actually don't since you don't give a damn."

Then that person would be misinterpreting my post. My post had nothing to do with the rights of others, but rather with the sexuality of others.

That person's point of view does not reflect my post or opinion.

Nope. No misunderstanding. Like I said your post can be seen as anti gay. If you were a public figure and made that statement....you could lose your job....and probably would. It really is that simple.

It can be seen as anti-gay, correct, but it's not. It's quite simple to show how my post was misrepresented. I said nothing about the rights of anyone.

Damn dude you really missed the point. Read the first quote over in this chain. I just showed you how. Language is def not your forte.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 LJS9502_basic

@thegerg said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@thegerg said:

It can be seen as anti-gay, correct, but it's not. It's quite simple to show how my post was misrepresented. I said nothing about the rights of anyone.

Damn dude you really missed the point. Read the first quote over in this chain. I just showed you how. Language is def not your forte.

No, I understand your point. I was simply saying how such a misrepresentation (representing me as anti-gay) of a person requires someone to change the premise of the conversation (in this instance, talking about rights, something that I never commented on). I'm not saying that you're wrong, you're the one that is missing the point.

If you understand it then why are you arguing? Or do you just argue constantly and not know you are doing it?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@thegerg said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@thegerg said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@thegerg said:

No, I understand your point. I was simply saying how such a misrepresentation (representing me as anti-gay) of a person requires someone to change the premise of the conversation (in this instance, talking about rights, something that I never commented on). I'm not saying that you're wrong, you're the one that is missing the point.

If you understand it then why are you arguing? Or do you just argue constantly and not know you are doing it?

I'm not arguing. I was simply saying how such a misrepresentation (representing me as anti-gay) of a person requires someone to change the premise of the conversation (in this instance, talking about rights, something that I never commented on).

Actually it's really not a stretch. You may not have mentioned rights per se but being indifferent is definitely not support.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#274 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

This whole saga has really disappointed me. lts sad to see how many ignorant, misinformed, and hurtful people there still are.. Especially people in the gaming and sports communities. l thought more progress had been made than there apparently has been.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#275  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38685 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:

how is it even possible to be the 1st gay nfl player and show up in 2014?

odds are there have been hundreds over the years.

the 1st gay nfl player was most likely present at the 1st nfl game.

i think it's pretty clear they mean openly gay.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By jasean79

@VendettaRed07 said:

This whole saga has really disappointed me. lts sad to see how many ignorant, misinformed, and hurtful people there still are.. Especially people in the gaming and sports communities. l thought more progress had been made than there apparently has been.

We're sorry you feel that way.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 The_Last_Ride

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

So why are there laws that make it possible to discriminate gays and they can't even get married?

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 jasean79

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

So why are there laws that make it possible to discriminate gays and they can't even get married?

There are no laws that discriminate against gays. And marriage is governed by state. Some states allow it, some don't.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

I personally am still trying to figure out what is providing the impetus and the drive for these crusades.

Probably because we as a society are starting to push for more equal rights while shrugging off the archaic ways of the past. That's like saying pushing for equals rights between ethnic backgrounds was just a fad.

What you're saying is really really dumb. Its still a wonder how you keep posting the same drivel in every thread on topics like these.

You as a society have some odd ranking of priorities and an even odder way of abolishing those "archaic" ways of the past.

You don't have to feel butthurt for me posting drivel in such topics as you can always ignore it.

Yeah it must be really odd to you to push for equality for your fellow man.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 jasean79

@thegerg said:

@jasean79 said:

@VendettaRed07 said:

We're sorry you feel that way.

I don't think anyone is asking for an apology.

Anyway, VandettaRed, reasonable people have to keep in mind that there are just people out there who operate on emotion, not reality. I think that jasean is a good example. As you can see in this very thread he is enraged when you ask him to support his statements with facts. It is indeed sad that the world is filled with people like him, but we'll continue to progress despite them.

Thank you for the psychoanalysis, Dr. Freud. Who better to call me out on things than the one person who knows me best - why you, of course, gerg!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#282 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

There are no laws that discriminate against gays. And marriage is governed by state. Some states allow it, some don't.

So it doesn't count because it's governed by states? What kind of logic is that?

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 jasean79

@toast_burner said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

So it doesn't count because it's governed by states? What kind of logic is that?

Two separate points. Oh I see, you're saying that Holy Matrimony is a law against gays. Gotcha. Well, bring that up with your State Representatives then if you're unhappy with the way things are right now. I have nothing to do with that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@jasean79 said:

@toast_burner said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Two separate points. Oh I see, you're saying that Holy Matrimony is a law against gays. Gotcha. Well, bring that up with your State Representatives then if you're unhappy with the way things are right now. I have nothing to do with that.

Holly matrimony has nothing to do with marriage. One is a religious ceremony, the other is a legal contract. So yes not letting gays marry is discrimination, and if you're doing it on grounds of religious beliefs like you're suggesting then it is also religious discrimination.

It seems you have no idea what you're talking about.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 jasean79

@toast_burner said:

@jasean79 said:

@toast_burner said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Holly matrimony has nothing to do with marriage. One is a religious ceremony, the other is a legal contract. So yes not letting gays marry is discrimination, and if you're doing it on grounds of religious beliefs like you're suggesting then it is also religious discrimination.

Okay, so marriage. I was using the religious term as I know it. Sorry. However you feel about it makes no difference to me. That's something that you can take up with your State Representatives. Bitch all you want to me about how unfair it is towards gays; still doesn't change the fact that some states allow it and some don't. I don't know what you want me to tell you??

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 The_Last_Ride

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Loading Video...

How do you explain this?

There is no equal rights if gays can't do the same as regular people...

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 jasean79

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Loading Video...

How do you explain this?

There is no equal rights if gays can't do the same as regular people...

They can do whatever they want, if the state permits. I didn't write the laws, don't complain to me about it.

Wait, you're not even from the US, correct? So, why even worry about this?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@jasean79 said:

@toast_burner said:

@jasean79 said:

@toast_burner said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Okay, so marriage. I was using the religious term as I know it. Sorry. However you feel about it makes no difference to me. That's something that you can take up with your State Representatives. Bitch all you want to me about how unfair it is towards gays; still doesn't change the fact that some states allow it and some don't. I don't know what you want me to tell you??

So because you don't have control over it that means it isn't a problem? I have no control over starvation in third world countries does that mean it's ok for me to say it's not a problem?

You have a massively inflated ego.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@jasean79: Because everyone should be able to have a equal rights

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By jasean79

@thegerg: yeah yeah save it for someone who gives a crap. Gays face such hardship in life and are treated so unfairly. Why should I concern myself with them? They don't care what happens in my life so I will show them the same courtesy. Goes both ways, my friend. Now go ahead and call me ignorant and close minded like you always do and make yourself feel superior once again. I'm tired of bickering with you on stupid shit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@jasean79 said:

@thegerg: yeah yeah save it for someone who gives a crap. Gays face such hardship in life and are treated so unfairly. Why should I concern myself with them? They don't care what happens in my life so I will show them the same courtesy. Goes both ways, my friend. Now go ahead and call me ignorant and close minded like you always do and make yourself feel superior once again. I'm tired of bickering with you on stupid shit.

You can say the same about literally anything "So what if homeless people are dying in the street? I have a house and a full belly so it clearly doesn't matter"

News flash, moron. The world doesn't revolve around you.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 jasean79

@toast_burner: You're absolutely right. The world doesn't revolve around me. But things that matter to me is what I concern myself with. Why should I care about what every Tom, Dick, and Harry does in his life? Like I said, some stranger isn't going to involve himself with my problems so why should I with his? I have enough stress in my own life to worry about than to concern myself with others' lives at the moment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@jasean79 said:

@toast_burner: You're absolutely right. The world doesn't revolve around me. But things that matter to me is what I concern myself with. Why should I care about what every Tom, Dick, and Harry does in his life? Like I said, some stranger isn't going to involve himself with my problems so why should I with his? I have enough stress in my own life to worry about than to concern myself with others' lives at the moment.

Nobody is saying you have to care. If you don't like hearing about it on TV then it off. Complaining that the media isn't centred the things you care about is incredibly idiotic.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By Ariabed

@jasean79: "yeah yeah save it for someone who gives a crap. Gays face such hardship in life and are treated so unfairly. Why should I concern myself with them? They don't care what happens in my life so I will show them the same courtesy. Goes both ways, my friend."

Not being funny that's kind of a weird statement, I mean if your hardships were made public by the media, and If they were actual hardships I'm sure there would be some gay people that would be concerned, the fact that your hardships are not made public means only people close to you will care.

So your argument about them not caring about you so why should you care about them is kinda silly. Just saying

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 jasean79

@ariabed: I know. I let "gerg" get the best of me and I spoke out of anger. I'm not as selfish as this post implies; I do try to help others when I can. That dude just gets under my skin and it's like once I head in that direction it's hard to stop. lol

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299  Edited By Ariabed

@jasean79: well I'm glad you didn't take offence to my post I thought you would give me a shitty reply lol

Yeah I've had a few run ins with thegerg, if your not 100% on point with your argument/post he's all over it like a fly on shit.

Try not to let people get under your skin, I have to learn this also :)

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300  Edited By SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

The fact that this thread has 300 posts shows how fvcked up people's priorities are. Does a kiss really offend you that much? It's pathetic.